Options

Games of the 21st Winter Olympiad: Day 4

• Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Canada should only be allowed one mascot, and they would be able to use it for anything they want.
    This guy
    Bonhomme1_MP_2002.jpg
    That's not Youppi and I was expecting Youppi how can it be anything but Youppi you are so bad at this.

Winter olympics are less good than summer olympics and we all know it. But I'll watch anyhow. Expecially curling, curling is so rad.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Winter olympics are less good than summer olympics and we all know it. But I'll watch anyhow. Expecially curling, curling is so rad.

What? But there's hockey! And...and....hockey. Oh yeah some curling too. Don't forget the hockey.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I am in the process of putting together the Cauldron Lighting Repository that seemed to be such a big hit around here when I did it for Beijing. When I did it last time, I unearthed every single cauldron lighting in Olympic history (the practice started in Berlin 1936), as well as some selected lightings from other competitions so as to provide a comparison.

I will post one such lighting now, because the reason I did that was to see if any could possibly top the ones the Olympics had, and wouldn't you know it, one did.

It's the Beijing PARAlympics. Right after we all packed up and left China, they done went and beat the lighting they did for the regular Olympics. Look at this. Holy shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyZmjKNHmpA&feature=fvw

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Decius wrote: »

What? But there's hockey! And...and....hockey. Oh yeah some curling too. Don't forget the hockey.

I'd rather just watch my Red Wings. So, um, go Team Sweden?

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well, I've got what I've got for now. I will update this post as I get the rest and link it in the OP.

THE CAULDRON LIGHTING REPOSITORY

SUMMER OLYMPIAD

Amsterdam 1928- absent (they had a lighting for Amsterdam and LA, but back then it was just some guy in the back turning the flame on; the relay was introduced in Berlin)
    Los Angeles 1932 Berlin 1936 (sorry for the text, but the one I originally had got taken down for a terms-of-service violation) London 1948 Helsinki 1952 Melbourne 1956 Rome 1960 Tokyo 1964 Mexico City 1968 Munich 1972 Montreal 1976 Moscow 1980 Los Angeles 1984 Seoul 1988 Barcelona 1992 Atlanta 1996 Sydney 2000 Athens 2004 Beijing 2008
    WINTER OLYMPIAD

Oslo 1952 Cortina d'Ampezzo 1956 http://en.beijing2008.cn/video/historyv/cortinadampezzo1956/
    Squaw Valley 1960 Innsbruck 1964 Grenoble 1968 Sapporo 1972 http://en.beijing2008.cn/video/historyv/sapporo1972/
    Innsbruck 1976 Lake Placid 1980 http://en.beijing2008.cn/video/historyv/lakeplacid1980/
    Sarajevo 1984 Calgary 1988 Albertville 1992 Lillehammer 1994 Nagano 1998 Salt Lake City 2002 Torino 2006
    OTHER TORCH LIGHTINGS

Pan-American Games- Santo Domingo 2003 Asian Games- Doha 2006 Southeast Asian Games- Nakhon Ratchaisma 2007 Pan-American Games- Rio 2007 Paralympics- Beijing 2008, and this one actually topped the regular Olympics

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Holy - that Nazi one is fascinating. You can just see the other teams being scared stiff by this massive cult. D:

A LOT of countries did the Heil Hitler thing too, wow.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Not to sound like an uneducated douche though that might be hard to avoid with this... but how the hell do countries without any real winter season compete in any of these events?
    Are Bahamians ice skating in rinks, or are they just citizens living in other parts of the world?

Man haven't you ever seen Cool Runnings?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaov7DNICPg

Rent on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Curling is actually awesome to watch live... I went to Torino with a friend, and we saw a Men's hockey game (Team Canada vs. Czech Republic), and a woman's curling match (Canada vs. Sweden, I think).

The best part of the curling was that it was not well attended, but a bunch of local Italian schoolchildren showed up. My buddy and I were one of the only ones there cheering for Team Canada, and we were still decked out in Team Canada Hockey jerseys, so we got the school children to join in "Let's go, Canada!" They didn't speak a word of English, it seemed, but they were happy to cheer along.

When the Canadian Women's curling team came out, they looked up and saw us leading the cheer, and actually came over and talked to us for a bit. First thing they said: "Is this YOUR doing?", to which we smiled and boasted for a bit. Really cool experience.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Less than two weeks away. I kinda enjoy the Olympics, but usually scheduling ends up being too annoying. Anyone know if there's going to be more Hulu-like access?

