Options

Video game sales thread October: all done here.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Though not technically quarter 1, I believe a new pokemon is due out around april as well.

I don't see how borderlands sales are not surprising, a new franchise that was kind of its own genre from a developer that was not exactly a power house? I mean I knew the game would be awesome sauce, but Pachters prediction I believe was also shared by its publisher since the game had initial supply issues.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    Though not technically quarter 1, I believe a new pokemon is due out around april as well.

I don't see how borderlands sales are not surprising, a new franchise that was kind of its own genre from a developer that was not exactly a power house? I mean I knew the game would be awesome sauce, but Pachters prediction I believe was also shared by its publisher since the game had initial supply issues.

You see, first everyone was disputing Pachter's logic. He said that Borderlands was "sent to die" because it wasn't enough of an RPG to compete with Dragon Age and not enough of a shooter to compete with Call of Duty. There are lots of ways to dispute this. You can take it from the gameplay angle or from the market angle. And you can ask yourself, really, how much this game was actually "sent to die" when only competing with Dragon Age, since COD really wasn't out soon enough to mess with BL's sales? And would it be better to release it in Spring with the rest of the onslaught, instead of the precipice of Fall holiday spending? Gearbox/publisher made the right call on this, and it's easy to see why.

Two days later there were reports of the game having supply issues.

You see, Pachter has the kinds of connections that none of us do. He's supposed to have his finger directly on the pulse of the gaming industry. That's his job, he's paid to do this sort of thing every day.

A lot of individuals were noting the kinds of widespread hype for the game and how the game was selling out in various regions. Unfortunately that was all anecdotal. Until the next day when it was confirmed by Gearbox that there were supply constraints.

So for some people it really wasn't surprising that BL did well. But that's not the main thing. Most people just wanted to see Pachter proven wrong for having so much doubt and being so dismissive about the game.

So it's not so much that everyone expected it to sell boatloads (some people did) so much as it was seeing Pachter eat it.

slash000 on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/36508/Guitar-Hero-Led-Zeppelin-incoming
    The global boss of Activision’s Guitar Hero brand has told MCV that the firm is ‘evaluating’ whether to create more artist-specific releases to go up against MTV’s The Beatles: Rock Band – pointing to Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd as possible candidates.

Speaking in an exclusive interview, Dan Ronsensweig said that the firm was “really excited” about the release of Guitar Hero: Van Halen in February – and took the opportunity to reaffirm Activision’s dominance over its Fab Four-themed rival.

“I don’t know who actually bought The Beatles: Rock Band,” he said. “I just know more people bought Guitar Hero 5.”

Discussing further single artist-themed Guitar Hero releases, he added:

“The question of doing single band release is one we’ll evaluate. There are of course iconic bands like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd that I love – but we have a successful formula of variety and value. Our preliminary set list for next year is pretty amazing.”

In addition, Rosensweig defended the firm’s relationship with music artists, after Courtney Love and No Doubt threatened legal action over in-game likenesses.

“We have really terrific relationships with artists, labels and fans,” he said.
    God help them when they run out of decent bands to actually use. Guitar Hero: Creed.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Oh I'm all for Pachter having to swallow another bitter grouping of words. And even more happy that borderlands had great sales since its a fanfuckingtastic game. Just to say in the wake of it doing well that "It was to be expected" is kind of disengenuous.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    http://www.casualgaming.biz/news/29477/EA-books-Thats-a-novel-idea
    What would constitute success for you in terms of sales?
    Keith Ramsdale: This is a completely new category for us. To predict where the sales level will be is actually quite tough. The only comparable product is Nintendo’s 100 Classic Book Collection, which has sold 150,000 to date. It’s not the most exciting product, but they’re relatively good numbers. I think we can do well against that. Fundamentally, if retail keeps these games on shelves and online retailers keep them on their front pages post-Christmas that will be a sure sign that we’ve got something.

Nintendo’s 100 Classic Book Collection, which is our only reference point, sold tens of thousands straight after Christmas [last year]. They’re averaging around 800 sales a week. I would like to think we can get into the Top 20 at Christmas time, which would be sales of – depending on how the market goes between now and then – between 2,000 and 5,000 units a week. That would be a very good place for us to be. We don’t need to sell those numbers to be a success – let’s be clear about that. If we fall below that, Flips is still a viable opportunity for EA.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Oh I'm all for Pachter having to swallow another bitter grouping of words. And even more happy that borderlands had great sales since its a fanfuckingtastic game. Just to say in the wake of it doing well that "It was to be expected" is kind of disengenuous.

