As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Modern Warfare 2: No killstreaks, Vector only, Final Destination. (Steam Group in OP)

• Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    so, I abused myself all the way though vet

good god there were some horrendous missions

I've not been having too bad of a time on my Veteran run. Admittedly, I'm only at the market, but Wolverines! was nowhere near as hard as I thought it would be.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sivraj wrote: »
    Okay...FUCK whoever thought up the genius gamechat-only-or-you-get-kicked idea. It is now impossible for my friends and I to have any amount of communication without some jackass telling us exactly how "faggy" (?) we are, or some other jackass to talk about how stoned he is. Granted, we can mute them, but this never should have been implemented

I'm not sure if anyone has tried to offer a suggestion to this already (i'm like 8 pages behind)

But for anyone trying to play multiplayer with their friends, here's an alternative to party chat:

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/11/09/alternative-to-party-chat-in-call-of-duty-modern-warfare-2/

From the site:
    Step One: Go to Xbox.com and log in to your account
    Step Two: From your profile page, click on Privacy Settings (it's just to the right of your avatar)
    Step Three: The top option should say Voice and Text. Set it to Friends Only. Save.

Now whenever you play "Modern Warfare 2" multiplayer you'll only hear people you are friends with.

Basically, you set your "Voice and Text" option to Friends Only. BAM, problem solved :D. I'm not sure if you can do it from your console though. The website only explains how to do it through Xbox.com.

Maybe we could add this to the OP for anyone else wondering how.

You're a god among forumers for finding this. Thanks.

Allforce on
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh, I've been wondering this, is there any difference between the holographic sight and the red dot beyond the shape of the dot you're looking at?

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Bill Cosby wrote: »
    so about the cold blooded perk, it says to destroy 40 enemy killstreak rewards. Is just shooting down aircraft and taking out sentries or is there more to it.

It makes sense that hijacking an enemy care package would count towards it, but I can't confirm that.

Willeth on
  • Options
    da newbda newb New York, New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I was really annoyed that when I fired up the campaign they had to ask me about playing through the offensive content. Anyways, continuing in spoiler:
    I feel like similarly bad things have been done in video games. Maybe people will interpret it differently because you are supposed to shoot civilians, but anyone who gets seriously upset over that needs to calm down. On to the actual substance of the airport scene. I feel like it does a nice job of exposing how terrible war is. It draws parallels to civilian causalities in full scale battles, but the chapter is more poignant because it is a condensed slaughter. I don't know how I feel about the end, when Allen (or whatever your dude's name is) dies. It illustrates how indispensable people are in war, and how ultimately pointless Allen's sacrifice was. But there was no development afterwards, and you were whisked away to Brazil. By doing that, I think that my actions actually lose power. IW sets up an interesting scene, but then doesn't explore the concepts at all.

Whatever. I came for the multiplayer. Single player is mostly just an interactive movie.

da newb on
  • Options
    XausXaus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Biosys wrote: »
    Holy balls.

The ending (spoilars):
    It was good, though it didn't have the same shock that CoD4's ending did, and the plot was so full of holes it was incomprehensible.

Some questions (if they're answerable/anyone can be bothered):
    2. Why the hell does Shephard shoot Roach and Ghost and go all crazy?
    From what I can gather, I think Shephard wanted the war to continue, and anything that would implicate Makarov in the airport assault and possibly end the war and Shephard's quest to be the modern-day Patton needed to go away. That included the surviving members of Task Force 141.
    Shepard mentions losing 30,000 troops at the blink of an eye and that's why he's pissed, was this anything to do with the *COD4 spoiler*
    Nuke detonating in COD4 in Paul Jackson's campaign

I just realized something...
    Modern Warfare 2 = The Rock. The pissed off General who tries to get recognition for all the men who died under his command... except instead of being semi-sane like Ed Harris he's just completely insane and, uh, ends up getting a whole war going and crippling the U.S. and... and... I still haven't figured out exactly what his long term goals were. Seriously. Someone help me here.

Then you have the flares scene which is a huge homage to the end of The Rock with Nic Cage using the flares to call off the air strike on Alcatraz. I, ah, can't think of any other scenes from The Rock and MW2 actually.

Anyway, I guess Modern Warfare 3 = Invasion of Russia. I'm surprised the Russians haven't denounced the game or whatever what with the whole Russian airport massacre etc. etc.

Xaus on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Allforce wrote: »
    Okay...FUCK whoever thought up the genius gamechat-only-or-you-get-kicked idea. It is now impossible for my friends and I to have any amount of communication without some jackass telling us exactly how "faggy" (?) we are, or some other jackass to talk about how stoned he is. Granted, we can mute them, but this never should have been implemented

I'm not sure if anyone has tried to offer a suggestion to this already (i'm like 8 pages behind)

But for anyone trying to play multiplayer with their friends, here's an alternative to party chat:

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/11/09/alternative-to-party-chat-in-call-of-duty-modern-warfare-2/

From the site:
    Step Two: From your profile page, click on Privacy Settings (it's just to the right of your avatar)
    Step Three: The top option should say Voice and Text. Set it to Friends Only. Save.

