As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The car thread: A Toyotathon of Death

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I saw a ferrari 550 today, black

It isn't nearly as nice as the 599, but I was happy to see it anyway

then it pulled away and I noticed it has a custom rear numberplate

it said "Player"

I was disgusted

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That Cadillacs front end looks almost exactly like a squared off version of an '03 mazda protege 5.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    17211.jpg

posted this image so many times

That cadillac looks wieeerd

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Looks like a BMW with after market parts

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Pity it shares damn near nothing with the BMW

The european manufacturers, from the Aussie point of view, Have managed to make the most exciting engine, the most amazing handling, dull as fuck. So Holden took only the slightest styling cues from europe, and again with the engine, and made them genuinely fun.

Extravagance only gets you so far, but HSV is world renowned for delivering enjoyment and the feel of strong, old school muscle

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You sound like a press release.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    And it is revealed.

http://jalopnik.com/5487397/cadillac-cts+v-wagon-bigger-longer-and-more-uncut

ugly.jpg

I'm going to go ahead and establish that if you like this in any way, you are wrong.

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pity it shares damn near nothing with the BMW

The european manufacturers, from the Aussie point of view, Have managed to make the most exciting engine, the most amazing handling, dull as fuck. So Holden took only the slightest styling cues from europe, and again with the engine, and made them genuinely fun.

Extravagance only gets you so far, but HSV is world renowned for delivering enjoyment and the feel of strong, old school muscle
    Is that why Chris Harris describes the M5 Tourer as "a hot rod"?

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Here we go again.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    TBH, just curious, have you driven an HSV? Or an M5/equivalent?

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The Car Thread of Perpetual Cadillac Bickering

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    Faricazy wrote: »
    oh my lord

escaflowne: the car

wow

08bertonepandionlive.jpg

07bertonepandionlive.jpg

09bertonepandionlive.jpg

13bertonepandionlive.jpg

15bertonepandionlive.jpg

11bertonepandionlive.jpg

17bertonepandionlive.jpg

02bertonepandionlive.jpg

20bertonepandionlive.jpg

22bertonepandionlive.jpg

god that interior is hideous
    I would feel like I was sitting in a dental clinic

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    This isn't about Cadillac, this is about TBH having skewed opinions about what makes a car "dull" because of what he reads in magazines.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    KasanagiKasanagi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't hate cadillac design, but it's far from my favorite aesthetic.

If/When I replace my altima, I want something small. Really small. I dunno if I can rationalize getting a miata, but a 2-door hatchback or a two-seater like a miata, S2000, MR2, would be right up my alley. Cheap, fast, fun, and reliable, that's my goal.

Don't understand the fascination with big cars. Even in the world of exotics, I find that I like the smaller ones (Ferrari 430, Aston Martin Vantage) more than their bigger brothers.

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Kasanagi wrote: »
    I don't hate cadillac design, but it's far from my favorite aesthetic.

If/When I replace my altima, I want something small. Really small. I dunno if I can rationalize getting a miata, but a 2-door hatchback or a two-seater like a miata, S2000, MR2, would be right up my alley. Cheap, fast, fun, and reliable, that's my goal.

Don't understand the fascination with big cars. Even in the world of exotics, I find that I like the smaller ones (Ferrari 430, Aston Martin Vantage) more than their bigger brothers.

2 of those 3 cars are no longer being made.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm aware of that. I'm in no position to buy "new" for a long time.

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well,

We've got the Mazda2 coming in the summer, no doubt with a tiny engine but there should be an aftermarket for it. Same with the Fiesta.

The next Focus should be getting a variant with a 200hp+ 2.0L Ecoboost in the US, possibly called SVT but that could be a separate model.

There's the GTI, of course, but that could be too big for you. There is a fantastic Polo GTI but we won't be getting it.

Hyundai will be releasing a production version of the Veloster concept, a tiny 2+2 that supposedly will come with a decent engine; they've quoted the CRX several times as inspiration.

And then there's Honda's hybrid take, the CRZ. Which I think looks fantastic but we'll see how peppy the drivetrain is.

Here's a car I'm really excited about, even though it's larger: VW New Compact Coupe

01_vwnewcoupeconceptlive.jpg

02_vwnewcoupeconceptlive.jpg

21_vwnewcoupeconceptlive.jpg

It's supposed to be an indication of that NA-only Jetta replacement that we'll be getting. It looks like a 7/10th's Audi A5. If the four-door ends up looking as nice (I really prefer sedans) and comes with a decent engine (almost certain from VW), I will be looking at this car hard.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well,

We've got the Mazda2 coming in the summer, no doubt with a tiny engine but there should be an aftermarket for it. Same with the Fiesta.