Pachter said it would bomb because RPG fans would buy Dragon Age and shooter fans would buy COD, despite the fact that Borderlands is one of the first big games on the cusp of holiday spending and went at least a week without competition, then a whole month without COD - assuming you even believe that there's much cross over in potential buyers between COD and Borderlands or DAO and Borderlands, which, honestly, most people disputed..

Anyway, besides that, people were like, "ehhh, there's lots of anecdotal evidence to the contrary, but i'm not su---- holy crap Gearbox just said that they're having supply issues! OK, if they're selling out and having trouble keeping up with demand, then this game is surely going to sell well!"

And then data came out and sure enough it's selling well.

Now, Pachter made his statement 2 days before the official comment by Gearbox. However, it's he has the kinds of retailer and publisher connections that none of us have. He's paid full time to have a thumb on the pulse of the gaming industry. Before any of this happened there was evidence, some evidence, that the game would sell well. But besides that, people are free to disagree with his logic on why it would supposedly bomb and offer up reasons why it wouldn't.

But whatever the case, people largely decided that it was a sure success two days after Pachter's statement when we heard about supply issues that confirmed all the anectdotal evidence.

slash000 on
  • Options
    JohnOrangePeelJohnOrangePeel Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Semi sale related,

http://uk.xbox360.gamespy.com/articles/104/1044989p1.html
    Modern Warfare 2's launch was nothing short of a monumental success at retail. As expected, the game performed amazingly well, shifting 4.7 million copies around the globe on its first day, and as a result, Activision's stock soared high. GameSpot is reporting that Activision Blizzard's CEO Bobby Kotick personally parted with nearly two million vested stock options which netted the exec over $20 million.

Minus the nearly $2 million strike price, the executive cleared nearly $20.2 million in just three days. The figure comes atop his normal compensation package, which totaled $14.95 million in 2008, according to Forbes magazine. Following the sale, Kotick still retained 3,109,729 shares of Activision Blizzard, which ended trading today at $11.44--making said shares worth $35,575,300.

Not too shabby for roughly three days of work.

He deserves every penny, right PC gamers?!

JohnOrangePeel on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    You should use Square-Enix's time machine to transport yourself back to when discussion was occuring on Page 7!

:P

slash000 on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Can we not use BL for Boarderlands when we also have Brutal Legend that came out the same month?

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I say whichever is the better game deserves the acronym!

The question is - which is the better game!?

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Be prepared, I will fight you to the death over this.

Kor on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    slash000 wrote: »

Well sales wise, meta critic wise, and game length wise... Umm BL is Borderlands designation.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Raynaga wrote: »
    Wow, is the reader really supposed to feel sorry for a guy who says he stole 30+ games for his console?

Yeah, it's amazing how the thought "perhaps I did something that the video game makers wouldn't be happy with" never entered his head for a second. And that the BBC, of all organizations, went along with it.

The pathetic part about this is that its so badly written that alot of people are going to read that and have so little computer knowledge that they will think this was just microsoft deciding on a whim that you have to buy a new xbox because they want you to spend more money on them instead of them working to identify and shut down a thief.

Parents who hear 'i want this' find an article that suggests the thing the kid wants may have an experation date will make the less knowledgable ones hesitate.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    azith28 wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Raynaga wrote: »
    Wow, is the reader really supposed to feel sorry for a guy who says he stole 30+ games for his console?

Yeah, it's amazing how the thought "perhaps I did something that the video game makers wouldn't be happy with" never entered his head for a second. And that the BBC, of all organizations, went along with it.

The pathetic part about this is that its so badly written that alot of people are going to read that and have so little computer knowledge that they will think this was just microsoft deciding on a whim that you have to buy a new xbox because they want you to spend more money on them instead of them working to identify and shut down a thief.

Parents who hear 'i want this' find an article that suggests the thing the kid wants may have an experation date will make the less knowledgable ones hesitate.

Good riddance. This hobby doesn't need the uninformed to perpetuate the worst aspects of it.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Well sales wise, meta critic wise, and game length wise... Umm BL is Borderlands designation.

It's not even two words, though.