Now whenever you play "Modern Warfare 2" multiplayer you'll only hear people you are friends with.

Basically, you set your "Voice and Text" option to Friends Only. BAM, problem solved :D. I'm not sure if you can do it from your console though. The website only explains how to do it through Xbox.com.

I have to head off to work now, but I'll add this to the OP when I get back.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Xaus wrote: »
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Biosys wrote: »
    Holy balls.

The ending (spoilars):
    It was good, though it didn't have the same shock that CoD4's ending did, and the plot was so full of holes it was incomprehensible.

Some questions (if they're answerable/anyone can be bothered):
    2. Why the hell does Shephard shoot Roach and Ghost and go all crazy?
    From what I can gather, I think Shephard wanted the war to continue, and anything that would implicate Makarov in the airport assault and possibly end the war and Shephard's quest to be the modern-day Patton needed to go away. That included the surviving members of Task Force 141.
    Shepard mentions losing 30,000 troops at the blink of an eye and that's why he's pissed, was this anything to do with the *COD4 spoiler*
    Nuke detonating in COD4 in Paul Jackson's campaign

I just realized something...
    Modern Warfare 2 = The Rock. The pissed off General who tries to get recognition for all the men who died under his command... except instead of being semi-sane like Ed Harris he's just completely insane and, uh, ends up getting a whole war going and crippling the U.S. and... and... I still haven't figured out exactly what his long term goals were. Seriously. Someone help me here.

Then you have the flares scene which is a huge homage to the end of The Rock with Nic Cage using the flares to call off the air strike on Alcatraz. I, ah, can't think of any other scenes from The Rock and MW2 actually.

Anyway, I guess Modern Warfare 3 = Invasion of Russia. I'm surprised the Russians haven't denounced the game or whatever what with the whole Russian airport massacre etc. etc.
    also the bathroom scene

also, RE: Ghost
    the same voice actor voiced Ghost and Gaz

MrDelish on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Xaus wrote: »
    The shower scene is straight out of The Rock. One of the Rainbow Six games used it too.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

From the site:

IW gets microsoft to remove this in 10... 9...

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »

From the site:

IW gets microsoft to remove this in 10... 9...

Why?

Wasn't IW's thing they didn't want dead folks talking to live ones? This just looks like an additional filter, thus adding more restriction on who you can talk to, not less. I don't see why IW would care.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    meant it as a joke.

Also:
    Ok, stupid question, but is it possible to gain weapon EXP in private matches? I really want the tactical knife addon, but it seems suicide to try to kill that many people with a pistol in a normal game. I might have a chance if I do a deathmatch game with my friends and we all agree to pistols only or something.

Anyone? Bueller?

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    RivulentRivulent Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just finished campaign. Plot sentiments:
    The effects and awe moments were great, but the actual story had way too many plot twists, to the point where it diluted the effect. I also didn't think the end tied up the whole russian war loose end. Do we presume that the attacks stopped? Soap and Price obviously are exiled after being labeled traitors, and I would think in the end Shepard would get his way - that is, to be painted a hero and an influx of patriotism (not that a major attack leveling DC would not have already done it). I always like COD storylines, and I liked this one overall, but there I felt it was too "omg twist" the entire time. Where was the consistency?

Rivulent on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    meant it as a joke.

My humor detector is broken. I must have heard people bitch about that in almost every game I've played.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    meant it as a joke.

Also:
    Ok, stupid question, but is it possible to gain weapon EXP in private matches? I really want the tactical knife addon, but it seems suicide to try to kill that many people with a pistol in a normal game. I might have a chance if I do a deathmatch game with my friends and we all agree to pistols only or something.

Anyone? Bueller?

Nope, for exactly that reason.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Alright, I will make a mental note that anyone who has the advanced addons for pistols is fucking insane then.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Alright, I will make a mental note that anyone who has the advanced addons for pistols is fucking insane then.

I've been running around a bit with the .44 that's included in one of the stock classes. It's good fun.

Fats on
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The USP was my favorite pistol (not counting the M1911) in CoD4, so I actually still put it in a fair amount of my builds. I've been having way too much fun with the M4 and SCAR to use my secondary though

Also I got two AC-130s from care packages today, makes me wish I could actually get a hardlined 10 kill streak so I can rain death more often. I'm completely fine with care packages and Predator missiles though

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

You talking just pistols or machine pistols too? I just got the G18 (2nd machine pistol) and its actually really nice to just use as a primary weapon.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Big surprise, all of the Army dialogue sounds unauthentic.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Drakeon wrote: »

You talking just pistols or machine pistols too? I just got the G18 (2nd machine pistol) and its actually really nice to just use as a primary weapon.

Unless the G18 has the tactical knife addon, it's not included in what I'm talking about.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Taranis wrote: »

So who's hotter, Shakira or Biel

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    SF_DhalsimSF_Dhalsim Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Must shooot people.... wish I wasn't moving..... daaaaaamn yoooooooooou new apartment and rising crime rate at my other plaaaaace.

