Options

Video game sales thread October: all done here.

• Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well, we tend to see sales rise for new SKUs - at least insofar as handhelds are concerned.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    BTP wrote: »
    creamsugar wrote:
    PSP GTA CHINATOWN WARS = XXXX

Is this meaning to say it sold less than 10k?

Yes. And in fact it means that it sold so poorly that it becomes pointless to set a number to it given the margin of error, hence the "X"'s.

So much for the theory that GTA CT Wars didn't sell well on NDS because of the audience. The NDS versions' sales whipped the hell out of the PSP version's.

This fact heavily supports the notion that GTA CTW didnt' sell well overall because it was a top-down older-style GTA rather than the modern ones, and that sort of thing doesn't click with the current mainstream GTA crowd.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So let's see.

GTA Chinatown Wars bombed on the PSP.
    PSP Go bombed.
    Brutal Legend Bombed.
    The PS3 and PC versions of Borderland sold pretty weak, but the 360 version did okay.
    Pirates that suffer only getting banned from Live are whiny little bitches with an enormous sense of self-entitlement.

Have I missed any other really good juicy stuff?

slash000 on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    I think people are praising Borderlands just because Pachter said "it was sent out to die."

We like it when Pachter is made to look like a fool.

I'm not a fan or even interested in being a fan of Borderlands, but if it means making Pachter look like the blithering idiot that he is, I hope it sells like this for months. :lol:

As for the sales:
    *Wii shot up a bit
    *PS3 down a bit; but still respectable
    *360 holding it's own to the other systems
    *DS still rules the roost
    *PSP Went, I hope it sends us all a postcard

*Yay for Borderlands (up yours Pachter)
    *Brutal Legends demo promised Zelda with a heavy metal flair, it gave us a Jack Black RTS. It got what it deserved. :?

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    creamsugar wrote:
    So, about A Boy and His Blob...

:(

Any leaks?

Less than GTA.
    Released October 13, 2009. D:

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Also, I got here late, but I just looooooved the bullshit sense of self-entitlement all of the Xbox Pirates seem to claim once being booted from the service.

Good Lord I knew the response would be juicy to read, and it delivered!

Buncha a-holes. They think a great injustice has been enacted upon them. But honestly, they got off easy.

slash000 on
  • Options
    RoxtarRoxtar Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So is it just pirates they are hitting, or are they hitting ALL modded consoles. Particularly curious over those who got cheaper harddrives instead of the BS overpriced ones. I wouldnt figure they would be able to find out or not, but just wondering.

Roxtar on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    creamsugar wrote:
    So, about A Boy and His Blob...

:(

Any leaks?

Less than GTA.
    Released October 13, 2009. D:

I want to feel bad for them, but I can't say that the poor sales of A Boy and his Blob aren't deserved. I really wanted to love the game but it felt like they were trying to simultaneously target older experienced gamers with nostalgia for the original and children with the result that they didn't really satisfy either. The game was too difficult and the controls too obtuse for my daughter and the pacing was too slow for me. After playing through the first half of the game and being mildly bored the whole time (there was the occasional interesting puzzle but there were far too many problems with obvious solutions), I finally gave up and traded the game into Goozex. And there were lots of little problems with the game like frequent load times, finicky controls, only one save, and no tutorial that all combined to diminish the experience.

Even the graphics which I had thought looked so promising in screenshots were a bit of a letdown. Yes, there are some individual scenes of great beauty, but there's a lot of repetition with only 4 major backgrounds and bland enemy designs.

So above average game combined with misguided marketing ('80s cartoon style) released in the holiday blockbuster season? Yeah, I'm not surprised that it didn't sell well.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My usual updated calculations:

Year to Date 2009:
    NDS - 6,175,400
    Wii - 4,523,800
    360 - 2,641,200
    PS3 - 2,263,900
    PSP - 1,547,300
    PS2 - 1,263,600

Benchmark Comparisons (US):

PS2 - 24,882,000 (48-month mark) (Sep 2004)
    PS2 - 19,010,000 (36-month mark) (Sep 2003)

Xbox - 10,060,402 (36-month mark) (Oct 2004)
    Xbox - 12,865,000 (48-month mark) (Oct 2005)

GCN - 8,003,241 (36-month mark) (Oct 2004)
    GCN - 11,372,000 (48-month mark) (Oct 2005)

360 - 16,599,600 (48 months) (Oct 2009)
    360 - 11,662,400 (36 months) (Oct 2008)
    PS3 - 9,054,800 (36 months) (Oct 2009)
    Wii - 22,064,800 (36 months) (Oct 2009)

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    B&HB may be a great game, but I agree with RBD - it's a game without a market.

It derives it's best sales push from the nostalgia of gamers who played the original; who are now in their twenties and thirties. And yet, the game has the look and presentation of a (albeit beautiful) Saturday Morning Cartoon. Now that style may fit the gist of the game, but good luck selling a game designed for older nostalgic fans at the expense of the ease that younger gamers might need, while giving it an art style that may unfortunately make older gamers overlook it or presume that it's a mere kids' game.

slash000 on
  • Options
    SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You have got to be fucking kidding me.