That's like shortening Uncharted to UC

Kor on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    The comments the BBC selected for highlighting "gamer concerns" are unbelievable.
    Is this really an appropriate response, banning all modified consoles? There are legitimate and legal reasons why one might modify their console, such as using homebrew software created by independent developers.
    Matt Slater, Clitheroe, England

Legitimate and legal reasons? Apologist tosser.
    I bought an Xbox 360 Live from Ebay three months ago. I had no clue it might have been tampered with and it was sold with genuine games, I have since bought new games and played happily - until last night when I was told as I logged in that my console was banned because I'd broken the terms of the agreement. How would I have known if the console had been tampered with? I've started dispute procedures against the seller via Ebay, as far as I'm concerned the console wasn't advertised correctly!
    Billy, Sunderland, England

Unfortunate, but will be a tiny minority, and you know, if you will buy consoles second hand from ebay...
    Though I, like most Xbox users have not modified my console, I am concerned that the real reason for this disconnection is not to prevent the use of counterfeit games, but to preserve Microsoft's control of the market, so that it may charge publishers for the right to publish a game. Whilst this may seem fair enough, it does result in only "big hit" games being published, while smaller, often more interesting games, are only available on the PC or the somewhat overpriced Xbox Live arcade. I am concerned that Microsoft cannot satisfy itself with the Xbox live subscription charges, but sadly, the competitors (PS3 and WII) seem to use similar systems.
    Rory Yeung, Ipswich, Suffolk

WTF is this guy on?
    I am not an Xbox player but I get really annoyed that they go on about piracy, I have said many times that the only way to stop it is to bring the price of software down, its the same with Windows, far to expensive and too many versions. Games could be half the price and Microsoft would still make money. Bill Gates must be laughing on board his yacht.
    Peter, Reading

Idiot, the games could be half the price and these people would still steal them, you can pick up almost all games here for less than half price after a month from launch.
    Well copying anything to make a profit is illegal but at the same time I'm tired of paying for a game, CD, movie, and getting a scratch just for the disc to be worthless. I'm already paying $59.99 for a game and I shouldn't have to pay a second time for something I already own because of a scratch or something. Let us copy our own games or at least get a replacement with out having to pay $59.99 again.
    Kevin, USA

Look after your stuff more carefully, imbecile?
    I don't even have an Xbox but one of the reasons I don't have one is because Microsoft do this. The modchips do have a legitimate use. You are allowed to back up CDs on your computer in case the CD becomes unplayable. Discs are very fragile things and some users like to have their games backed up. After all you will have paid £40 for a new disc. It is my opinion that once you buy a disc you should be allowed to do whatever you want with the media as long as you do not break copyright laws. Using copied discs to play games you have already paid for is not a violation of copyright, therefore Microsoft have no right to do this.
    Donald Glass, Aberdeen

ahahahahaha what a total wanker
    Although I do not condone piracy or own an Xbox, I totally disagree with Microsoft's response here. If I have purchased a product, I would expect to use is as I wished, if it invalidates my guarantee, so be it, but having paid good money for it, it is mine. The "big brother" attitude from large companies and others is not only an attack on our personal freedoms but also very, very frightening.
    Michael McIver, Hastings, England

So if someone steals something which does not belong to them, or clearly and deliberately violates a term of use, intervention is "big brother" attitude? Idiot.
    My Xbox 360 console was banned from Xbox Live last night. I purchased Modern Warfare 2 and went to play it but I had my Xbox chipped a month ago to play games that I wasn't prepared to pay £40 plus for. I was stupid and regret it now but I think the fact that so many people have been banned, highlights to the gaming industry that the costs of games is too high. As with music, film and games, the pirates will never go away, but for the majority of us who want to stay on the right side of the fence, the cost of games has to come down as it already has with music and film.
    BJ, UK

BJ is right, cocksucker. You want the biggest game of the year, with a massive development / production and advertising budget, on day one, and aren't prepared to shop around or wait for a discount, and then expect to have a valid complaint about price after you stole it? Fall down a hole, already.
    It's important to fight back against piracy, but not at the expense of the consumer. Everyone worth their weight in salt in the games industry knows that piracy is impossible to stop. But so long as it is guarded against responsibly, the publishers will make profit and more great games will keep getting made. As for Xbox banning consoles from Live, this can result in shortcomings for thousands of gamers who have been misunderstood by the team behind the service.
    Clement, Colchester

What planet are you on Clement? Pirates are now 'misunderstood gamers'? Another stupid apologist.

Gah! D:

One (ONE!) comment wasn't pro-piracy though,
    I think that this is a good thing. It makes the gamers that pay feel hard done by because we have obeyed the rules. This stops the cheats having an unfair advantage over others and the ban is deserved.
    SAS Jesse, Stoke on Trent

Well said, I think... :?

chav.jpg

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Kor wrote: »

Good points all around.

The only way to settle this is a battle to the death.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Good points all around.

I shall be in Brutal Legend, awaiting my victory.

Kor on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That is a rather appropriate image considering.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Yeah, it is

Shit, re-reading that idiocy is making my blood start to boil again...

slash000 on
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Good points all around.

