As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Too Many Good God-damned Games?

MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Games and Technology
I feel like there are too many good games right now.
Yes, I said it. I really wish there was a little more shit in the release pipe, recently.

Recent Titles:
*Dragon Age: Origins
*Borderlands
*Modern Warfare 2
*Brutal Legend
*Torchlight
*Super Mario Wii
*Uncharted 2
*Dead Space: Extraction
Soon:
*Assassin's Creed 2
*Left 4 Dead 2
*The Saboteur
All of this stuff came out in about a 2 month window of time. It is insane.

Not only that, but it persists into next year with Mass Effect 2
Hell, I didn't even mention a couple PC titles that I would normally give a purchase to, like Tropico 3 and Shattered Horizon.

What the hell is with the industry when they stack up the releases like this? There is no way for most people to even begin to afford the titles that they'd want to, much less play them. I am wondering if the industry is getting a bit supply heavy? What happened to the day when Quake and Duke Nukem being released within the same year was considered risky?

Anyone else experiencing this? It makes me wish I could take a week off and clean up my backlog.

steam_sig.png
Machismo on

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I don't think it's the industry's fault. I think we're just addicts.

It's like complaining there are too many good movies, too many good comic books, too much good food at the grocery store. A more moderate person would only consider the top three or four from your list and let the others pass by, but we have to have it all.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Imagine being constantly broke and only able to justify maybe one or two games a year to your wife, and watching the parade of awesome games from the last 2-3 years float by unplayed. :(

citizen059 on
  • Options
    sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I don't think most people buy a large percentage of great games out there. I can't say that any of the games on your list are of poor quality unless I am being a liar or a fool. However I won't be buying most of them simply because of the type of game they are and also of course the money. But even if I had the money to do so I still wouldn't because most are just games that don't interest me regardless of quality.

So yes I agree there are a lot of good games but I can't say there are too many, plus it really isn't much of a problem when there are a lot of good games.

sumwar on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I know I'm feeling it. But I'm happy as can be with my beloved Brutal Legend and it's crazy-as-fuck multiplayer. Also, my grades are important. Perhaps during Winter Break I'll give Borderlands and Dragon Age a spin. They really should market it as a dating sim from all the stuff I'm hearing. o_O I'll be buying Left 4 Dead 2 for my brother, because that's all he plays.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited November 2009

It's like complaining there are too many good movies, too many good comic books, too much good food at the grocery store. A more moderate person would only consider the top three or four from your list and let the others pass by, but we have to have it all.

Are you saying I'm fat?

I was wondering that too. I work a full time job as do much of my friend's list. Generally, we are playing the same games or at least own the same ones. Recently, that isn't the case. Some, however, seem to have narrowed their list of genres they enjoy. For example, one friend only gets rythm, sports, or racing games. He rarely gets action games, for example.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    citizen059 wrote: »
    Imagine being constantly broke and only able to justify maybe one or two games a year to your wife, and watching the parade of awesome games from the last 2-3 years float by unplayed. :(

And as I get older, the more I realize I don't mind having missed some of them. I wanted to play Metal Gear Solid 4, but I feel pretty good about not bothering now that we're so far past it. I'll probably do the same for Final Fantasy 13 unless it comes out on a platform I own (the main game, not the 35 spinoffs they have planned).

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    EdS25EdS25 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You forgot Demon's Souls and Ratchet and Clank. I think I say this every year but "This has been the greatest year for gaming ever."

EdS25 on
    Currently Playing : FE:Awakening, AC:NL
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Eh, there's always a glut of good/big name games around the holidays - just like Oscar season. If you're swamped for time, it's probably best to stagger your purchases - get the time-sensitive ones first (things you want to play multiplayer, for example) and then trickle the rest in over the next few months. By then there might even be a price drop.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

And as I get older, the more I realize I don't mind having missed some of them. I wanted to play Metal Gear Solid 4, but I feel pretty good about not bothering now that we're so far past it. I'll probably do the same for Final Fantasy 13 unless it comes out on a platform I own (the main game, not the 35 spinoffs they have planned).

I experienced the same disinterest for MGS4 and all FF games.

