As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Umihara Kawase DS: Now with a 3rd dimension!

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    It would be really nice to get the 3DS game. They've certainly brought over weirder games, and less popular ones. And some of those were RPGs that needed tons of translations, too.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    If XSeed released it I would finally forgive them for not giving us Retro Game Challenge 2.

• Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    Makes me really happy to see this thread on the first page again, and even happier to see a new game announced.

Pretty depressing to think I won't be able to play it, but here's hoping!

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    I'm gonna give those wacky weeaboo companies three years to the date of this game's launch to bring it over. If it hasn't made it by then I import a 3DS and the game.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    I want it to be a retail release so I can get Inoko MAX from Game Center CX to sign it again.

• Options
    Man, this would make a great, cheap DL only game. If that's the only way I could get it.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Oh man, are we finally going to get to kill that giant tadpole? For too long has he been a thorn in our sides. Now if I can just kill those seahorses....

• Options
    The real good news is that this game has a publisher who has actually now put out a game in the west/worked with a company who brings out games to the west.

• Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    Very excited!

• Options
    That being said I'll give it two years and if it's not out here by then I'll import a 3DS.

• Options
    All we can do is hope.

I really don't want to import a 3DS, but I'd like to play this. And Senran Kagura.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    You've seen the box art for it, right? Certainly gets me all excited! :winky:

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Next you're going to tell me her bust size expanded yet again.
    It did!

Also apparently the other characters are like different difficulty settings. Blond girl gets checkpoints, Blue haired girl gets the ability to slow down time, no reports on what either of the main characters (younger or older) does.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    http://www.siliconera.com/2013/04/08/farewell-umihara-kawase-is-planned-for-overseas-release/

So was the first PSP release before complications arose. Thankfully that game suuuuuuucked.

• Options
    I am so ready. Hopefully it pops up at E3.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    My boobies body is ready.

Seriously though, it's great to see companies like Agatsuma bring fun, quirky Japanese things like this overseas; Code of Princess was a pleasant surprise, so I hope Umi gets a warm welcome.

• Options
    I'm really hoping this doesn't fall through and we get it. I can't wait to get to the last levels and be unable to beat them without continuing because they're ridiculous.

• Options
    The reason the last one fell through as far I've worked out is that the original staff (who didn't contribute a lick to the awful PSP version) stirred a legal shit fit about the rights to the game.

Fun fact: Every single version of this game has been developed and published by a different company!

• Options
    Latest promotional movie for Nintendo 3DS software "back river belly sea goodbye".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eu01ZfCL1QY

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    OH GOD SHE'S SO DAMN CUTE- errr, I mean, this is great news. Kudos once again to Agatsuma for making this possible, and I'll gladly pick it up once it becomes available because I enjoy a good puzzle-platformer.

• Options
    Oh man, finally. I should sit down and fiddle with my imported DS version for a while to prepare.

I wonder if this will be eShop only, though.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    eshop only.

• Options
    Oh, I see it at the bottom now. Well, I figured as much.

Let's just hope they price it appropriately, since there's not exactly an in depth story mode to translate or voices to dub.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Standard price for eshop only has been 30 bucks so far: Unchained Blades and Ace Attorney 5 both launched this year at that price.

The only one that might try for 40 is next month's Senran Kagura Burst but even then I doubt it.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I don't think this will command $30. Hoping for $20.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    It's worth about a hundred to me. Actually considering I was going to import a 3DS with this and BD:FF if they hadn't been announced this year it saved me what, almost 300 after import fees and taxes and the higher cost of Japanese games?

30 is fair, 25 is great and 20 would be outstanding.

• Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d2Q-K-zyHE

By the end of the month in the US.

• Options
    It might not be a real looker, but the Bionic Commando fan in me fell for this hook, line, and sinker *cue groans and boos*. Fun things are fun.

• Options
  • Options
    You can buy it now! Tonight I'm going to hook all the things.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Yep, it's out for $30 like they said. They've changed one mechanic of the game in that now you choose the stage you want to play and you progress through them. There's 50 total. If you die it takes you back to the stage select, and backpacks are for unlocks now. There's a survival mode you unlock though which I think plays like the old games. Game is pretty hard too, it throws ice at you in level 4 and spikes soon after. If you can't figure out how to change characters don't worry. It's dumb. You go to profile and hit L/R. Whatever character is on the top screen is who you play as. Umihara (Season) plays remixes of the old songs, so if you want to hear those play as her. I don't think timecop girl is useful unless you want to perfect your frames on certain jumps, but checkpoints with the other girl are useful. Circle pad is also not useable by default, so you need to turn that on if you want to use it.

Also if anybody wants to make a new thread for it for scores or whatever go ahead, this thread is years old at this point and it was for a game that isn't even in print anymore.

• Options
    Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    It's on sale for 20 right now.

• Options
    I'd tell all of my friends, but none of them will listen to my ramblings about the Bionic Commando fishing game.

I'm currently stuck on two levels and can't progress, or I'd be playing it more. I can't figure out how to beat the first giant fish boss. The only other exit I haven't unlocked so far is above me but everything is slick and unhookable, so I have no idea how to get up there.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    The tadpole that drops frogs from previous games? He's dumb, you need to get on the left side of him and then he'll run into the wall and drop one of those wash basin things on his head. Then you have to get back over him and repeat, with more frogs each time. I think he does two walks to the right and on the third he jumps. That's when you get under him. There's a crab boss later on that sucks too. You have to grab the boxes above, hang on them without hitting the crab, and then you drop oranges on his head. The boss fights are terrible. As for the other level you're on I can't remember it. Is it the one where it's an icy slope with a block you can hook above it, but if you drop on the ice you slide off? Because for those situations you need to essentially throw yourself at the best angle possible with the most speed possible, and you'll run up the ice a bit. Sometimes you can do that with a trick you should learn now because I think you need it for later levels. Hook the ground as close to edge you want to jump off as possible, and then run to the opposite side. Reel in until you can grab the ledge. Not too much though or it won't work. Now reel yourself in the rest of the way. What will happen is you'll let go, but because you have some slack you'll bounce up. You're reeling in though, so you'll go over the corner and then all your speed catches up with you and you just shoot forward really fast. You can make huge jumps that way.

Currently I'm stuck on some nonsense backpack where I have to somehow get on top of a huge platform without stepping on it (Ice on the side I have to climb of course) because it sinks and I have to get on the ice to jump to the ice with the backpack, and the exit I need to get is way on the other side of its level and all I have is a vertical trampoline. I think I have to pendulum swing into the trampoline and go forward really far, but how you're supposed to do that is beyond me. I cannot figure it out at all.

Gilder on
  • Options
    Yeah, I figured out the thing would fall on him, but I couldn't figure out how to get him to run at me again. I might have tried crossing back to the right to start over and gotten killed, but I'll give it another shot later.

The level I'm stuck on...you can climb some ladders up immediately, and you're supposed to run and slide on some ice and make a long jump to the right. Then you get on a platform and lowers down to the first exit. But, right above the icy ground, I can see a platform with a backpack and exit. But the underneath and sides are ice, and there's nowhere I can get above or next to it, except for the area with the ladders to the far right. There's no way I can jump from that to the floating platform, and I can't go anywhere but down once I'm on the icy platforms below it, so...

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    I can't remember that level by memory at all, can you give me the level number? I have everything up until like 25 or so so I should have that one and if I see it again I'll remember how you get it.

• Options
    I just beat that boss, now that I knew what to do. Thanks! I'm stuck on 7 and 17 apparently.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Okay so 17 is one of the ones I was thinking of before. That one's easy once you get past the beginning. The problem is making the big jump, because it's not intuitive. You need to hook on the conveyor, go up, and then all the way right. From there tap left to face that direction, jump, and then move. I think you need to jump for this to work, it gives you momentum for like 2 more frames of distance or something. Near the top/middle of the slope jump and shoot the lure to the left. After a few attempts you'll just barely make it. It's easy from there, just do a jumping diagonal shot when standing near the door and you'll grab the backpack.

For 7 you just proceed normally like you were going to the exit for 8. Do the ice run and make that first jump to the right. On that platform you need to jump again. There's a very slight ice incline on that platform. That kills all your momentum. You need to jump over that and then jump again. You'll have all your speed so you can make the jump to the backpack. There's ground you can grab onto there, so just use that and you'll go up and to the left, and then it's just a big pendulum swing to the door.

Gilder on