"Imagine this: you're playing one of Splinter Cell Conviction's many "choose your own torture" sequences, as described by Ubisoft's Jeffrey Dickstein. As you're slamming a terrorist's face into a urinal, you might ask yourself, "is this the new Degree deodorant I should buy?" (Seriously, these are his words.)"

SkyEye on
    Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, the art style, which is one of the strongest things going for the game as far as quality goes, actually probably ended up being a huge detriment to sales. If the game had an art style similar to Patapon, Loco Roco, or World of Goo, I can almost guarantee that it would have sold a lot better.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm probably going to regret this, but who exactly is pachter?

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Kor wrote: »
    I'm probably going to regret this, but who exactly is pachter?

The most outspoken videogame industry analyst.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Oh and for the record:

Michael Pachter was predicting 1 million sales for GTA ChinaTown Wars on PSP.

slash000 on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm only tenuously interested in Borderlands and seeing it do well because a current employee of Gearbox and a former employee of Gearbox (so I guess just one reason, really) are on a podcast I listen to frequently and I kinda wanna see them do well after so much shit went down after BiA: HH

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    More leaks:
    Brutal Legend (360) - 150,000 units
    Brutal Legend (PS3) - 66,000 units

DJ Hero (360) - 62,000 units
    DJ Hero (PS3) - 39,000 units
    DJ Hero (Wii) - 19,000 units
    DJ Hero (PS2) - 3,300 units

slash000 on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    Oh and for the record:

Seriously? Even I could have predicted it wouldn't do much of anything. Late ports of games never get the hype they need, and they just don't sell very much. Late ports of games that already didn't receive much hype or sales to begin with would especially not do that well.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    More leaks:

Why the hell did they make a PS2 version of that, anyways?

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Athenor wrote: »
    More leaks:

Why the hell did they make a PS2 version of that, anyways?

The PS2 Guitar Hero games are still selling.... not super well but well enough to cross port a non-HD version between the PS2 and Wii.

Also, as a reminder, DJ Hero was only on sale for 4 or 5 days.

And it was on sale for $120 for the "cheap" version and $3 a pop per downloadable song.

So it was on sale a short time for this NPD reporting period and it's one of these really expensive items.
    Sales might go up a little bit during the gift giving season when people spend more, but I don't expect this game to be a heavy hitter like GH or RB.

slash000 on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh and for the record:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    There's not a lol big enough for my delight.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    A little bit of XBL info, for all of you out there with Friends List that are absolutely inundated with "Playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2" indicators next to everyone's names:
    Likely driven by the nearly 5 million copies Modern Warfare 2 sold on its launch day, Xbox Live set a record Thursday with two million people logged into the service at once.

slash000 on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    Roxtar wrote: »
    So is it just pirates they are hitting, or are they hitting ALL modded consoles. Particularly curious over those who got cheaper harddrives instead of the BS overpriced ones. I wouldnt figure they would be able to find out or not, but just wondering.

People that modded HDDs also got hit

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Oh and for the record:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    There's not a lol big enough for my delight.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    http://www.vg247.com/2009/07/14/pachter-gta-gay-tony-to-hit-3-million-units-bioshock-2-slip-is-pretty-big/
    Wedbush Morgan’s Michael Pachter’s estimated that GTA 360 DLC The Ballad of Gay Tony will sell around 3 million units, with the PSP version of Chinatown Wars settling in the 1 million unit region.

“Both GTA games will do well, but only Gay Tony this year (fiscal year ends October 31),” he told VG247.

“I think both will do well, Gay Tony 2 – 3 mm units (1mm downloads and the rest discs), and Chinatown Wars at least 1mm.”

Couscous on
  • Options
    NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So Pachter screwed up on both Borderlands and GTA: CW: PSP: Too Many Acronyms Edition?

lolpachter

(I don't care about either game, really, I just like seeing Pachter fail so hard.)

Norfair on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    For a moment I thought Reggie might have bitten off more than he could chew with his 3 months of NSMBWii > MW2 bet but there's still the hope(?) of beating the PS3 version.

Opty on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    It really depends on how fast MW2's sales fall off.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Rakai wrote: »
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    Rakai wrote: »
    Dude, wahts funny about that? Its a genuinely original game that tries something a bit different.
    Yeah that's pretty much an opinion equally as valid as laughing at it.

It's about as original as any game that touts itself as being original. The really original ones don't have to say a word.

Which really original ones are these? The ones that don't sell or the ones that don't exist?

Riviera: The Promised Land
    Yggdra Union: We'll Never Fight Alone
    Knights in the Nightmare

(All made by the same people, BTW)

Ah, so the ones that sell even worse.

Yggdra and Knights are both brilliant games. Sales don't mean squat.

