As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Two Worlds; Oblivion killer? (PC & Xbox360)

• Options
    cdnegercdneger Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    rayofash wrote:

A Belgian games magazine I picked up this afternoon actually has a rather lenghty article about this game. I will spare you the details since you can all read the links I gave in the OP and they cover pretty much the same ground but the author did comment on the emptiness of the gameworld. And proceeded to mention that the build he had played was an ALPHA one. Apparently they are still in Alpha stage or at least were at the time (can't be much more than a month or two ago).

So basically all the screenshots you see here are Alpha, NPCs will be added, and graphics can still be changed. So for all you nay-sayers, don't give up on this one just yet.

cdneger on
    Every+Zig.png
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This game looks like it uses Speedtree as well. (Oblivion used it)

Overall, it looks really promising. Even if you think of it in terms of Oblivion with multiplayer and horse fighting, it sounds awesome.

My fps and pop in :( Damn trees.

solsovly on
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Veevee wrote:
    titmouse wrote:
    xzzy wrote:
    Just once I'd like to see a fantasy game that doesn't have you standing toe to toe with wildlife, locked in an epic battle.
    I can understand it when your character is a low level. There are some very dangerous wildlife.

bears%20relaxing.JPG

Don't look too dangerous to me.

Don't you know? Polar bears are the most ferocious killer in the animal kingdom.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Veevee wrote:
    titmouse wrote:
    xzzy wrote:
    Just once I'd like to see a fantasy game that doesn't have you standing toe to toe with wildlife, locked in an epic battle.
    I can understand it when your character is a low level. There are some very dangerous wildlife.

bears%20relaxing.JPG

Don't you know? Polar bears are the most ferocious killer in the animal kingdom.

WE-War%20Sword.jpg

MechMantis on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    All this talk about Oblivion killer reminds me of when I started a thread on killzone and someone wise pointed out that slapping "hot game in this genre-killer" on any upcoming game will often hype it out of proportion and make it seem like something its not. Killzone and Red Faction 2 were great FPSs for the PS2 but slapping Halo killer on there makes people look at it for something its not. If I play this game, i will play it for fun, not to play what I played in Oblivion but without all the flaws.

still bitter about my thread decending into a flame war over the jump button....assholes.

edit: fixed

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    All this talk about Oblivion killer reminds me of when I started a thread on killzone and someone wise pointed out that slapping "hot game in this genre-killer" on any upcoming game will often hype it out of proportion and make it seem like something its not. Killzone and Red Alert 2 were great FPSs for the PS2 but slapping Halo killer on there makes people look at it for something its not. If I play this game, i will play it for fun, not to play what I played in Oblivion but without all the flaws.

still bitter about my thread decending into a flame war over the jump button....assholes.

... I'm sorry what?

cdneger on
    Every+Zig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    cdneger wrote:
    All this talk about Oblivion killer reminds me of when I started a thread on killzone and someone wise pointed out that slapping "hot game in this genre-killer" on any upcoming game will often hype it out of proportion and make it seem like something its not. Killzone and Red Alert 2 were great FPSs for the PS2 but slapping Halo killer on there makes people look at it for something its not. If I play this game, i will play it for fun, not to play what I played in Oblivion but without all the flaws.

... I'm sorry what?

I was thinking the same thing.

So... this game... I hear it has things.

Can we get a confirmation on this baseless rumor?

MechMantis on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    MechMantis wrote:
    Veevee wrote:
    titmouse wrote:
    xzzy wrote:

Bears

Sword

Hope that sword's lubricated, because a polar bear will use as a suppository for you. Predators that can reach 1300 lbs are very nasty business.