I need ot bite the bullet here and just let some of these games go. And Torchlight looks so good! Although, screw MW2. Looks pretty damned annoying from what I've heard from friends at work.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Cantido wrote: »
    I know I'm feeling it. But I'm happy as can be with my beloved Brutal Legend and it's crazy-as-fuck multiplayer. Also, my grades are important. Perhaps during Winter Break I'll give Borderlands and Dragon Age a spin. They really should market it as a dating sim from all the stuff I'm hearing. o_O I'll be buying Left 4 Dead 2 for my brother, because that's all he plays.

DA:O is worth it. I never really played a game where I so effortlessly allowed the narrative to unfold like it did. I cared about the characters (like in a really, really good book). I don't want to hurt them. I feel a real empathy to them (or maybe just the story of them, but still). This became painfully obvious when my character was at the center of a love triangle that evolved out of a very organic bit of dialogue. Before I knew it, I was at real risk of hurting some of my favorite NPCs.
    BTW, this is all before the sex scenes. ;P

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    And right now, I am fucked up.

I don't think I'll have free time spent not playing something brand spanking new until well after Bayonetta.

Monger on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Beat Borderlands to beat torchlight to beat Dragon age only to dive into MW2 with buddies. Each weekend since about 3 weeks ago have been nothing but 'Ok just marathon this game so I have time for Dragon Age', 'Ok marathon Dragon Age so you can play MW2 with buddies.'

I just wanna play with the unreal UDK damnit. Stop releasing games.

It really is bad for the companies as well, with so much good stuff clogging the pipes a lot of sales will be missed.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Man you think it's bad now?! A lot of publishers have been pushing their big games back to Spring 2010 just to avoid too much competition in the Fall! Now the Fall isn't as packed as the Spring!

OK I compiled the lists for comparison:

Fall 2009 looks like this:
    Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
    New SMB Wii
    Uncharted 2
    Assassin's Creed 2
    Left 4 Dead 2
    Dragon Age Origins
    Brutal Legend
    DJ Hero
    Borderlands
    Demon's Souls
    R&C Crack in Time
    Tekken 6
    RE:DSC
    Zelda Spirit Tracks
    Final Fantasy:CC:TCB
    LBP PSP

also: Band Hero, Lego RB, Rabbids Go Home, Torchlight, Space Inv. Ex 2, Boy & His Blog, WOTS3, Operation Flashpoint, Wii Fit +, GOW collection, Silent Hill SM

And for comparison, here is Spring 2010:
    Spring 2010 generally:

Splinter Cell Conviction
    Red Steel 2
    Mass Effect 2
    Dark Void
    BioShock 2
    God of War 3
    Alan Wake
    Heavy Rain
    APB (maybe)
    No More Heroes 2 Desperate Struggle
    Bayonetta
    Miles Edgeworth Perfect Prosecutor
    Dante's Inferno
    Sin and Punishment 2
    Mafia II
    Capcom v. Tatsunoko
    FFXIII
    Lost Planet 2
    Alpha Protocol
    Cho Aniki Zero
    Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver
    Super Street Fighter IV
    MAG (maybe, according to Sony financial)
    Brink (Splash Damage / Bethesda game)
    Infinite Space (for NDS)
    Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
    Guitar Hero Van Halen
    Serious Sam First Encounter HD (360)
    Serious Sam Second Encounter HD
    Puzzle Chronicles
    Sony Motion wand

So you can see that while Fall 09 looks pretty packed, publishers have made it even worse for themselves by shoving all their big stuff into Spring 2010.

And if you think this year is worst than last, check out what happened in Fall 2007 and 2008:

Fall 2008 looked like this:
    Gears of War 2
    Resistance 2
    COD World at War
    Left 4 Dead
    LIttle Big Planet
    Guitar Hero WT
    Fallout 3
    Far Cry 2
    Fable 2
    Dead Space
    Rock Band 2
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Mirror's Edge
    Command And Conquer 3 RA
    Wrath of the Lich King
    EndWar
    Quantum of Solace
    Wii Music
    Prince of Persia 08
    Mortal Kombat v DC
    GTA IV released on PC
    Tomb Raider Underworld
    Tales of Symphonia
    Banjo Kazooie NB
    Animal Crossing
    Persona 4
    Chrono Trigger DS
    Castlevania Order of Ecclesia

