As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Setting up a wireless router with one ethernet cable

spacerobotspacerobot Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I have a wireless router. It's been working great for me. Unfortunately when I move it from modem to modem, I have to "reset" the router to work with the modem. This involves me putting in the linksys CD and running it and all that good stuff.

I spent the other day at my friends house, and she doesn't have wireless, so she asked me to bring the router over for the day. No problem. I get to her house, it doesn't work, so I have to run the CD like I said earlier. I get home the next day and want to set the router back up in my apartment. I put in the CD to get it all set up, but then realize I have lost an ethernet cable. The router needs one cable from the modem to the router, then one from the router to the computer. I used to have two cables, but one seems to have disappeared. How do I do this?

The router is a Cisco Linksys router WRT54G2. I would normally just go out and buy another cable, but I am a peace corps volunteer and have an extremely limited budget, and don't know if i could even find a cable any time soon.

Any tips on how to do this?

test.jpg
spacerobot on

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have never needed a CD to install anything for a wifi router. Usually you plug the router into the modem (with an ethernet cable), it's reset to default mode (name is probably linksys, username and pass are probably admin/admin), and you can connect to that since it's open. Then you direct your browser to the IP and change the settings to your hearts content.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    spacerobotspacerobot Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have never needed a CD to install anything for a wifi router. Usually you plug the router into the modem (with an ethernet cable), it's reset to default mode (name is probably linksys, username and pass are probably admin/admin), and you can connect to that since it's open. Then you direct your browser to the IP and change the settings to your hearts content.

That works great, but for some reason I only get "local only" connection until I run the disc. Any suggestions? Do I need to change a setting to get internet?

spacerobot on
    test.jpg