As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Week o Games, 11/15: New SMB Wii, A.Creed 2, L4D2, GOW Coln, Darkside Chron., LBP PSP

slash000slash000 Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Games and Technology
Another week, another 7 days of new game releases!

Welcome to the 90 edition of G&T's newly traditional "Weekly Games Release Thread!" - Week 11/15/09 - 11/21/09 !

Where we discuss what we're looking forward to, what we're going to buy, and what we're just now realizing is being released this week that we had forgotten about!

NDS

181039b.jpg

Assassin's Creed II: Discovery

181108b.jpg

Lego Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues

Planet 51
Kamen Rider Dragon Knight
Bermuda Triangle: Saving the Coral
Discovery Kids: Spider Quest
Foto Frenzy
Imagine: Artist
Junior Classic Games
My Ballet Studio
Personal Fitness for Men
Personal Fitness for Women
Petz Dogz Talent Show
Petz Hamsterz Superstarz
The Princess and the Frog

PC

647614b.jpg

Left 4 Dead 2

648019b.jpg

The Sims 3 World Adventures

Elven Legacy: Siege
Elven Legacy: Siege
Hidden Secrets: The Nightmare
King's Bounty: Armored Princess
Strength & Honour 2

PS2

SingStar Latino

PS3

270397b.jpg

Assassin's Creed II

270736b.jpg

God of War Collection

270465b.jpg

270420brp.jpg

Tony Hawk Ride

270461b.jpg

NCAA Basketball 10

Planet 51
Scene It? Bright Lights! Big Screen!
SingStar Latino

PSP

190965b.jpg

LittleBigPlanet

190975b.jpg

Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines

190981b.jpg

191329b.jpg

F1 2009

Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Tag Force 4

Echoes

Wii

230652b.jpg

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

230614b.jpg

Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles

230634brp.jpg

Tony Hawk Ride

230695b.jpg

230743b.jpg

EA Sports Active More Workouts

230713b.jpg

F1 2009

Pokemon Rumble
Street Fighter II': Champion Edition
Bermuda Triangle: Saving the Coral
Crazy Chicken Tales
Jambo! Safari: Animal Rescue
JumpStart Escape From Adventure Island
Just Dance
Kamen Rider Dragon Knight
My Ballet Studio
Planet 51
Cocoto Festival

Xbox360

200719b.jpg

Left 4 Dead 2

200674b.jpg

Assassin's Creed II

200748b.jpg

NCAA Basketball 10

200752b.jpg

200703brp.jpg

Tony Hawk Ride

200794b.jpg

Stoked: Big Air Edition

Gyromancer_Screenshot.jpg

Gyromancer

Planet 51

Fall is in full force, again!.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii is out TODAY. Go get it! If you like classic 2D sidescrolling, platforming, Mario action with up to 4 players!

Wii also gets Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles, the sequel to the very good rails-shooter Umbrella Chronicles. Wii also gets an EA Sports Active expansion too.

The HD systems get another huge game this week: Assassin's Creed 2 comes out! Hopefully it will improve upon some of the faults of the first. Side note: the PC version comes out a few months from now. Speaking of AC, the NDS and PSP each get their own unique Assassin's Creed titles. The Nintendo DS one is a 2D sidescrolling platformer/action game, and looks very good. The PSP game is supposed to be more like the console games.

Every system gets Lego Indy Jones.

The consoles all get Tony Hawk Ride, the newest Actiblizz game that comes packed with a peripheral controller, this being a skateboard periph that you can stand on to simulate skateboarding.

The 360 and PC get Valve's latest - Left 4 Dead 2 comes out this week! A lot of people are excited, despite attempts to boycott the game.

360 also gets Stoked, the sequel to the snowboarding (i think?) game that's trying to compete with Shaun White.

Last but certainly not least, the PSP is getting the portable version of Little Big Planet. So yay for awesome portable games!

I think that's the highlights of the week. Oh there's also a new NCAA Basketball game out too.

edit: Gyromancer for the 360 is out this week - It's like Puzzle Quest but it's developed by a dream team - PopCap for the puzzle gameplay, Square-Enix for the RPGing & art.

slash000 on

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Assassin's Creed II!

God of War Collection!

I'm pissed though, because from what I'm hearing apparently GOWC isn't shipping until the 17th, so they won't have it in till the 18th...which means that at tomorrow's midnight release for ACII/L4D2, I won't be able to pick it up. :(

EDIT: Ooh, IGN God of War Collection review: 9.4

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Assassin's Creed II!

God of War Collection!

I'm pissed though, because from what I'm hearing apparently GOWC isn't shipping until the 17th, so they won't have it in till the 18th...which means that at tomorrow's midnight release for ACII/L4D2, I won't be able to pick it up. :(

EDIT: Ooh, IGN God of War Collection review: 9.4

It also deserves mentioning that this Collection is only $40, which is a reasonable asking price considering it's the same as 2 "greatest hits" PS2 iterations of these two games, except that now, they run entirely in 720p and have much smoother framerates and v-sync and presumably anti-aliasing.

slash000 on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You forgot to mention another highlight of the week: Gyromancer. It's like Puzzle Quest but it's developed by a dream team - PopCap for the puzzle gameplay, Square-Enix for the RPGing & art.

Gyromancer_Screenshot.jpg

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    You forgot to mention another highlight of the week: Gyromancer. It's like Puzzle Quest but it's developed by a dream team - PopCap for the puzzle gameplay, Square-Enix for the RPGing & art.

No.

I can't

This is too many games in one week

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Any reviews on ride?

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Haven't seen any reviews, but even the previews have been terrible. That can't bode well.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm curious -

Anyone getting either portable iteration of Assassin's Creed 2?

What about LittleBigPlanet PSP?

I'm thinking I'll eventually get the NDS A's Creed assuming it gets good reviews, since it's a 2D platformer and has some potential to be a "Prince of Persia"-esque game.

I'll probably get Little Big Planet for PSP assuming it gets decent reviews because, well, I don't have a PS3 to get the original.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm a little wary on any portable AC; the DS/iPhone version sucked so incredibly bad.

Especially on the iPhone...control can be a travesty on that thing sometimes.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Haven't seen any reviews, but even the previews have been terrible. That can't bode well.

Yeah, I am assuming it will be terrible.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    What a week to celebrate a birthday! I'm getting RE: Darkside Chronicles from my wife. My parents will probably send $100 over my way like they do every year. What to get, what to get? I thought I was going to be able to stand firm, but NSMB Wii is looking awfully tempting. Then again, I could just just drop a little money on the VC for my retro platforming - maybe replay SMW & pick up Kirby 64 (never played, though I like Kirby) - and save a bit of money which I could then use for something else.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Why would someone with a Wii not get NSMB Wii? Start making sense.

Also, Kirby 64 sucks. Play Super Star Ultra on the DS or pray to the gods on high that Nintendo finally puts Kirby Super Star (also known as The Best Damn SNES Game Ever Made) onto the VC.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'll definitely be getting NSMBW, but I'll be getting most of my games as x-mas gifts from people, so I guess I'll have to wait a month :P

Seriously I'm still chugging through my birthday gifts from last month, which are all now part of my backlog. Thankfully I'm doing the Backlog Challenge so at this rate I should have be free and clear by the time x-mas hits so that when I get New SMB Wii, I'll be able to enjoy it. With friends and family at that, thanks to multiplayer! :)

But seriously it's hard to wait for New SMB Wii. I really just want to go out and buy it. But I'm going to finish my backlog first and get this for xmas.

Also I can't wait for Darkside Chronicles either. The first was such an excellent game I'm really looking forward to the new one.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I was hoping TrU would've had a good deal on AC2 this week. Sadly, that's not the case.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Why would someone with a Wii not get NSMB Wii? Start making sense.

'cause it's $50. For that much money, I could pick up

SMB1 + SMB: Lost Levels + SMB3 + SMW + SMRPG + Paper Mario + another SNES game like Zombies ate my Neighbros.

Admittedly, aside from Paper Mario, I've played all of those games before, but that doesn't change the fact that they're all awesome games and I don't currently own any of them. But hey, that's just me - since the birth of XBLA/WiiWare/VC/PSN, full priced retail games have become a lot less attractive to me than they once were.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Lightor216Lightor216 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    AC PSP is pretty good from what I hear.

Lightor216 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Lightor216 wrote: »

Is there a place with some hands on previews? The full reviews aren't out yet.

Speaking of PSP, there are lots of LBP PSP reviews out, and they're all very very positive.

I'll definitely be getting that one.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Lightor216Lightor216 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    Lightor216 wrote: »

Is there a place with some hands on previews? The full reviews aren't out yet.

Speaking of PSP, there are lots of LBP PSP reviews out, and they're all very very positive.

I'll definitely be getting that one.

There was this one a few months back: http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3176032

Lightor216 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Oh hey guys,

Is anyone getting Steam errors?

Because I tried to download a demo just now on Steam and I get constant errors.

Is that because everyone and their mother is pre-loading Left 4 Dead 2, and it's hogging Valve's servers?

slash000 on
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Is this the right place to predict the bomba of NSMB Wii?

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Man, Little Big Planet and Assassin's Creed both coming out for the PSP this week? I'm totally out of the loop.