It's alright, Brutal Legend can have the BL. The awesomeness that is Borderlands could not be contained within two simple letters anyway. It takes 4 letters to spell "GUNS"

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Fucking Chavs.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=26070
    Grand Theft Auto: Episodes From Liberty City, which puts both downloadable GTA IV episodes on one standalone disc, sold 57,000 units in the month -- despite being on sale for only three days. The episodes are also both available individually via download on Xbox Live Marketplace.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=26070
    Grand Theft Auto: Episodes From Liberty City, which puts both downloadable GTA IV episodes on one standalone disc, sold 57,000 units in the month -- despite being on sale for only three days. The episodes are also both available individually via download on Xbox Live Marketplace.

Seems a little low for a gta, though I dunno what expectations were. I couldn't be bothered neither dlc looked that appealing.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I was actually talking about the Sonic and the Black Knight game. The sequel to Sonic and the Secret Rings? Am I hallucinating?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Sonic and the Black Knight? That game came out forever and ever ago.

In March of this year.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I was actually talking about the Sonic and the Black Knight game. The sequel to Sonic and the Secret Rings? Am I hallucinating?

That came out and bombed hard.

It basically dumped what little in Sonic Unleashed that was decent and focused on the terribleness.

I'm glad SEGA recognized that they need to make Sonic games for adults and separate Sonic games for the youngins though.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I thought Black Knight was taking Secret Rings, a very fun yet flawed game, and instead of fixing the flaws and making it an awesome game, they just added a whole bunch of terrible stupid fucking bullshit.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    From what I remember playing it was just the lame ass God of War shit from Secret Rings and none of the actual Sonic stuff.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    From what I remember playing it was just the lame ass God of War shit from Secret Rings and none of the actual Sonic stuff.

I think you're getting Secret Rings, which was the behind-the-Sonic view that played like a racing game crossed with a platformer, mixed up with Sonic Unleashed, the sidescroller with the stupid Were-hog bits that were for-some-reason compared to God of War. There was no "god of war" shit in Secret Rings at all; all the "combat" was hopping and bopping.

Secret Rings was a very fun game if you could get into it, it was just flawed by control and could have used some tweaking in how and what upgrades were awarded at what points.

They should have taken Secret Rings and given it analog control (which they did), and made the curve of upgrades better. Instead they gave him a sword, boring ass combat, tamed out the platforming, and some other stupid fucking bullshit.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    My bad. They took the God of War stuff from Unleashed.

Sheep on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh. Well if it bombed, I guess that would explain why I didn't know it was out. Now I need a new idea for a sister's birthday present.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    If she's really young she might not care about the game quality.

Kinda like Unleashed and Sonic 2006 where it's more focused on the characters than how it's actually a game.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Oh. Well if it bombed, I guess that would explain why I didn't know it was out. Now I need a new idea for a sister's birthday present.

Something with Mario in it.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    If she's really young she might not care about the game quality.

Kinda like Unleashed and Sonic 2006 where it's more focused on the characters than how it's actually a game.

But I thought Sonic '06 was all about Hedgehog/human humping action? o_O

Oh, and NSMBWii is a perfect gift for everyone.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yeah.

If she has a Wii then just spring for NSMB.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Already was planning on getting that for her husband. Therein lies the problem.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Oh. She's all groed up.

Munchables?

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/maxpayne3/news.html?sid=6216781
    September 3, 2009

Wedbush Morgan Securities' Michael Pachter thinks that the decision to release the stand-alone disc Grand Theft Auto: Episodes From Liberty City, which contains the two Grand Theft Auto IV expansions for $39.99, will reap major rewards.

"We estimate that around 7 million copies of GTAIV were sold on the Xbox 360, meaning that approximately 25 million Xbox 360 owners did not buy the game," he said. "While we don't expect a huge attach rate, we think that it is reasonable that Take-Two could see a 5 percent attach rate among this audience, plus another 1 to 1.5 million discs sold to the 7 million prior owners."

Since 5 percent of 25 million is 1.25 million, by Pachter's calculus, Episodes From Liberty City could sell anywhere from 2.25 to 2.75 million units worldwide. And that figure doesn't include downloads of one of its episodes, Grand Theft Auto: The Ballad of Gay Tony, from Xbox Live. Both it and Episodes From Liberty City are due out on October 29.
    GTA IV episodes on one standalone disc, sold 57,000 units in the month -- despite being on sale for only three days
    Granted, it is just for three days and only for the USA.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Compared to GTA 4 though thats not good news, 4 was a massive opening week seller.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net