There was also:
    Skate It
    Shaun White's Snowboarding
    Need for Speed UC
    Lips

Fall 2007 looked like this:
    Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare
    Halo 3
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Rock Band
    Guitar Hero 3
    Assassin's Creed
    Crysis
    Bioshock
    Mass Effect
    Uncharted : Drakes Fortune
    Ratchet and Clank : Tools of Destruction
    Project Gotham Racing 4
    Unreal Tournament 3
    Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation
    Virtua Fighter 5
    Portal
    Team Fortress 2
    Half Life 2: Episode 2
    Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
    Zack and Wiki
    Contra 4
    The Witcher
    Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
    Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles
    Enemy Territory: Quake Wars

Yeah. Fall 2009 really isn't that packed compared to previous years, and it could have been much worse had the publishers all not decided to shove their games into spring 2010.

slash000 on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

In regards to Final Fantasy 13, do you only own a Wii? Or maybe just a PC? Cause it'll be for the PS3 and 360. I ain't all that hyped for it myself since Square seems to be doing everything in their power to make it look uninteresting to me, but that is a topic for another thread.

Speaking of threads, this thread title is as absurd as saying, "My wife is too sexy!" or "This cake is too delicious!". Though I suppose being a bachelor with a respectable salary my skew my thinking. :P

Actually in truth I agree. I can usually get whatever game comes out, but Fall has seen such a deluge of awesome that I have to pick and choose otherwise I run the risk of never finishing any of these games. However this is a problem that comes up every Fall so I am not surprised.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    metfanscmetfansc Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I am just swamped with good games to play, my top list right now is:

DA:O
    Borderlands
    Demon Souls
    Torchlight

The games I want to play but haven't had a chance yet:
    Brutal Legends
    Ratchet & Clank
    Assassin's Creed 2
    L4D2

I guess I should be glad that I am stuck being unable to play Demon Souls because my PS3 HD froze up as I am currently donating all of my free time to DA:O

However, as for the industry, this is always the way of the holidays. The real problem is the months and months we will have next year without a good game to play :) Can't really say I blame the industry, sales at this time of year are MUCH higher than earlier in the year, and to miss that one opportunity to maximize your sales is rough.

metfansc on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I've found the same thing has happened to me as well. I no longer feel that I have to get every game that looks promising the instant it comes out. Not only do you end up getting games for much cheaper if you wait, but a lot of the time, those games that I originally thought were must-haves end up falling to the wayside as I realize that I didn't really want them as much as I initially thought.

Like just last week, I picked up Tales of Vesperia for under $30 and started playing it and I'm really enjoying it (a lot more than Symphonia, which I didn't really like). Picking it up a year later didn't make it any worse of a game. If anything, I generally find that I enjoy games more when I pay less for them since I'm less worried about getting my money's worth.

Anyway, this holiday season, my big game is going to be RE: Darkside Chronicles. Aside from that and some cheap download games like Torchlight & Geomancer, I'll probably hold off on any big new purchases unless Black Friday will change my mind.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    metfanscmetfansc Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    Man you think it's bad now?! A lot of publishers have been pushing their big games back to Spring 2010 just to avoid too much competition in the Fall! Now the Fall isn't as packed as the Spring!

New SMB Wii
    Uncharted 2
    Assassin's Creed 2
    Left 4 Dead 2
    Dragon Age Origins
    Brutal Legend
    DJ Hero
    Borderlands
    Demon's Souls
    R&C Crack in Time
    Tekken 6
    Zelda Spirit Tracks
    LBP PSP

also: Band Hero, Lego RB, Rabbids Go Home, Torchlight, Space Inv. Ex 2, Boy & His Blog, WOTS3, Operation Flashpoint, Wii Fit +, GOW collection, Silent Hill SM

Spring 2010 generally:

Splinter Cell Conviction
    Red Steel 2
    Mass Effect 2
    Dark Void
    BioShock 2
    God of War 3
    Alan Wake
    Heavy Rain
    APB (maybe)
    Bayonetta
    Dante's Inferno
    Sin and Punishment 2
    Mafia II
    Capcom v. Tatsunoko
    FFXIII
    Lost Planet 2
    Alpha Protocol
    Cho Aniki Zero
    Super Street Fighter IV
    Infinite Space (for NDS)
    Sony Motion wand

So you can see that while Fall 09 looks pretty packed, publishers have made it even worse for themselves by shoving all their big stuff into Spring 2010.