Is there still a level editor in the LBP PSP version? Oh, and did they change the gameplay formula from AC? The graphics sure look great for a handheld game.

Also, nooo, SMB Wii comes out on Friday here in Europe. D:

To answer my own question: Yep, LBP still has a level editor. I'll have to get it down the road.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    Yellow RangerYellow Ranger Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wow God of War Collection is that soon? For some reason I thought it was early next year. I'll pick that up in the next few weeks.

Bomb? NSMB Wii? Why would it do that? The single player is fantastic and it's loads of fun with friends.

Yellow Ranger on
    sigcx.jpg
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think maybe he means bomb in the good way.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

If by bomb you mean it will outsell MW2 due to its no-doubt-inevitable legs, then yes.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Man, Little Big Planet and Assassin's Creed both coming out for the PSP this week? I'm totally out of the loop.

Is there still a level editor in the LBP PSP version? Oh, and did they change the gameplay formula from AC? The graphics sure look great for a handheld game.

To answer my own question: Yep, LBP still has a level editor. I'll have to get it down the road.

Yeah I haven't dug into it much, but LBP on PSP is essentially the same gameplay with a few changes. Changes being a) no multiplayer, b) no "background/foreground" bits in the levels (ie it's purely on a 2D plane), and c) the level editor is there but somehow not as robust as the PS3 version or something.

Even so, it's getting awesome reviews and I think they did jsut about all they can do with the hardware.

As far as A's Creed PSP, from what little I've read, it's similar gameplay as the console versions, except this is a continuation of A's Creed 1's story line and you play as Altair rather than Enzio or whoever. However, they've added a couple of moves from AC2 in the mix but mostly it's apparently like AC1.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Thanks @slash000.

Not having a PS3, I was always so envious of those who could play LBP. Now I'll be getting it on my PSP and they can suck it up, serves them right ha!

In all seriousness, I've been eyeing the Megaman PSP remake for quite a while, and now this game has an even better editor. Too bad I don't buy my PSP games full-priced, but I'll get it as soon as it becomes cheaper.

And regarding AC, I heard horrible things about the gameplay (the console one). On the other hand, it does look very, very pretty.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I hear Nintendo is sponsoring a new version of bomba style music to promote NSMB Wii in Puerto Rico.
    You are stupid if you think the game will bomb. Straight up stupid.

Graviija on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ffffffffffffffffffffffffffff-

Games I want to buy:

Assassin's Creed 2, Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines (Kinda wary as I got suckered for the DS version of the first game, but I'd imagine it couldn't be that bad.), God of War Collection, LittleBigPlanet PSP.

Games I have the money for:

I honestly didn't think GoWC game out this week. Urrrrgh. Does it come with the demo code for GoW3's demo, or was that just a pre-order bonus?

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    And regarding AC, I heard horrible things about the gameplay (the console one). On the other hand, it does look very, very pretty.

There was nothing really wrong with the gameplay. Combat might've been simple and the investigation tasks were terribly repetitive, but the game itself was just fine.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    AC1 had quite a few problems. I can even see why some people would call it horrible (though I'm not one of them).

Hopefully the sequel fixes most of these problems, and it would appear it has.

No clue about that PSP one though.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Besides what I mentioned, what did you find wrong with it? Gameplaywise, that is.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm one of those people that thought A's Creed was okay at best, but pretty repetitive and largely unrewarding.

There are several key ways that A's Creed II can improve upon the first to make it a much, much, much better game.

So here's to hoping!

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Aside from the automatic climbing that I can see putting a lot of people off, nothing really.

But repetition on that grand a scale? I can see why someone would call it a bad game.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Meh. And I say that not to pooh-pooh the criticism. It's definitely very valid criticism. I just mean that I didn't find the repetitiveness all that distracting. In fact, before I ever played the game I'd heard that and couldn't understand was everybody was talking about. It wasn't until after four or five assassinations that I figured it out...

I was having fun.

At least they acknowledged these issues and they've at least claimed to make efforts to fix them in AC2. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If there's skippable cutscenes and end of the game replayability, then that's all I care about. The first point is more crucial to the second, I'd say, since the only reason I never wanted to replay AC1 was because of the cutscenes, even when you just jumped back into the chapter.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Cutscenes are not skippable.

There are subtitles this time around, though. This was actually a really big point for me. I can't believe the first game didn't have them.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    If you read this, keep in mind that I still thought the game was okay, if you want to know what issues there are with it, you can read this, but Assassin's Creed fans please don't get too rubbed the wrong way by this:

It was highly repetitive. Yeah, you went to new cities. But practically speaking, the different cities didn't really feel all that different when you actually played. A lot of the game involves getting from point A to point B, but because of how it's set up, that typically just involves aiming Altair at your goal, holding the stick up, and holding down the X (feet) button and the game pretty much takes care of the rest. That's an exaggeration, but really, there's very little involve as far as maneuvering through the roof tops. It's largely unrewarding as a gameplay mechanic.

Secondly, every city is the same routine. Navigate to a tower, climb, drop, Assassin's Beureau, get 3 assignments, assassinate. Now, that would be great if each city or memory block was truly unique in some way, but it never is. Navigation is always the same, climbing towers is always the same, the pre-assassination missions are almost always the same. And the missions themselves are fairly boring at that; sitting on a bench. Walking behind a guy and pressing a button. Perhaps the most exciting ones are the ones where you actually have to run from point A to B in a short time, but again, the climbing mechanic makes this pretty mindless to do. And then you get the assassination missions... which sound cool but... there's really not much to them. You climb your way to where the target is and.. press a button, the end. I don't expect a boss battle or anything, but it's like each city/memory block is leading up to something, and then it just falls flat.

Other than that, the story was pretty mediocre IMO, or at least, it felt that way. I mean, I can get over the whole sci-fi okay, but where they went in the last 15 percent of the game was pretty hilariously bad, plot-wise. And then there's the combat. Once you get the reversal attack it becomes an easy, repetitive, fairly mindless breeze just like the rest of the game. And the guards are always the same, always repetitive like the rest of the game, for the most part. And even when they fight in groups they're still too polite to attack you as more than one at a time, making your one by one take-down of them with the reversal move all the easier.

All that said, I enjoyed this more than POP08, as a side note.

And, I'm still moderately looking forward to the sequel in hopes that they can add some variety to every aspect of the game and make the gameplay more satisfying to actually play.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Aw man, slash.

The story is wonderful and feels like it's really going somewhere awesome.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Poor paragraph structure aside, I still found ways to enjoy the game despite all that. I didn't really notice any of that until about halfway through the game and by then, I didn't care. Killing third crusade dudes was fun. Shanking those fucking Templars was fun.

I look forward to knifing posh, Italian gits.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The story is good enough for a video game, but perhaps my problem was that my expectations were too high? I'm not sure. I think the thing that got me was :

plot spoiler:
    From de Sablé he discovers that Al Mualim is himself a member of the Knights Templar, and used Altaïr to kill the other members so he could keep the treasure for himself. Altaïr quickly returns to Masyaf to accost his master, who reveals the truth: the Piece of Eden which he had received from one of the men in the Temple after Altaïr's transgression creates illusions. He denounces religion and other seemingly supernatural events (e.g. the parting of the Red Sea, the Ten Plagues of Egypt and the presence of the Greek Gods in the Trojan War) as illusions caused by it, then states his intention to use the artifact to compel mankind into a brainwashed state and so bring an end to all conflict. Altaïr is eventually able to see through deceptions created by the artifact to kill Al Mualim. When Altaïr recovers the artifact, the Piece of Eden activates, showing a holographic view of the world with numerous locations of other Pieces of Eden marked across the globe.

That's where I thought the story just went from pretty good to just .. well just another average video game plot.

It's not terrible it just seemed to go a little too far, even after going in expecting a sci-fi plot.

Poor paragraph structure aside, I still found ways to enjoy the game despite all that. I didn't really notice any of that until about halfway through the game and by then, I didn't care. Killing third crusade dudes was fun. Shanking those fucking Templars was fun.

I look forward to knifing posh, Italian gits.

Is that better? :P

Like I said, it's still a decent game. Once I started taking breaks between new Cities it didn't feel as tedious and the repetitive nature of it didn't bother me as much.

I look forward to this sequel and I hope they keep things mixed up or find a better way to make things feel fresh with each new city. Or have more variety in the required missions.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Potential spoilers for AC2 and perhaps even AC3
    I really dig that whole "here are the rest of the pieces scattered around the globe" kinda deal. It reminds me of the Triforce in Zelda in a lot of ways, or any other similar MacGuffins in fiction; they exist as an end to the means of kick-ass gameplay in a variety of locales. This game takes place a few centuries after AC1, in Italy during the Renaissance. However, the Achievement list indicates that Desmond will be broken out of Abstergo and placed into another Animus created by Lucy; seeing as by the end of AC1, he had one of Altair's abilities - Eagle Vision - I can only assume that he's going to be getting more and more synchronized with his assassin abilities; if this leads to a modern-day AC3 starring Desmond, I can't think of anything that will make me happier.

Also, as for another of your complaints, slash, the developers claim that each of the cities in AC2 will be markedly different from the others. Also there is real countryside inbetween (think more San Andreas than AC1) with missions to do out there as well (rather than just lame flag-collecting and running around on your horse).

UnbreakableVow on