As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play Mornington Crescent! (Play Has Begun!)

• Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I see what you're doing there, Elench. Surprisingly cunning of you, using Finard's Exemption to turn your double-line penalty into the finest example of neoteny I've seen in many years. But it all depends on no-one figuring it out, and now I can simply recollect Shepherd's Bush for right of parlay to turn your West Acton into a meaningless two-line square.

Fuck.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm sorry for interrupting; I'll just do it this once.

I had to google this. I am now laughing at work. Carry on gentlemen!

Rius on
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well, Daius leaves me with only one strategic play, especially with the rules in play.

Using Henderson's Corollary, I'll take the tea break provided by Daius' move, I'll then make a play for Greenford, while bypassing the negative flip-flop action that would normally be assessed in moving there.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    As I am forced to do so by the KCSP Triumvirate, I must move to Euston. Hopefully the Northern Line will be free of those damnable rottweilers before my next turn, although given the number of Commonwealth players that we have I suspect it will not.

Burnage on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    so annoyed I missed this thread when sign-ups were still going... :(

BobCesca on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    BobCesca wrote: »

Vexing indeed. Would it be considered bad form to provide some form of comentary to help guide the non-players who might be reading this thread to try and enlighten them as to the strategic opportunities being considered as well as any rules they might be unclear on? I promise I will not rear-carriage guide (even though as I understand it as you are playing Manchester variants with Ambleside would mean the "Lord Wotherington" (of course hilariously misnamed after Baron Archibald) ruling would be in effect and given the opening duo of moves were double letter (HH, CC) that should make reverse play legal for non-player observers).

If so then classic play from Crimson King, although he has left himself in a highly vulnerable position, as we all remember the saying "In Shepard's Bush you get the crook". Can those people on a central line interchange station take advantage?

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I invoke the Shared Commonwealth Entreaty for Player Substitution - when two players are in the Commonwealth, one shall be able to substitute the other, inheriting all advantages and disadvantages as play commences, as per the 1965 accord on Resource Management infers.
    Yeah, sorry, work's picking up and I think I've overcommitted myself! SUB!

ecco the dolphin on
    Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Speaking of which; have we seen Wildcat? Is he stuck in Nip?

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Come to think of it, he may well be. Last week's reconsidering of the Chomsley Translation suggested that any unmoved player who possesses no geometry and has not yet drunk tea may consider themselves to be temporarily in Nip without benefit or succor. And here's the kicker; he is under no obligation to inform the other players! Of course, this would all depend on what he's got in hand, but if this proves to be the case we should continue play as normal - though contrariwise, obviously, and I would strongly advise you all to take extra care of Northumberlanding.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Come to think of it, he may well be.

Surely that means Bogart must shunt to Kings Cross otherwise he risks a Knip loop? For people new to the game a Knip loop is when a player makes a move that places him in Knip and from which his only other moves would also place him in Knip on the next turn. If we were playing with the Victorian Carriage variations then that would actually be a strong move but as (under Bogart's own instance) we're playing with the Prendergast variation a double Knip like that would result in being played back to the start.

Of course, there is another option available to Bogart but will he be able to spot it?

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    Since Wildcat is MIA and there has been a player substitution under the Shared Commonwealth Entreaty for Player Substitution I will use the entitlement therefore available to me to invoke Tibrac's Law. Experienced players will recognise this inversion of the famed Crabit's Law from the 1984 World Championship final in Pyongyang, when Harvid Gupta-Rosebush used it to devastating effect on the 11 year old Samoan prodigy To-Mi Ku-Pa. I will, as I'm sure the alert of you have now realised, able to cross two lines with no danger of rebuffering myself. As my grandfather told me when he first taught me the basic rules of this glorious game: "Knip is no danger to an experienced player".

I therefore move to Goodge Street. Put that in your pipe and smoke it, Hutton.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well played Sir, well played. I had not considered that at all. I was thinking of the far more prosaic Wilderhurst Double to play a safe Green Park.

