As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Two Worlds; Oblivion killer? (PC & Xbox360)

• MattieMattie Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't get it... What's wrong with it? It looks good, has 8-player co-op...

It might not be great, but it deserves to be immediately written off why?

You people are crazy.

Mattie on
    3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, really. If it's good it's good, if it sucks it sucks. We'll find out this spring either way, no?

I definitely wouldn't mind a different take on the free roaming thing. Oblivion for me cleaned up the Morrowind gameplay to the point that it could be called gameplay for me and I could finally get into it with no inhibitions, but it definitely has some issues.

LoneIgadzra on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Co-op makes any game at least rent worthy.

Looks like the developers took more than notes from Oblivion, if I didn't know any better I'd say it was the same engine. Well, something else to keep my eye on this year.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Moridan wrote:
    Meh. I'm not too impressed. Though the pic of the chick by the window seems to imply that there is a seemless transition between indoors and outdoors, which is great.
    Seriously, it's absolutely pathetic that Ultima 9 is the only game to have pulled that off well.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Axen wrote:

Looks like the developers took more than notes from Oblivion, if I didn't know any better I'd say it was the same engine. Well, something else to keep my eye on this year.
    Do you know better? I remember the oblivion engine as one being used for all recent RPGs, and for this. But that might have been something else?

SilkyNumNuts on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This looks terrible.

Multiplayer sounds cool though.

bruin on
    edited January 2007
    Axen wrote:

Do you know better? I remember the oblivion engine as one being used for all recent RPGs, and for this. But that might have been something else?

Honestly I don't know better. Hell, the engine Oblivion uses was even used in Playboy: The Mansion & Civ IV.

Axen on
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    One interesting side note to the spell mixing is that once you create a new spell, you can register it online and name it. If you're the first one to do so, that's the name that will stick in the online world.
    While a very cool gimmick, hopefully the first person to create the medium level healing spell they forget to include won't call it "Cox Dix LOL" or something.

But you know they will.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Mr. White XDMr. White XD Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I was reading an article about this game in EGM or Game informer, can't remember which, and some of the game play additions were kind of cool.

Basically, whatever power you use in the game, unlocks it for the npc's.

You could start using necromancy, but then other npc's can learn it and use it against you. So you could start getting some crazy spells, but then the game will get harder because they'll be used against you.

Mr. White XD on
    Mr+white+Xd.gif
    edited January 2007
    Oh snap! Harold Faltermeyer who is best known for composing the music to the film Top Gun, will be providing the music score for the game. This has jumped up from "Looks Interesting" to "Watch Obsessively" for me.
    Miroslaw Dymek: We want to create a cinematic, but also interactive and tremendous soundtrack. Therefore we working in cooperation with the well-known Hollywood composer, Harold Faltermeyer.

Axen on
  • SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I hope it's a little less open than Oblivion. I just feel overwhelmed when I play it. Maybe I should just play through the main quest and try the sidequests after that. Would a goal make it easier?

Samphis on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited January 2007
    Samphis wrote:
    I hope it's a little less open than Oblivion. I just feel overwhelmed when I play it. Maybe I should just play through the main quest and try the sidequests after that. Would a goal make it easier?
    i really enjoyed having a goal in oblivion

i like the open-endedness but i do find that just doing endless meaningless dungeons got repetitive and tedious

bongi on
  • Mr. White XDMr. White XD Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oblivion seemed TOO linear imho, I liked how morrowind basically dropped you in the world, and you had a huge learning curve (Bang for your buck) Oblivion had an improved map which always aimed you in the right direction, so It was pretty easy to blast straight through all your quests, it just didn't feel as epic as morrowind did.

Mr. White XD on
    Mr+white+Xd.gif
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't get all the negativity. You're just looking at a few screenshots and writing it off? "The terrain doesn't look nearly as good as Oblivion, obviously the gameplay will be terrible! Let me continue to be negative while completely ignoring this huge, massive game world, eight player online play, and the ability to easily create your own maps and quests!"

And just because they're a new development house doesn't mean it'll be a terrible game, either. Everyone has to start somewhere, right? Fable was that studios first game and it was pretty good (even though Peter hyped it up too much; but it was still enjoyable). How about Far Cry? I believe that was their first, too. Two Worlds looks like a cross between Oblivion (huge game world), Gothic (multiple factions and the ability to join or betray them; reputation), and Mount&Blade (combat; mounted combat). The online gameplay is what I'm really looking forward to. If it's anything like those three games and with this online play, it seems to me like something to keep an eye on.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Because I'm extremely bored:

windwankerqm1.png

So many of these screen shots remind me of Oblivion. I'm just not sure about it, it may be too familiar.