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    saint2e wrote: »
    When the Canadian Women's curling team came out, they looked up and saw us leading the cheer, and actually came over and talked to us for a bit. First thing they said: "WHOAAAAA. HAAAAARD.", to which we smiled and boasted for a bit. Really cool experience.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Im gonna be up there for these games... 5 days i think. Should be fun. I dont know how close ill get to the action though.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My sister managed to get into the opening ceremonies as well as several events. Man... her work perks are kicking the shit out of mine right now.

I'm hoping NBC lays it on thick with On Demand for this thing.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    PhistiPhisti Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm glad most of the outdoor events are far away from Vancouver. The 14 day forecast is not looking good leading up to the games:

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/fourteenday/cabc0308?ref=qlink_st_14day

Averaging 8 degrees and raining, ugh.

Phisti on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Is this where we rage about the billions of dollars that have been robbed from vital social services to bankroll this international celebration of largess?

Robman on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Robman, nah that's another thread.

This is the one where you close your eyes to that, think of all the foreign tourist moneys coming in and get over it for a brief moment of optimism.

you can complain about that other stuff later.

Also, that paralympics lighting in beijing? AWESOME. Would NOT want to mess with whoever that guy was though. One punch and he'll break your jaw. Wow.

Gosling, you are a machine of videos. Will watch them later.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Gosling, the Berlin one doesn't work.

I remember being a kid and seeing the Barcelona one in 92 while at my grandparent's cottage. Their cottage was on this tiny island and we barely got reception on this tiny black and white TV with rabbit ears.

Even with all that, that lighting ceremony (the archer) is still one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Asiina on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Berlin has a new video (with a lot of text over it, but it's there). Oslo, Grenoble and Sapporo have been located as well.

Gosling on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    uh you guys noticed that there were cables doing the heavy lifting for the guy going up the rope in the wheelchair right

Doc on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Phisti wrote: »
    I'm glad most of the outdoor events are far away from Vancouver. The 14 day forecast is not looking good leading up to the games:

Thus why they are trucking snow in to Cypress Mtn.

But yeah, there has been almost no winter in Vancouver this year, after the unusually heavy snow winter we had last year. I keep end up being over dressed for things because my brain is going "it's January, put on some layers" when it is spring like out here.

Also, as a local, I really think VANOC has been mismanaging their PR for this whole thing. It's been a relentless barrage of "you can't drive here, transit waits will be horrible," etc that seems almost like it's designed to make locals go "fuck it, I'll just stay away"

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    PantsB wrote: »
    Less than two weeks away. I kinda enjoy the Olympics, but usually scheduling ends up being too annoying. Anyone know if there's going to be more Hulu-like access?

On this note, CTV is the Canadian broadcaster, and I believe just about everything is going to be streamed for free. However I don't know if it will work for folks outside of Canada.

Corvus on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    Corvus wrote: »

But yeah, there has been almost no winter in Vancouver this year, after the unusually heavy snow winter we had last year. I keep end up being over dressed for things because my brain is going "it's January, put on some layers" when it is spring like out here.

Also, as a local, I really think VANOC has been mismanaging their PR for this whole thing. It's been a relentless barrage of "you can't drive here, transit waits will be horrible," etc that seems almost like it's designed to make locals go "fuck it, I'll just stay away"

It primarily caused me to stockpile booze

because you just know the liquor stores are going to be ridiculous.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Doc wrote: »
    Corvus wrote: »

It primarily caused me to stockpile booze

because you just know the liquor stores are going to be ridiculous.

How to get shit-faced while watching the Olympics in Canada: Have a drink every time Brian Williams mentions the time.

Corvus on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Doc wrote: »
    uh you guys noticed that there were cables doing the heavy lifting for the guy going up the rope in the wheelchair right

You wanna get in that chair and try it?

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Respository is complete; I'm not gonna find the Amsterdam lighting and it's not like that one was some world-shaking thing anyway. Probably should have thought to try the official Olympic sites earlier, huh?

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The torch is now in the Vancouver area.

For anyone in town, here is a guide to all the free stuff.

Corvus on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So a charismatic Austrian leader is going to be running with the torch at one point.

We truly have come full circle here people.

Robman on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »
    What is skeleton? Judging by the logo, it looks like a face-first version of luge. They should just get rid of the sleds altogether and have people go through bodies-only, like a waterslide. Face first, butt first, whatever.