And if you think this year is worst than last, check out what happened in Fall 2007 and 2008:

Gears of War 2
    Resistance 2
    COD World at War
    Left 4 Dead
    LIttle Big Planet
    Guitar Hero WT
    Fallout 3
    Far Cry 2
    Fable 2
    Dead Space
    Rock Band 2
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Mirror's Edge
    Command And Conquer 3 RA
    Wrath of the Lich King
    EndWar
    Quantum of Solace
    Wii Music
    Prince of Persia 08
    Mortal Kombat v DC
    GTA IV released on PC
    Tomb Raider Underworld
    Tales of Symphonia
    Banjo Kazooie NB
    Animal Crossing
    Persona 4
    Chrono Trigger DS

There was also:
    Skate It
    Need for Speed UC
    Lips

Halo 3
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Rock Band
    Guitar Hero 3
    Assassin's Creed
    Crysis
    Bioshock
    Mass Effect
    Project Gotham Racing 4
    Unreal Tournament 3
    Virtua Fighter 5
    Portal
    Team Fortress 2
    Zack and Wiki
    Contra 4
    The Witcher

Yeah. Fall 2009 really isn't that packed compared to previous years, and it could have been much worse had the publishers all not decided to shove their games into spring 2010.

Well I guess that all comes down to the games you like. For me this year was mcuh more hectic than last year as the only game from last fall that drained a large % of my time was Fallout 3. I played a couple of the other titles from the list, but in terms of what I really devoted some significant time to only Fallout 3 fits that bill.

This year I have already devoted a large chunk of time to Demon Souls, Borderlands and DA:O and I am not even done with any of those three and have more games waiting that I actually really want to spend some time in. So how "busy" a year is probably has a lot to do with the quality/quantity of the games coming out AND the genre they are in. FPS and pure action games rarely elicit much time or energy from me except for the rare exception. Where a tactical RPG or deep open ended RPG will consume my life for weeks if done right :)

metfansc on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm glad that I wait until they're cheaper. I tend to hold off on purchasing a game, because I always have the question, "do I really need/want it right now? I have all these things to play/do, I can't be spending money on something" Usually I see it in the store and think about it/read reviews before buying any game.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Happens every year at this time.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    this is why backlogs are a blessing, not a curse.

see: you buy games two years out from release, with some exceptions, and you save a crapton of money. i don't expect to play any games that are coming out soon within the next year. assassin's creed 2? i haven't started assassin's creed 1 yet. :P

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have still not finished Brutal Legend (I'm almost at the end...) because Dragon Age owns my soul. Forget about Borderlands or Modern Warfare 2 (I can't shorten that to MW2 - that honor belongs to MechWarrior 2). Next game is going to be Mass Effect. I'm just glad I have a bunch of friends with 360s in the area so everyone can get different single-player titles and pass them around...

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I've found the same thing has happened to me as well. I no longer feel that I have to get every game that looks promising the instant it comes out. Not only do you end up getting games for much cheaper if you wait, but a lot of the time, those games that I originally thought were must-haves end up falling to the wayside as I realize that I didn't really want them as much as I initially thought.

Like just last week, I picked up Tales of Vesperia for under $30 and started playing it and I'm really enjoying it (a lot more than Symphonia, which I didn't really like). Picking it up a year later didn't make it any worse of a game. If anything, I generally find that I enjoy games more when I pay less for them since I'm less worried about getting my money's worth.

Anyway, this holiday season, my big game is going to be RE: Darkside Chronicles. Aside from that and some cheap download games like Torchlight & Geomancer, I'll probably hold off on any big new purchases unless Black Friday will change my mind.

Seriously - I know about 'the thrill of the new', and that the industry derives a huge chunk of revenue selling in the first week of release, but why are people so insistent on buying at release? I realise that it probably happens faster in some regions than others, but waiting even a month or two yields price reductions of 50% or more, and a year anywhere between 60-80%.

I mean, would you buy a car at release under this model? Or even a book? It just feels like money wasted to me. Rather than pining over the 2009 line-up, you could comfortably own the entire 2008 line-up right now!

No - the limiting factor is always time. It was a factor in school, in Uni, in work, and even when I was unemployed. A game will always eventually hit a price-point that you can afford, but the chances grow fewer and fewer to actually invest the time to finish it. I'll bet in a couple of years COD:MW2 will look an attractive prospect - it'll be a no-filler 6 hours and cost slightly more than a movie ticket. And assuming the existing model survives the current turmoil, I think we'll see a move to even shorter, development-intensive experiences. Whether the cost justifies them is another matter...

Bioptic on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Bioptic wrote: »

Seriously - I know about 'the thrill of the new', and that the industry derives a huge chunk of revenue selling in the first week of release, but why are people so insistent on buying at release? I realise that it probably happens faster in some regions than others, but waiting even a month or two yields price reductions of 50% or more, and a year anywhere between 60-80%.

I mean, would you buy a car at release under this model? Or even a book? It just feels like money wasted to me. Rather than pining over the 2009 line-up, you could comfortably own the entire 2008 line-up right now!

No - the limiting factor is always time. It was a factor in school, in Uni, in work, and even when I was unemployed. A game will always eventually hit a price-point that you can afford, but the chances grow fewer and fewer to actually invest the time to finish it. I'll bet in a couple of years COD:MW2 will look an attractive prospect - it'll be a no-filler 6 hours and cost slightly more than a movie ticket. And assuming the existing model survives the current turmoil, I think we'll see a move to even shorter, development-intensive experiences. Whether the cost justifies them is another matter...

I think the one of the main motivators to buy on release for many games is online multiplayer. Most games will have a gigantic online presence for a couple of months which will then die off quickly as people move on. If one of your major motivators for purchasing the game was some interesting multiplayer features, you might be out of luck in finding an enjoyable environment to mess around with that feature if you don't buy at release.

As far as singleplayer games go, I completely agree. There is no difference in playing some great 2008 blockbusters during 2009 season, other than the lessened hit on your wallet.

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I think the one of the main motivators to buy on release for many games is online multiplayer. Most games will have a gigantic online presence for a couple of months which will then die off quickly as people move on. If one of your major motivators for purchasing the game was some interesting multiplayer features, you might be out of luck in finding an enjoyable environment to mess around with that feature if you don't buy at release.

As far as singleplayer games go, I completely agree. There is no difference in playing some great 2008 blockbusters during 2009 season, other than the lessened hit on your wallet.

This seems to have been by design with Modern Warfare 2. They even mention in interviews that if you wait to buy, you will be behind the curve with their level up system. That other people will have better streak rewards. It seems that the design itself is around encouraging as many first day/week purchases as possible.

Consequently, it may mean that buying later on may be less enjoyable. Kinda like with an MMO, when you happen to hit that new character lull, and no one is in the low level areas.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    No kidding. I'm thinking this holiday season, I'll get around to picking up the games I wanted but didn't play from last year. Stuff like Tales of Vesperia, Dead Space, and Fallout 3. A lot cheaper than trying to go for the new stuff and just as fun.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    belaraphonbelaraphon michiganRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    i hear you dude. so many games to play, so little time.

belaraphon on
    belaraphon.png
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

This is true, but it's made worse by the large scale of modern games. A movie buff might complain there are 'too many movies', but it's easier to take in all of then when a trip to the movie theater takes up two to three hours of your day. There aren't enough hours in the day to buy all of the AAA holiday game releases and actually play them during the holiday season without spending your life locked up inside your room. And even if you wanted to, $60 a pop times a dozen games is a lot tougher on the wallet than a $10-15 movie theater excursion times a dozen movies.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    metfansc wrote: »

