As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Skeletal Giant Eagle? [LP in progress]

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    I hear that the ration/backpack system is currently not working, though.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    okay for some reason all the sudden the game wont run in full screen and the image is off to the upper right

help?

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    FendallFendall Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The ration/backpack system does work but, as with a lot of things in DF, is bugged in randomly hilarious ways. Having them does prevent your dwarves running off to the kitchen in the middle of a battle but has some nasty side effects.

You probably have the clothes of yor wrestlers scattered around your barracks. Backpacks can also be torn away and will sit there untouched. The food inside will eventally rot and produce miasma that can't be removed because the food is claimed by a dwarf. This causes lots of angry, smelly and heavily armed dwarves to get upset and pull peoples arms off. Which is bad.

Fendall on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fendall wrote: »
    Has anyone actually listened to the podcast for this? I've downloaded it but I can't bring myelf to listen to 90 minutes of toady talking about how he programmed dwaven toes to have skin, muscle and bone layers. Is there anything cool in it?

If you don't want to wait through the interminably long podcasts you can read the transcripts instead, that's what I generally do.
    DF talk #1
    DF talk #2
    DF talk #3
    DF talk #4

Strange mood dwarves generally won't demand materials you don't have access to, except for glass. It's a bug I think. Very annoying bug.

Archery ranges can overlap, the dwarves don't care. Quivers are not required. AFAIK the size of them is not important.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The ration/backpack system does work but, as with a lot of things in DF, is bugged in randomly hilarious ways. Having them does prevent your dwarves running off to the kitchen in the middle of a battle but has some nasty side effects.

You probably have the clothes of yor wrestlers scattered around your barracks. Backpacks can also be torn away and will sit there untouched. The food inside will eventally rot and produce miasma that can't be removed because the food is claimed by a dwarf. This causes lots of angry, smelly and heavily armed dwarves to get upset and pull peoples arms off. Which is bad.

it seems that clothes that soldiers take off doesn't get picked up?

Raneados on
  • Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So I have decided that my fortress is going to produce weapons

Tons and tons of weapons

Maybe armor if an armorsmith shows up

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
  • Options
    UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Raneados wrote: »

Yep. My barracks ended up being an extremely cluttered place... I go through great pains to keep my fortress tidy, and when it's literally impossible to do so it really puts me off.

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    yep

it happened

dreamed of dwarf fortress

thanks a lot jerks

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Umaro wrote: »

Yep. My barracks ended up being an extremely cluttered place... I go through great pains to keep my fortress tidy, and when it's literally impossible to do so it really puts me off.

you can dump it, right?

(I dunno this is a question)

Raneados on
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Umaro wrote: »

you can dump it, right?

(I dunno this is a question)

Doesn't seem that way no, but you can hide it! Hit k and then select the item and hit h to hide it.

Still workin on my fortress (been so long since i've played i'm pretty much relearning everything), Thanks to an oversight I seem to have run out of drink and nearly out of food because i never built any farms. On the other hand i have a WAR SQUIRTLE! FUCK YEAH!

Lasbrook on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    That guy should have added "tortle" as a Pokemon.

And then when you train them

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    man you can hide stuff jesus

Raneados on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    When I get back home on my fast computer I'll be adventurin' some more. Dragon Age: Dwarf Fortress all up ins.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So while the caravan was in my trade depot a kobold thief snuck in and attempted to steal from the caravan. The caravan's mace dwarf knocked him clear across the open space into the back of my wood workshop. But only after the kobold stole some stuff from the caravan, which I promptly claimed as my own.

But now I have a kobold body in my workshop. How do I get rid of it?

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Could you designate it as trash and have it moved to a trash pile?
    It's been a while since I've played, don't remember if this is possible.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    dwarves should get to it anyway right

dead bodies are refuse

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    dwarves should get to it anyway right

dead bodies are refuse

That's what I thought

But the body's just sitting there

Maybe it's stuck and I have to tear down the wood workshop

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    no biggie you get the materials back

Raneados on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    maybe they're prioritizing other tasks. Do you have stuff flagged to be dumped? In my experience, dwarves in the middle of a fight will stop holding their guts in with their shields to go and toss a rock off a pit

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    seems like the order of needs goes like

drinking
    eating
    throwing rocks off cliffs
    saving own life

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    No I don't have anything turned off, and I have 6 idle dwarfs

Pretty sure the body's just stuck.

It's ok I needed to move that workshop anyways

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    yep

it happened

dreamed of dwarf fortress

thanks a lot jerks

Hah! I didn't!

Instead I had images of the borderlands weapons chests whenever I closed my eyes.

L|ama on
  • Options
    nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Eugh. I just got this for linux. I can't get involved until after finals though. I am already playing it too loose with school.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    OK so I just built a smelter

But all it's giving me is the option to melt an object. I don't want to melt an object, I want to refine ore!

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited November 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    If it's a normal smelter you need fuel for it, to get fuel you need to build a wood-burny thing (I forget what it's called) and make some charcoal, if you want to make steel you need flux and extra charcoal.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    L|ama wrote: »
    If it's a normal smelter you need fuel for it, to get fuel you need to build a wood-burny thing (I forget what it's called) and make some charcoal, if you want to make steel you need flux and extra charcoal.

Got a wood furnace, got charcol, got a Tetrahedrite block from the traders, and yet all it gives me is the option to melt an object.

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    oh it's a block, you need the raw ore

go nuts with exploratory mining, you'll be able to find some ore somewhere pretty easily

L|ama on
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Can't process blocks, only ore.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So what is the deal with the pokemon dwarf fortress? Do the animals just look like pokemon now or what?

edit: I'm going to download this and don't know if I should just get it from the main site, track down the streamlined version, or get the pokemon version.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    animal companionanimal companion xenomortis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Trying to look at screenshots for this and see something other than noise

pretttty tough

animal companion on
    VdxNI.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009

pretttty tough

play it

you will reach a moment of clarity where you stop seeing g and H

and instead see goblins and horses

Raneados on
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Or get a graphics set so you dont have to look at letters moving across the screen.

101 on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

pretttty tough

play it

you will reach a moment of clarity where you stop seeing g and H

and instead see goblins and horses

It's a moment of clarity rivaled by none.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Graphics packs are for little babies.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Artreus wrote: »
    So what is the deal with the pokemon dwarf fortress? Do the animals just look like pokemon now or what?

edit: I'm going to download this and don't know if I should just get it from the main site, track down the streamlined version, or get the pokemon version.

Get the streamlined version. The pokemon thing is a mod that works with any version if you want it.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Artreus wrote: »

Get the streamlined version. The pokemon thing is a mod that works with any version if you want it.

Cool, I'll go digging around in the thread for it.

Also, the pokemon mod site works, but the download link he provides is broken.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Oh what the shit. It usually lets me change the keybindings to work on a laptop. But I can't seem to do that. There isn't any obvious button to press to change the binding.

edit: nevermind

Artreus on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    has anyone linked Stonesense yet

because uhh well

look at it

seriously guys

this is fucking magical

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    has anyone linked Stonesense yet

because uhh well

look at it

seriously guys

this is fucking magical

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=12415703&postcount=107

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.