As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Visualizers!!

NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
importvisualmac04272004.jpg
aside from the swirly twirly of apple's itunes visualizer I have yet to find anything that transforms my music quite as well.
I like to leave the visuals on frequently as my computer is the main source of music in my room.

Is there a superior program? GO!

:winky:
Nalouto on

• Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Milkdrop/Geiss ftw.

Nothing better has still been created, after all these years. Sad.

swirlies.jpg

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Recoil42 wrote:
    Milkdrop/Geiss ftw.

Seriously, Milkdrop has been rocking the socks for the better part of a decade now. Get it, and enjoy.

iTunes visualizer is shit in comparison.

In fact, I use iTunes despite its visualization, not because of it.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    mcdermott wrote:
    Recoil42 wrote:
    Milkdrop/Geiss ftw.

Seriously, Milkdrop has been rocking the socks for the better part of a decade now. Get it, and enjoy.

iTunes visualizer is shit in comparison.

In fact, I use iTunes despite its visualization, not because of it.

Ditto.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    There any visualizers where the beat detection actually works?

Most everything I've ever used has the reaction display a split second after the beat actually hits, which drives me nuts.

xzzy on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Neon on an HDTV is pretty fucking cool.

But yeah - Milkdrop and Geiss are total classics.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    And on that note, is there any visulaisers out there that add to the music and complement it it, rather than being a crazy mix of shapes an colours?

Like, something that can detect whether you're listening to something chilled out and would just use mellow blues and stuff slowlyf ading around, but then you could put on some crazy metal and it would update itself to lots of red and black and really frenetic crazy shit.

I think the worst visulaiser for this is the one that coems with the Xbox 1, which seem to have nothing to do with whats actually playing.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    xzzy wrote:

Most everything I've ever used has the reaction display a split second after the beat actually hits, which drives me nuts.

Geiss and Milkdrop are pretty damn good with it, and responsive too, which is my biggest PP of visualizers -- when they barely react to the music at all.

He's apparently working on a new one too, called geoforms, ridiculously visually impressive:

screenshot4.jpg

screenshot7.jpg

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_geoforms_home.html
    Imagine another dimension, where magical shapes exist which have no predefined structure, but instead, are shaped by sound. These shapes, or "GeoForms", have a taste for music, and will stop at nothing to express themselves, moving like liquid to the beat.

Not only can GeoForms change their shape at will, but they can also change their subatomic organization, quickly morphing into almost any material, be it glass, metal, water, wax, putty, brushed metal, marble, or jade. They range from opaque to translucent, polished smooth to rough as sand, and from plain to porous and veined.

The GeoForms live in a fantastic landscape of plasma and comets, providing the light that reflects, refracts, and is transmitted through the GeoForms dynamic surface.

Robert Geiss's homepage, btw: http://www.geisswerks.com/

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Recoil42 wrote:
    xzzy wrote:

Geiss and Milkdrop are pretty damn good with it, and responsive too, which is my biggest PP of visualizers -- when they barely react to the music at all.

Geiss didn't impress me with it's responsiveness last time I tried it.

But I honestly couldn't tell you when the last time I tried it was. I'll poke at it and post back with my impression.

xzzy on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    I've never gotten Milkdrop... it's always out-of-sync and has mostly incoherent designs.

I mostly use Winamp's AVS now. You can make it so it draws the visualization as your desktop, which is pretty neat. You can also set the color that it draws to - so if you set it to black, all your text is all visualized.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    xzzy wrote:
    Recoil42 wrote:
    xzzy wrote:

Geiss didn't impress me with it's responsiveness last time I tried it.

But I honestly couldn't tell you when the last time I tried it was. I'll poke at it and post back with my impression.

IIRC, Milkdrop is better at it, so try that.

I actually don't have Winamp even installed on this computer, and haven't used either for the past year or so.... but that's really just because I'm not as much of a visualization whore as I once was... plus iTunes functionality trumps its asstastic visualization.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Recoil42 wrote:

Eh, didn't like either.

Maybe I'm just picky, but when someone hits the bass drum, I want to see a flash of something. Maybe it's better with rap or techno, I wouldn't know. I listen mostly to rock and it just turns into a shoddy mess.

xzzy on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    xzzy wrote:
    Recoil42 wrote:

Eh, didn't like either.

Maybe I'm just picky, but when someone hits the bass drum, I want to see a flash of something. Maybe it's better with rap or techno, I wouldn't know. I listen mostly to rock and it just turns into a shoddy mess.

Ditto.

But I also listen to a lot of IDM (Aphex Twin, Autechre etc) and it always fucks up there as well.

Maybe visualisers are just shitty?

ben0207 on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I know this isn't really an answer but over this last weekend I was really impressed by some of the Xbox 360 visualizers.

They matched up so well at some points I was wondering whether the visualizer was adding sounds to the music.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited January 2007
    the 360's is good but it's too gaudy for me and too boring

i further support the recommendation of milkdrop, it's the best i've ever seen

bongi on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2007
    I know this isn't really an answer but over this last weekend I was really impressed by some of the Xbox 360 visualizers.

They matched up so well at some points I was wondering whether the visualizer was adding sounds to the music.
    grab the controller and play with the analogs next time you get a chance.

Fucking awesome.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    thebreadkingthebreadking Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Definitely not the greatest, but I'm fond of GasLight for Mac iTunes...
    http://www.steelskies.com/gaslight/

thebreadking on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Do any visualizers out there, like, read a song ahead of time, so they can predict the bitstream? I always figured that would be the ultimate visualizer, but I didn't know if they could read the whole MP3 like that. Obviously, for streaming media it wouldn't be possible without a buffer.. but still.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I liked AcidSpunk for sonique. Visual randomness <3

Of course, the player itself sucks.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    HacknatHacknat Registered User new member
    ben0207 wrote: »
    xzzy wrote:
    Recoil42 wrote:

Eh, didn't like either.

Ditto.

But I also listen to a lot of IDM (Aphex Twin, Autechre etc) and it always fucks up there as well.

Maybe visualisers are just shitty?

it costs money but i found that the best visualizer i have ever used used per say, envelopment, since it was pretty mutch a game built into a visualizer, then again if you wanted i found it has an auto visualizer if that isn't your thing. but you should try audiosurf, best game ever for music fans, mostly because the thing is pretty good with detecting audio, and instead of working on beats it works on how intense the song is, so go ahead and take a look at a few vids before you buy it, but i honestly found that that was the best visualizer i have ever used. A few warnings though, you need a somewhat fast computer to be able to get the "best seat" or in other words the shader effects. my comp has four gigs of ram and the graphics card is amazing, but i'm pretty sure that you don't need too mutch more than two gigs to get the highest effects. you never know with computers, but yes audiosurf is probably what i would recomend for you

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Please don't necro six year old threads.

Geth close the thread

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Rorus Raz. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.