As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

AvP 2010 - Demo is out, Wangland-Yutani Steam Group now active

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited February 2010
    I'm not going to sit here and say "that review is bullshit! he clearly liked the game! what the fuck does he know about his own opinion?!". He didn't like it, that's fine. He made what seem like some very valid points and there's no reason to attack him for them when none of us have played the game.

I have to say that I'm in the camp that believes that being able to block an alien as a marine is a bit silly.

Tube on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Kevin VanOrd gave it a 5.5?

BLAP BLAP BLAP BLAP

august on
  • Options
    AshdrakeAshdrake Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    IGN UK review was much kinder

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/106/1068446p1.html

I have played the avp demo more than the total time I played mw2. I have not had this much fun with a shooter in years. The controllers are awesome and the rock/paper/scissors combat is awesome.

Ashdrake on
    I hunt monsters because I need weapons. I need weapons because I hunt monsters.
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm getting it on 360, but still, I found the demo very fun and some of the points he's making are directly contradictory to my own experience.

Don't get me wrong, he's a professional reviewer, and I'm not bashing the guy directly. I just happen to disagree with some of his statements. Bottom line, I had a great time with the demo, I can appreciate the design decisions they made in this game, and I'm still gonna buy it this week.

I'll be playing multiplayer most of the time anyway. I'll go through the campaigns once to unlock some skins, and promptly never touch it again because I'll be busy gutting fools on xbl.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ashdrake wrote: »

I have played the avp demo more than the total time I played mw2. I have not had this much fun with a shooter in years. The controllers are awesome and the rock/paper/scissors combat is awesome.

I'm pretty much in the same boat.

It starting to sound like AvP might be a love it or hate it game.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Once I turned off Vsync, I thought the game performed fine. The only thing that was bad about it was the full on retarded decision to display FFA deathmatch instead of species deathmatch for the demo's game mode. Also, the marine being able to melee Alien's thing as well. Whacking an alien with your gun should result in the Alien patting you condescendingly on the head before putting his tail through your chest.

Metallikat on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Well, a few of his complaints, such as the bad level design and the bad AI, fit with AVP1, so there may be something in that review.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Foefaller wrote: »

Called it.
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I think this is going to be the most polarizing game of the year... Like a new Mirror's Edge, or something.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    Well, a few of his complaints, such as the bad level design and the bad AI, fit with AVP1, so there may be something in that review.

Yeah I think the guy's probably pretty on target. In contrast to the GI review where the dude complained about the presence of the motion sensor.

august on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm not going to read them, but do the negative reviews focus mostly on single or multiplayer?

I like the demo enough and found the PC version cheap enough that I think I'd be perfectly happy with it even if I never touched the single player.

Peewi on
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Also, the line about the incessant beeping of the motion tracker is goddamn stupid. It's not very loud or shrill, just a sort of dull blip sound when nothing's around. And it's amazingly atmospheric. Walking slowly along, then hearing the tell tale sound of movement on your tracker and trying to spin around and see where it's coming from. A complaint like that tells me that a lot of the bad score derives from the guys personal bias.

Metallikat on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I played the full version on the weekend (go go early releases) and it is no where near a 5.5 game. Not perfect marks, but easily a high 8 range, maybe mid 7 if you didnt like it. There are no glaring flaws, it's pretty enough, captures a lot of the feel of the franchise and fucking Survivor mode (human vs alien waves) is almost worth buying the thing for alone. Cant comment on multi since I only played demo of it (no servers for full version up yet), but Id still buy it based on the single player options alone and can say taht a 5.5 review is complete bullshit. Probably upset they didnt give hima free collectors edition or some shit.

KVW on
  • Options
    Operator-COperator-C Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Foefaller wrote: »

Called it.
    I think this is going to be the most polarizing game of the year... Like a new Mirror's Edge, or something.

Weren't the last two AvP games polarizing, too?

Operator-C on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Operator-C wrote: »
    Weren't the last two AvP games polarizing, too?

I think the original was pretty widely respected. Opinion on the second game was split into two groups; people who thought it was terrible and people who were wrong.

Tube on
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Tomorrow morning I begin downloading it on steam, and shortly after we shall see. But I thoroughly enjoyed the demo and like someone else said, I've played it as much as MW2 if not more, and DM is the worst game mode in AVP, so that says a lot. Perhaps it will be love it or hate it, seems that way right now.

Urian on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, to be fair I never play multiplayer anything. Any time I say that I didn't like a game go ahead and assume that the multiplayer is excused. I don't even play Left 4 Dead multiplayer. I played Team Fortress 2 single player. For those who haven't played it, that means I played the tutorial.

Tube on
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Meh, no matter the reviews i'm still going to be going at midnight to the walmarts to see if i can pick it up.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    jdarksun wrote: »
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    Yup, and I believe that. But I'm mainly looking to recreate the awesome MP from AvP1 and 2.

If this game gets close to emulating the awesome AvP2 multiplayer that I'm playing now, I'll have lots of fun

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    PacifistPacifist Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Reviewers are a joke these days. They all spout the same formulaic shit using long syllabic words that aren't nearly as intelligent as they think they are. I know everything I need to know from the demo and the multiplayer alone is enough to make me buy the game.

These days with the wealth of streaming video around if you don't know what a game is going to play like from a gameplay video then maybe you're the type of person who needs a review.

Pacifist on
    XBL: Pacifist NJ
  • Options
    Raoulduke20Raoulduke20 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I have no problem with reviews. I understand they are largely subjective but they often enough get at real issues with games. Saying reviewing games is pointless is the same as saying reviewing anything is pointless. Sometimes a lot of people don't like games that you do like, it happens.

Raoulduke20 on
    signatureih.jpg
  • Options
    AshdrakeAshdrake Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Pacifist wrote: »
    Reviewers are a joke these days. They are spout the same formulaic shit using long syllabic words that aren't nearly as intelligent as they think they are. I know everything I need to know from the demo and the multiplayer alone is enough to make me buy the game.

These days with the wealth of streaming video around if you don't know what a game is going to play like from a gameplay video then maybe you're the type of person who needs a review.

Reviews are not a joke. I like a healthy community for the game to thrive in. 5.5 reviews mean less folks buying the game. I want lots of people to experaince my tail love.

Ashdrake on
    I hunt monsters because I need weapons. I need weapons because I hunt monsters.
  • Options
    TurboGuardTurboGuard Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Game gets 9.0+: "Told you this was a good game! Anyone who says otherwise is dumb!"

Game gets <7.0: "Game reviews are bullshit. Don't listen to them."

TurboGuard on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'll defend most reviews being total shit any day.

Pacifist on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I don't read reviews so I wouldn't know. They're not a form of criticism that I find particularly useful, as I buy games based on whether they sound interesting to me. Sometimes that leads to duds, sometimes to diamonds. That doesn't make reviews "shitty", it makes them "not to my taste". I've never felt the need to get super duper angry at some guy for not liking the game I like. On the occasions that I do read reviews and get annoyed with them, it's less to do with the score and more (as with the game informer review) with how bafflingly badly written some of them are.

Tube on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Reviewers are a joke these days. They all spout the same formulaic shit using long syllabic words that aren't nearly as intelligent as they think they are. I know everything I need to know from the demo and the multiplayer alone is enough to make me buy the game.

I'd say that making your choice only on trailers/videos is also foolish. The excitement provided by videos is largely dependent on the strength of the marketing team. Videos put out by the company won't show you bland repetitive level design, bad controls, gamebreaking bugs or general lack of polish.

Maybe you are a kind of a sheep if you base your purchase of a game solely on videos crafted by marketing people.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    OHMYGODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD someone brought out the "s" word.

Anyway, Metacritic is taken far too seriously in the gaming world. Now publishers are starting to give bonuses to companies that make "good" games and how is that decided? Via Metacritic score. It's why G4 had Metacritic remove all of their rankings because they felt that their 2/5 is not equivalent to a 40, and that they were actually hurting game developers by giving their honest opinions.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So, having replayed the demo, I'm wary about the PC version again. If I buy it, and the only way for me to actually be able to play it is to turn off my soundcard in the BIOS, I will kill someone

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    Destiny's DesireDestiny's Desire __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    'I am a babby who cant control anything more complex than Call of Duty' - Games Journalism, 2010

Destiny's Desire on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Fireflash wrote: »
    I'd say that making your choice only on trailers/videos is also foolish. The excitement provided by videos is largely dependent on the strength of the marketing team. Videos put out by the company won't show you bland repetitive level design, bad controls, gamebreaking bugs or general lack of polish.

Maybe you are a kind of a sheep if you base your purchase of a game solely on videos crafted by marketing people.

Between Giantbomb and Gametrailers, there's plenty of non-marketing game footage for big games to show you what the gameplay is like. I do this too - reviews generally don't tell me anything helpful in deciding if I will like the game. Some of the games in my collection have been average or even bad going by even aggregate reviews. One of my favorite games this gen? HAWX. I had an absolute blast going through the campaign co-op. It's metacritic score is 73, or average.

I bought it because I played the demo and watched some gameplay footage, and liked what I saw.

edit - just looking at 2 reviews from big name review sites for HAWX on metacritic shows what's wrong with game reviews.
    1UP
    The online play -- particularly co-op -- gives HAWX significant replayability. Everything from the picture-perfect planes to the stunning real world environments looks great, even after multiple passes.

GameSpot
    This arcade-style aerial-combat game has plenty to offer those flying solo, but it doesn't offer much in the way of competitive multiplayer content.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So, I can't help but be curious...

what is the "sexuality" that the rating says this game has? Do the marines somehow decide they have time to get naked?

*EDIT*
    Suggestive Themes, my bad. Still.

Remington on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Remington wrote: »
    So, I can't help but be curious...

what is the "sexuality" that the rating says this game has? Do the marines somehow decide they have time to get naked?

*EDIT*
    Suggestive Themes, my bad. Still.

Well, it could be the whole 'aliens are rape monsters' thing.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »

Between Giantbomb and Gametrailers, there's plenty of non-marketing game footage for big games to show you what the gameplay is like. I do this too - reviews generally don't tell me anything helpful in deciding if I will like the game. Some of the games in my collection have been average or even bad going by even aggregate reviews. One of my favorite games this gen? HAWX. I had an absolute blast going through the campaign co-op. It's metacritic score is 73, or average.

I bought it because I played the demo and watched some gameplay footage, and liked what I saw.

edit - just looking at 2 reviews from big name review sites for HAWX on metacritic shows what's wrong with game reviews.
    1UP
    The online play -- particularly co-op -- gives HAWX significant replayability. Everything from the picture-perfect planes to the stunning real world environments looks great, even after multiple passes.

GameSpot
    This arcade-style aerial-combat game has plenty to offer those flying solo, but it doesn't offer much in the way of competitive multiplayer content.

It's called an opinion. Remember that all reviews boil down to one guy getting paid to say what he thinks about a game. Guy A likes the multiplayer, but Guy B may hate it

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    1UP

GameSpot

I don't understand. What's wrong with that? The two reviewers had differing opinions on the re-playability of a game.

Operator-C on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    1UP

GameSpot

I don't understand. What's wrong with that? The two reviewers had differing opinions on the re-playability of a game.

I think it does a good job of illustrating why basing your game-buying decision on a review is a bad idea.

Remington on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    1UP

GameSpot

Well, they're giving conflicting opinions on the multiplayer, to the point that it sounds like they're reviewing different games. It's like 'there's lots of multiplayer content' and 'there's hardly any multiplayer content'. Which is it?

-Loki- on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    1UP

GameSpot

I think it does a good job of illustrating why basing your game-buying decision on a review is a bad idea.

Pretty much. There is a demo of AvP out and I suggest you play it. If you like it then you will like the final game since the demo is of an old build. If you didn't like the demo you wouldn't like the game.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm in the camp that will usually give reviewers enough credit to pick out duds. While I'm cynical enough to say they'll lick up anything with more than two A's attached to it, I'm not so cynical to expect them to enjoy the worst of the worst (if it isn't AAA). They warned me about TimeShift, but I did not listen. They warned me about BlackSite, and I paid no mind.

Now they warn me about AVP? Opinions be damned, I'll ignore them again!

Even though they were right about how the above mentioned games just sucked.

They only fault I've found with the multiplayer is that I can't play well. When folks complain about controls, I often find they just suck at it, much like myself. I've seen good enough players to recognize that if you get the controls working, you can do real cool things with the game.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    1UP

GameSpot

I can definitely agree with that. Unless you're in-tune with a particular reviewer's tastes, I wouldn't rely too much on another person's opinion about a game. A round of reviews, a demo or two, and streamed videos can offer an approximation of how well you might like a game, but nothing is as definitive as playing the game yourself.
    Well, they're giving conflicting opinions on the multiplayer, to the point that it sounds like they're reviewing different games. It's like 'there's lots of multiplayer content' and 'there's hardly any multiplayer content'. Which is it?

Conflicting opinions are okay, though. These are subjective views, not facts, they're dealing in. "Which is it?" coincides with Remington's point about reviews, but it doesn't mean the reviews are inherently wrong or incorrect.

Operator-C on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I didn't say trailers/videos. I said gameplay video. There is a specific difference between a video that's tweaked and edited to make the game look more enticing and actual footage of how the game plays.

But of course just video may not be enough, so there's screenshots, feature lists and demos. The review itself is rarely informative or helpful in coming up with your own opinion. All you get is how some random guy that OD's on video games every day and how he experienced the game.

I don't know, I've just never seen a review help me make up my mind on a video game. I'm sure many others have.

Pacifist on
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I like checking out reviews, but I never solely base a purchase on them. I mean for the love of god, i enjoy hunting and fishing games and they never get a decent review anymore.

This game has always been a no brainer for me. Hence why I'll truck my ass off at midnight to see if I can get my grubby claws on a copy.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
This discussion has been closed.