Brutal Legend did okay. I think the demo hurt it.

Borderlands did as expected. Over 500K. I expected 300K on the 360. We don't know the Steam sales. Maybe over 600K total?

Does Forza usually sell that low?
    For a moment I thought Reggie might have bitten off more than he could chew with his 3 months of NSMBWii > MW2 bet but there's still the hope(?) of beating the PS3 version.

Was it three months? I thought he said life time. Which I could see happening.

Sheep on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    He said it would outsell at least one sku of MW2 through January NPDs.

I totally buy that.

Think about it. It hits both the massive Mario market and the massive Wii party game market.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/6239837.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;1
    In third place with 418,000 units was the 360 edition of Borderlands, the all-new action-role-playing game IP from 2K Games and Gearbox software. However, when the game's 113,000 PS3 units and 15,000 PC units are included, the game's sales total 546,000 units--enough to barely top Uncharted 2's haul.

I hope that a lot of the people who would have otherwise gone retail went for the steam (4 pack). Because there's 400 people in the PA steam group alone.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Jeez. 400 in PA? Really makes me wonder how much has shifted away from physical/retail for PC games these days.

slash000 on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I'd even go as far as to say that people who bought the retail copy of Borderlands at launch are kind of suckers. It had additional DRM that Steam patrons weren't subjected to. Later pressings of Borderlands will be DRM free.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    This will make everyone happy:
    Unsurprisingly, nobody basked more in Modern Warfare 2's success than Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick. According to a Securities and Exchange Commission filing made today, the outspoken executive used the occasion to exercise nearly 2 million stock options that had vested in 2000--eight years before Activision merged with Vivendi Games to form Activision Blizzard. Kotick took over Activision in 1991, shortly before it filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

Given that at the turn of the century Activision was nowhere near being the world's largest third-party publisher, the strike price for each share Kotick exercised was a low $1.03. With the new company flying high on last week's better-than-expected July-September earnings report, Kotick reaped an impressive windfall by selling nearly 2 million shares at prices between $11.43 and $11.51 per share from November 9 to November 11.

The result? Minus the nearly $2 million strike price, the executive cleared nearly $20.2 million in just three days. The figure comes atop his normal compensation package, which totaled $14.95 million in 2008, according to Forbes magazine. Following the sale, Kotick still retained 3,109,729 shares of Activision Blizzard, which ended trading today at $11.44--making said shares worth $35,575,300.

Everyone's favorite CEO of Actiblizz sold some stock over the course of 3 days and made himself 20 million dollars richer in the process.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That kind of means he sold 2 million shares... Jesus Fuck!

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So, is he going to buy a giant yacht filled with hookers, or a private jet filled with yachts?

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    He's going to buy a giant jet filled with yachts that are crewed by hookers.

Maybe one of the hookers will give him an STD.

Norfair on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Some of the most delicious bitching I've seen about being banned occurred on another forum. The guy makes a thread whining about how his Xbox got banned when he loaded up his pirated copy of MW2...apparently not being aware that the mod in the video game forum is one of the sound designers for Infinity Ward.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Did he then proceed to bitch about dedicated serverS?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    PSP sales are lower this month.

Not only did the PSP Go nowhere, it went in reverse.

Oh man. You need to burn for that lame joke.

PSP Go? More like PSP NOOOOOOOO
    PSP Slooooooow
    PSP Blooooooooow

This made me laugh way more than it should.

Also, I'm all aboard XoB's hate train for Brutal Legend.

I'm glad to see Borderlands make it into the top 10, I haven't played it yet but it looks amazing. I'll probably pick it up sometime in December after this little mini-rush of games is over.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This will make everyone happy:
    Unsurprisingly, nobody basked more in Modern Warfare 2's success than Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick. According to a Securities and Exchange Commission filing made today, the outspoken executive used the occasion to exercise nearly 2 million stock options that had vested in 2000--eight years before Activision merged with Vivendi Games to form Activision Blizzard. Kotick took over Activision in 1991, shortly before it filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

Given that at the turn of the century Activision was nowhere near being the world's largest third-party publisher, the strike price for each share Kotick exercised was a low $1.03. With the new company flying high on last week's better-than-expected July-September earnings report, Kotick reaped an impressive windfall by selling nearly 2 million shares at prices between $11.43 and $11.51 per share from November 9 to November 11.

The result? Minus the nearly $2 million strike price, the executive cleared nearly $20.2 million in just three days. The figure comes atop his normal compensation package, which totaled $14.95 million in 2008, according to Forbes magazine. Following the sale, Kotick still retained 3,109,729 shares of Activision Blizzard, which ended trading today at $11.44--making said shares worth $35,575,300.

Everyone's favorite CEO of Actiblizz sold some stock over the course of 3 days and made himself 20 million dollars richer in the process.

This is awesome.

I mean the man certainly makes some dick moves, but this is just wicked smart.

Kudos

UnbreakableVow on