Options

Games of the 21st Winter Olympiad: Day 4

• Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I like the armchair luge track engineers in this thread.

Asiina on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Asiina wrote: »
    I like the armchair luge track engineers in this thread.
    When you've got one dead guy and another who was knocked unconscious in the first day (two?) of practice, I don't think criticisms like "don't have fucking poles in the way" is out of bounds.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It's a dangerous sport. You're going upwards of 155kph. That's insane. Cars aren't allowed to drive that fast.

It's the result of a sport requiring faster and faster times to compete and everyone struggling to build a better, faster track.

There were people who hurt themselves in the trial runs by falling off their sleds, hurting ankles, etc. Also I'm reading quotes from athletes talking about how they were even worried about their safety in Torino because up until then that was the fastest track. This is a tragedy for sure, but it's a problem with the sport, not the fact that there were some poles.

Asiina on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah dude was going 145 KPH! No little piece of foam is going to save his ass there. Hell people die in their cars doing that speed, when surrounded by crash zones, roll cages, and air bags.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    i think the point that people who have an issue with the exposed poles is that they provided a flat perpendicular surface for someone to hit. You put up plexiboards or a solid wall kinda like water slides, you dont have a surface for someone who comes off to hit, the just bounce off and slide some more until they stop which arguably would still hurt like hell but is more survivable than having a bunch of surfaces that happen to be perpendicular to your direction of movement exposed should you come off the track

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Run Run RunRun Run Run __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Make the tracks fully closed tubes instead of half tubes.

You couldn't fly out that way, ya know.

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

At a hundred and forty five KPH, you're likely dead regardless.

At least that dude died instantly. Headfirst into a steel pillar. There are far worse ways to go.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hm, when I die I wanna go slowly and fully aware of it.

That way I can still ask for redemption from all the Gods, just to make sure.

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Wouldn't be much of a spectator sport then.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hm, when I die I wanna go slowly and fully aware of it.

That way I can still ask for redemption from all the Gods, just to make sure.

Fuck that, I want to be hit square in the noggin by a space toilet seat. Hopefully my last words are memorably vulgar.

Robman on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Robman wrote: »

At least that dude died instantly. Headfirst into a steel pillar. There are far worse ways to go.

People survive falls all the time...you know...when they don't hit a steel pillar.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    jeepguy wrote: »

Well, make them see through then. Transparent aluminium, or something.

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Cabezone wrote: »

People survive falls all the time...you know...when they don't hit a steel pillar.

I can't comment on the survivability of a fall in what amounts to a slick concrete tube at 140+ km/h, but I can't imagine it's as rosy as you're estimating.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I suppose we do want the athletes to make the voyage home, so anything to help them would be good.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    :^:

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I can't comment on the survivability of a fall in what amounts to a slick concrete tube at 140+ km/h, but I can't imagine it's as rosy as you're estimating.

I don't see how it could be worse than slamming into a steel girder at the same speed, though. Inside the tube it would likely depend on what angle the athlete was hitting the walls at, kind of similar to a fall off a motorcycle. Against a girder angles are pretty much meaningless, it's either hit or miss.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It really is a shame about what happened today :(

I missed it when the Olympic torch went through my city. It passed through pretty early and I wasn't up yet. Although my city is where the torch bearer was actually attacked and the torch knocked onto the ground, almost going out.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

It's not estimating, every games people fall off the skeleton and luge sled and slide down the tracks. I think this year two people had already done so. It's not pleasant, apparently it feels like you're on fire, but people usually survive.

Found this:
    We undertook this study to determine the types and frequency of injuries sustained in the sport of luge. Before this study, no data were available in the medical literature on luge injuries. We performed a retrospec tive analysis between the years 1985 and 1992 using data obtained from the athlete injury and illness report forms at the US Training Center Sports Medicine Clinic in Lake Placid, New York. During the 7 years exam ined, 1043 athletes took 57, 244 track runs and sus tained 407 injuries. The risk of sustaining an injury was 0.39 per person per year, and the risk of an injury causing the loss of more than 1 day of practice was 0.04 per person per year. Contusions were the major injury (51%), followed by strains (27%). Strains of the neck muscles and contusions of extremities, especially the hands, were characteristic injuries sustained by athletes. The most serious injuries were concussions (2%) and fractures (3%). Crashes were responsible for 64% of injuries. Luge appears to be a relatively safe sport with injury rates comparable with recreational alpine skiing.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It looks like they just need to modify the track at that one turn though, which shouldn't be too hard.

Robman on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

We can call it downhill Habitrail.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    Wow, looking at pictures of the course, any sane person would look at the posts and think it's incredibly dangerous.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Doc wrote: »
    Wow, looking at pictures of the course, any sane person would look at the posts and think it's incredibly dangerous.

No sane person would get on this
    2129616420011817778vEgNuE_ph.jpg

Wearing a paper-thin spandex suit and a small helmet, knowing they'll soon be zipping down a solid ice track at speeds in excess of 140 KM/H. That's about the speed most airplanes take off at.

EDIT hid pic in spoiler tag, didn't realize it was hueg

Robman on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Wearing a paper-thin spandex suit and a small helmet, knowing they'll soon be zipping down a solid ice track at speeds in excess of 140 KM/H. That's about the speed most airplanes take off at.

Which doesn't address his point at all.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

From the research in Cabezone's post:

"The risk of sustaining an injury was 0.39 per person per year, and the risk of an injury causing the loss of more than 1 day of practice was 0.04 per person per year."

Doc on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It looks like they just need to modify the track at that one turn though, which shouldn't be too hard.

I can see them changing it now, but it's still questionable as to why it was like that in the first place. Well, actually it's not, the track's designed to be super-fast because the public gets more interested when world records are being set, and more viewers = more money. It's the same reason the swimming pool in Beijing was designed the way it was, so that Phelps & Co could set a bunch of records - except the Chinese pool didn't make swimmers more likely to drown. Maybe they should have had sharks chase after the swimmers or something, it might have shaved off another 0.2 seconds.

And even with a course layout change the girders should still be covered up. No sane person would line a basketball court with steel girders, and that's just people moving at foot speed.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I was under the impression that downhill winter sports aren't really conducive to world records because every track is unique. Track records, sure, but not world records.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    a record is a record is a record, gos.

Right?

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    wtf

CTV just showed the accident, then a replay in slow motion

what the hell is wrong with people

Doc on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    wtf

CTV just showed the accident, then a replay in slow motion

what the hell is wrong with people

People used to gather round for public executions. Street vendors hocked their goods like ball-park hotdog and beer salesmen. Slow motion accidents are actually a step up, really.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »

I can see them changing it now, but it's still questionable as to why it was like that in the first place. Well, actually it's not, the track's designed to be super-fast because the public gets more interested when world records are being set, and more viewers = more money. It's the same reason the swimming pool in Beijing was designed the way it was, so that Phelps & Co could set a bunch of records - except the Chinese pool didn't make swimmers more likely to drown. Maybe they should have had sharks chase after the swimmers or something, it might have shaved off another 0.2 seconds.

And even with a course layout change the girders should still be covered up. No sane person would line a basketball court with steel girders, and that's just people moving at foot speed.

This course was designed by the same person whose designed the last four olympic tracks. I would assume this person knows what they're doing more than random dudes on the internet. I'm listening to an official on the news right now who is saying that never before has someone been thrown out of one of these tracks.

Asiina on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I kind of wonder what the hell kind of parent pushes their kid into Luge.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I got ambushed by it on the local news.

Needless to say... gasped. Oh my God. The only thing that helmet did was prevent splatter.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    CBS News still has a video up of it too online. With sound and everything.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah I have zero interest in watching faces of death Olympic edition.

And the Boston NBC affiliation is now showing how movies and tv film in Vancouver. Is this news? And I think they're showing an interview from Smallville like 4 years ago.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Asiina wrote: »
    BubbaT wrote: »

This course was designed by the same person whose designed the last four olympic tracks. I would assume this person knows what they're doing more than random dudes on the internet. I'm listening to an official on the news right now who is saying that never before has someone been thrown out of one of these tracks.

The track is definitely faster than the average track
    The crashes came in the wake of Austrian Manuel Pfister clocking the fastest speed ever recorded. On Thursday, he hit 154 km/h which topped 153.98 km/h, set at the same course last year.
    http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/2010wintergames/Luge+events+suspended+Whistler/2557453/story.html

And even the designer himself admits problems with the design
    The German mastermind of the Vancouver Olympics luge track, where Georgia's Nodar Kumaritashvili crashed and died on Friday, admitted that safety modifications were needed following the tragedy.

"I am just so sorry for the lad. This is terrible and shocking news. We have developed six Olympic tracks and nobody ever came off the course," Udo Gurgel told the online edition of German sports daily Sport Bild.

But Gurgel said that the horrific death of the 21-year-old - who shot off the course and slammed into a metal column at more than 145kph - meant changes would clearly have to be contemplated.

"We now have to consider how we can alter the piste. At the exit area we could increase the height of the walls by some 40 to 50 centimetres," he said.
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jEmrC7MGKv50oj6WIaRgTFPKnOfQ

BubbaT on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    PantsB wrote: »
    Yeah I have zero interest in watching faces of death Olympic edition.

And the Boston NBC affiliation is now showing how movies and tv film in Vancouver. Is this news? And I think they're showing an interview from Smallville like 4 years ago.

Probably trying to show off the local culture/business/what the site is famous for or something.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So. Any update on if/where these opening ceremonies can be watched online?

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    GODDAMMIT NBC, DO YOU REALLY NEED TO SHOW THE CLIP?

TWICE?

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Tamin wrote: »
    So. Any update on if/where these opening ceremonies can be watched online?

http://www.nbcolympics.com/ceremonies/index.html ?
    Gosling wrote: »
    GODDAMMIT NBC, DO YOU REALLY NEED TO SHOW THE CLIP?

TWICE?

Knew they would, I changed it once it started. A warning at least?

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've no idea what news stations you people are watching, but CBC mentioned it briefly in their continuing Vancouver coverage, then went onto politics and general Olympic coverage.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
This discussion has been closed.