The next Focus should be getting a variant with a 200hp+ 2.0L Ecoboost in the US, possibly called SVT but that could be a separate model.

And then there's Honda's hybrid take, the CRZ. Which I think looks fantastic but we'll see how peppy the drivetrain is.

Latest rumors I heard had the new Focus ST/SVT hitting late 2011 with north of 240 Hp. I will be buying that car SO HARD.

And the Honda is apparently fat and slow and totally pointless. It somehow manages to get worse MPG than a Fit.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Oh my GOD that looks good. It's everything I liked about the Scion TC's exterior styling, without all the "youth oriented" interior crap and cheap toyota parts! Do want.

Also, we're getting the Fiesta here? News to me, that's awesome. I saw the TG coverage of it and I was really impressed with it's design.

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Latest rumors I heard had the new Focus ST/SVT hitting late 2011 with north of 240 Hp. I will be buying that car SO HARD.
    So is that the Ecoboost model or will there be two levels of tune on that engine?

Anything north of 200hp should make for a quick car.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    For sale this summer.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Oh my GOD that looks good. It's everything I liked about the Scion TC's exterior styling, without all the "youth oriented" interior crap and cheap toyota parts! Do want.

Also, we're getting the Fiesta here? News to me, that's awesome. I saw the TG coverage of it and I was really impressed with it's design.
    Uh yeah, they've been doing the Fiesta Movement thing since last year. They're coming in the summer. The US variant gets a minor makeover:

2011_ford_fiesta_blue_main_a.jpg

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    post more cars plz

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So is that the Ecoboost model or will there be two levels of tune on that engine?

Anything north of 200hp should make for a quick car.

Ecoboost 2.0

The base Focus will get the boosted 1.6 chucking out a respectable 180hp/180ft lb of torque.

The 2.0 though is currently severely undertunded at 200hp/221ft lb of torque in some cars. Ford first showed that motor putting out 275 hp and even more torque. The possibility is there for a VERY quick car, and with the WRX and Speed3 in the 260-280 range, I'd be very surprised if Ford didn't follow suit.

Focuses have always driven very well, with the performance versions being fantastic to drive. That combination will make for a wonderful car.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I really think they actually fucked up the US fiesta a bit. Sadly, the small changes they made make it look just plainly not as good as the European version. Wish they hadn't screwed with it.

Still a pretty fine looking small car, though. I think only equalled or surpassed by the Versa and Golf.

Amazing how many cars in that segment look like absolute garbage, though.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Hell, that 1.6 might be enough for me.

also, http://toyotasimulator.com/

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    the speed3 is delicious

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    I really think they actually fucked up the US fiesta a bit. Sadly, the small changes they made make it look just plainly not as good as the European version. Wish they hadn't screwed with it.

Still a pretty fine looking small car, though. I think only equalled or surpassed by the Versa and Golf.

Amazing how many cars in that segment look like absolute garbage, though.

Yeah, can't say I like the "makeover" the USDM version gets. Still, if it drives good and looks better in person I might be interested.

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    You can always swap out the hood and bumper.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Uh yeah, they've been doing the Fiesta Movement thing since last year. They're coming in the summer. The US variant gets a minor makeover:

2011_ford_fiesta_blue_main_a.jpg

Oh wow. Everything looks great on this except for the Ford logo- as always.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Man what's wrong with the blue oval?

Faricazy on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's a dinky piece of shit with cursive writing in it and I hate it.

Tam on
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This thread makes me depressed because I will never be in a position where it is financially safe to buy a brand new car.

:(

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    why, are you a philosophy major

Faricazy on
  • Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The best small car has already been made so no one needs to argue about this anymore

1435097982_9259aa32ae_b.jpg

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    IpseDixit wrote: »
    The best small car has already been made so no one needs to argue about this anymore

3236089358_6eee05ee87.jpg

:P

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

3236089358_6eee05ee87.jpg

510/Bluebird is better because it's cheaper and just as sporty

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I like those two cars, the beemer and the datsun.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Tam wrote: »
    It's a dinky piece of shit with cursive writing in it and I hate it.

It could have been THIS
    2250118277_cdd67cc2fa.jpg

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010

2716714257_b9768d72f9.jpg

HEY HO

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
This discussion has been closed.