As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 11-11-09: Devour Will

13»

• Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The end of REBELS 10 was glorious.

What was Vril Dox in before this?

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    He tends to pop up anytime there's some cosmic shenanigans going on in the DCU. He had bit parts in Rann/Thanagar War and Adam Strange: Planet Heist, but played more major roles in Invasion, L.E.G.I.O.N. and the previous volume of R.E.B.E.L.S.

Munch on
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The Baseball game in Strange was wonderful

MastaP on
  • Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Re: Daredevil: Shit yeah. I wasn't sure Diggle's run was going to live up to Brubaker's, but man was I wrong if this issue is anything to judge by. Not a lot of action but I really like the plot threads he's setting up.

And the owl actually eats mice apparently. That's pretty messed up.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    And hardened criminals say "poop", but whatever.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    Death's Head showing up in SWORD. You can tell which writers read British transformers comics back in the day.

Bogart on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The original? EXPLAIN!

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    He just pops up doing his thing and is all laconic and sneaky. It's great. Especially when they confront him on his ship.

Bogart on
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Plus, he's transformer-sized.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well, got to pick up Sword now.

Algertman on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You'll have to get past the art though.

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I didn't think the art was so terrible. The only thing that was... weird... was the depiction of Beast (the long snout made him look like a goat/wolf crossbreed).

Delduwath on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It creates a big disjoint considering he's drawn non terribly on the cover.

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I suppose so, but I've read more than one comic where the cover was in no way, shape, or form related to the comic itself (not through art, not through content, not through characters). I don't notice it unless it's really extreme.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I liked the art. He has a different intepretation of Beast than most artists - that's fine by me. The whole style is more cartoony than a standard superhero comic, so as long as he keeps things consistent I think it'll be fine.

Bogart on
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Bogart wrote: »
    I liked the art. He has a different intepretation of Beast than most artists - that's fine by me. The whole style is more cartoony than a standard superhero comic, so as long as he keeps things consistent I think it'll be fine.

The problem is that depicting Beast that way - so clearly out of sync with his 'cat' status - is akin to depicting a human character with entirely different skin-tone. If they had Magneto, but he was Asian or African, wouldn't you be a bit bothered with the artist (there it would be the colorist, of course)?

I mean, it's not like this wolf-Beast is intrinsically worse than cat-Beast; it's just that it's wrong.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    For what it's worth, thinking of Beast as a very intelligent wolf somehow makes more sense to me than thinking of him as a very intelligent cat. I don't know why.

Edit: But, yeah, consistency of at least the basic shape of a dude is not too much to ask for from different depictions of the character.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I don't think your comparison is apt, matt, fraught as it is with racial connotations that don't really exist in the great 'what kind of beast is Beast' debate (the JLA character whose name escapes me, for instance, who is supposed to be black but is constantly drawn and coloured as though she merely had a nice tan). I'd say it's more akin to two different interpretations of Iron Man's armour.

But whatever. I like the art and don't mind wolfy Beast. YMMV.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Bogart wrote: »
    I don't think your comparison is apt, matt, fraught as it is with racial connotations that don't really exist in the great 'what kind of beast is Beast' debate (the JLA character whose name escapes me, for instance, who is supposed to be black but is constantly drawn and coloured as though she merely had a nice tan).

That is basically every black comic book character ever [DC,Marvel,etc].

Caveman Paws on