As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Removing OSX from a mac

LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
So it's possible that somebody's going to give me a Macbook soon, and I wanted to know if it's possible to simply format and install Windows 7 on it, without wasting space on OSX. I know about Boot Camp, but as far as I've been able to find out it only lets you dual boot, I'm not sure about wiping the original OS.
Anyone able to help me out here?

LaCabra on

• PaleCommanderPaleCommander Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've been told this can be done, but firmware updates can only happen through OS X, so it's more advisable to have a very tiny partition of it.

PaleCommander on
    steam_sig.png
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    How small can you get it and how essential are firmware updates?

LaCabra on
  • PaleCommanderPaleCommander Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It looks like if you try you can get it down to 1.5GB, which isn't bad for an operating system, but certainly isn't trivial. I'm unsure how necessary the firmware updates are, in the general sense.

PaleCommander on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2009
    What do you need firmware for anyway? Are we talking BIOS updates?

LaCabra on
  • AnarchyAnarchy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you don't want OSX on it at all then why get the Macbook? Surely an equivalent spec'ed laptop would be cheaper?

Anarchy on
    "Oh, well, this would be one of those circumstances that people unfamiliar with the law of large numbers would call a coincidence."
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    because read his post?

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    why in the world would you get rid of a superior operating system and replace it with windows seven.

I mean, yeah, gaming olol, but you're way better off having an actual OSX partition and using it rather than going with the "hey i'm gonna use an operating system that isn't capable of utilizing 50% of the hardware properly" approach

Senshi on
    edited November 2009
    Senshi wrote: »
    why in the world would you get rid of a superior operating system and replace it with windows seven.

I mean, yeah, gaming olol, but you're way better off having an actual OSX partition and using it rather than going with the "hey i'm gonna use an operating system that isn't capable of utilizing 50% of the hardware properly" approach

Or you could stop trying to derail the fucking thread.

LaCabra on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah I would just make a very small snow leopard partition and a big ass windows partition

OR

MacBooks have really good resale value so.... >.> that's an option.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2009
    LaCabra wrote: »

Macs don't have a BIOS. Which is why it's non-trivial to install Windows without Bootcamp.

Echo on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    LaCabra wrote: »

Macs don't have a BIOS. Which is why it's non-trivial to install Windows without Bootcamp.
    You shouldn't have to do anything special unless I'm missing something. Windows 7 has support for EFI.

In fact my white early-'08 Macbook is booting the Windows 7 Professional x64 install DVD right now. I'm really tempted to now just run Windows on this puppy. Hmmmm...

iTunesIsEvil on