But then again it's like comparing WWII games, they all look and feel the same sometimes, but still have different gameplay.

I'll have to wait and see.

Icemopper on
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dashui wrote:
    I don't get all the negativity. You're just looking at a few screenshots and writing it off? "The terrain doesn't look nearly as good as Oblivion, obviously the gameplay will be terrible! Let me continue to be negative while completely ignoring this huge, massive game world, eight player online play, and the ability to easily create your own maps and quests!"

Because ambitious games from unheard of developers usually is a situation that ends badly.

I'm sure everyone here would love to be proven wrong, and it turns out to be a fabulous game. But in today's environment, a bit of pessimism is to be expected. Nothing ever turns out as awesome as it claims it will be.

xzzy on
    edited January 2007
    xzzy wrote:
    Dashui wrote:

Because ambitious games from unheard of developers usually is a situation that ends badly.

I'm sure everyone here would love to be proven wrong, and it turns out to be a fabulous game. But in today's environment, a bit of pessimism is to be expected. Nothing ever turns out as awesome as it claims it will be.

I'm not expecting it to be the perfect game. That doesn't mean I can't keep an eye on a game with some kind of hope or anticipation! There's no reason to go "Well, it could be good, but I'll just believe it will be terrible until I'm proven wrong or right." If the gameplay is anything like Oblivion or Mount&Blade, which it looks like it will be, and the online play is stable, then that is definitely reason enough for me to keep an eye on it. Online play is something these type of games sorely need, I feel, and the ability to create your own maps and quests only furthers my anticipation.

Dashui on
  • Dangerou-DaveDangerou-Dave __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Looks pretty interesting thus far, if not a touch bland.

I'm happy to see an oblvion like game that does a lot of things differently. I was so so so excited for oblivion but I ended up returning it. I know I'm a minority here, but I was shocked at how similar it was to morrowind (not necessarily asthetically), and how little I gave a damn about the world I was playing in/the characters.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dashui wrote:
    There's no reason to go "Well, it could be good, but I'll just believe it will be terrible until I'm proven wrong or right."

Yes there is, it means you'll never be disappointed. ;)

xzzy on
  • SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    xzzy wrote:
    Dashui wrote:
    There's no reason to go "Well, it could be good, but I'll just believe it will be terrible until I'm proven wrong or right."

Yes there is, it means you'll never be disappointed. ;)

And likely spend less money.

Samphis on
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The whole thing just looks like a mod for Oblivion :|

I thought it was a mod for Oblivion untill someone said it was a completely seperate game.

rayofash on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oblivion seemed TOO linear imho, I liked how morrowind basically dropped you in the world, and you had a huge learning curve (Bang for your buck) Oblivion had an improved map which always aimed you in the right direction, so It was pretty easy to blast straight through all your quests, it just didn't feel as epic as morrowind did.

In Oblivion, you're a prisoner who was lucky enough to be in the right cell at the right time. The final boss involves getting inside a building.

In Morrowind, you're the reincarnation of a god. The final boss is a demi-god who is building a giant robot to start a new religion with.

That is probably why Morrowind felt a bit more epic than Oblivion. The giant dead crab cities helped, too.

Mai-Kero on
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    On one hand, it has a bunch of things that make it look cool, and those screen shots aren't exactly from the most recent built I'd imagine, since the newer ones look better on the site.

On the other hand, the site is using a photograph as promotional art, which as far as I can recall, has never been associated with anything good. I might be overlooking something, however.

piL on
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote:

In Oblivion, you're a prisoner who was lucky enough to be in the right cell at the right time. The final boss involves getting inside a building.

In Morrowind, you're the reincarnation of a god. The final boss is a demi-god who is building a giant robot to start a new religion with.

That is probably why Morrowind felt a bit more epic than Oblivion. The giant dead crab cities helped, too.
    While Morrowind was more epic, you definitely make the difference sound worse than it actually is. See, I can do the same thing in the opposite direction:
    [realspoiler:9b6ac95f5a]In Oblivion, you help the last Septim Emperor ward off the end of the world, which he does by sacrificing himself for the good of humanity. In Morrowind, you destroy a heart by hitting it with a hammer and a sword a few times.[/realspoiler:9b6ac95f5a]

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited January 2007
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    thor got wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:

While Morrowind was more epic, you definitely make the difference sound worse than it actually is. See, I can do the same thing in the opposite direction:
    [realspoiler:2315dfe987]In Oblivion, you help the last Septim Emperor ward off the end of the world, which he does by sacrificing himself for the good of humanity. In Morrowind, you destroy a heart by hitting it with a hammer and a sword a few times.[/realspoiler:2315dfe987]
    [spoiler:2315dfe987] Dagger, actually. :V

Nothing like being a master in long-blades and missing the heart of lorkhan half a dozen times because I never bothered with my shortblade skill.[/spoiler:2315dfe987]

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    rayofash wrote:
    I also like how the street stones and the grass around the tree just...fade into each other.

Houk the Namebringer on
    edited January 2007
    rayofash wrote:

I do think you're just nitpicking at this point.

EDIT: Houk's right though :|

Still, Oblivion stuff explosion blended together for me.

piL on
    edited January 2007
    piL wrote:
    rayofash wrote:

Actually i'm just disappointed.

rayofash on
    edited January 2007
    rayofash wrote:
    piL wrote:
    rayofash wrote:

Actually i'm just disappointed.

I guess. I'm probably cutting it too much slack as well. Coop is a balm that cures most of my wounds.

piL on
  • JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Axen wrote:
    Axen wrote:

Honestly I don't know better. Hell, the engine Oblivion uses was even used in Playboy: The Mansion & Civ IV.

Are you serious?

JWFokker on
  • hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    In Morrowind, you're the reincarnation of a god.

I'ma nerd out here for a while.

Indoril Nerevar was never a god, just a really powerful warlord who was posthumously declared a saint, [spoiler:03e8518b1a]likely by the very people who betrayed and killed him. [/spoiler:03e8518b1a]Only Dagoth Ur and the Tribunal recieved apotheosis from the Heart.

[spoiler:03e8518b1a]
    Also, it's open to interpretation as to whether you're really a reincarnation, or actually just being told that by Azura so that you carry out her plans to destroy the Tribunal.[/spoiler:03e8518b1a]

Either way, it's lightyears more epic and interesting than Oblivion's plot. The player gets more freedom to choose why his character is doing the things he's doing, rather than shoehorning everyone into the role of a goody two-shoes Imperial loyalist.

Back on topic: If this game succeeds in letting me make interesting stories for myself, and has a backstory that's open enough for my character to have a wide choice of motives, I'll be more than happy.
    JWFokker wrote:
    Axen wrote:

Are you serious?

This is misleading. They all use Gamebryo, which isn't an "engine" so much as development middleware that includes a 3d renderer.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    JWFokker wrote:
    Axen wrote:
    Axen wrote:

Are you serious?
    According to wikipedia, it uses the Gabryo engine.
    Gamebryo is used throughout the video game industry. Some of the developers who use EGT's Gamebryo include:

* Bethesda Softworks (Morrowind, Oblivion)
    * Firaxis (for Pirates!, Civilization IV and Railroads!)
    * Irrational Games (Freedom Force)
    * Mad Doc Software (Empire Earth II)
    * Mythic Entertainment (Dark Age of Camelot)
    * Piranha Bytes (Gothic 3)
    * Timegate Studios (Kohan II)
    * MindArk (Entropia Universe)

Couscous on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Oblivion is really overhyped. Its main redeeming factor was the dark brotherhood storyline.

The main one is not only short but its also about 70% oblivion gate closing. It also auto detects the best settings for your PC then throws you into a final fight with an engine that can't deal with more than 5 people involved in combat.

DarkWarrior on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Morrowind is an Oblivion killer.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If they take the story and open ended-ness of Oblivion and add in Mount and Blades fighting system... jesus... you can't lose!

Well you can, but it'd be tough!

Endomatic on
  • Smarmy LechSmarmy Lech Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm excited for this game.

I don't know, or care, if it's an Oblivion killer. Why does it even matter?

Smarmy Lech on
    Cottontail.png
    edited January 2007
    Endomatic wrote:
    If they take the story and open ended-ness of Oblivion and add in Mount and Blades fighting system... jesus... you can't lose!

Well you can, but it'd be tough!

You're forgetting the online co-op with up to eight players! And how you can make your own quests and maps to play online with people! That's what makes me interested in the game. I definitely will try and make some if I ever get the game.

Dashui on
  • AllonAllon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    cdneger wrote:

two_worlds_large_1.jpg

Countdown to Warhammer conversion! :D
    Mai-Kero wrote:

Oh please, you don't actually believe all that Nerevarine crap? :roll:
    Go hug a demon, you silly heretic.

Allon on
  • Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This game looks like it uses Speedtree as well. (Oblivion used it)

Overall, it looks really promising. Even if you think of it in terms of Oblivion with multiplayer and horse fighting, it sounds awesome.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif