Options

Video game sales thread October: all done here.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I'm more or less the conductor of the Brutal Legend hate train. Everyone else who embarked either was mad at the old switcheroo the demo to main game transition gave or really didn't want to play a shitty, too short faux RTS on a console.

Kind of like how Psychonauts, while decently humorous is a damn abortion of a platformer. Guy should stick to straight adventure games.

In the mailbag of the Giant Bomb podcast someone asked if maybe Schafer who seems to have more talent in storytelling rather than game design should focus his energies in other fields, such as animation. Food for thought.

If you completely ignore Brutal Legend's glorious, glorious multiplayer, yes it's short. BL is my GTOY.

The Action RTS elements are a rare example of an Action RTS done right. All the command power of a regular RTS with the need to get bloody on the ground. Battlezone 1 and 2, Sacrifice, and Natural Selection are good examples. Guilty Gear 2 is a bad one.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    What metric do we use for success in sales, anyway?

The combined costs of those three games wouldn't have exceeded Brutal Legend's.

In BL's case, the big loser is Activision... they footed most of the bill and got jack squat.

Did Ghostbusters do any business?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

In BL's case, the big loser is Activision... they footed most of the bill and got jack squat.

I think it charted its first month. Did more than BL, at any rate.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/6239837.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;1
    In third place with 418,000 units was the 360 edition of Borderlands, the all-new action-role-playing game IP from 2K Games and Gearbox software. However, when the game's 113,000 PS3 units and 15,000 PC units are included, the game's sales total 546,000 units--enough to barely top Uncharted 2's haul.

...So I should have gotten the 360 version of Borderlands instead of PC?

As for Brutal Legend, those numbers certainly aren't bad, but I think the really mixed messages on what it actually is hurt it quite a bit. You can count me as another who was expecting a more over the top, balls-to-the-wall XTREEM Zelda style game, which I think would have been recieved a bit better than the multiplayer-focused RTS we got.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    PSP sales are lower this month.

Not only did the PSP Go nowhere, it went in reverse.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

I think it charted its first month. Did more than BL, at any rate.

Dare I hold out hope that they follow up on the teaser of more GB action? Because there's a kernel of it there...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Oh man. You need to burn for that lame joke.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Shady3011 wrote: »

Oh man. You need to burn for that lame joke.

PSP Go? More like PSP NOOOOOOOO
    PSP Slooooooow
    PSP Blooooooooow

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

He's criticizing a game for marketing originality (although this comes from the fans not the developers). Games that pull fewer sales and receive no marketing don't make a good counter. Overwhelmingly originality doesn't sell. You have to find other ways to market it. Good original games don't make big sellers simply by virtue of being good and original. Saying "The really original ones don't have to say a word." doesn't make any sense, because they have to say a lot if they want to be big. Atlus doesn't aim for this, but they'll also never achieve it either.

Anyways using originality is a terrible marketing approach because people aren't going to take chances, they're going to buy what's familiar to them.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/6239837.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;1
    In third place with 418,000 units was the 360 edition of Borderlands, the all-new action-role-playing game IP from 2K Games and Gearbox software. However, when the game's 113,000 PS3 units and 15,000 PC units are included, the game's sales total 546,000 units--enough to barely top Uncharted 2's haul.
    US VIDEO GAMES INDUSTRY - OCTOBER 2009 (Oct. 4-31)
    Hardware: $380.74 million (-23%)
    Software: $572.73 million (-18%)
    Accessories: $118.88 million (-2%)
    Total Games: $1.07 billion (-19%)

So are we praising Borderlands, or super-praising Uncharted 2, which only came out on one system?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Looks more like a comment on poor performance on the two systems.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think people are praising Borderlands just because Pachter said "it was sent out to die."

We like it when Pachter is made to look like a fool.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Rakai wrote: »
    He's criticizing a game for marketing originality (although this comes from the fans not the developers). Games that pull fewer sales and receive no marketing don't make a good counter. Overwhelmingly originality doesn't sell. You have to find other ways to market it. Good original games don't make big sellers simply by virtue of being good and original. Saying "The really original ones don't have to say a word." doesn't make any sense, because they have to say a lot if they want to be big. Atlus doesn't aim for this, but they'll also never achieve it either.
    First of all, I'm not criticizing the game as much for marketing its originality, I'm critizing a person who seems to think it's the most original thing ever and deserves success because of it.

Second of all, I just gave a perfect example of a game that was original and stood on its own because of it. So...no, you don't necessarily have to say a lot?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

1 less week in the month so sales/week average actually went up slightly.

Still disappointing that it's not increasing overall sales much, but it's not actually reducing sales.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/36502/Electronic-Arts-Were-Hiringrn
    Speaking at the BMO Capital Markets Digital Entertainment Conference in New York on Thursday, chief financial officer Eric Brown said, "We will be hiring back positions in low-cost locations to maintain capacity."

EA has sliced back on its release roster and its development staff - 16% of its overall headcount - in an attempt to cut up to $100 million in costs. It looks like part of the company's strategy is to hire in low-cost areas, such as Asia. Most of its cuts are being made in North America.

Announcing the cuts earlier this week, chief exec John Riccitiello explained, “We are making tough calls to cut cost in targeted areas and investing more in our biggest games and digital businesses."

During his speech in New York, also broadcast via the web, Brown tackled the company's purchase of social game maker Playfish. He said that EA had bought the firm for its expertise in creating games for social networks, such as Facebook, and because the company believes in the future of digitally distributed games and in the revenue model for virtual goods and microtransactions.
    Douche move.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Firing people and then outsourcing their jobs immediately thereafter? Ah, EA, it's good to have the old you back.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    First of all, I'm not criticizing the game as much for marketing its originality, I'm critizing a person who seems to think it's the most original thing ever and deserves success because of it.

Second of all, I just gave a perfect example of a game that was original and stood on its own because of it. So...no, you don't necessarily have to say a lot?

Katamari sold even worse than Brutal Legend, so no, you didn't give a perfect example. You gave an example of a low budget game selling to a niche audience.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    creamsugar wrote:
    PSP GTA CHINATOWN WARS = XXXX
    Turns out, nobody gives a shit about it on the PSP either.

Couscous on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Katamari sold even worse than Brutal Legend, so no, you didn't give a perfect example. You gave an example of a low budget game selling to a niche audience.

Rakai, I loved that picture of Cantido-sama for years and years <3.

Brutal Legend deserves a lot more love.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Hm, no, not seeing it.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    creamsugar wrote:

Well, it was certainly marketed about as much as the DS version.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    No surprise that the Wii is back on top and the PS3 slid to second place, some actually believed the PS3 would still be first this month. The 360's price cut really does not appeared to have done much for it at all and no one cares about the PSP Go.

As for Brutal Legend, well heard a lot of conflicted reviews on that, you either love or hate it.

Cade on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Chinatown Wars had decent TV exposure on both of its releases. I remember seeing the DS commercial quite a bit.

It might be that the old style 2D gameplay of this particular game doesn't resonate with the new audience brought in by the 3D ventures.

CW is the best portable GTA game and one of the best GTA games period.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    creamsugar wrote:

It's a pity, because it's a great GTA game, and much better than the Stories games from a portable gaming standpoint. The only real weakpoint is it's shooting mechanics, but hey, there's not a whole lot you can do there with a top down view.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    creamsugar wrote:

It's a pity, because it's a great GTA game, and much better than the Stories games from a portable gaming standpoint. The only real weakpoint is it's shooting mechanics, but hey, there's not a whole lot you can do there with a top down view.

Smash TV. Unfortunately, no dual analogue sticks.

A billion people are going to say that it obviously sold way more on PSN.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Not here they won't.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Actually, I do remember seeing commercials for the DS versions, but I swear if there was one for the PSP version, I never saw it.

And I'd definitely agree that it was the best portable GTA if just for the fact that it wasn't buggy as fuck. Doing Hijackings in VCS was pretty cool until I randomly got placed in the middle of the fucking surrounding body of water. Good QA there, R*. Real nice.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    creamsugar wrote:

Is this meaning to say it sold less than 10k?

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/104/1044911p1.html
    November 12, 2009 - October 2009 sales data from the NPD Group shows that the music game genre has lost much of its momentum compared to last year. In October 2008 it saw sales of $137 million, but that number is down to $53 million this year. If big names like The Beatles: Rock Band and Guitar Hero 5 are struggling it might not come as a surprise to hear that sales of DJ Hero are a little slow out of the gate. The new $120-$200 game was released on four platforms (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii, and PlayStation 2) but only managed to move a little over 122,000 units.

Of course, DJ Hero wasn't released until October 27 so this data only covers five or so days of sales (NPD data often overlaps into the next month by a few days). We're about to begin the holiday shopping season so it is possible sales will continue into the New Year.

People that did pick up DJ Hero preferred to play it on 360, followed by the PS3, the Wii, and finally the PS2. The regular editions sold better than the Renegade on all platforms, but both the 360 and PS3's Renegade sets sold better than even the standard edition on Wii and PS2.

Activision was prepared for a less than stellar debut for its new music franchise.

"We're not expecting a typical videogame curve where you sell the majority of the units in the first month and then it decays quickly," Guitar Hero co-founder Kai Huang recently spoke during a panel at the PLAY Digital Media Conference in Berkeley. "We're expecting this to be the type of game that may come out of the gate a little bit slower, but continue to grow over time.

"If you look at Guitar Hero 3, which to date has been the most successful Guitar Hero game selling 12 million units, it did take three iterations to get the game out there and for people to know how it works."
    When did the month end for NPD purposes?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    BTP wrote: »
    creamsugar wrote:

Is this meaning to say it sold less than 10k?

Yes. I honestly forgot the game was even being released in October.

Couscous on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/104/1044911p1.html
    November 12, 2009 - October 2009 sales data from the NPD Group shows that the music game genre has lost much of its momentum compared to last year. In October 2008 it saw sales of $137 million, but that number is down to $53 million this year. If big names like The Beatles: Rock Band and Guitar Hero 5 are struggling it might not come as a surprise to hear that sales of DJ Hero are a little slow out of the gate. The new $120-$200 game was released on four platforms (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii, and PlayStation 2) but only managed to move a little over 122,000 units.

Of course, DJ Hero wasn't released until October 27 so this data only covers five or so days of sales (NPD data often overlaps into the next month by a few days). We're about to begin the holiday shopping season so it is possible sales will continue into the New Year.

People that did pick up DJ Hero preferred to play it on 360, followed by the PS3, the Wii, and finally the PS2. The regular editions sold better than the Renegade on all platforms, but both the 360 and PS3's Renegade sets sold better than even the standard edition on Wii and PS2.

Activision was prepared for a less than stellar debut for its new music franchise.

"We're not expecting a typical videogame curve where you sell the majority of the units in the first month and then it decays quickly," Guitar Hero co-founder Kai Huang recently spoke during a panel at the PLAY Digital Media Conference in Berkeley. "We're expecting this to be the type of game that may come out of the gate a little bit slower, but continue to grow over time.

"If you look at Guitar Hero 3, which to date has been the most successful Guitar Hero game selling 12 million units, it did take three iterations to get the game out there and for people to know how it works."
    When did the month end for NPD purposes?

The 31st. So it didn't have that long to sell.

Still, barely cracking 100,000 over four consoles isn't all that great.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=26061
    As October 2009's NPD U.S. charts debut, Microsoft claims "the only console showing year-to-date [hardware] growth" in the Xbox 360, up 7%, and 2 million simultaneous Xbox Live users after Modern Warfare 2's debut.

