As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Hookup: Comics Deals, Sales, Giveaways, Etc.

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    You can get the entire Calvin & Hobbes for $50 on Amazon right now.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Calvin-Hobbes-v/dp/0740748475?tag=dealswoot-20

I'd get it, but I don't really have the room for it.

I think it'd be perfect for anyone who needs to buy something for a kid this Christmas, though.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Yeah it's been that price for a couple weeks. Amazing deal for it though

• AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    If anyone hasn't read Saga and is unsure I can defs recommend it and at that price you'd be crazy not to scoop it up!

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
    CrimsondudeMan of the Waves
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    I mentioned it on Twitter. Should put it on tumblr, too.

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Amazon has X-Force: Old Ghosts for $6.

steam_sig.png
  • LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Is Marvel the only company doing the buy one physical, get one digital thing?

Followup, does anyone want to sell me their Young Avengers digital copies? I kind of want to follow it but not enough to buy it at full price.

e: Same goes for FF. What I've seen of it is delightful, but is it $3 worth of delightful, especially since I don't follow anything going on around it?

Legba on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    No, DC does the digital code thing too.

Unfortunately, Marvel only does digital codes for their 3.99 books, and Young Avengers is 2.99, so there are no codes for it.

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Marvel only includes digital codes with 3.99 books, but YA and FF are 2.99. I would say that both those books are more than worth the cover price though.

Balefuego
    Ahhh, okay. Does DC do digital codes with all their books?

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    No, they have special combo packs that they sell for 4.99 instead of 3.99. I THINK they don't do them for all their 3.99 books, either, but I'm not sure.

Huh. Okay then. That seems like an odd way to do it. The only reason I can think to buy a pack like that would be to split it between two people. I don't know why someone would pay extra to read it twice in a second format.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah the Combo Pack system is pretty dumb and counter intuitive

CYpGAPn.png
    AtomicTofu
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    last day of the transformers comixology sale!
    http://www.comixology.com/comics-sale?featured_id=15609
    Last Stand of the Wreckers 1-5, Death of Optimus Prime, More Than Meets The Eye 1-8, and Robots in Disguise 1-8 are all 99 cents each, and the annuals for MTMTE and RID are 2 dollars each.
    the LSOTW trade is 4 dollars, so that's cheaper than getting the single issues.

• RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    (no message)

RedDelicious on
    edited April 2018
    (no message)

RedDelicious on
  • LikeaBoshLikeaBosh Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So my wife and I recently made a big decision for our futures, and will be selling off most of our possessions to ride motorcycles around the planet. Because of this, I created a spreadsheet of all my graphic novels, listing publisher, title, volume, condition the book is in, personal rating, and retail price. I finally completed it and have found I own 522 Graphic Novels worth $18,934.63 retail. Now, this was collected over the last 12 years, but I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on a way to move it all quickly. Possibly selling it as a lump collection for over 1/2 off. Does anyone have any ideas/interest in this?

AmiguLegba
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Dang, I don't know. Maybe try calling local comic shops and see how interested they are in buying the whole lot?

edited April 2018
    (no message)

RedDelicious on
    AntimatterCrimsondude
    Yeah selling off singles is the way to make cash unfortunately.

QEz1Jw1.png
  • TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    thwipster.com finally went dark (it's 403'ing). i wonder how long ago that happened.

• MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    thwipster.com finally went dark (it's 403'ing). i wonder how long ago that happened.
    It just happened recently, a few weeks ago at the longest.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    thwipster.com finally went dark

Coming as a surprise to absolutely nobody. :(

Who were they again?

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    They had deals (weekly, maybe?) on comic book trades/hardcovers. I only bought a couple of things from them while they were active, but just to give you an idea of the kinds of sales they had, I bought the Invincible Compendium Vol 1, The Death of Captain America Omnibus, Absolute Sandman Vol 4, and the Thor by Walt Simonson Omnibus for a combined total of $196.

Basically, they'd only have a coupe of items at a time, and if you didn't care about those items, too bad. If you DID want those items, though, you'd probably get a huge discount. And this selection changed very regularly.

I miss them. It was a good store.

Gaslight
    Oh yeah. Now I remember.

That sucks.

What's especially annoying is that their Twitter account has always been like "Oh yeah, we've got stuff in the works, we're coming back soon!"

Which, I mean, maybe at some point they did plan on coming back, but it's been obvious for a while that they were gone for good.

Superman: TAS for $19: http://amzn.com/B002LWJ510

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Anyone still using any of the online subscription sites (heavyink, tfaw, dcbs, midtown, etc.)?

I'm going to be going back to school soon, and rather than trimming my pull down to nothing, I'd like to keep picking up some core books at my LCS and do the rest through a subscription site to take advantage of the massive discounts that most of them offer.

Last time I lived in a college town, I used heavyink until the owner revealed himself to be kind of a nutter. Then I used TFAW until I moved back home, but their discounts and service weren't as excellent.

I wonder whether those sorts of services would be worth it for me living in Ausralia or whether the shipping costs would outweigh the discount.

QEz1Jw1.png
  • Koyote042Koyote042 Chicken Snatcher... MichiganRegistered User new member
    Does anyone know if Johnny: The Homicidal Maniac is still in print? I need to get one for a gift.

Koyote042 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Johnny: The Homicidal Maniac is still in print? I need to get one for a gift.
    Does this work?

PM me for the codes for Mighty Avengers #2 and #3

(they're super worth it).

QEz1Jw1.png
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Barnes and Noble is running a buy 2 get the 3rd free sale on Marvel and DC TPBs in-store and online.

steam_sig.png
    Crimsondude
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Bullio wrote: »
    Barnes and Noble is running a buy 2 get the 3rd free sale on Marvel and DC TPBs in-store and online.

How long does it last?

Nevermind, it's till January 2nd.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    God, Thwipster tweeted a thing, my heart leaped up into my throat like if a pretty girl smiled at me, and then it turns out that no, they're not actually back.

Why are they toying with my emotions like this?

MyNameIsWalrus
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Yeah, but what they tweeted was this:

BeDdk6QIEAEzu62.png

So that could be interpreted as a positive sign.

Ehhhhhh. Their MO since their site mysteriously closed was to lie dormant for months, then tweet some comic book image or geeky quote, and then when throngs of excited people ask them if this means that they're coming back, they respond with something like "not at this time" or "sorry, no". In fact, in the reply thread to this very tweet, someone asked if they're coming back, and they said "there's no timeline". Until they're up and I can go there and place an order, I am assuming exactly nothing.

In the grand scheme of things, this is the least of the world's problems - and let's be honest, if they come back and have the same amazing deals they had back in the day, I'm going to end up giving them money. It's just that this kind of a relationship with their customer-base really annoys me. Cryptic nonsense can generate goodwill if it's done the right way (like a Valve ARG); this is not the right way.

Sorce
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular

Looks like Thwipster is finally coming back.