As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[OOC] Zombies in the Backyard

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Okay, need to clear something up. :P

These Survival Moments are challenges, so all of your actions need to be backed up with dice as if it was a normal one, even though its not a straightforward conflict.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    KiasKias Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Okay, need to clear something up. :P

These Survival Moments are challenges, so all of your actions need to be backed up with dice as if it was a normal one, even though its not a straightforward conflict.

Ok, so since I am trying to force my way into the ice rink, I went straight to Body+Will. Is that right?

*edit* Also, since its Susan in there, I add in relationship dice, right? Should I go ahead and raise or just put up the roll?

Kias on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited November 2009
    Please post your rolls.

And yes, for physical you'll want Body+Will, and you can add relationship dice for Susan.

And Mike, if you could please post your roll, that'd be helpful!

InkSplat on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Nitpick - physical is Body+Heart! If you're fighting someone, it's Body+Will, but all other physical interactions where you're not specifically out to hurt someone are Body+Heart.

edit: yes i am going to watch this game like a hawk

a sparrow hawk

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Whoops, that's right. Thanks simon. I'm posting while chatting with family. :P

InkSplat on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Please post your rolls.

And yes, for physical you'll want Body+Will, and you can add relationship dice for Susan.

And Mike, if you could please post your roll, that'd be helpful!

Oh, okay, that wasn't a roll. I was under the impression that we used the dice that were shown at the bottom of the spoiler to raise/see. That will come in just a minute.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Alright, from now on, if anyone has any questions about how the rules work, please ask. :P

The dice I posted are what you're fighting against.

You get to roll dice based on what you're doing/what you're involving in the task. And then you use those die to raise/see.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Jeez, thanks for rolling well against me...So can I run out and shove the parents away, using Body+Heart? And there's no possible way for me to dodge, I will have to take the blow because I can't beat a 14 in dice with anything...And if I give in, that would mean the little girl would die, right?

EDIT: If I shove the parents away using body+heart, and I have to take the blow, would that mean perhaps getting wounded by the zombies?

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    simonwolf wrote: »

a sparrow hawk

With a cool hat! And how will its outfit change over the course of the weeks? No one knows!

Since the dice end up being the same, I just changed the stats next to my roll instead of re-rolling. I will put up the roll here as well to make it easier to see apart from my char sheet:

Body+Heart+Relationship= [5,6,1,6,4,4,1]

Now do I raise my survival moment, create a reaction in response to my scene and raise it, or wait for you to set things up and 'see' your dice roll?

*edit* Sorry, didnt see other thread :p

Kias on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So what would be the necessary roll for "looking out the front door"? :U

interrobang on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Kias wrote: »
    With a cool hat! And how will its outfit change over the course of the weeks? No one knows!

I'm going to be starting up a game set in Vietnam later this week/early next week, so get ready for a Marine sparrow. From the halls of Montezuma, etc.
    Kias wrote: »
    Now do I raise my survival moment, create a reaction in response to my scene and raise it, or wait for you to set things up and 'see' your dice roll?

As soon as you do your See, you do your Raise, dice and all. Set up what you do to Raise, how you're pushing the situation! Then the GM will do his See, continue on to his Raise, etc. You're only ever in control of your character, so just say what your guy does, where he goes - the GM will react accordingly.
    So what would be the necessary roll for "looking out the front door"? :U

Physical! That'd be Body+Heart.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So once I see, I can use different dice to Raise and the GM has to use different dice to See my Raise, correct? Even if I take the blow, I can Raise again?

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So

Body+Heart: 5d6 → [4,6,2,5,6]

Them's my numbers. InkSplat's initial Raise was 10 (5,5) so I'd have to exceed that with two of the dice from my pool?

interrobang on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So once I see, I can use different dice to Raise and the GM has to use different dice to See my Raise, correct? Even if I take the blow, I can Raise again?

Once you use a dice in a See, Raise, or Taking The Blow, it's gone from your pool forever. Taking the Blow doesn't end the conflict, it just means you can't deflect that Raise, and have to accept the terms of it - if the Raise said you get shot, then you get shot. If it says you have to leave town, then your character has to leave town. If you can still continue the conflict after taking the blow, then you get to Raise again!

The exception to rule is Reversing The Blow, where you can See the opponent's Raise with a single dice. In that case, you get to carry over the dice to your next Raise/See.

Listen, I'm taking over this game, you're all cowboys now

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Meet or exceed in 2 dice, if you want to dodge, then you Raise with 2 dice, I think and the gm will See and then Raise. Get it?

EDIT; So basically, I will have to take the blow and let the girl die, or give in and let the girl die...Since there is no way I can dodge...And if I take the blow, I'm assuming that means my fear gets the best of me, but would that be the end of the challenge or would I get to Raise?

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ok, my problem was I didn't see the [IC] thread :p

I was looking all over this thread to try to find the numbers Ink said he posted. I have been reading Simon's Dogs in the Vineyard thread, so I think I have the right idea. Let me know how it looks. I will spend more time on the details of my actions once I am sure I get the mechanics.

Kias on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited November 2009
    I wish Inksplat was still around here as I'd like to get my first post up.

EDIT: After checking out the Dogs In The Vineyard thread, I think I know what to do, and it looks like taking the blow wouldn't end the encounter. I have an idea and am going to run with it and see what happens.

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    What do you need to know, Cheesey, I can probably answer your questions.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    simonwolf wrote: »
    What do you need to know, Cheesey, I can probably answer your questions.

Can multiple abilities/belongings be used in a single See/raise round or only one per round?

Kias on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited November 2009
    That's mostly up to the GM to decide, honestly!

My general rule (in my games, Ink might do things differently) is that you can use one trait/item for every push you make that involves dice. So you can use one in a See, one in a Raise. Of course, I make exceptions - if you write a really good post explaining how you managed to pull two or more things into one Raise, then that'd be fine. Likewise, if it's readily apparent how you could do it (like using your "I'm a good shot" trait with your gun as an item), it should be okay.

Again, Ink might do things differently! But it doesn't matter, this is my game now anyway

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I think I got the hang of it...Sorta. Let me know if my post needs changing. Also, this is awesome.

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I think I got the hang of it...Sorta. Let me know if my post needs changing. Also, this is awesome.

Awesome indeed!

Though I think Ink is trying to kill us right out of the gate! That 14 for your first raise was rough, and I can already see I messed up with my dice, setting myself up for a "Return the blow." That's why I asked about abilites, we may have to get creative to survive our intro 8-)

Kias on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited November 2009
    Truly, the Dormitory Hallway is the deadliest of foes.

interrobang on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well, we know we will survive, though whether we succeed at our goal or not is up in the air. Yeah, 14 was a bit rough, but it's cool. He's going to make us work for it, which is a good thing. I will likely escalate into fistfighting soon.

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Okay, I'll just say I do things the same way as Simon, so what he said definitely works with the traits and such.

Also, Simon, feel free to answer any questions that come up, given that, like I said, I'm not able to be around tons. :P

And yes, you'll all survive--that's why you have a situation where you can either succeed or fail that isn't death.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Okay, so now I have to make a raise? I am a little lost. :\

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Okay, Mike, here is how "the deal" works!

At the start of the conflict, you roll dice appropriate to what kind of actions you'll be taking to win the conflict. These dice form up your dice pool, which you'll be pulling dice out of and putting dice into in order to win.

When the GM (or anyone else) makes a Raise directed at you with dice from their pool, you have four options: See, Take The Blow, Reverse the Blow, or Give. See means you put forward two dice worth enough to match or beat the opponent's Raise, and you deflect or defend against their Raise. Taking the Blow, you use three or more dice to match/beat - you take Fallout equal to the amount of dice you used, in a size appropriate (GM will usually let you know). Reverse the Blow, you match or beat with a single dice - you turn their attack against them, somehow, and carry that dice into your next See/Raise.

Oh, and if you Give (because you're out of dice, the risks are getting too big, etc), you automatically lose the conflict, and face up to whatever the stakes were. Fallout is rolled after a person Gives, and life goes on.

When you've done anything except Give, it becomes your turn to Raise! Take two dice from your pool and put them forward, like the GM did to begin with. He'll See/Take/Reverse/Give, and the game goes on.

Rolling traits and such, I said earlier, so go back and read that if'n you need some new dice.

Signed,
    Simon, your new GM

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Okay, this is making more sense now.

So, out of those dice that I just rolled, I pick what I want to use to match up against Ink's Raise of 8.

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yes. You'd take two dice to at least match my 8--that would let you "block or dodge" essentially. Then you can Raise with 2 more dice in a sort of "attack" which I will then need to See with my own dice.

Also, I need a Raise from Interrobang, and cheeseliker has a few more dice at his disposal he can roll, as explained in the IC thread.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    That's the ticket! Once you've done that, you do the same thing again, except this time you're on the offensive.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Alright, cool. I'm going to go in and edit my prior post.

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I think I understand how this works now. Is it alright if I edit my See dice to just match your 10, instead of surpassing it, and save that 6 for later? If not, that's okay too - will teach me to pay better attention.

interrobang on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I think I understand how this works now. Is it alright if I edit my See dice to just match your 10, instead of surpassing it, and save that 6 for later? If not, that's okay too - will teach me to pay better attention.

Absolutely. Fix whatever you'd like. This opening bit is all about learning.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Okay, edit is done.

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Edit is done also.

interrobang on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Alright. Edited Sydney and Barclay's stuff into my last post.

Note that, as an example, if Sydney "Gives" that she doesn't get eaten or anything--she just basically gives up on helping anyone else and gets the hell out of Dodge.

Aaand now I'm off to bed! Happy Zombiesgiving, everyone! :P

InkSplat on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    No, don't go to bed, it's just getting interesting! Man, Jack is going to have some fallout after this...

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Happy zombies-giving Ink!

Oh wow, Susan may just be nommed. Still, I don't want to give up on her so easily.

So, in Vince's current situation, could I escalate on the raise to include my acuity? For example, I change the arena by realizing I can't brute strength my way in alone and need to think this through (I'm thinking of Jimmying open the lock now that the handle is off or, as a back up plan, ramming the zamboni door with my car :P ). Would escalating give the "situation" (the pool against me) more dice?

Kias on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited November 2009
    It doesn't look like I have much choice except to Give!

yeaaah fallout time

interrobang on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    think think think think think

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg