As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Left 4 Dead - Grabbin' a thread of puke - ATTN lobby leaders, check OP

• Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This game is definitely shitloads harder than the first but by no means unbeatable. Its a lot more fun and freakin intense I think. Meh to them.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    How bad do you have to be to lose on easy. Jeez.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    He should train by playing commentary mode.

Maybe he can finish that.

Alegis on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I agree that the game is harder this time around, but what really ticks me off is that his "review" only talks about how hard the game is, and he completely ignores everything else.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well, uh....yesterday my fiancee and I died in the last part of the Parish campaign in easy mode. Of course, we were playing with 2 bots and had never been there before and kind of forgot that tanks + cars = bad things happen.

Even so, we made it through it on the second try.

SteevL on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Maybe he needs more friends

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXQHRUGFdnU

Alegis on
  • Options
    totallytotally Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Best L4D video I have ever seen. good find

totally on
    GT: totallyrobot GSID: totallytotally
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It's definitely harder than the first. I've played through all of the campaigns once on normal, and two of them I didn't survive (but my team still made it).

But it's really not difficult. It's just that you can't really affort to loaf around and be a r-word like you could in the first game. It'll be better for the community in the long run.

You know how Halo 3/MW 2 had the problem of people naturally being too good at the multiplayer, because of their predecessors? This has most definitely not been the case in Left 4 Dead 2, in my experience. Which I consider a good thing, because some players are really just too fucking dumb for their own good, so a higher base difficulty might beat some sense into their heads.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    jdarksun wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Jakorian wrote: »
    Wow, you think they would just get someone else to review it since he can't actually play it.
    Well

I was just listening to their podcast, and the reason is

their entire staff is repeating the same fucking thing
    If my tardsquad of chucklefucks (whom I love dearly) can soldier through Advanced on the PC (occasionally switching to Normal for the finales), I can't fathom complaining about the game being "too hard."

The guy even played L4D1 and said he loved it. I cannot understand the level of difficulty he is having. All you need is at least one finger on each hand to beat easy.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I know this one is harder but has anyone else experienced nearly constant zombie waves not during events? Like probably every 30 seconds.

JRosey on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm shocked an entire review staff couldn't beat anything on Normal, and still had as much difficulty on Easy.

I played Dead Center Normal with SyphonBlue, my wife, and her (our) little nephew. My wife does not play PC games, she's not entirely used to KB&M controls yet. My nephew-in-law does not have a microphone, has been a console gamer his whole life, definitely has issues with KB&M, and never played the first one - this was his first time playing period.

We beat Dead Center on Normal.

With just me and my wife, and 2 tardbots? We beat the Swamp level on Easy. No problem.

A staff of gamers should not be having trouble on Easy, period. I'll give them that Normal is much more difficult, but with a group of 4 competent players it shouldn't bring everyone to the point of quitting.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    I'm shocked an entire review staff couldn't beat anything on Normal, and still had as much difficulty on Easy.

I played Dead Center Normal with SyphonBlue, my wife, and her (our) little nephew. My wife does not play PC games, she's not entirely used to KB&M controls yet. My nephew-in-law does not have a microphone, has been a console gamer his whole life, definitely has issues with KB&M, and never played the first one - this was his first time playing period.

With just me and my wife, and 2 tardbots? We beat the Swamp level on Easy. No problem.

A staff of gamers should not be having trouble on Easy, period. I'll give them that Normal is much more difficult, but with a group of 4 competent players it shouldn't bring everyone to the point of quitting.

Unless they're retarded and not staying together as a group, which pisses the director off.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    LodsiekLodsiek Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah... it sounds like it was less a question of skill, and more that they weren't playing the game as it's meant to be played. I don't care how amazing you are at CS or TF2, if you run off and try to bunny hop Hunters and Smokers four rooms away from your team, you're going to get owned, even on Easy.

Lodsiek on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Stigma wrote: »
    DHS Odium wrote: »

Unless they're retarded and not staying together as a group, which pisses the director off.

There is nothing worse in this world then a pissed of Director. I swear that fucker spawned SI AND a tank just because we were taking to damn long.

Seriously fuck that glorious bastard.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I just got this. I never played l4d 1 outside of the demo BUT if you want to shoot some zombies with me

Steam: projectlameham

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I spammed f5 while I was charging delish out the window of the hotel but all the screenshots turned out real weird :(

iowa on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well the guy writing about L4D2 is on a 360 so what does he expect? I still don't see how any group could have a difficult time on easy. You can't even FF on that...

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    One thing that the review is right about, in my opinion, is that the Director does not always let up on you when your group dies. Sometimes, it seems that after your group has died, the Director tries the same damn tricks again, but earlier the next time.

Does it learn? Does it figure out what types of tricks work on your group and then punishes you with it?

If so, I'm not sure if that's a good idea or a bad idea.

Also, I'm mystified at the rate of health and pills throughout the maps. I remember on one particular Hard Rain run, we seemed to be getting better and better as time went on, and yet the director was placing more and more pills all over the place. It was ... interesting.

