Options

Video game sales thread October: all done here.

1565758596062»

• Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    Not sure why RAM prices went up though.
    It was almost certainly on the supply end. When economic uncertainty hit in late 2008, DRAM makers cut production, both to boost prices and prevent an inventory glut from building up.

I see.

Man it was the high life for ram upgrades for the first half of 2009. Then I guess the supplies started to run dry due to those cutbacks.

Back in like January through the summer, you could get 2 gigs of DDR2 for $20.

slash000 on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I was wondering why RAM was a bit pricy when I built my computer last month. Even after serious bargain-hunting I had to shell out $200 for 8GB.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I was wondering why RAM was a bit pricy when I built my computer last month. Even after serious bargain-hunting I had to shell out $200 for 8GB.

Why.... on earth.... did you put 8 gigs of ram in there...

Also, yeah, $200 is a lot for 4 gigs but it depends on the type and speed. I mean I put 4 gigs of dual channel DDR2 800 in my PC in march and it cost $45. If I were to put 8 gigs that would come out to $90, far less than $200... But you may have bought the newer/faster type and/or higher gigs per stick. I mean like DDR3 1866 is going to cost a lot more than DDR2 800.

edit: holy shit it's worse than I thought. The same ram that I bought in March for $45 has now doubled in price. Jeez...

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Because the person assisting me suggested it and I'm a silly billy. Ah well, at least that aspect of the computer won't need to be upgraded again till I get a whole new box. And yes, I got the newer, faster DDR3 sticks.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Because the person assisting me suggested it and I'm a silly billy. Ah well, at least that aspect of the computer won't need to be upgraded again till I get a whole new box. And yes, I got the newer, faster DDR3 sticks.

Heheheh.. It's okay. What's done is done.

It's just that most games don't see performance increases past about 3 or 3.5 gigs of ram. Though the fact that you have the faster DDR3 will help a tad with performance.

Still, wow, 8 gigs. I think windows vista and/or 7 allows you to allocate certain windows resources specifically to ram to make the machine run faster overalll, but it's a certain feature you have to enable to do it. with that much ram it might be worth trying, since your system won't be aching for ram any time soon. edit: you can do it with Xp as well apparently.

slash000 on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    In regards to console lifespan, even if they developed a game that was photo realistic, what are the odds that developers would actually invest the money into making a game like that? I mean, yeah, on the PC you've got games like Crysis that go all out, but the bulk of games find a happy medium because it's both time and cost efficient.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    'scuse me for waltzin' in through this fine discussion, but seeing as the date has come and gone, has anything been said about that Hellgate relaunch? Anything at all? 'cause Google gives me nothing but stuff about the announcement about the revival, and even Hanbitsoft's page only has a brief generic-as-all-get blurb about the game.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    cloudeagle on