The company's official statement, released just before NPD's debut, noted that Xbox 360 featured with a total of six titles – including two exclusives, Forza Motorsport 3 and Halo 3: ODST from Microsoft Game Studios – in the console top 10 list this October.

According to Microsoft, the other Xbox 360 titles in the top 10 console games were NBA 2K10 and Borderlands from Take-Two, as well as FIFA Soccer 10 and Brutal Legend from Electronic Arts. (Brutal Legend is listed outside the NPD software Top 10, which also includes a Nintendo DS game.)

Microsoft also noted that "third-party titles continue to find success with Xbox 360, generating more sales than any other system, topping $151 million in October."

It added: "We expect this sales trajectory to continue – just two days ago, Activision launched Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, the most anticipated game of the year. Shortly after the launch, Xbox Live reached a new record of more than two million people on the service at the same time.

Overall, U.S. console sales of 250,000 units in October contributed to a 7 percent rise in year-over-year sales for the first ten months of 2009. Xbox 360 "remains the only console showing year-to-date growth", Microsoft notes, and consumers spent $289 million on Xbox 360 hardware, software and accessories in October, "more than any other platform."

In a separate announcement released alongside NPD, Microsoft also revealed that Xbox 360 reached 10 million units sold in EMEA (Europe, the Middle East, and Africa), an important milestone.

Couscous on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Eh, Microsoft says lots of things.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I was one of those people who were surprised where Brutal Legend went (because I read nothing about the game to it being available for demo), but sticking through it I enjoyed it a lot, and the game really is fun. And most of the music. Even for someone like me who cares more about single player than multiplayer it's one of those things that can be worth getting another sequel that can give us a bigger single player experience. Like you wage war against Prog Rock and a villain who looks a lot like Peter Gabriel.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Based on the MS statement, Brutal Legend on the 360 just missed the top 10. So it probably sold ~150K. So it sold ~65K on the PS3 (which explains why PS3 players in the BL thread complain that they can't find games).

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Knowing that October has one less week, the DS more or less held steady while PSP sales actually dropped a bit. During the release of the Go. Holy shit.

That's... That's some good math you've got there cloudeagle... :P

Anyway, it's nice to see Uncharted 2 do pretty well. It's easily my GOTY so far and I doubt Dragon Age or Assassins Creed 2 will change my mind. Nice to see Borderlands do well too, even though I doubt I'd find it as much fun as others I know do.

As far as Brutal Legend goes, I thought it was a pretty good game that tried a bit too much for its own good. I don't regret buying it.

zilo: Cool, we've no problems then. I'm sure there were a few guys there that wanted to mix things up but couldn't get their way. I can't imagine what it's like following up on a franchise created by a studio as highly revered as Westwood used to be.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    PSP NPD weekly sales

July - 30.7k/week
    Aug - 35.08k/week
    Sept - 38.08k/week
    Oct - 43.65k/week

No real bump that probably couldn't be explained away by the approach of the holiday season, but at least it's not going down due to the PSP Go launch as some people have erroneously stated.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    creamsugar wrote:
    Any Tekken 6 numbers?

PS3+360 better than FM3 and less than NBA 2K10.
    PS3 > 360.
    but most importantly... did DEMON SOULS TOP 100k??
    (KHDS is doing really awesome. I should pick it up...)

YES

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    PSP NPD weekly sales

July - 30.7k/week
    Aug - 35.08k/week
    Sept - 38.08k/week
    Oct - 43.65k/week

No real bump that probably couldn't be explained away by the approach of the holiday season, but at least it's not going down due to the PSP Go launch as some people have erroneously stated.

That's a horrible bump for a revision, let alone one marketed as a new system.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    PSP NPD weekly sales

July - 30.7k/week
    Aug - 35.08k/week
    Sept - 38.08k/week
    Oct - 43.65k/week

That's a horrible bump for a revision, let alone one marketed as a new system.

I never got this at all. Go was never marketed as a "new system" at all. Not even close. It's a new sku. It's a new option for people. That's all.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg