As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Age of Conan gets first expansion

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Alright, restarted my account and giving this another go. Played with my 37 Necro a bit and it ran fairly well, save for a few pauses when I moved to a large area. I haven't tried any of the new areas yet. I'm just clearing out any quests I had left over in the Khemi areas.

I also started a Khitan Assassin, I'll get her through Tortage on a rainy day. I meant to take some screenshots for the Character thread, but I forgot the Screenshot key is F11 instead of Print Screen.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • bones09bones09 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Archonex wrote: »
    So, I just did my first random encounter. Random encounters occur while traveling to Khitai if you don't pay the fare. Instead of riding as a passenger, you sign up as a guard, ala Fallout's caravan system. You even get paid for your work too.

I love the random encounter system. I'm having to fight the temptation to keep running the trip over and over again.

I'm also enjoying the general feel of the lower level khitai zone - especially over by the forgotten city. That quest to finish the shaman rituals ended up being insane for me. I had to do a lot of maneuvering to survive it. I ended up accidentally pulling one of the more powerful demons while trying to fight about 6 of the weaker ones on the final three stages of the ritual. I got trapped in the middle of the group of them at one point and had to kill one to get out, then all sorts of other craziness involving every trick in the book. I spent about 3-5 minutes at around 200hp and have no idea how I survived.

Random pics:
    khitai2040.jpg
    khitai02.jpg
    That one's on a pve server. I decided to play there for a bit first because I could barely take quests without getting attacked because of all the people running around attacking anything that seems weak/distracted on cimmeria. I wanted to actually read the quest text the first time through.

bones09 on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I haven't actually been able to enter Khitai yet as there is like 20 people who have set up what seems to be a permanent camp over several instances just outside the gates. I eventually just gave up and started leveling an alt instead

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hide is your friend if you have it.

Also, aren't there multiple entrances to Khitai? When I zoned in I was in front of a ruined caravan. Was pretty open, which meant it was easy to slip past any wannabe gankers.

Archonex on
    edited May 2010
    I am talking about Khitai, not the gates to Khitai which is the lowbie zone

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
    edited May 2010
    Neli wrote: »
    I am talking about Khitai, not the gates to Khitai which is the lowbie zone

Ah. I haven't checked that area out yet.

Archonex on
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Reminds me of the stories I heard about WoW's TBC opening on PVP servers.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So hows the population since the expansion? And where can i buy the expansion? I have not seen it in any stores.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Agent CooperAgent Cooper Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Can rangers still track you while you're hiding?

Agent Cooper on
    edited May 2010
    So hows the population since the expansion? And where can i buy the expansion? I have not seen it in any stores.

Word is that Gamestop are being a bunch of cheap assholes and are only shipping something like one copy to most stores in most districts for some reason. Which is odd, since they obviously have plenty more in stock.

Your best bet is to just buy it off the official website if it's still offered there. It's cheap, and if the pre-release offers are still going, you can get a ton of really nice bonuses on top of the base game.

Population wise, the game is booming so far.

I can't speak for rangers, seeing as how i've not played one. However, on my assassin i've not noticed the rangers i've fought tracking me while stealthed. So either that feature is gone, or the people playing modern day rangers really suck.

Archonex on
  • darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man I'm pretty sure what made me originally quit the game was some level 50ish ranger hanging out in the 20 zone killed me while I was getting a quest so I did a /rude or whatever it was to that ranger and he followed me and camped me for like 30-45 minutes. At the time I didn't realize rangers had that track ability so I kept trying to run places and switch zones (but there were only 2 at the time) and this jackass kept camping me. After awhile I read up online and found out about the track ability and said "Fuck this" then unsubscribed.

I was originally looking forward to the PvP aspect of the game, but I couldn't convince any of my friends to join up, and playing solo on a pvp server is enough to turn you off the game completely. I think I'll probably try the expansion at some point, but when I do come back it will definitely be on a PvE server.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
    edited May 2010
    yeah

don't play solo on a PvP server

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    yeah

don't play on a PvP server

Fixed that for ya. :P

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • UnsaltedUnsalted Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    yeah

don't play

Fixed that for ya. :P

Fixed even more!
    No, really I'm kidding. It was just funny to me. :P

Unsalted on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    well

There are parts I like about the expansion so far. New zones. Good. A tiger mount? Hot. A new player race? That's great.

...but the horrible, mind numbing and soul crushing grind they introduced with it all towards the endgame kind of puts a damper on the entire thing. Seriously, it is ridiculous. Hopefully they tweak it (a lot)

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I resubbed a bit before the expansion once I started seeing all the "worth a 2nd look" talk around mmo sites. I'm nowhere near end game, so luckily none of the grind Zzulu is referring to will effect me for awhile.

I really haven't read all too much about the expansion, but the 2 things that intrigue me where the mention of faction pets you can raise into mounts and the alternative advancement system. Sadly, prob both can't really be explored til 80 as well. Oh well.

Decoy on
    edited May 2010
    The alternative advancement system is nice. It reminds me of EVE where you can train passive skills and improvements over time, but in AoC they also let you actively improve it by grinding stuff if you wish (you get more points to invest in skills for grinding stuff). It's a slow slow grind though.

The actual skills you can train, for me, are pretty bad. I am playing a Herald of Xotli and the entire thing kind of felt a little underwhelming to me compared to some of the other classes new toys.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    yeah

You can get plenty of PvP on the PvE servers in border kingdoms and through mini-games. The upside is you can actually do quests without some asshole stabbing you while you talk to an NPC.

Sadly, left to their own devices the average gamer tends to devolve to amazing levels of pointless douchbaggery in open world PvP. I mean, where's the fun in killing someone when they're talking to a quest-giver, or killing people who are 10+ levels lower than you?

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Modern Man wrote: »
    yeah

You can get plenty of PvP on the PvE servers in border kingdoms and through mini-games. The upside is you can actually do quests without some asshole stabbing you while you talk to an NPC.

Sadly, left to their own devices the average gamer tends to devolve to amazing levels of pointless douchbaggery in open world PvP. I mean, where's the fun in killing someone when they're talking to a quest-giver, or killing people who are 10+ levels lower than you?

True. If it wasn't for the constant ganking, I would have loved the PvP server I was on. Murdering or being murdered once in a while is a new thing to look out for, but being stalked by a high-level asshole isn't. This said, on the side of one of the snow mountains in Cimmeria we once had a huge PvP fight over a spawn point. 8-9 assholes from an asshole guild vs 10 or so of us questers and our guildmates who teamed up to fight back at them. I planned to level up that evening but instead I was stuck in a glorious fight, until one side got too much reinforcement and then it stopped being fun.

Djiem on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    yeah

When you've run out of other new things to do, you learn to get creative.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    there's something to be said for greeting my friends by turning myeslf into a firebreathing demon and chopping their heads off.

:D

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    eatmosushi wrote: »
    there's something to be said for greeting my friends by turning myeslf into a firebreathing demon and chopping their heads off.

I always preferred calling in the war mammoth cavalry, or having mammoth wrestling.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've been following this thread on and off because I was expecting to be able to enjoy reading about the trainwreck. But now you guys are making it sound fun, and I might want to give it a try :(

Dissociater on
    edited May 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    eatmosushi wrote: »

I always preferred calling in the war mammoth cavalry, or having mammoth wrestling.

Better yet, arrange for them to be caught in a narrow valley as a stampede of war rhinos being ridden by players comes hurtling down the other end.

I imagine the resulting carnage would look like that stampede scene from the Lion King.

Edit: PVP servers take a bit of getting used too. However, once you learn how to sneak around it gets alot more manageable. There's also tricks you can use to stay out of most PVPers sight. Like keeping in foilage whenever possible, and avoiding major roads (A favorite camping spot for ranged gankers and assassins who like to do the bandit/ambush thing in heavily populated zones.).

Also, remember that you can swim downwards in this game. If you have the option, just swim at the bottom of a river bed or lake to your target. Noone can see you that way.

It helps that every class gets the hide skill at some point. Though, only rogues can use it without an action point/stam drain.

Archonex on
    edited May 2010
    I've been following this thread on and off because I was expecting to be able to enjoy reading about the trainwreck. But now you guys are making it sound fun, and I might want to give it a try :(
    Sorry to disappoint. I got burned by AOC early on and stopped playing over a year ago, so I'm not a fan-boy by any means. Howver, I read about the changes they made in the interim and re-subbed. Fair is fair- Funcom has really busted its ass to improve the game. Lame classes were overhauled, a lot of content was added, the game is a lot more bug-free etc. They took this game back from the abyss.

There are still some weak spots- Tortage is cool the first few times, but having to take every single character through it is a pain, especially for alt-addicts like me. I'm also a little disappointed that all the Khittai zones are either level 20-40 or 80, with nothing in between.

That being said, the game is worth a shot. If you want a buddy key for a 7 day trial, pm me your e-mail address.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That being said, the game is worth a shot. If you want a buddy key for a 7 day trial, pm me your e-mail address.

I probably know the answer, but if I have a char from the free demo (trapped to tortage), I presume I can't add the 7 day trial to that account to see what life is like outside tortage? I played back around release and remember the suck post-tortage, so I'm hesitant to try it out further without seeing what its like these days.

Bullhead on
    96058.png?1619393207
    edited May 2010
    Bullhead wrote: »

I probably know the answer, but if I have a char from the free demo (trapped to tortage), I presume I can't add the 7 day trial to that account to see what life is like outside tortage? I played back around release and remember the suck post-tortage, so I'm hesitant to try it out further without seeing what its like these days.
    I think the 7 day trial lets you out of tortage, but I could be wrong. No harm in trying.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2010
    How was it, did they do a "free" version that limits you to Tortage, or did I just hallucinate that?

Echo on
  • BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    How was it, did they do a "free" version that limits you to Tortage, or did I just hallucinate that?

They have an unlimited demo account that allows you to make a bunch of chars (i have 6?) on any server, but you cannot leave tortage. I managed to get one char up to 23 by doing all the quests available in both day/night. I'm just not sure if I can tie the 7 day trial to the same account (which I presuming is not limited to tortage only) and get that 23 out into the worl to see, or if I would have to re-level another char in 7 days out of tortage (not un-doable, but I'd prefer not to).

Trial

Bullhead on
    96058.png?1619393207
    edited May 2010
    Well, I'm installing the demo right now. Well, actually the installer is downloading content. 4gb, in fact. Doubt I'll get to play tonight, which is unfortunate.

Dissociater on
  • OddBallOddBall Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    ye i was wondering same thing about the buddy key as well, currently doing the tortage trial and have a buddy key available just not sure if I can add it to my account

EDIT: Awesome! Just go to ageofconan.com > My Account

After you've logged in bottom left corner there should be a box that says enter registration key or something like that, enter the key you got in your AoC buddy email. If you can't find the box go to upgrade AoC subscription, at the bottom of the page it's there as well. Problem is my dude's not 20 yet so I haven't finished tortage and I added the key =.= All in the name of PA

OddBall on
    edited May 2010
    Got my Necromancer to 40 and found the "Veteran Rewards" merchant, which let me spend the Veteran Tokens I didn't know I had saved. Picked up a horse, a nice looking cape and a "pet" that summons a woman. Yep.
    necro40.jpg

She dosn't do anything except pose and blow some kisses. I named her Emilie.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Anyone have any buddy keys?

I'll be your bestest bud :D

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
    edited May 2010
    PM me for FREE STUFF (buddy keys)

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited May 2010
    Anyone have any buddy keys?

I'll be your bestest bud :D
    All of us with accounts have unlimited buddy keys. So, pm your e-mail address and one of us will hook you up. We get in-game swag for signing you up.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

edited May 2010
    Well I played a bit last night. Game seems alright enough. I made a bear shaman. I was kind of expecting to be able to turn into a bear or something, but so far all I do is smash things with a big stick. Still kind of neat though.

Dissociater on
  • tehkensaitehkensai Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well I played a bit last night. Game seems alright enough. I made a bear shaman. I was kind of expecting to be able to turn into a bear or something, but so far all I do is smash things with a big stick. Still kind of neat though.

You do hit people with that big stick in the nuts however. I bet your opponent is having a...bearly good time after that.

Also, I have buddy keys as well if anyone needs them.

tehkensai on
    jAhPU.jpg
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My bear shaman was a pain in the dick 1-25ish. So good luck to you. I stuck with it because I liked the idea behind it, but it just was painfully slow at those levels. Still, a melee class that can heal is generally my M.O. when it comes to games, so I chewed my dick till it got better, as I'm sure it will for you.

Decoy on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2010
    Decoy wrote: »
    My bear shaman was a pain in the dick 1-25ish. So good luck to you. I stuck with it because I liked the idea behind it, but it just was painfully slow at those levels. Still, a melee class that can heal is generally my M.O. when it comes to games, so I chewed my dick till it got better, as I'm sure it will for you.

I had good fun with my bear shaman when I played. I remember that PVP-enabled dungeon just outside of Tortage - very popular gank spot. I got jumped by two guys and tore them both to shreds.

Echo on
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm under the assumption that Funcom hates gmail addresses. Zzulu was nice enough to try and send my a buddy code to two separate gmail addresses buy neither arrived D:

Why do you hate me so Funcom?

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.