Goodge Street keeps you on the Northern Line which opens up many possibilities and is a powerful statement of intent but for me a bit of a double edged sword, in a four player game you would be in a commanding position but with 12 players I think the situation will be greatly changed by the time it comes round to your turn again.

Call me old fashioned if you like, but I favour a more classical static strategy based around positional control and blocking in Zone 1 and 2 rather than the free-wheeling Easter European style which goes for rapid Zone 5-to-3 strings.

Alistair Hutton on

• Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I say, that was quite the comeback Bogart.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Surely now some must seize the initiative and "play through" (sorry to use such a vulgar phrase) to break the impasse. A simple Oxford Circus would get things rolling.

This is what happens when so many high level exponents of the game try to play in a large, so many possibilities are available results it results in analysis paralysis. That is why I much prefer to play with Fotherington's Timer in operation.

Alistair Hutton on

• Options
    edited November 2009
    As I am jumping in mid-game, as it were, I just wanted to be sure what rule book people are using.

Myself, I have a beautiful hardback version of the 1939 rules as laid down by the International Mornington Crescent Society, but just in case people are using inferior variations, can we have some clarification?

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I believe most of the variations here should be in the 1939 volume, exceptions being Gustav Prendergast which went largely unnoticed until the '70s, and my own suggestion Ambleside Corrective, which first notably popped up in the 1962 Tibetan Mornington Crescent League Tournament, of all places.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I think that for Ambleside you will want the 1984 Corrected Tournament Edition and Crochet-Circle Updater, really.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The 1984 Updater? Don't be absurd, Wildcat. That old rag's notoriously inaccurate. Why, it was a misreading of the Updater that led to the legendary Andalusian Blunder of 1993. Ambleside should never be played without access to both P. J. Harmonleigh's Little Blue Book of Mornington and the eleventh volume of Sao Ren Shu's Mitigating Factors: Reification in Nelson Square. Granted, the latter is a little dense, but it's well worth it for any serious student of the game.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Reification in Nelson Square is pretty difficult to get a hold of these days, though. Oh, it was obscure at first, of course. One dead Sao Ren Shu later and everyone wants a copy. Admittedly, Shu did take the dramatic way out, and the station she chose to do it at did not lack for irony.

I do believe Arivia's up next!

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Seven Sisters, by way of the Selfridges New-Maintenance Fee.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You must have had a rough day, Arivqa, as that move could have potentially put you in Knip, unless the following player decided to ignore the potential benefits of calling the North Hamptonshire Ammendment into play.

But, I'm a nice chap, so I'll just take us to Hyde Park Corner.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    VulpineVulpine Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    And so thusly play must inevitably turn to Kilburn High Road, the necessary fee being waived by virtue of coming from a station under maintenance (c.f. Transforming the Tube, TfL, 2009, via the Paris Accord of 1882 - stations undergoing repair ignore movement penalties and act as local neighbours).

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    What to do, what to do...

My first instinct was Latimer Road, in order to minimise cross-street buffering and impede Bogart's ambulatory potential. However, a careful re-examination of simon's move in conjunction with the rulebooks I suspect him of possessing reveals that that's exactly what he wants me to do, as it opens up the West End for his pre-phase consumption. So instead, I am forced into Warwick Avenue. It doesn't gain me much, but it's the only legal move that doesn't elaborate a new outpost for any other player, and the four-corner bonus may come in handy later.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Have I missed my turn? This all feels a little irregular.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Have I missed my turn? This all feels a little irregular.

As the North Hamptonshire Ammendment has been passed on that means we're entering reaction phase play. Anyone can play at any time as long as their reaction parameters have been met, it means that game will become a bit more chaotic and of course, if you play when your parameters have not been met you will be classed as in Knip for the next 3 moves.

Things should start to get interesting now after all this initial cagey play.

Alistair Hutton on

• Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    am i to understand, as a spectator, that the North Hamptonshire Amendment supercedes the randomized play order presented earlier

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    am i to understand, as a spectator, that the North Hamptonshire Amendment supercedes the randomized play order presented earlier

That all depends on whether Arbourlee's Fourth Criterion has been met or exceeded, which of course depends on the predilections of the individual player.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    It's been exceeded, as of BobCesca's entry into the game.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    It's been exceeded, as of BobCesca's entry into the game.

Right, of course. I'll counterequivocate accordingly.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well, the North Hamptonshire Amendment has never been put into play with more than 5 players. Rules for larger groups are significantly more rare than those for a "perfect five". The only groups of more than 10 I can think are the Dublin International Championships of 1965 and the '03 Beijing Finals. Rules for these games specifically stated that the original randomized order was to stay in effect to help ease the effects of random play. Though, these games also didn't need a substitute player so early in the game.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    kuhlmeye wrote: »
    Well, the North Hamptonshire Amendment has never been put into play with more than 5 players. Rules for larger groups are significantly more rare than those for a "perfect five". The only groups of more than 10 I can think are the Dublin International Championships of 1965 and the '03 Beijing Finals. Rules for these games specifically stated that the original randomized order was to stay in effect to help ease the effects of random play. Though, these games also didn't need a substitute player so early in the game.

Yes, but we're not in Beijing, are we?

Crimson King on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

But according to the 2005 Continental Crescent Advisory Board's Strathclyde-Williams Annual Strictly Dividible Decree, we are in Dublin.

Burnage on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Burnage wrote: »

But according to the 2005 Continental Crescent Advisory Board's Strathclyde-Williams Annual Strictly Dividible Decree, we are in Dublin.

A common mistake. We were in Dublin but now we are in Camden Town - Bank branch.

For the observer, I have inserted myself as a non-loco player (that is, a player without a carriage). As we were originally in Dublin all previous moves were illegal, most players are now in Knip and I am in a powerful position.

Not unassailable of course. One recalls the famous play-by-mail game of 1916 undertaken by the national leaders during the Great War. Wilson had bee acting as moderator for the first two ears, noticed a non-loco opportunity and played what looked like a uncounterable move of Padington (the "Honey Bears" and "Peruvian" variations being in play and Asquith having played Bank). Wilhelm, ruminating long and hard on the new situation, spotted a counter and won the game, but of course, lost the war. An object lesson in geopolitics and the great game if ever there was one.

Alistair Hutton on

• Options
    edited November 2009
    But the board expand still holds, so potentially we could still loop around a Dublin location for a reverse back into a Central line. Interesting.

But this is all academic if nobody plays their next move. Er... Who is it again?

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Not me, I'm still in Knip as per the 1976 Widderschynnes Contrapunctal Assertion. Unfortunately.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I think it might be me given that we are not longer in Dublin.

I think I'll keep it fairly simple and go for Hammersmith, which I believe may actually mean that Wildcat stays in Knip for the foreseeable future. Sorry old chum.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I think it might be me given that we are not longer in Dublin.

I think I'll keep it fairly simple and go for Hammersmith, which I believe may actually mean that Wildcat stays in Knip for the foreseeable future. Sorry old chum.

Yes but as we aren't playing Humberside rules being in Knip doesn't automatically involve missing a turn.

Alistair Hutton on

• Options
    edited November 2009
    Incidentally, I hope everyone realises we are playing for second place given that BobCesca won the game back in post 56 with an excellently subtle rules reverb. Not seen one as good as that since the 1953 game at the semi-finals of the "All In" world championship in Dieppe.

Alistair Hutton on

• Options
    DaiusDaius Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Due to the '96 Disclosure of Mitigating Transportation Differential Clause, it is required for me to state now under penalty of state apprehension that on my next move I will be Taking an Overground Route.

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I sense shenanigans...

*hurries off to check the rule book*

BobCesca on