• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    WMain00 wrote: »
    Look, as I said in the Chat thread, this can only mean one thing:

Coca Cola Moonshine.

Pepsi will probably follow suit afterwards with Moonsi.

Wasn't that how the movie Mac and Me started? Aliens addicted to cola?

Oh...my...god..

Tell me mac and me was that et follow up wanna be movie way back in the 80s that had that infamous Wheelchair scene with him careening off a cliff at breakneck speed and was basically a mcdonalds and skittles commercial? Fuck I loved that movie, I can still watch it in a just awed fact that this movie was actually made.
    I still need to see that movie with some friends. It sounds awesome.

Infamous wheelchair scene? I had to look it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5le9sYdYkM&feature=related

emnmnme on
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You know what goes great with Moon bases.

Space Elevators.
    We should get one of those built while we're at it.

101 on
  • Options
    TonyTheLeperTonyTheLeper Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    WMain00 wrote: »
    Look, as I said in the Chat thread, this can only mean one thing:

Coca Cola Moonshine.

Pepsi will probably follow suit afterwards with Moonsi.

Wasn't that how the movie Mac and Me started? Aliens addicted to cola?

Oh...my...god..

Tell me mac and me was that et follow up wanna be movie way back in the 80s that had that infamous Wheelchair scene with him careening off a cliff at breakneck speed and was basically a mcdonalds and skittles commercial? Fuck I loved that movie, I can still watch it in a just awed fact that this movie was actually made.
    I still need to see that movie with some friends. It sounds awesome.

Infamous wheelchair scene? I had to look it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5le9sYdYkM&feature=related

Oh my god. HAHAHAHA I Can't believe you found a video of it. Its so long tho, all you need are the first 25 seconds, and maybe 20 seconds of repeatedly showing the HUGE cliff that kid falls off into the water. Its just SO ridiculous I can't help laughing and laughing. I'm 27 years old and I just watched, about 6 times in a row those 10 seconds of him flying through the air and then Mac just popping up. LOL oh god, what a movie.

TonyTheLeper on
  • Options
    RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    101 wrote: »
    You know what goes great with Moon bases.

Space Elevators.
    We should get one of those built while we're at it.

While your comment is tongue-in-cheek, some people seem to disagree.

Honestly, I hope to go to space within my lifetime, not because I'll be someone famous, incredibly rich or what-have-you, but because it'll be available. Even if it's on a dumb elevator, or some tiny shuttle that takes tourists out to space for all of 30 seconds.

Raakam on
    My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Oh my god. HAHAHAHA I Can't believe you found a video of it. Its so long tho, all you need are the first 25 seconds, and maybe 20 seconds of repeatedly showing the HUGE cliff that kid falls off into the water. Its just SO ridiculous I can't help laughing and laughing. I'm 27 years old and I just watched, about 6 times in a row those 10 seconds of him flying through the air and then Mac just popping up. LOL oh god, what a movie.

WHAT THE FUCK!?! WHAT THE FLYING FUCK!!??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWo9lJ_y7Do&feature=related

I watched this movie once as a kid and, back then, I thought it was as good as ET. I debated this with my cousins.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    How is building the first self-sustaining colony on a foreign planet NOT beneficial to mankind? I mean that's the big thing about finding water there, right? That we can build an enclosed ecosystem and shit?

theSquid on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    Daxon wrote: »
    comparison: architects don't just say "yay I'm building an office building! okay, let's do that" then put up some walls, a roof and in-door utilities. They define what the purpose of the office building is going to be and under what circumstances it will be used. Then design/build after those objectives.

Not really, unless you are fortunate to get a very specific type of project with dedicated needs and future expectations. Such as a library, religious structure, or hospital. Otherwise the goal is to make things more universal rather than dedicated towards meeting certain specific objectives. Which is how you have adaptive reuse. Otherwise everything would have to be torn down immediately after its function became obsolete and you'd need a new building for what replaced it.

And you'd be amazed at what constituted construction documents not even a century ago.

You're still building it for a specific purpose: to be reusable by a number of different clients and types of customers.

