As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Left 4 Dead - Grabbin' a thread of puke - ATTN lobby leaders, check OP

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    mine always reset.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    FroggyPFroggyP Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It apparently unlocks at 9pm for me. Go Alaska!

According to this new blog post on the official site, it will actually unlock at 8:00PM for us Alaskans. On Monday.

This makes me extraordinarily happy, but then again, Valve Time...

Also the new character bios on the official site are pretty neat, even if they don't offer up any real new information.

L4D had the same time schedule when it was being released. They actually did follow through so who knows!

FroggyP on
    PSN: AnalogSoul
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So it unlocks everywhere at the same time huh. Yup, I will be playing late into the night on a mad campaign marathon. Anyone with me? (Melkster, you want in?)

Also, mind sending me an invite to armadeadon? I've been meaning to ask for the longest time but it kept slipping my mind http://steamcommunity.com/id/gunwarrior

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    So is the game play any different, or does it still boil down to hiding in a corner and melee spamming?

Morkath on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Morkath wrote: »
    So is the game play any different, or does it still boil down to hiding in a corner and melee spamming?

I do not say this often, but:

facepalm

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Kupi wrote: »

facepalm

I'm asking seriously, I haven't followed the development on this one. :P

Last time I played L4D, the strategy was, "OK everyone bunker here, front guys melee spam."

Morkath on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So from reading that small description on the incendiary ammo, is one shot going to be enough to burn the Tank to death, or does the fire only last for a short time? If the former it seems like it would be pretty overpowered against the special infected.

Also @Morkath: They introduced a few new things to keep people from doing that; two of the new infected are basically designed solely to counter camping out in corners, and hiding inside other players and just swinging melee hurts other players now from what I understand. There's also a limit to how much you can melee in a short span of time, unless you ditch your pistol for a specialized melee weapon.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    A quick summary, then:

There are three new Special Infected types:
    The Spitter - Barfs out grenades that turn into acid puddles which severely damage Survivors standing in them. On death, creates a similar puddle. Excellent for corralling the Survivors or stopping the corner huddle.
    The Charger - Can do a ground-based charge, grappling the first survivor he collides with along the way and smashing the others way once he has someone. When he comes to a stop, he starts pummeling the Survivor like the Hunter. Used correctly, can shanghai a Survivor away from the group.
    The Jockey - At close range, leaps onto a Survivor and gains near-total control of their movement. He can pull them away from the group and into the nearest convenient crowd of infected if he likes.

Many finales and crescendos now require you to reach a specific position-- you cannot simply wait out the swarm.

Friendly fire detection is much less forgiving now. Clamp together and you will definitely shoot each other.

So yes, they have addressed the corner-camping problem.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Man I really hate the 12 am/pm shit. Give us the 24 hour clocks already.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    MAPMIP -3 IS ULTRAHIGH TEXTURE RES(USED IN VALVE TRAILERS)

The settings from 3 to -10, which in addition to raping your computer, is GUARANTEED to gross you out.

This should be at the ToTOP

if someone is going to put this in the OP, please please fix the syntax

it is torturous

"the settings from 3 to -10, in addition to raping your computer, are guaranteed to gross you out"

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Missing a LeggMissing a Legg Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

facepalm

Last time I played L4D, the strategy was, "OK everyone bunker here, front guys melee spam."

yeah its totally different now. We spam melee weapons:winky:.

Missing a Legg on
    GT:Missing a legg
    PSN:Missing_a_legg
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    "the settings from -4 to -10, in addition to raping your computer, are guaranteed to gross you out"

I'm sorry I don't have an edit button.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Apparently L4D has a different command. And it requires fucking algebra.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Update:Apparently that's an AI Director command. My friend tells me I'm an idiot and that I have to use two mp_use commands along with the mapmip command for it to do anything.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So I didn't play L4D1 at all, but I played the L4D2 demo and it was pretty fun with 4 people. Anyone still trying to do that 4 pack deal at the last minute that I could get in on or should I just pre-order it now while the offer is still there?

Adus on
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

facepalm

Hypothetically you can, but if a charger/spitter show up while you're doing so you'll get raped so hard you won't even know what happened.

So it's really not worth the risk.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What about rushing. The one thing I came to absolutely loathe about L4D1 were those who would rush the entire level as survivors and it was just so frustrating and non-fun for everyone involved. A little hustle is fine, but just blowing through an entire stage so quickly that the infected spawn only a handful of times was just bullshit.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you're talking vs, it's impossible to say because we don't have access to real vs yet.

I'd say no considering that two of the new special infected can do good against it - chargers can outrun you and jockeys can grab people who happen to lag behind/get caught around a corner and kidnap them.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    cool thanks for the info guys, I think I will end up getting this.

Morkath on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I dunno I think rushing is still viable considering a healthy survivor is pretty hard to catch with anything, and the melee weapons and shotguns are great at making sure survivors don't get caught up by mobs. There are special infected that are OK at tripping people up, and the more open level plans mean that rushing teams that don't communicate are likely to get split up and murdered, but it's not as useless as corner camping seems to be now.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well as long as they can't rush to an event, corner camp through it, and storm off to the next event, I think I can deal with it.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I played the demo a bit earlier today.

God dammit I was planning on not buying this.

Quid on
  • Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Quid wrote: »

But its so fucking gooood!!!!!

