As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

FPS for a 10 year old?

SunstrandSunstrand Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey everyone, my sister just called and was wondering if COD:MW2 was a game that she could let her son play, just having finished it myself the obvious answer was "Jeebus! no, not a chance,". I assume someone he knows from school has played or something and he wants it, and the fact that he's played the multiplayer aspect of the first COD:MW with his cousins who are older than him. I am pretty sure he gets that these are just games and all, but the airport level was a little much and I don't think he is ready for that just yet.

So he really likes the running around shooting stuff kinda thing but I was thinking that monsters wouldn't be a bad thing to shoot, or robots or something. He has a PS3 and a Wii but due to him living out in the middle of nowhere he has no internet so no multiplayer for him.

So long story short, I need a game suggestion that fits these points 1. a 10 year old can play it without his mother thinking he's gonna be a mass murderer 2. not too hard, once again it's for a 10 year old 3. no internet connection needed 4. preferably for the PS3 but Wii is also an option.

Thanks for any suggestions guys, and sorry if this seems like I'm ranting about COD:MW2 I'm not, I think it's an awesome game but I don't think it's the right game for a 10 year old.

BorderlandsClaptraps.jpg
Sunstrand on

• Options
    SaarSaar Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I would think Ratchet and Clank would be more kid friendly.

Saar on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Gears of War has...sorta monsters.

Dead space is full of monsters, but I wouldn't really recommend that.

Bioshock is in the same boat.

I'd suggest borderlands, but its already in your sig so you probably already know about it.

Halo?

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    There is a reason why there are ratings on games after all.

Ratchet and Clank and Jak, while more of a 3rd person shooter, is a good one. Aside from that it's mainly stuff that has very toned down levels of realism. Sadly I'm failing to recall any off the top of my head in the fps genre like this.

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    For what it's worth, you can skip the airport level. Not that it makes the game alright for a 10-year-old, I'm just saying.

The Resistance games might be alright for him. They have that same semi-realistic feel as MW2, but he'll be killing aliens instead of Russians.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Water Warfare and Onslaught are both kid friendly FPS for Wiiware, and both are well regarded. Maybe you could borrow his Wii and bring it back with those games on it or something. It's not ideal, since both games still are kind of geared to playing online, although there is single player and local multi.

Maybe Metroid Prime Trilogy would satisfy his urge to run around and shoot? There's a lot of value there, which is good for a kid.

It's a tough question, because a big part of the appeal of FPS for a 10 year old is realistic violence.

Saddler on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009

I'd suggest borderlands, but its already in your sig so you probably already know about it.

Halo?

The kid doesn't have an Xbox.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Maybe The Orange Box? The PS3 port may be weak, but...

HL2 is shooting aliens, not lets-kill-turrurists
    TF2 is nice and cartoony
    Portal doesn't give you a killing gun, and the only things you have the chance to destroy are robots.
    And, of course, the poor cube

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What the hell is up with you guys? Half-Life 2? Resistance? Seriously? Those are the violence equivalent of R rated movies.

I'm not really familiar with a lot of kid-friendly console games but if Saddler is right about those two Wii games I'd go with them. Anything rated above T is probably going to be a bad idea.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You'll be hard-pressed to find an FPS that doesn't feature the killing of other people or other intense gore and shocking imagery. The best you can hope for is things that are less removed from reality - so, no Modern Warfare 2, jeebus.

Two words: Chex Quest.

Henroid on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If anything.. Metroid Prime. But.. then again.. it's not very "kid friendly" controls-wise.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The Metroid Prime series doesn't feature any violence against other humans, though I don't think the second and third are pretty tough. Maybe too hard for a 10 year old, but if the objective is just to have fun instead of "beat the game", that's what I'd recommend.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    AwkAwk Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Avoid Metroid. The kid will play it for 2 minutes and stop. Its way too confusing for a 10 year old to go thru a million tubes.

I do recommend Ratchet and Clank.. although not a FPS, any kid would love it.

Awk on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What the hell is up with you guys? Half-Life 2? Resistance? Seriously? Those are the violence equivalent of R rated movies.

I'm not really familiar with a lot of kid-friendly console games but if Saddler is right about those two Wii games I'd go with them. Anything rated above T is probably going to be a bad idea.

The OP said the kid's already played CoD4, so I'd assume the basic MO to be finding first-person shooters that are, if not less violent, at least have their violence less grounded in reality than MW2 (while still being the sort of game that a 10-year old would enjoy).

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I agree with AWK on Metroid.

If he has access to a PC, Serious Sam II would maybe be an option. I've never played it but all the screenshots I saw had cartoony enemies in them. From what I've read, it has straightforward, trigger-heavy gameplay.

Platy on
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Pokemon Snap on Wii's VC.

Oh yeah.

Also: Star Fox Assault on the Gamecube? Adventures was also good, but has more Zelda controls than FPS.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If the PS3 is backwards compatible then I would recommend Timesplitters.

It's kind of cartoony and the multiplayer is a lot of fun.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

Halo?

The kid doesn't have an Xbox.

yeah I missed that part

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    spacerobotspacerobot Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I came here to post Chex Quest, but someone beat me. Not only is it age appropriate, but it's also a pretty fun game.

spacerobot on
    test.jpg
  • Options
    An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Any chance of hooking the kid up with some Goldeneye 64?

An-D on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    An-D wrote: »
    I don't know. There's very little blood, but the death animations were very violent and explicit for their time. Enemies grabbing their wounds or writhing in pain. Small details, but a kid's more likely to notice those.

I'd personally go with Ratchet and Clank or look into those Wii games Saddler mentioned.

Platy on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll go through and make a list for my sister and let her know which ones would be best for him.

Also I was looking around and seen Jurassic: The Hunted

Has anyone had any experience with this game? I assume it's not the greatest but I don't think he's going to be wondering about the quality of writing or anything like that. From the looks of it, it should satisfy his running around shooting stuff urge and keep him occupied with dinosaurs, instead of Russian civilians.

Sunstrand on
    BorderlandsClaptraps.jpg
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I don't know. There's very little blood, but the death animations were very violent and explicit for their time. Enemies grabbing their wounds or writhing in pain. Small details, but a kid's more likely to notice those.

I'd personally go with Ratchet and Clank or look into those Wii games Saddler mentioned.

Come to fucking think of it -

I was 10 years old when I played Goldeneye for hours on end.

Let this kid play what he wants, as long as he can't fuck hookers and whatnot. Oh wait, couldn't we kinda do that with Duke Nukem?

I think we are all being a little hypocritical here.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The Medal of Honor games all feature the main character shooting people, and Nazis/Japanese soldiers at that, but they do not have blood, gore, or foul language at all (outside of mildly derogatory period lingo), and are all (to my knowledge) rated T.

It's fairly realistic violence (which is what ten year olds love), it has guns and people to aim them at, but it doesn't have the dismemberments or f-bombs found in most other shooters.

And maybe your sister could shoehorn some impromptu history lessons in there while he's playing.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Demerdar wrote: »

Let this kid play what he wants, as long as he can't fuck hookers and whatnot. Oh wait, couldn't we kinda do that with Duke Nukem?

Well, I mean, yeah, but take a look at the cautionary tale that is how you turned out. ;-)

SammyF on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Demerdar wrote: »

Well it's important to note that this is a list for his nephew, not his son. If it was my own kid I'd let him play much more graphic things than I'd let my sister's kid play.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    It's not that I want to be sheltering or anything, he plays the first modern warfare game when he's at my place and it's all cool. It's the fact that modern warfare 2 has gone to the extreme of what some people consider acceptable in video games period. To be more specific I had no problem going through the airport level, on one hand I'm 28 years old and am mature enough to look at something like that and see it for what it is. On the other he's ten, and while I think he is mature for his age I''m not comfortable enough vetting a game for him that I know is pushing some limits. I know you can skip the level but he's a ten year old boy, we could tell him that he's not allowed to play that level until he's older, the first thing he would do when he gets a chance is to play the shit out of it.

I know it seems hypocritical, and I don't think there is a connection with video games and violence, or even a moral/religious objection I really just don't think he's ready for that kind of stuff yet. Maybe I'm a dick and I see a difference in playing soldier and playing murderer, I don't know it's just how I feel. I'm not sure this all makes sense, but once again thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Maybe I'll make a D&D thread, if there isn't one already, about this line of discussion because I think It would be cool to talk about what people think is o.k and why.

Sunstrand on
    BorderlandsClaptraps.jpg
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Who the fuck suggests gears of war as an appropriate videogame for a ten year old? Who does that?

http://www.esrb.org/index-js.jsp

The ESRB website has a search function. Just plug in E-rating and PS3 games. I didn't see a whole lot of FPSes, though. There's plenty of other genres available to you, at least. Who doesn't like Worms?

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Serious Sam would be perfect.

Kelor on
  • Options
    HKPacman420HKPacman420 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Kelor wrote: »
    Serious Sam would be perfect.

This.

Also; I don't know about you guys, but I first played Resident Evil when I was 7 years old,didn't mess me up one bit...unless you count learning the importance of ammunition conservation.

HKPacman420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Most of you guys aren't remembering your childhoods right if you are thinking most of those games are too complicated for a 10 year old. I was playing lots of games when I was 10, and still had fun even if they were hard.

Give the kid some credit.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Neither are FPSes, but clearly Manhunt 2 or Godfather on the Wii are perfect, he can even mimic the choke-slams and garotte-wire decapitations.

Or, you know, Ratchet and Clank and he'll probably have more shitloads fun than with a kiddie FPS.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Cervetus wrote: »
    Well it's important to note that this is a list for his nephew, not his son. If it was my own kid I'd let him play much more graphic things than I'd let my sister's kid play.
    I feel the same. Wether kids should be allowed to play violent games is a choice the parents should make. From the OP I infer that that the OP's sister wouldn't be thrilled if her son went on a murderous rampage in a video game.

I'd let my kids play violent games, but I'd make sure to talk with them about the contents.

Platy on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited November 2009
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    Who the fuck suggests gears of war as an appropriate videogame for a ten year old? Who does that?

Yeah that was my first thought.

Serious Sam was a great suggestion.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It really depends on the kid. Does he have trouble discerning reality from video games? Is he extremely sheltered? I've got a cousin the same age who is both (and he's mormon to top it off) so I wouldn't let him near most FPS games.

Sipex on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, a 10 year old can play and beat pretty much anything. I know when I was that young I could get through very complicated games, shit I'd even stuck around games that now I would just give up on. Metroid Trilogy being too hard? Please, when I was 10 I'd already beaten Super Metroid over a dozen times, and the Prime series are a more linear version of that, and the first-person view he's already used to.

Children are surprisingly more capable than most people give them credit for, especially the capacity to problem solve in games and get through ridiculously hard portions. At 10, I'd mastered most games on the NES and SNES, and shortly afterwards the 64 came out, and by then I was already dominating all the PC games out at that time.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Besides the Wii control scheme and the sometimes confusing 3D navigation, I was worried specifically about the spider guardian and boost guardian fights. I beat Super Metroid when I was 8, but I almost gave up on Echoes when I was 18.

But, as I just found out, those fights were heavily toned down in Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Platy on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    When i was ten i played and loved Doom. Let him enjoy our FPS history.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    On the Wii?

What about Conduit? Havne't played it myself, but I think it's fairly interesting...

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Glad to see that Chex Quest has been represented.

TL DR on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, around that age I regularly played Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, and Quake. Not to mention I watched all kinds of movies that were rated R; Aliens, The Thing, Dawn of the Dead (those three movies are still among my favorites). Of course, my parents always made sure I knew the difference between what I saw on a TV or computer screen and real life.

Kids like enjoying more grown-up entertainment, just make sure they can handle it - age alone shouldn't be the deciding factor.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294