I don't like playing exterminator in RPGs, but I know that a grizzly or polar bear is basically like an armed and armored (those bones are tough) person with 5 or more times the mass. Oblivion got it right in having some of the bigger bears they sent at higher levels still able to maul your ass.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I am sorry, I had something else on my mind and I meant Red faction 2, I was still thinking about playing kill the despot on one of that maps that was like that quake multiplayer level in space with the platforms. Its like king of the hill or capture the flag, you have this giant hat that sits on a player or bot and everyone in the level runs around and tries to hold onto it the longest, it was quite humorous seeing a man in a giant hat over his body run along a platform in space with a pack of nanozombies and supernanosoldiers chasing after him, all while I am lining up a shot with the rocket launcher.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I am sorry, I had something else on my mind and I meant Red faction 2, I was still thinking about playing kill the despot on one of that maps that was like that quake multiplayer level in space with the platforms. Its like king of the hill or capture the flag, you have this giant hat that sits on a player or bot and everyone in the level runs around and tries to hold onto it the longest, it was quite humorous seeing a man in a giant hat over his body run along a platform in space with a pack of nanozombies and supernanosoldiers chasing after him, all while I am lining up a shot with the rocket launcher.

I hear what you're saying and I would like to comment on that suchlike:

11504851081.jpg

Come on people this looks good!

cdneger on
    Every+Zig.png
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    All this talk about Oblivion killer reminds me of when I started a thread on killzone and someone wise pointed out that slapping "hot game in this genre-killer" on any upcoming game will often hype it out of proportion and make it seem like something its not. Killzone and Red Faction 2 were great FPSs for the PS2 but slapping Halo killer on there makes people look at it for something its not. If I play this game, i will play it for fun, not to play what I played in Oblivion but without all the flaws.

Man I agree. I hate the stupid "GAME KILLER!" statement. It's so stupid and dumb you dont "kill" games you make a similar game that is either better or worse. There is no cries of "OMG TWO WORLDS GAME OUT WHO THE FUCK NEEDS OBLIVION!" as everyone breaks their oblivion disks.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    MechMantis wrote:
    Veevee wrote:
    titmouse wrote:
    xzzy wrote:

Bears

Sword

Hope that sword's lubricated, because a polar bear will use as a suppository for you. Predators that can reach 1300 lbs are very nasty business.

I don't like playing exterminator in RPGs, but I know that a grizzly or polar bear is basically like an armed and armored (those bones are tough) person with 5 or more times the mass. Oblivion got it right in having some of the bigger bears they sent at higher levels still able to maul your ass.

Bears may be strong, but I don't think they're invulnerable to cut arteries or decapitations. Both of which are caused by sword wounds.

Broadheads can also seriously ruin a bear's day.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    MechMantis wrote:
    MechMantis wrote:
    Veevee wrote:
    titmouse wrote:
    xzzy wrote:

Bears

Sword

Bears may be strong, but I don't think they're invulnerable to cut arteries or decapitations. Both of which are caused by sword wounds.

Dude, Superman has trouble killing polar bears. I don't think some pansy fairyboy with a wooden sword is going to do all that well.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Ok so I did some research and I actually found no evidence whatsoever of bears, polar or otherwise, in this game. What I did find however:

BOARS!

11547182114.jpg

And BUNNIES!

115048481311.jpg

cdneger on
    Every+Zig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    MechMantis wrote:

You're assuming that a human can actually get a sword through the tough bones and muscles that make up a bear's anatomy.

Many bullets are considered insufficient to stop a bear because they just can't penetrate deeply enough into a bear's body. A bullet strikes with a lot more force than a man swinging a sword. It's why we gave up on plate armor after guns became more common a long time ago. If something that can stop a man in plate armor can't stop a bear, something that has trouble with plate armor isn't going to fare any better.
    cdneger wrote:
    Ok so I did some research and I actually found no evidence whatsoever of bears, polar or otherwise, in this game. What I did find however:

BOARS!

And BUNNIES!

:shock: Get the Holy Grenades, stat!

Steel Angel on
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    28682868 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    MechMantis wrote:
    MechMantis wrote:
    Veevee wrote:
    titmouse wrote:
    xzzy wrote:

Bears

Sword

Bears have a much longer reach than a man with a sword, their claws are also pretty much as sharp, never mind that they are faster and stronger. Your sword arm wouldn't do you much good against a grizzly or a polar bear. Say you raise a sword and the bear swipes it, it may wound the bears arm but it is gonna knock the sword out of your hand, and now you don't have a sword. Get real, it would be very difficult to kill a bear with a sword if it was interested in killing you. Chances are it would just leave you alone though.

Use a Bow and Arrow, or an AK 47.

Also, as for early extermination duties in an RPG, World of Warcraft was the first game I remember that had you fighting humanoids early. But I guess it still asks you to kill boars and shit. But I am so through with that game.

2868 on
    Warhams. Allatime warhams.

buy warhams
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    MechMantis wrote:

You're assuming that a human can actually get a sword through the tough bones and muscles that make up a bear's anatomy.

Many bullets are considered insufficient to stop a bear because they just can't penetrate deeply enough into a bear's body. A bullet strikes with a lot more force than a man swinging a sword. It's why we gave up on plate armor after guns became more common a long time ago. If something that can stop a man in plate armor can't stop a bear, something that has trouble with plate armor isn't going to fare any better.

Right so in this game the armor chart will be

Leather armor -> Steel Plate -> Mithril Fancy Pants -> Bear armor

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited January 2007

Uh, what about barbarian loincloths made from bear skin? Is that leather or bear armor?

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

Uh, what about barbarian loincloths made from bear skin? Is that leather or bear armor?

I think we're past due for this classic:

giantbear_small.jpg

xzzy on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007

Well, if you want it to count as bear armor, you need the sear's ass cheeks and groin still attached to the loincloth. Altho I don't recommend wearing that for more than a few day.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Remember guys, fear is the mind killer.

I totally tried to shoehorn a F.E.A.R. joke in there but I was unsuccessful.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    WHY wrote:
    I totally tried to shoehorn a F.E.A.R. joke in there but I was unsuccessful.

So instead you went for a Dune quote? Double failure!

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I find all my epic moments in Obilvion to be in the guild quests, did it feel like they spent more time thinking about the guilds than they did the main quest?

Oh I'm sorry, that was off topic, back on topic, did you know they motion captured the bunny rabbit?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    I find all my epic moments in Obilvion to be in the guild quests, did it feel like they spent more time thinking about the guilds than they did the main quest?

Oh I'm sorry, that was off topic, back on topic, did you know they motion captured the bunny rabbit?

THe only decent guild I remember was the Dark Brotherhood. The fighters guild sucked donkey balls. Wasn't as bad as the Mage guild though.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Rabbits don't motion-capture.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    THe only decent guild I remember was the Dark Brotherhood. The fighters guild sucked donkey balls. Wasn't as bad as the Mage guild though.

The thieves' guild quests were nice too, but sometimes buggy. I had one occasion where I failed a thief guild quest because I killed someone during a DB quest despite there being no connection between the two.

The Mage guild was extremely disappointing. The Arcane University apparently looks more for someone who can burninate and melt faces instead of scholars and researchers for its leaders. I think it would up being more hack and slash than the Fighters' Guild stuff.

The DB quests make it all worth it though. Walking into that lighthouse cellar, thinking "It's kinda dark and hard to see. I'll use a Night-Eye spell . . . " :shock:

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007

The thieves' guild quests were nice too, but sometimes buggy. I had one occasion where I failed a thief guild quest because I killed someone during a DB quest despite there being no connection between the two.

The Mage guild was extremely disappointing. The Arcane University apparently looks more for someone who can burninate and melt faces instead of scholars and researchers for its leaders. I think it would up being more hack and slash than the Fighters' Guild stuff.

The DB quests make it all worth it though. Walking into that lighthouse cellar, thinking "It's kinda dark and hard to see. I'll use a Night-Eye spell . . . " :shock:

I forgot about the thieves guild. Still, the finale mission of that is fairly underwhelming too.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Something about the graphics just look off to me. I can't quite put my finger on it.

bruin on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    MechMantis wrote:

That's the way it is in World of Warcraft :(

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Man, with a name like Two Worlds, I was expecting it to be an open-ended scifi.

I'm disappointed.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    WHY wrote:
    That needs to be a mod for this game. It would be glorious.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    titmouse wrote:
    WHY wrote:
    That needs to be a mod for this game. It would be glorious.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

MechMantis on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    bruin wrote:
    Something about the graphics just look off to me. I can't quite put my finger on it.
    The problem is that everything's so generic. There seems to be no creativity whatsoever in the creature designs.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    bruin wrote:
    The problem is that everything's so generic. There seems to be no creativity whatsoever in the creature designs.

That's what I found wrong with Oblivion.

Morrowind was just... different. There was no other setting like it. You actually felt that you were exploring when you descended into those Dwemer ruins, which were teeming with ancient machines still running after their operators disappeared.

Now we have classical fantasy elf ruins that seem exactly the same as any other other old set of fantasy elf ruins.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    MechMantis wrote:
    bruin wrote:

That's what I found wrong with Oblivion.

Morrowind was just... different. There was no other setting like it. You actually felt that you were exploring when you descended into those Dwemer ruins, which were teeming with ancient machines still running after their operators disappeared.

Now we have classical fantasy elf ruins that seem exactly the same as any other other old set of fantasy elf ruins.
    As much as I loved Oblivion, I have to agree. Morrowind had all these really original creatures and environments, it was so disappointing to see generic fantasy in Oblivion.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    D.T.D.T. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

I don't know, dude. The main quest is pretty epic.

[spoiler:4b8a8ee6fe]Going undercover and getting yourself into the Mythic Dawn hideout, and then, when asked to sacrifice the prisoner, you instead shank the boss lady, steal the Mankor Camoran, and proceed to wipe out the rest of the cult in a battle against all odds?[/spoiler:4b8a8ee6fe]

I felt marching from Bruma to the Imperial City at the end was really epic, too. It was a nice, quiet respite after the major events that had just happened. I guess I have an unusual definition of epic, though. I think the small, intimate events between a handful or characters that aren't necessarily locked in battle at the moment is just as epic and powerful - if not moreso - than huge armies, and gods squaring off.

And as for Oblivion feeling more generic, I think it was supposed to. It's the provinces that are supposed to feel exotic and strange, whereas the breadbasket of the Empire is supposed to feel "normal".

D.T. on
    DxTiddy.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    D.T. wrote:

I don't know, dude. The main quest is pretty epic.

[spoiler:67c5dc9023]Going undercover and getting yourself into the Mythic Dawn hideout, and then, when asked to sacrifice the prisoner, you instead shank the boss lady, steal the Mankor Camoran, and proceed to wipe out the rest of the cult in a battle against all odds?[/spoiler:67c5dc9023]

I felt marching from Bruma to the Imperial City at the end was really epic, too. It was a nice, quiet respite after the major events that had just happened. I guess I have an unusual definition of epic, though. I think the small, intimate events between a handful or characters that aren't necessarily locked in battle at the moment is just as epic and powerful - if not moreso - than huge armies, and gods squaring off.

And as for Oblivion feeling more generic, I think it was supposed to. It's the provinces that are supposed to feel exotic and strange, whereas the breadbasket of the Empire is supposed to feel "normal".

Shit, you could steal that guy? I need to try that. I wouldn't mind having the leader of an evil cult in my backpack.

Yes, it was sorta epic... but nowhere near as awesome as seeing Second Numidium on a lava-surrounded island in the middle of a fucking volcano. While being taunted by a god.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Allon wrote:

two_worlds_large_1.jpg

Hmm. So I guess when he yells "I HAVE THE POWER" he turns into a red knight rather than a muscled up gay man.

Imagine that.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    D.T.D.T. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    MechMantis wrote:
    Shit, you could steal that guy? I need to try that. I wouldn't mind having the leader of an evil cult in my backpack.

I meant Mysterium Xarxes.

lolz

D.T. on
    DxTiddy.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    D.T. wrote:
    MechMantis wrote:

I meant Mysterium Xarxes.

lolz

Now if only we could put the annoying fan in the backpack.

MechMantis on