You don't just go "oh, we're uh building something here" and then end up with a statue instead of the office building you wanted. Because that's daft.

Also I don't know about you guys but I have never seen or heard of ANY research paper WHATSOEVER that has ever had anything of a hypothesis like "So we're looking into space. More to come soon."

There are things that are discovered by accident while researching other things but you can't just have "general research" it would make science completely unsystematic and dumb.

General research is the equivalent of me going "so I decided to research things. My focus is narrowed to The Cosmos." Oh, that's very useful, where do you start? Planets? Stars? Vacuum? Someone please give me an example of "general research". People studying cancers don't just go "oh cancer, this should be cured. I'll start testing random tumours on different body parts and tissue types with a variety of household compounds - this will yield lots of usable data!"

@Squid: we already have an enclosed ecosystem. It's called Earth. We're VERY well adapted to living and thriving there, it really is quite a nice place.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    How about

'a study and experiment into creating sustainable off world research stations and colonies. Starting with the moon'

EDIT: But come on, its a moon base

And if we want the human race to keep going, getting off this rock has to be done at some point. No point just sitting round saying 'everything cool is really far away, whats the point'

101 on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    comparison: architects don't just say "yay I'm building an office building! okay, let's do that" then put up some walls, a roof and in-door utilities. They define what the purpose of the office building is going to be and under what circumstances it will be used. Then design/build after those objectives.

Not really, unless you are fortunate to get a very specific type of project with dedicated needs and future expectations. Such as a library, religious structure, or hospital. Otherwise the goal is to make things more universal rather than dedicated towards meeting certain specific objectives. Which is how you have adaptive reuse. Otherwise everything would have to be torn down immediately after its function became obsolete and you'd need a new building for what replaced it.

And you'd be amazed at what constituted construction documents not even a century ago.

You're still building it for a specific purpose: to be reusable by a number of different clients and types of customers.

You don't just go "oh, we're uh building something here" and then end up with a statue instead of the office building you wanted. Because that's daft.

Are you being this obtuse for a reason, or just for fun?
    Also I don't know about you guys but I have never seen or heard of ANY research paper WHATSOEVER that has ever had anything of a hypothesis like "So we're looking into space. More to come soon."

There are things that are discovered by accident while researching other things but you can't just have "general research" it would make science completely unsystematic and dumb.

General research is the equivalent of me going "so I decided to research things. My focus is narrowed to The Cosmos." Oh, that's very useful, where do you start? Planets? Stars? Vacuum? Someone please give me an example of "general research". People studying cancers don't just go "oh cancer, this should be cured. I'll start testing random tumours on different body parts and tissue types with a variety of household compounds - this will yield lots of usable data!"

The National Science Foundation

moniker on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I would think

Creating and testing a self sustaining colony on the moon with the following objectives:

-Feasability of large scale construction on non-earth bodies (low gravity construction)
    -resource gathering and transport (Helium-3 from the moon to the earth) (could be useful for asteroid mining by robots)
    -research and development on radiation shielding technologies (useful for voyages to other planets)
    -Large scale solar cell deployment and battery research

This is just stuff I pulled out of my ass while reading the thread. The argument that there is no good scientific goals to go to the moon is rediculous.

That being said, dickwaving is a good enough reason for me. There seems to be a massive disconnect between those of us who think "it's never been done before, we're humans let's do it!" and those of us that think "It's too expensive, there are much more practical uses for the money/effort". I've never seen on convince the other and it's pretty depressing :(

Aridhol on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    If they placed solar panels across large surfaces of the moon, they would have to repair them an awful lot. I'd imagine not having an atmosphere let's every fist-sized rock impact the moon with enough force to bust up equipment.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well, they wouldn't need to like ring the moon in them. I imagine a number of clusters could probably do the job. I'm sure there'd be maintenance/repairs that would need to be done from time to time but I don't think it'd be unmanagable.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    If you were going for a long term base, perhaps the solar panels could be used as a stopgap till a (very small) nuclear station was set up

101 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well, they wouldn't need to like ring the moon in them. I imagine a number of clusters could probably do the job. I'm sure there'd be maintenance/repairs that would need to be done from time to time but I don't think it'd be unmanagable.

