As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Dark [Thunderbolting] Avengers: Hoping the Next Leap is the Leap Back Home

• Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    OMG! What the hell is wrong with Juggernauts face?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    He's been drawn by Larry Stroman, who's best days as an artist seem to be behind him.

I'd actually love to see him illustrate some kind of horror book. Marvel Zombies or Midnight Sons or something, because I think his kind of deformed, blocky style would be perfect for that. But I'm not sure he's the best fit for superhero work anymore.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    U.S. Agent?

Full preview here.

Munch on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    if that isn't U.S. Agent I will be so cross with you

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm sorry, but I'm not digging the new T-Bolt team at all. The leftovers of the old sqaud do not interest me and the new members are not my type. Flicked through it in the shop looking for something to grab me but no such luck. Even the return of US Agent won't bring me back, what was once a proud defender of liberty reduced to a spoon cyberarm.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Solar wrote: »
    I have bad opinions.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Lexi Alexander will never love me.

Solar on
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I found the art in the issue to be absolutely delightful.
    Not much happened, but I dig Juggs and Ghost so it might be a fun ride.

muninn on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Solar wrote:
    hurp durp baaaaaaaa

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I got nothing.

Solar on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man, I would hope the leading minds of the Marvel Universe could come up with a better prosthetic than something used by the old man trucker in the 1987 classic ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING.

Also, I liked what Parker did in his first issue - felt more like the Busiek/Nicieza runs of old.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Solar wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but I'm not digging the new T-Bolt team at all. The leftovers of the old sqaud do not interest me and the new members are not my type. Flicked through it in the shop looking for something to grab me but no such luck. Even the return of US Agent won't bring me back, what was once a proud defender of liberty reduced to a spoon cyberarm.

I dont like it because the TBolts worked best under Zemo or Osborn, they're a bad group filled with bad guys. Having it lead by Cage, who Im not fond of in the first place, is not the best start for the series and it seems bad that Ghost seemed so neutered in that first showing after how much of a bad ass hes been lately.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    no see

I was calling you a dumb sheep solar

all ya'll's sheeple

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    dw I think you don't know what the point of the thunderbolts was from the getgo

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    no see

I was calling you a dumb sheep solar

all ya'll's sheeple

Well TLB, you gotta admit, for a book with Man-Thing and a possibility of USAgent it's not that great. I mean, Moonstone? Juggers? Crossbones? Please, I've no time for these losers.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    how you gonna smack talk The Juggernaut

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    From a long distance away!

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    how you gonna smack talk The Juggernaut

The Juggernaught has a cool power concept which always just ends up in him just being a really strong, tough dude, and his character is usually pretty boring, he just punches stuff because he can.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    solar you probably also hate The Rhino

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I've never really read much about the Rhino, though there was a bunch of scans I saw which had him getting out of prison and going out wtih this girl who worked a a diner. I think there was a new Rhino then who killed him but it was a pretty cool story anyway.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Solar you are just the worst person

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It sounds like you missed out on a great Rhino story, Solar - those Rhino issues of ASM were awesome.

Juggernaut's awesomeness is usually very writer-dependent - some folks write him well (Busiek or Stern, for example - heck, even DeFalco wrote some decent stories with the character during/post Acts of Vengeance in THOR), some folks don't.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    also obligatory Flowers for Rhino mention from Spider-Man's Tangled Web

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Look at his tie clip. Plus, didn't he work at some kind of superhuman/alien jail for a while? It's totally him.

I bet he's gonna be all, "Pfft, robo-limbs? If a hook and a peg were good enough for our boys in 'Nam, then goddammit they're good enough for me."
    Solar wrote:
    I'm sorry, but I'm not digging the new T-Bolt team at all. The leftovers of the old squad do not interest me and the new members are not my type. Flicked through it in the shop looking for something to grab me but no such luck. Even the return of US Agent won't bring me back, what was once a proud defender of liberty reduced to a spoon cyberarm.

---

The Juggernaught has a cool power concept which always just ends up in him just being a really strong, tough dude, and his character is usually pretty boring, he just punches stuff because he can.
    I'm not crazy about the current lineup, but I definitely think it has potential. It has representatives from the major eras of the Thunderbolts, most of the original guys are co-starring, and it looks like the prison's going to provide a lot of guest stars. I think that's Armadillo in the preview pages. I'd really like to see him on the team actually, as he has that whole conflicted anti-villain thing going on.

As for Juggernaut, he's a big name and an interesting personality. He was a good guy for a long time, and on the road to redemption, before WWH shunted him right back generic bad guy status. Maybe this book will give him a more definitive status quo.

My hope is that the team's constantly shifting, with new characters brought in as people are either pardoned through the program, or wash out. Actually, along with Armadillo, I'd like to see Sandman join the team at some point. Seems like he'd be a good fit.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    well he had a good reason to be evil after the events of wwh

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I wanna see Volcana, Shocker, Trapster, and Spot.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Did he? I thought Cytorrak was just all, "Dude, I'm not giving you the full power until you start being a dick again. So hop to it buddy." Then he got his power back, fought the Hulk, and told the X-Men not to come bug him anymore.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Did he even become a bad guy after WWH? I thought he just disappeared for a while, got kicked around by the Korean Captain Universe, then saved New York from an earthquake. Did something happen in between?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    well the only other time we see him is after bruce banner bombs his house and the whole captain universe deal in ASM

so really, people were just being dicks to him so he was evil back

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    How does a guy like Juggernaut get a home loan anyway? How does he even fit through a door frame?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    U.S. Agent?

Full preview here.

Dammit Jeff Parker, you son of a biscuit.

Can't you just let Walker go hang out with the Guardians of the Galaxy and be healed in like 5 seconds?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    Look at his tie clip. Plus, didn't he work at some kind of superhuman/alien jail for a while? It's totally him.

I bet he's gonna be all, "Pfft, robo-limbs? If a hook and a peg were good enough for our boys in 'Nam, then goddammit they're good enough for me."
    Solar wrote:
    I'm sorry, but I'm not digging the new T-Bolt team at all. The leftovers of the old squad do not interest me and the new members are not my type. Flicked through it in the shop looking for something to grab me but no such luck. Even the return of US Agent won't bring me back, what was once a proud defender of liberty reduced to a spoon cyberarm.

---

I'm not crazy about the current lineup, but I definitely think it has potential. It has representatives from the major eras of the Thunderbolts, most of the original guys are co-starring, and it looks like the prison's going to provide a lot of guest stars. I think that's Armadillo in the preview pages. I'd really like to see him on the team actually, as he has that whole conflicted anti-villain thing going on.

As for Juggernaut, he's a big name and an interesting personality. He was a good guy for a long time, and on the road to redemption, before WWH shunted him right back generic bad guy status. Maybe this book will give him a more definitive status quo.

My hope is that the team's constantly shifting, with new characters brought in as people are either pardoned through the program, or wash out. Actually, along with Armadillo, I'd like to see Sandman join the team at some point. Seems like he'd be a good fit.

See, for me the real appeal of the T-Bolts is that it includes a bunch of D-list characters nobodies seen for years and gives them a bit of face-time. For example in the Ellis arc where American Eagle, Steel Spider and Sepulchre were all the T-Bolt enemies, it's those kind of guys, except baddies, that I'd like to see in the T-Bolts, not big names like Juggernaut, and certainly not Moonstone who's a fucking sociopath and member of Osborn's inner circle. Why she isn't serving hard time I do not know. Plus Man-thing, he's not even a bad guy and there's other shit he needs to be doing, why is he in the T-Bolts at all?

I'm not saying the book will be badly written just that it doesn't manage to interest me anything like the arcs with Osborn directly in charge and then with the team as the Black Ops squad.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Karla said it herself you can't have the Thunderbolts without Moonstone.

It's the truth.

And she has a peanut allergy.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    But Ellis' Thunderbolts also featured big name characters and people who should have been serving hard time in total isolation.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    also there was the time where hawkeye lead them

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    How does a guy like Juggernaut get a home loan anyway? How does he even fit through a door frame?

He goes through it.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

He goes through it.

Everything is electronic these days. Granted he needs to rob a bank and get some pym particles to make a giant keyboard so he can use it with his Turkey sized fists.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    MarkGoodhartMarkGoodhart Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think the government would be a lot more interested in getting The Juggernaut rehabbed than ...like the Hypno Hustler or something. Might as well start off big to sell the little followers on the concept says I. Plus, you sport of want tosell books.

MarkGoodhart on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The government thinks its a good idea to throw Crossbones on the team because he'll hopefully drive people into the big strong arms of Cage.

It's worth not listening to them.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I would let Crossbones stay on the team only to repeatedly try and kill Steve every time we're in his vicinity.

TexiKen on