SF_Dhalsim on
    sig-1355736.jpg
    sig-1355747.jpg
    SC2: XxKhrushchev.539
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sure wish I could play this right now :x

Fucking IW/Activision...

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    MegaDoomerMegaDoomer Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

the army uniforms are wrong too...

i kept trying to figure out what Oscar Mike ment, i have never heard that being used once since ive been in the army

MegaDoomer on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Modern Warfare 2: Things Are Oscar Mike Edition

edit: dammit boomer.

As far as I can make out, it means 'on the move'. One of the guys in ODST says it as well, but it took until now for me to actually try and think about it.

Willeth on
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    With a linear corridor shooter, you really are always on the move.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I say Oscar Mike all the time in the Coast Guard.

But then again those guys are assholes who never listen.

Especially Oscar.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »

Seriously. It seems like they simply watched Generation Kill for research.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    MegaDoomer wrote: »

the army uniforms are wrong too...

i kept trying to figure out what Oscar Mike ment, i have never heard that being used once since ive been in the army

That's right. We say Charlie Mike (Continue Mission) in the Army.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Is J.Lo dead?

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Fucking respawn points and continues. When you die the game should destroy itself.

Algertman on
  • Options
    alivatnaalivatna Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Another single-player campaign question!
    Okay, so for some reason I've yet to understand, Cpt. Price fires a nuke. Then, we cut to some astronaut just chillin in space while a full-scale invasion happens in America and a few seconds later--boom, the ISS is blown up and said astronaut dies.

Wait, what. Why did Price fire the nuke and why did it blow up the ISS?

alivatna on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Algertman wrote: »

Fucking respawn points and continues. When you die the game should destroy itself.

Hurrrrrr

When a game developer has a multi-million dollar budget they could at least hire a consultant to make the game feel more authentic.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

Is Generation Kill any good

Because I've been thinking of watching it

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    alivatna wrote: »
    Okay, so for some reason I've yet to understand, Cpt. Price fires a nuke. Then, we cut to some astronaut just chillin in space while a full-scale invasion happens in America and a few seconds later--boom, the ISS is blown up and said astronaut dies.

Price detonated the nuke in Earth's upper atmosphere in order to cause a huge Electromagnetic Pulse right above the main force of the Russian invasion in America, disabling all but their basic ground troops. Yes, it would hurt the American technology in the area, but as was pointed out earlier in this thread, we just have to bring in tanks and helicopters from a few states over, Russia has to bring them in from fucking Russia, so the EMP hurt them a lot more than it hurt us. Price's analogy was using a large explosion to remove the air and suffocate an oil fire.

The part with the ISS was just the most Michael-Baytastic way of showing the nuke going off. The ISS was a casualty, not the target. It was hit by the nuke's shockwave.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    a Ferreta Ferret 360 Dunk from Half Court Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Rivulent wrote: »
    Just finished campaign. Plot sentiments:
    The effects and awe moments were great, but the actual story had way too many plot twists, to the point where it diluted the effect. I also didn't think the end tied up the whole russian war loose end. Do we presume that the attacks stopped? Soap and Price obviously are exiled after being labeled traitors, and I would think in the end Shepard would get his way - that is, to be painted a hero and an influx of patriotism (not that a major attack leveling DC would not have already done it). I always like COD storylines, and I liked this one overall, but there I felt it was too "omg twist" the entire time. Where was the consistency?
    Just finished it as well, and I would have to agree with you. Too many plot twists, none of which were really tied up. I was actually let down. They were probably hoping their cool knife throw ending sequence would distract people from the fact that they had no real ending. I think the story was told very well; there just wasn't much to it.

a Ferret on
    Battle.net Polite#1852 | 3DS 2681-0927-8518 | Steam
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I love riot shield so much. I've only seen maybe 3 other people using them in the 6 or 7 hours I've played so far. Because of that it seems people have no idea how to handle them, and when I come charging around the corner they usually shit their pants.

Good players will sidestep and knife me, or stick some semtek to it and run but the majority so far just cry as I bonk them over the head with it.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Is Generation Kill any good

Because I've been thinking of watching it

Yeah, but once you see it, it's becomes blatantly obvious that IW just ripped the dialogue.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    BuhamutZeoBuhamutZeo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    alivatna wrote: »

Price detonated the nuke in Earth's upper atmosphere in order to cause a huge Electromagnetic Pulse right above the main force of the Russian invasion in America, disabling all but their basic ground troops. Yes, it would hurt the American technology in the area, but as was pointed out earlier in this thread, we just have to bring in tanks and helicopters from a few states over, Russia has to bring them in from fucking Russia, so the EMP hurt them a lot more than it hurt us. Price's analogy was using a large explosion to remove the air and suffocate an oil fire.

The part with the ISS was just the most Michael-Baytastic way of showing the nuke going off. The ISS was a casualty, not the target. It was hit by the nuke's shockwave.

Stop spreading lies!
    There are no shock waves in space. They pretty much fucked up the physics on this one. The nuke detonated waaay too far away to actually blow away the space station.

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
    BRAWL: 1160-9686-9416