It'd be terrible. It'd be like the Dunkin' Donuts man's schedule ("Time to make the donuts...") except some guy would scooting around in one of them thar moon cars and constantly sighing. "Time to patch the cracks and hope I don't die of radiation poisoning..."

emnmnme on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Obviously we'd make it the newest form of hard labor for criminals.

If they riot they get smaller oxygen rations.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

WHAT THE FUCK!?! WHAT THE FLYING FUCK!!??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWo9lJ_y7Do&feature=related

I watched this movie once as a kid and, back then, I thought it was as good as ET. I debated this with my cousins.

Hahaha not to keep side tracking this thread with Mac and Me, but I forgot ALLLL about that ending. Hahaha this is what I mean about this movie. It is just pure ridiculous all the way through. And the fact the aliens look like people with just really really badly made masks on swaying and talking with this stupid voice/language was gold. I can't believe how many parts of this terrible movie are on Youtube.

TonyTheLeper on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Counterargument: Everything Heinlein's ever written.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Counterargument: Everything Heinlein's ever written.

Which is a bad thing....how? I liked his writing. Sure it was simplistic and fun, and got horribly horribly massacred by hollywood, but for when it was written...not bad at all

TonyTheLeper on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    We need a moon base so we can study the unforseen problems you encounter living in hostile environments without being so far away that we can't get stuff to fix them easily. The whole idea would be an excellent trial run for more ambitious projects. As a species, even in a universe without FTL travel, our major goal in the solar system should be terraforming another planet to be human habitable but that's going to take a long period of dealing with hostile environments.

Mars and Venus are both good candidates, I tend to vote Venus but both will require small manned expeditions to live and work in hostile environments while we do it. Not to mention the benefits that would come from having the capability to deploy effective research teams directly to areas of interest - robots are great and all, but the time delay is a problem. Humans are spongy and breakable though - what we need is the middle ground, the capability to move humans closer to the robots where they're working and to give them as much mobility and capability as possible while they're there.

I mean, if you were studying say, the outer solar system - Titan - comes to mind, then it would be far far better if it could be done with robotic probes controlled from it's orbit or similar - somewhere where people can be relatively safe, but the time-lag from light isn't so great.

Doing this means well, most of the things we need to figure out how to do on the moon - living, working, manufacturing from novel locally available materials, etc.

I mean jesus christ - can you imagine how awesome it would be if we could land a team on Europa to drill through that ice and tell us exactly what's under there? Because I damn well want to know.

EDIT: I would vote nominally, a moon base would be an excellent test-bed for undertaking extraplanetary geology in-situ. We'd finally be there long enough to dig deep and study how it formed, which would tell us a good deal about the formation of the solar system, mechanics of planet formation and the like. Even if the moon base isn't permanent, being there for an extended period would be well worth it.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    How the hell would it be remotely possible to survive on Venus? You might as well just go to a volcano and attempt to live there.

Couscous on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    How the hell would it be remotely possible to survive on Venus?

very, very briefly

Rust on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yea I really wasnt getting how venus was your next choice for planet relocation. It would be impressive just to have presence there for a short time with the highly corrosive enviroment, not to mention the long list of other issues.

TonyTheLeper on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    L|ama wrote: »
    Also: it's a fucking colony on the goddamn MOON. What part of that does not scream fuckawesome?

The part that's not going towards starving african paraplegic kittens. 8-)

I've decided that the US military budget should immediately be halved and the half that is saved should be spent on whatever the biggest problem of the year is decided to be.

L|ama on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    How the hell would it be remotely possible to survive on Venus? You might as well just go to a volcano and attempt to live there.

It looks cozy to me!

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Also: it's a fucking colony on the goddamn MOON. What part of that does not scream fuckawesome?

I've decided that the US military budget should immediately be halved and the half that is saved should be spent on whatever the biggest problem of the year is decided to be.

.......rea.....really....

With all the problems and equipment short comings of the military as it is, you want to cut it in HALF

You talk like that money goes towards funding crazy impossible projects like anti gravity cannons .... which would be awesome.... actually we should start funding some of that unicef money i shell out every halloween towards projects like this. Anti GRAVITY CANNONS. I dont know what it would do or how it works, but I want one....mounted on...A TANK...or...something

Seriously tho...you wernt serious about cutting military spending in half were you. Im not to sure why so many people think cutting military spending means the US being less involved in world issues and its projection ability. It just means its going to be done a lot more half assed with a lot more risk to the troops. That kind of issue needs to be dealt at the ground up with politicians and world issues, and not ball chopping off the middle system that is forced to maintain those decisions at the risk to its men and women serving.

TonyTheLeper on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yea I really wasnt getting how venus was your next choice for planet relocation. It would be impressive just to have presence there for a short time with the highly corrosive enviroment, not to mention the long list of other issues.

It actually has a strong atmosphere, unlike Mars.

Of course, that atmosphere being composed of sulfuric acid kind of counts against it...

moniker on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Of course, that atmosphere being composed of sulfuric acid kind of counts against it...

Which is why i pointed out the...highly corrosive enviroment...

At least on mars, while its weak, it doesnt have nearly the negative ramifications and destructive nature the venus one does.

TonyTheLeper on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

No, that's going to be saved for when we tap the asteroid belt for minerals.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Surface temperatures of over 460 °C.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

.......rea.....really....

With all the problems and equipment short comings of the military as it is, you want to cut it in HALF

You talk like that money goes towards funding crazy impossible projects like anti gravity cannons .... which would be awesome.... actually we should start funding some of that unicef money i shell out every halloween towards projects like this. Anti GRAVITY CANNONS. I dont know what it would do or how it works, but I want one....mounted on...A TANK...or...something

Seriously tho...you wernt serious about cutting military spending in half were you. Im not to sure why so many people think cutting military spending means the US being less involved in world issues and its projection ability. It just means its going to be done a lot more half assed with a lot more risk to the troops. That kind of issue needs to be dealt at the ground up with politicians and world issues, and not ball chopping off the middle system that is forced to maintain those decisions at the risk to its men and women serving.

A lot of the money does go into crazy, impossible projects. Like missile defense. Cutting the defense budget in half would still mean we still spend more than Russia and China combined by about a hundred billion. L|ama's seeming desire for everyone to wear hairshirts notwithstanding, but if spending double what all of NATO spends collectively results in having a half-assed military you're either implying that our soldiers are horrible at what they do in comparison to the Europeans, or saying that we're using solid gold ammunition.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Surface temperatures of over 460 °C.

So it's balmy, too.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    It doesn't make any sense to expand inward into the solar system anyhow.

Henroid on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It seems like somewhere like Mars where the problem is a weak atmosphere that simply doesn't protect you from space-born impacts would be preferable to Venus where the atmosphere is hostile and actively working against you.

The specs on the environmental rigs alone are mindblowing. Mars, on the other hand, would be like being underwater without all the pressure, just with a higher chance of catastrophic failure due to asteroid impact.
    Henroid wrote: »

I don't know about that. We loves us some natural resources.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

why?

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Al_wat wrote: »

why?

There be monsters.

moniker on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Really once you get underground things would get a lot easier.

The major impacts that would total an underground base would atomize an above ground base anyways.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Al_wat wrote: »

why?

Because conditions are only going to worsen for the inner part of the solar system. I know that's on a scope of billions of years, but expanding outward gives us baby steps toward getting people out of our system. The only possible thing I can see about trying to get man on Venus is developing the technology to get man-made machinery and structures made that can withstand its environment. Which would be an achievement yeah. But then what?

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Venus: Hellscape
    Mercury: Basically a shittier moon. Moon is closer.

Couscous on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Which would be an achievement yeah. But then what?
    Tomorrow; Venus.

Next week; The Sun.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you're talking about the expansion of the sun, I don't think that is going to happen soon enough that we should really worry about it.

Al_wat on