New SMB Wii
    Uncharted 2
    Assassin's Creed 2
    Left 4 Dead 2
    Dragon Age Origins
    Brutal Legend
    DJ Hero
    Borderlands
    Demon's Souls
    R&C Crack in Time
    Tekken 6
    Zelda Spirit Tracks
    LBP PSP

Spring 2010 generally:

Splinter Cell Conviction
    Red Steel 2
    Mass Effect 2
    Dark Void
    BioShock 2
    God of War 3
    Alan Wake
    Heavy Rain
    APB (maybe)
    Bayonetta
    Dante's Inferno
    Sin and Punishment 2
    Mafia II
    Capcom v. Tatsunoko
    FFXIII
    Lost Planet 2
    Alpha Protocol
    Cho Aniki Zero
    Super Street Fighter IV
    Infinite Space (for NDS)
    Sony Motion wand

Gears of War 2
    Resistance 2
    COD World at War
    Left 4 Dead
    LIttle Big Planet
    Guitar Hero WT
    Fallout 3
    Far Cry 2
    Fable 2
    Dead Space
    Rock Band 2
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Mirror's Edge
    Command And Conquer 3 RA
    Wrath of the Lich King
    EndWar
    Quantum of Solace
    Wii Music
    Prince of Persia 08
    Mortal Kombat v DC
    GTA IV released on PC
    Tomb Raider Underworld
    Tales of Symphonia
    Banjo Kazooie NB
    Animal Crossing
    Persona 4
    Chrono Trigger DS

There was also:
    Skate It
    Need for Speed UC
    Lips

Halo 3
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Rock Band
    Guitar Hero 3
    Assassin's Creed
    Crysis
    Bioshock
    Mass Effect
    Project Gotham Racing 4
    Unreal Tournament 3
    Virtua Fighter 5
    Portal
    Team Fortress 2
    Zack and Wiki
    Contra 4
    The Witcher

Well I guess that all comes down to the games you like. For me this year was mcuh more hectic than last year as the only game from last fall that drained a large % of my time was Fallout 3. I played a couple of the other titles from the list, but in terms of what I really devoted some significant time to only Fallout 3 fits that bill.

This year I have already devoted a large chunk of time to Demon Souls, Borderlands and DA:O and I am not even done with any of those three and have more games waiting that I actually really want to spend some time in. So how "busy" a year is probably has a lot to do with the quality/quantity of the games coming out AND the genre they are in. FPS and pure action games rarely elicit much time or energy from me except for the rare exception. Where a tactical RPG or deep open ended RPG will consume my life for weeks if done right :)
    The thing that, to me, makes this year far more dense than last year (around here, at least) is that the majority of the major releases are must plays for a much larger number of people. Uncharted 2 is a must play for everyone that owns a PS3. Dragon Age is a must play for everyone that's interested in fantasy RPGs. Brutal Legend is a must play for everyone that's interested in metal. Or Schafer. Torchlight is a must play for everyone interested in Diablo. Modern Warfare 2 is a must play for damn near everyone that's interested in shooters. Just about everyone on these forums fits into several of those categories. Plus whatever smaller audience titles appeal to them.

'08 didn't have a large number of games with wide appeal like that. There was Fallout 3, then Gears 2 for 360 owners. Everything else had a more specific target audience, and there wasn't any kind of ravenous overlap. Last year was dense, don't get me wrong, but most everyone seemed to pick out 3-5 of those games and felt pretty comfortable with skipping the rest.

This year is... man, this year.

Monger on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I used to feel this same way, but nowadays, I don't really mind. It's actually okay to pick up late releases. I'll probably pick up Fallout 3 next week for 20 bucks brand new, which is awesome.

Though Dragon Age/Brutal Legends are going to be 35, so I might snag those too.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Monger wrote: »
    The thing that, to me, makes this year far more dense than last year (around here, at least) is that the majority of the major releases are must plays for a much larger number of people. Uncharted 2 is a must play for everyone that owns a PS3. Dragon Age is a must play for everyone that's interested in fantasy RPGs. Brutal Legend is a must play for everyone that's interested in metal. Or Schafer. Torchlight is a must play for everyone interested in Diablo. Modern Warfare 2 is a must play for damn near everyone that's interested in shooters. Just about everyone on these forums fits into several of those categories. Plus whatever smaller audience titles appeal to them.