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What about rushing. The one thing I came to absolutely loathe about L4D1 were those who would rush the entire level as survivors and it was just so frustrating and non-fun for everyone involved. A little hustle is fine, but just blowing through an entire stage so quickly that the infected spawn only a handful of times was just bullshit.

rushing the level was an effective strategy, but it could still be shut down by strong infected play

and it takes good survivor players, who are communicating and making decisions together, to do a rush properly without leaving very exploitable weaknesses - if one person decides that it's better, for now, to stick to a corner and melee for their life, or everyone bunkers down and then one person decides to make a run for it because they think the special infected are still waiting to spawn, etc.

but to be fair i think it is easier to coordinate a survivor team in such a way than it is to coordinate an infected team. this is mostly because survivors must be so much more careful, as they have everything to lose and a finite amount of resources (health, medkits, incaps, etc), whereas infected players can respawn infinitely and only end up losing small chunks of time if they are foolish, impulsive, incommunicative or otherwise disorganized.

survivors end up being more willing to think and plan together because it is flat-out necessary, whereas infected are way, way more likely to get all lone wolf and just start playing like a pubber in a CS server.

even so, survivor rushing is a tough strategy to pull off in a "real" VS game against a solid team, so i don't think it's a valid criticism of game balance (although if you dislike that style of competitive play that is, of course, totally your prerogative)

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Quid wrote: »

But its so fucking gooood!!!!!

That's his point. Its so fucking good he's going to buy it now.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    FroggyPFroggyP Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

rushing the level was an effective strategy, but it could still be shut down by strong infected play

and it takes good survivor players, who are communicating and making decisions together, to do a rush properly without leaving very exploitable weaknesses - if one person decides that it's better, for now, to stick to a corner and melee for their life, or everyone bunkers down and then one person decides to make a run for it because they think the special infected are still waiting to spawn, etc.

but to be fair i think it is easier to coordinate a survivor team in such a way than it is to coordinate an infected team. this is mostly because survivors must be so much more careful, as they have everything to lose and a finite amount of resources (health, medkits, incaps, etc), whereas infected players can respawn infinitely and only end up losing small chunks of time if they are foolish, impulsive, incommunicative or otherwise disorganized.

survivors end up being more willing to think and plan together because it is flat-out necessary, whereas infected are way, way more likely to get all lone wolf and just start playing like a pubber in a CS server.

even so, survivor rushing is a tough strategy to pull off in a "real" VS game against a solid team, so i don't think it's a valid criticism of game balance (although if you dislike that style of competitive play that is, of course, totally your prerogative)

Evil said it very well. Also think about it from the survivor teams point of view. Normal infected do like 1 damage so there is no reason to slow down and pick them off so they might as well move fast. Also rushing through a stage so infected spawn an a few times is ideal for them. The less special infected they have to deal with the better!

What IS lame though, is survivors who suicide immediately so they can play infected. Sure they will lose but it's really no fun winning if you never get to play infected at ALL.

FroggyP on
    PSN: AnalogSoul
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Okay, looks like Dr. Fink was the first one to contact me, so he's my fourth. I went ahead and pre-bought it, just in case they pull the deal before Monday.

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    WhoaFooglesWhoaFoogles Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So, playing through the demo for the umpteenth time, I tossed a bile jar off into the distance during the panic event to buy us some precious zombie-free moments to hoof it around the fences. Apparently, I tossed it outside of where the infected can path to, and they all stopped where they were and began to do what looked like the "Badgers Badgers Badgers" dance.

It was a bit surreal.

WhoaFoogles on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    i was at a mall in Mass and the best buy had a deal where you get a $10 coupon with a preorder for this
    if my best buy is doing this i might refund my gamestop one

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Looks like the chainsaw uses limited fuel.

Alegis on
  • Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So, playing through the demo for the umpteenth time, I tossed a bile jar off into the distance during the panic event to buy us some precious zombie-free moments to hoof it around the fences. Apparently, I tossed it outside of where the infected can path to, and they all stopped where they were and began to do what looked like the "Badgers Badgers Badgers" dance.

It was a bit surreal.

Ohmygod, no. The instant I read that, the song re-stuck.

I think I need a lie down.

Ashe on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Alegis wrote: »

For Nick's page, it points out a magnum on his hip, but it's actually a completely different pistol

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Alegis wrote: »

Haven't we seen the fuel gage in trailers?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wait, so... tuesday? The 17th?

I coulda sworn it was wednesday the 18th.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    Missing a LeggMissing a Legg Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Has anyone seen any game play of how the grenade launcher? Will the grenade explode on impact or will it bounce around a bit before it goes?

Missing a Legg on
    GT:Missing a legg
    PSN:Missing_a_legg
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wait, so... tuesday? The 17th?

I coulda sworn it was wednesday the 18th.

They moved i back slightly. Which is excellent.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Adus wrote: »
    So I didn't play L4D1 at all, but I played the L4D2 demo and it was pretty fun with 4 people. Anyone still trying to do that 4 pack deal at the last minute that I could get in on or should I just pre-order it now while the offer is still there?

I'm still trying to get in on one. (PM sent) Too bad I have no friends
    who play L4D. :P

enc0re on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you leave the demo early, does it say, "Any unsaved progress will be lost?"

If so, what is that all about?

Also, great game with Gumpy and Lagnar just now.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    A little tip for the 2nd map of the demo. Don't try hiding from a tank in the trailer right before the panic event. You may think you're safe until he decides to drop in from the skylight. D:

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Haha I did that with a friend. We were rushing the level and the tank spawned in the labyrinth. We managed to make it to the trailer, and we started laughing because we had beat the tank and we were going to shoot it to death from our little window.

Oh haha it's climbing up the trailer haha poor sod! ha ha ha hahhhhhh shiiiiiiiiiit *dead*

Satsumomo on