As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Secuwiity - hacking the Wii

LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
Console Hacking 2006 - Wii
A german geek discussing the technical process behind making the Wii more secure than the GC was. Relavent for booting homebrew or preventing piracy.

try to stop this thread being locked, keep to technical discussion/homebrew.

LewieP on

• Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I know that the person in this video is more interested in homebrew than piracy, but you realize he mentions running "backups" about a million times, right?

Edit: Or "copies" as he puts it.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Very interesting, but I have a feeling that piracy will be about as irrelevant to the Wii as it was to the GameCube.

re: homebrew: I seriously hope this stays uncracked for a long time. I'd rather not encounter cheaters in online games. I think programmers would be just fine in GameCube mode, especially since no homebrew project has really used up all of the GC's power yet.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    FyreWulff wrote:
    Very interesting, but I have a feeling that piracy will be about as irrelevant to the Wii as it was to the GameCube.

re: homebrew: I seriously hope this stays uncracked for a long time. I'd rather not encounter cheaters in online games. I think programmers would be just fine in GameCube mode, especially since no homebrew project has really used up all of the GC's power yet.
    I think wii homebrew could be really intresting, not because of the increased power over GC thought, but to access with wiimote's features/internet the console would need to be in 'Wii' mode. I think scummv, plus maybe a more featured browser (a port of firefox to the wii maybe) would be fantastic.

People hacking games for cheats in online would be a downside, but to be honest, action replay can give you that, and that is why I intend to play online games with people from PA only.

LewieP on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think that Nintendo isn't worried about the hacking. Minimal preventative measures were taken, and they just might have been because of production differences.

It's that sigh of personal defeat where they're sure it'll be haved eventually anyway, and so they weren't going to waste resources to prevent it. That's my conjecture anyway.

There's more anti-piracy things I've been thinking about, but the OP did say keep to technical and homebrew, so I'll follow his topics.

Homebrew with the Wii would be fantastic, but a big part of me is hoping/expecting that Nintendo will, at some point, make a Nintendo version of XNA, and so they might be trying to hold off for that, making sure there is plenty of market room for that.

piL on
  • Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Did anyone else have a really hard time understanding the German guy?

[Edit] Never mind. It got a lot easier when he started talking about the two kinds of back doors. Fascinating stuff really.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    RocielRociel Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    As a Brit, this pleases me to no end. If the Wii was hacked this easily, bye-bye region locking.

Rociel on
    Too big sig. 500x80 plzkthx.
  • Options
    homeobockshomeobocks Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wow. It kind of makes you wonder who thinks these things up. As long as the Wii is using CPU cycles to decrypt games, how could they not instantly go for public-key encryption? It's what Microsoft did years ago (hey, that aspect of the Xbox was never cracked). It just boggles the mind.

That's the kind of algorithm an idiot would use to encrypt his luggage.

homeobocks on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    homeobocks wrote:
    Wow. It kind of makes you wonder who thinks these things up. As long as the Wii is using CPU cycles to decrypt games, how could they not instantly go for public-key encryption? It's what Microsoft did years ago (hey, that aspect of the Xbox was never cracked). It just boggles the mind.

I believe that was referencing Gamecube games. Wii games are asymmetrically encrypted.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    GertBeefGertBeef Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Rociel wrote:
    As a Brit, this pleases me to no end. If the Wii was hacked this easily, bye-bye region locking.

2 bucks says Nintendo planned this... in league with Action Replay!

GertBeef on
    gertsig.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    A bit of a dubious subject given the rules to be commenting on on this board, but in relation to this topic the first "rip" of a game was released not too long back. Not playable yet though.

As someone above said, region-free would be excellent for us brits. Not only do we get shafted with release dates I've noticed we don't even have Super Mario World on the Virtual Console yet. Which is annoying as I thoroughly intended to purchase that!

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote:
    A bit of a dubious subject given the rules to be commenting on on this board, but in relation to this topic the first "rip" of a game was released not too long back. Not playable yet though.

As someone above said, region-free would be excellent for us brits. Not only do we get shafted with release dates I've noticed we don't even have Super Mario World on the Virtual Console yet. Which is annoying as I thoroughly intended to purchase that!

It's not available in North America, either.

Samphis on
  • Options
    InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't care about downloading games or anything, I just want to be able to play Japanese games because I must play One Piece Unlimited in it's pure untainted form!

InitialDK on
    "I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I feel the same way if datel can make a freeloader type device for the Wii that would be great.

That or a way to change the region of my wii to download Japanese VC games/play import games are the only security backdoors i'm interested in.

BigJoeM on
  • Options
    Locust76Locust76 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    homeobocks wrote:

:^:

Locust76 on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    InitialDK wrote:
    I don't care about downloading games or anything, I just want to be able to play Japanese games because I must play One Piece Unlimited in it's pure untainted form!

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    mccmcc glitch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm not so curious about running unsigned code. I just want to use the Wii controller with my computer.

I've got the program that lets you use the remote without the sensor bar working already...

mcc on
  • Options
    Si SenorSi Senor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Secuwiity? you had to shoe-horn that in somewhere, didn't you. :P

Si Senor on
    sigging2.jpg
  • Options
    Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    homeobocks wrote:

The code is....1....2....3....4....5.

Ramen Noodle on
  • Options
    homeobockshomeobocks Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    jonxp wrote:
    homeobocks wrote:

I believe that was referencing Gamecube games. Wii games are asymmetrically encrypted.

Yes, you're right. Damn it.

homeobocks on
  • Options
    LupintheThirdLupintheThird Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    InitialDK wrote:

Since 4Kids has given up on dubbing One Piece completely as of a week or two ago, I don't think you would have to worry about seeing a "tainted" version come out anyway.

So, imports ahoy!

LupintheThird on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Action Replay for the Wii :^:

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    InitialDK wrote:

Since 4Kids has given up on dubbing One Piece completely as of a week or two ago, I don't think you would have to worry about seeing a "tainted" version come out anyway.

So, imports ahoy!
    Goddamnit 4kids, you fucking bastards.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'll put my Wii in YOUR backdoor :winky:

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    InitialDK wrote:

So, imports ahoy!

So, so I don't have to hear that damn theme ever again?

Oh sweet merciful god, you do exist.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've conversed with TMBNC many times but I never knew him to be so cocky! Anyway, he really jumped the gun on the drivecode. Wii piracy is NOT currently possible. The drive may accept the new lower-case version of the PW, but it does not respond to command afterward rendering the whole "Ha ha!" thing pointless. Nintendo had no reason to remove the password function or choose a more secure password if the functionality it protects is removed, so the joke is on them. Even the case change could have happened unintentionally.

Thankfully, the Wii is still secure from piracy. Unfortunately, GC homebrew remains the only homebrew option.

CZroe on
  • Options
    InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    InitialDK wrote:

So, imports ahoy!
    Goddamnit 4kids, you fucking bastards.

Amazing how they managed to take one of the most popular franchises in the world and fuck it up. You'd think they'd have learned from Dragonball. Oh well, time to make an on topic post......er...

I got nothing....

InitialDK on
    "I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.