'08 didn't have a large number of games with wide appeal like that. There was Fallout 3, then Gears 2 for 360 owners. Everything else had a more specific target audience, and there wasn't any kind of ravenous overlap. Last year was dense, don't get me wrong, but most everyone seemed to pick out 3-5 of those games and felt pretty comfortable with skipping the rest.

Well, Torchlight and Borderlands both would be of interest to a Diablo fan.
    Modern Warfare and Borderlands would interest the FPS crowd.
    Multiplayer fans would have a vast number of games to pick from. Ditto for the coop fans.
    RPGs? Torchlight and Dragon Age. In fact, it seems like every game has some form of RPG element to it. Borderlands has it. Even Modern Warfare has it for the multiplayer. AC2 has some with the large world and character development.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009

I can't say that I agree with that.

I want Uncharted 2 but don't have a PS3 so you're right there.
    Torchlight, I want and my PC can handle it. It's only $20 though so not a big deal.

I love RPGs and Dragon Age isn't a must play for me, because I don't own a good PC. I don't want the 360 version because A) I hear it's not as good as the PC version and B) no mods (at the very least, I want the less blood mod). So I'll get the game once I get a better PC, but by the time I do, I daresay it'll be in bargain bins.

MW2 isn't a must play for me. I like shooters, but I don't really care about multiplayer-focused games.

I like Schafer and don't like metal. Not a big fan of RTS. I might pick up Brutal Legend when it hits the bargain bins.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    metfansc wrote: »

New SMB Wii
    Uncharted 2
    Assassin's Creed 2
    Left 4 Dead 2
    Dragon Age Origins
    Brutal Legend
    DJ Hero
    Borderlands
    Demon's Souls
    R&C Crack in Time
    Tekken 6
    Zelda Spirit Tracks
    LBP PSP

Spring 2010 generally:

Splinter Cell Conviction
    Red Steel 2
    Mass Effect 2
    Dark Void
    BioShock 2
    God of War 3
    Alan Wake
    Heavy Rain
    APB (maybe)
    Bayonetta
    Dante's Inferno
    Sin and Punishment 2
    Mafia II
    Capcom v. Tatsunoko
    FFXIII
    Lost Planet 2
    Alpha Protocol
    Cho Aniki Zero
    Super Street Fighter IV
    Infinite Space (for NDS)
    Sony Motion wand

Gears of War 2
    Resistance 2
    COD World at War
    Left 4 Dead
    LIttle Big Planet
    Guitar Hero WT
    Fallout 3
    Far Cry 2
    Fable 2
    Dead Space
    Rock Band 2
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Mirror's Edge
    Command And Conquer 3 RA
    Wrath of the Lich King
    EndWar
    Quantum of Solace
    Wii Music
    Prince of Persia 08
    Mortal Kombat v DC
    GTA IV released on PC
    Tomb Raider Underworld
    Tales of Symphonia
    Banjo Kazooie NB
    Animal Crossing
    Persona 4
    Chrono Trigger DS

There was also:
    Skate It
    Need for Speed UC
    Lips

Halo 3
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Rock Band
    Guitar Hero 3
    Assassin's Creed
    Crysis
    Bioshock
    Mass Effect
    Project Gotham Racing 4
    Unreal Tournament 3
    Virtua Fighter 5
    Portal
    Team Fortress 2
    Zack and Wiki
    Contra 4
    The Witcher

I wouldn't really call Brutal Legend a game for "anyone" who's a metal or Schafer fan. If anything, it's a game for RTS fans.

I still claim that Fall 07 was the worst. Rock Band, Halo 3, COD4, and Super Mario Galaxy all in the month of November. Talk about wallet rape for everybody.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Machismo wrote: »

Well, Torchlight and Borderlands both would be of interest to a Diablo fan.
    Modern Warfare and Borderlands would interest the FPS crowd.
    Multiplayer fans would have a vast number of games to pick from. Ditto for the coop fans.
    RPGs? Torchlight and Dragon Age. In fact, it seems like every game has some form of RPG element to it. Borderlands has it. Even Modern Warfare has it for the multiplayer. AC2 has some with the large world and character development.
    That's exactly my point. There's a lot of overlap there, on a scale that the market didn't really have last year. It's like '07++.
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    I wouldn't really call Brutal Legend a game for "anyone" who's a metal or Schafer fan. If anything, it's a game for RTS fans.
    It's metal to like RTS.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I like Schafer and don't like metal. Not a big fan of RTS. I might pick up Brutal Legend when it hits the bargain bins.

I gotta disagree. I like Metal and I like Shaffer. I have enjoyed some RTS games, but more because of the story and despite the RTS. That said, I really enjoyed C&C back in the day. And I do enjoy the Europa Universalis games, which are grand strategy RTS games.

Brutal Legend is a great game. The music is amazing and the world just blows me away. I feel bad for it. I think more people would have bought it (same with Dead Space: Extraction) had there not been so many great games coming out. Between the big-bucks titles and the indie games, this has been a very crowded year for games.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fall is always like this. So many games, so little time. But really, that lets you sit back and pick the real gems out.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    MegaPureiboiMegaPureiboi Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What no love for Forza 3?
    I'm planning on waiting for MW2 till after the holidays, the multiplayer is going to die on there until the next 2 or 3 COD games come out.

MegaPureiboi on
    Xbox Live: Keml0
    Steam: Kemlo
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    We get a quick break in December but the awesome list of releases carries on for the first 3 months of next year too.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Happens every year at this time.

slash000 on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm gonna disagree with the "every year" thing because this year we have big-name games extending past the holidays. Normally November is when the last big game of the year hits and then there's maybe a straggler that comes out on January but usually nothing to get excited about it. Or it's where the "always delayed" games end up getting pushed into (and then usually may or april anyway).

This year is the year of the #2, though. And I'd argue that it's pretty well established that, in the video game world, the second game is often the better of the two games, because typically the developer sees what went wrong with the first game and embellishes and improves the game.

For example, I almost always adopt a "wait and see" approach to games, not really worrying about them until after they come out and I see how they fare. This year, it's easy to see that these are actually GOOD games.

We do always have big games hit in the fall, but this year it seems like all the sleeper games are also great (Demonses's Souls's). And to compound that, the big games aren't just the multi-platform titles, as the PS3 has a ton of games unique to the platform that wasn't the case in previous years. There's something for everyone regardless of which platform you play on, which hasn't been the case. Now if you own multiple platforms you end up with a TON of games.

In addition, looking back at the list of holiday games, this is the first year where there aren't just a ton of FPSs. Much more of a range in '09.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It's good that I learned to stop wanting to buy on Day 1, because for a variety of reasons (involving personal stupidity/carelessness and other people's financial problems) I don't own a console at the moment and don't do PC gaming, largely because A) I hate being tethered to the PC any more, and B) it can't run any recent games for shit anyway. I would like to have a console, particularly a PS3 as more of its exclusives are appealing to me, and a Wii for that new Metroid game, but it's not the end of the world if I don't have one.

True, there's always the titles I just don't care about anyways (racing games, military shooters, Tom Clancy games, Metal Gear, multiplayer-centric titles), but there are a lot of big titles from the last couple of years that I thought might be fun or interesting that I just haven't played, like Mass Effect, Tales Of Vesperia, Assassin's Creed, Rock Band (1, 2, or Beatles), coming up to the present day and stuff like Dragon Age... shit, there are games going back to 2006 that I was interested in but never played (Twilight Princess, Marvel Ultimate Alliance). More and more I just don't mind missing out on them. I've never played a Kingdom Hearts game but I don't feel like I missed out on anything, and I don't really care if I don't get to play Final Fantasy XIII either. (I also don't care if I don't get to play Fable 2, Fallout 3, or Oblivion. Just so you know my indifference isn't limited to JRPGs. :P )

I guess that's one advantage of liking single-player games more than multiplayer--I still enjoy multiplayer from time to time, but there's no real need to get a single player game on Day 1. A year from now, it'll still be the same game (aside from whatever patches or DLC comes out for it) and it'll probably be $30 to $40 cheaper.

Norfair on