Melkster on
  • Options
    ACSISACSIS Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    L4D 1 is not as easy as well.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEnqNaRGNeU
    But thats what makes a challenge, no? I mean the essence of what makes a game is a way of loosing it.
    Strangely a lot of people and designers seem to miss that little detail.

ACSIS on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Are hunting rifles insanely good in versus? A day or so ago were playing on PA versus and the entire survivor team had hunting rifles. They killed our tank that the director spawned without setting him on fire in under ten seconds.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    they probably rolled them because they got stuck with them. HRs are pretty good now though, they're as strong as the military sniper, accurate without the scope and really only lose points in magazine size.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    High damage, low fire rate. Not a crowd control weapon but it has its uses. Personally i prefer a shotgun for the spread but reloading takes time.

ACSIS on
  • Options
    davinciedavincie Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I am worse then a pubby.

davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Are you a shrill-voiced 13-year-old whose vocabulary consists primary of "fag" and "pwned"? You can be as mediocre as you want, but you need some qualifications to rank at/below "pubbie" level.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    davincie wrote: »
    I am worse then a pubby.

Do you actively encourage 2 teammates to go back and help the 4th guy who was downed running to the rescue vehicle in swamp fever? And then immediately run back to the rescue vehicle once we were engaged trying to save him, dooming us to our fate and being the only one to survive? All this after you spent a solid hour playing as a good teammate and all of us working together?

And yes, I am looking at you DemonicSniper875, I hope you rot in hell. I hope they set you up being pounded by a tank with your rescue vehicle to heaven sitting 10 feet away and let you stay there forever.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    hah, nope. you go down on the way to the helicopter you're shit out of luck cause we're finishing this bitch

freakish light on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Well the guy writing about L4D2 is on a 360 so what does he expect? I still don't see how any group could have a difficult time on easy. You can't even FF on that...
    lawl now I did not know that.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    After reading that review I feel alot better about my(lack of) skillz.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Maybe the difficulty wasn't tweaked enough for the 360 version (I don't know, I haven't played that version), but I haven't seen any other reviews railing against how hard it is, and most reviews I've seen have been for the 360 version.

In any case, let's just drop it, it's not like this is a big deal. I guess guy just can't play and is blaming it on the game. *shrug*

subedii on
  • Options
    Ace JonAce Jon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Stigma wrote: »
    If I know anything about L4D it's that having two skilled players on your team can balance out the other two weaksauce players.
    Yes. Just today me and some randomer were stuck with two bots on a VS pub game on Dead Center 3. We never got to play as the infected on the map as the whole other team quit after we got into the saferoom on green health with medpacks to spare. Two good players is enough.

Ace Jon on
    Yours truly, Ace Jon.
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    hah, nope. you go down on the way to the helicopter you're shit out of luck cause we're finishing this bitch

Seriously. Even my fiancee knows this. I've left her countless times and there's no ill-will there. Once you are in board the rescue vehicle mode, down is out.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    In any case, let's just drop it, it's not like this is a big deal. I guess guy just can't play and is blaming it on the game. *shrug*

Probably a lot of them have not seen a game wich can be failed in decades.

ACSIS on
  • Options
    Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Seriously. Even my fiancee knows this. I've left her countless times and there's no ill-will there. Once you are in board the rescue vehicle mode, down is out.

Yes, I agree. Unless the person going down needs the achievement and everyone agrees to do the finale a second time. At the point in time you agree to a second play of the finale, you go down with the rest of the team. You don't encourage it, let the other 2 people go down and finish it. That is some rude shit. Just say, no, we did it, and I'm getting on that helicopter. At that point I have zero ill will toward you. And in this case, this guy talked me into doing it. I was the one saying it's time to go and finish this.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    How do the tanks and helicopter work in the Parish finale? Are you guaranteed to get 2 tanks on the bridge and then panic mode when the helicopter gets there, or is it all just based on how long you take?

Zek on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    In my experience its always two, the first one seems to arrive at the same point across the bridge and the second right at the end.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've only ever seen one Tank during the finale, but it's probably because I run like a Kenyan across that bridge. I think a second one spawns, but I've never let it catch me. I've also only finished that finale once so far.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Guys, remember you gotta shoot the clowns!

I hope nobody forgets to shoot the clowns.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Guys, remember you gotta shoot the clowns!

I hope nobody forgets to shoot the clowns.

That does get annoying. Yes, I'm going to shoot the clown/mudmen/police (in the back). You don't need to tell me. The FF responses are fine because they let you know some FF went on. The Tank ones even work because holy shit tank, I'd be screaming too.

Hey guys. I just figured this out from some in game dialogue. Shoot the zombies, not your teammates.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think it's also meant to be a more passive way to let you know that an uncommon common is around.

Odds are the character will say something before all four players have seen it.

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    Maybe the difficulty wasn't tweaked enough for the 360 version (I don't know, I haven't played that version), but I haven't seen any other reviews railing against how hard it is, and most reviews I've seen have been for the 360 version.

Or he could be a feeble little bleep.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png