As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Taking the ACT post-highschool

JasconiusJasconius sword criminalmad onlineRegistered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Preface: I'm 4 years out of high school and I've graduated from what is basically a career ed school and have a pretty nice career going and it takes care of me just fine.

I've never taken the ACT or SAT ever. Due to a variety of circumstances and a general lack of direction I didn't feel that I would be able to attend a university outside of my immediate area so I decided to skip these tests.

When I was in 10th grade I took an ACT pre-test and scored very high, and was the highest in my class. So I think by now I could knock it out of the park.

My motive for taking this test is to possibly garner a quality scholarship to a university to expand on my current career (e.g., attending an actual computer science program), but I could only really do so if I got a good scholarship.

So, I guess the biggest question is, does a high ACT score and a good admissions interview generally warrant scholarships, factoring in that I am 22, not 18, and my high school grades are basically average (like 2.9 GPA because I didn't care).

TIA

Jasconius on

• Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Preface: I'm 4 years out of high school and I've graduated from what is basically a career ed school and have a pretty nice career going and it takes care of me just fine.

I've never taken the ACT or SAT ever. Due to a variety of circumstances and a general lack of direction I didn't feel that I would be able to attend a university outside of my immediate area so I decided to skip these tests.

When I was in 10th grade I took an ACT pre-test and scored very high, and was the highest in my class. So I think by now I could knock it out of the park.

My motive for taking this test is to possibly garner a quality scholarship to a university to expand on my current career (e.g., attending an actual computer science program), but I could only really do so if I got a good scholarship.

So, I guess the biggest question is, does a high ACT score and a good admissions interview generally warrant scholarships, factoring in that I am 22, not 18, and my high school grades are basically average (like 2.9 GPA because I didn't care).

TIA

Depends on the school but likely not.

The vase majority of aid out there is need based. Academic scholarships are generally either small or extremely competitive (think 4.5, 1600 - yes I am showing my age and coastal bias :P )

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076