I hope NBC has found some Winter equivalent of 2008's Bela Karolyi.

skeleton.jpg

Apparently it's a sort of suicidal zentai.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well, I got up ridiculously early to watch the Torch relay come through my suburb of Vancouver this morning. It was pretty cool. Sadly, all my pics are blurry as hell as it was both dark and raining.

Corvus on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Lindsay Vonn, another casualty of the SI curse.

jeepguy wrote: »

What always surprised me about the Winter Olympics was how much less popular they were than the Summer Games in the US, considering how much more dangerous the winter version is. You have people shooting guns, hurling themselves down mountains and off of massive ramps, running around an ice rink standing on razor blades, etc. Multiple bobsledders have died during competition, and the solution has been "Hey, let's get rid of the bobsled and have people rocket through this ice maze with no protection at all."

You'd think the sense of danger would appeal more to a country that loves concussion-inducing NFL hits and spends half of every NASCAR event waiting to see someone crash.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I saw the torch at our Community celebration. It was pretty damn neat.

The last runner and the one who lit our cauldron was Abby Lloydd, the youngest person to run the torch in the whole relay. She is a member of our local Judo club and an awsome kid.

DSC00029.jpg

It was a fun night and the fireworks off of the roof of the Rec Complex were neat too.

Mom2Kat on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Lindsay Vonn, another casualty of the SI curse.

jeepguy wrote: »

What always surprised me about the Winter Olympics was how much less popular they were than the Summer Games in the US, considering how much more dangerous the winter version is. You have people shooting guns, hurling themselves down mountains and off of massive ramps, running around an ice rink standing on razor blades, etc. Multiple bobsledders have died during competition, and the solution has been "Hey, let's get rid of the bobsled and have people rocket through this ice maze with no protection at all."

You'd think the sense of danger would appeal more to a country that loves concussion-inducing NFL hits and spends half of every NASCAR event waiting to see someone crash.

Highlighting for tragically ironic purposes; a luger from Georgia, Nodar Kumaritashvili, has died in a training run after flipping off his sled during the final turn and colliding with a metal pole with no padding. Training has been suspended indefinitely.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Why is there an unpadded metal pole anywhere near a track people are flying down at 90 mph? That's just crazy.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Just heard about the Georgian luger. So tragic :( And yea, the hell is there no padding on it for (inserting a pre-emptive: way to go VANOC!)?

This is on top of the apparent talk of wildlife approaching these tracks too while people are doing runs.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    so, i'm excited for tonight.

edit: wait. Luger. Well shit. so much for half the excitement.

Also, wildlife? Like they could be luging and get hit by a moose?

squishy

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

squishy

Or mauled by a lynx.

hippofant on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    hippofant wrote: »

squishy

Or mauled by a lynx.

More sinister, there were videos (on TCR of all places) of bears.

They're out to get us

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The deaths have already begun

http://deadspin.com/5470753/tracks-safety-was-already-in-question-before-fatal-crash

And a disturbing milisecond before death photo

http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotostrecke-51771-4.html

Really though, what jerk decided to leave steel girders out like that?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Aegis wrote: »

squishy

Or mauled by a lynx.

They're out to get us

A moose would be worse than either. If you hit a car with a moose, the moose is generally in better shape than the car. Multiple times every winter someone in Maine hits a moose in a car, is killed and the moose walks away. Doing so without a car would be worse. A lynx would turn to paste, a bear is more likely to get out of the way.

Sucks for the Georgian. A pole of any kind seems like a bad idea, I'm not sure padding would have made a difference

edit
    For perspective
    On average, an adult moose stands 1.8–2.1 m (6–7 ft) high at the shoulder.[10] Males weigh 380–720 kg (850–1580 pounds) and females weigh 270–360 kg (600–800 pounds).[11] The largest of all is the Alaskan subspecies (A. a. gigas), which can stand over 2.1 m (7 ft) at the shoulder, has a span across the antlers of 1.8 m (6 ft) and averages 634.5 kg (1,396 lbs) in males and 478 kg (1,052 lbs) in females.[12] Typically, however, the antlers of a mature specimen are between 1.2 m (3.9 ft) and 1.5 m (4.9 ft). The largest confirmed size for this species was a bull shot at the Yukon River in September 1897 weighing 820 kg (1,800 lb) and was 233 cm (92 in) tall at the shoulder.[13]

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Aegis wrote: »

squishy

Or mauled by a lynx.

They're out to get us

is it bad that I am trying to not giggle at that thought?

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Wow, I thought there was just one pole and it was a freak accident, and even that was irresponsible. That course is a deathtrap.

BubbaT on
This discussion has been closed.