Options

They found water on the moon!

12346»

• Options
    ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Boy do I love finding promising avenues and technologies for killing brown people!
    Er, what? This is so stupidly myopic this is the only comment I'll ever make on it.

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Elitistb wrote: »
    Boy do I love finding promising avenues and technologies for killing brown people!
    Er, what? This is so stupidly myopic this is the only comment I'll ever make on it.

Nah dude, the OICW is a pretty case example of the military wasting money on fantasy projects that never bear fruit, simply because it can.

A project like that or the F22 or any number of other such money dumps being cancelled in any other federal department would put said department under serious budget review, but the military has a carte-blanche on this sort of wasteful spending.

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Knowing there is gross incompetence in the world's most powerful military is always highly comforting.

By comforting, I mean I'm happy I live in Europe.

Daxon on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Elitistb wrote: »

Nah dude, the OICW is a pretty case example of the military wasting money on fantasy projects that never bear fruit, simply because it can.

A project like that or the F22 or any number of other such money dumps being cancelled in any other federal department would put said department under serious budget review, but the military has a carte-blanche on this sort of wasteful spending.

I don't know what to think of the F-22. Wasn't the maintenance article rebuked?

The OICW was pretty stupid though, since it was apparent fairly early on that the high-tech grenade launcher was never going to be made light enough with present technology (or sturdy enough either).

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    Tourism.

I would pay obscene amounts of money to fly to the moon.

Just start off by marketing it to the rich.

"Hey, who wants to join the two hundred and thirty thousand mile high club?"
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Hiding the dead bodies of your murdered victims on the moon is more secure than dumping them in the Hudson with a pair of concrete shoes. No one's going to think to look for those bodies on the moon!

But what happens when all those dead bodies get possessed by demons?

No, no, those are the Ghosts of Mars.

The Moon? Just a dead rock.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Daxon wrote: »
    Knowing there is gross incompetence in the world's most powerful military is always highly comforting.

It's not incompetence in the military, it's incompetence in the system by which the military does R+D. Which is pretty much, as I understand it, entirely a political thing.

I'm pretty sure that it's the House and Senate who decide on projects, and they're the people who know nothing about anything that's needed or going on, so ask for stupid sci-fi bullshit, then contract it out to civilian companies with pretty much no real goals or anything remotely workable, and then redefine those goals every month anyways, while just writing blank checks to the companies that are getting the contracts.

Notice who isn't actually in that loop? That's right, anyone in the actual military. And that's where the problem lies.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Khavall wrote: »

It's not incompetence in the military, it's incompetence in the system by which the military does R+D. Which is pretty much, as I understand it, entirely a political thing.

I'm pretty sure that it's the House and Senate who decide on projects, and they're the people who know nothing about anything that's needed or going on, so ask for stupid sci-fi bullshit, then contract it out to civilian companies with pretty much no real goals or anything remotely workable, and then redefine those goals every month anyways, while just writing blank checks to the companies that are getting the contracts.

Notice who isn't actually in that loop? That's right, anyone in the actual military. And that's where the problem lies.

Okay, I'll rephrase that.

It's comforting to know that America is a grossly incompetent country.

By comforting, I mean I'm still happy I live in Europe.

Daxon on
  • Options
    Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Much better. Carry on.

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2009

Oh, there's tons of incompetence in the military, too. There's tons of incompetence in most massive organizations. Some are just better at mitigating it than others.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

Our military could still beat up your military so there
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Khavall wrote: Daxon wrote: Knowing there is gross incompetence in the world's most powerful military is always highly comforting.

Oh, there's tons of incompetence in the military, too. There's tons of incompetence in most massive organizations. Some are just better at mitigating it than others.

Sure, but the R+D of really stupid money sinks isn't a sign of incompetence in the military.

Khavall on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You know what's cool is the idea that there could theoretically be stars in existence that have been encased in Dyson spheres by advanced civilizations, and we would never be able to find them.

I mean, yeah, extremely unlikely, but theoretically possible.

Holy shit Jeffe

That's where all the dark matter is

Give this man a Nobel

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You know what's cool is the idea that there could theoretically be stars in existence that have been encased in Dyson spheres by advanced civilizations, and we would never be able to find them.

I mean, yeah, extremely unlikely, but theoretically possible.

Holy shit Jeffe

That's where all the dark matter is

Give this man a Nobel

That much mass would create distortions in light and gravity. Even if it was just a molecule thick sphere around what's left of their solar system. Eventually we'd be able to find them.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Yeah, the house + senate fly completely on a whim and are totally not told by military commanders what they need/want, even completely bold face lied to in many instances.

The house and senate will really only jump in when it comes a big budget concern, such as in the case of say the f22
    I don't know what to think of the F-22. Wasn't the maintenance article rebuked?
    I haven't really seen anything rebuking it, but even if the maintenance wasn't totally ridiculous, it's still hundreds of millions of dollars for super mega ultra fighters that are going to end up being useless against your run of the mill, 2 cent and duct tape insurgencies.

But all this is really off-topic, the general idea is wouldn't it be great if some peaceful and inspirational ventures got some cash for once? This Mars + Moon stuff is the perfect set up to inspire a whole new generation of kids to become scientists and astronauts and what have you, similar to the Apollo program way back.

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Our military could still beat up your military so there

I'm Swedish. We don't have a military, or well, the little military we do have is reserved for UN obligations only. We don't have anything to defend us from the uh... insidious, uh, Russians?

Ye we're too far away and too well-liked to be of any relevance to any military conflict. Go Project Staying-Off-The-Radar!

Daxon on
  • Options
    GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Uh.... the only thing that's dead about the OICW program is the plan to attach a rifle to the grenade launcher. The DoD continued developing the grenades, they're just requesting it in a standalone package instead of as part of a combined weapon.

The XM-25 is basically an OICW stripped of it's rifle. Field testing has already occurred in the middle east theater. Whether some squads will have them organically or whether they would be distributed at the platoon level to weapons squads is still up in the air, since the grenades are still way more expensive then machine gun ammunition or mortar rounds. The case can be made both ways (that it would be cheaper to provide platoons a grenadier team in their weapons squad, but it would be more effective to provide all or some rifle squads an organic grenadier).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM25_Individual_Airburst_Weapon_System

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg