As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

360a Games of The Year: Day 5 (Shooters)

2»

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My last Burnout before Revenge was 2, so I was pretty surprised by the aggressive focus of Revenge. It totally rubbed me the wrong way, as did the rubber band AI and the AI's ability to boost at will. It's visceral and intense, but the game doesn't play by the same rules that you do. And that is a huge mistake in my book. So yeah, I thought Burnout Revenge was shitty.

TD:U, on the other hand, was a breath of fresh air. The handling could use some massaging, but I got used to it. The giant island was a great idea, and player progression is paced very well, which is usually a huge issue for sandbox games. It usually looks great, and it gets pretty damn difficult, especially for my arcade racing tastes. But it's never cheap. TD:U is good stuff.

Renzo on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2007
    And on to Day 3...

Role Playing Games

Most people don't even realize that four RPGs came out for the 360 this past year. Sure, one was an expansion to a previous-gen MMO and one was a sequel to a previous-gen MMO, but there are some choices on the list.

Not that most of you will choose anything other than the blatantly obvious choice. but they ARE there.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oblivion gets my vote.

To be honest so far I am enjoying Enchanted Arms more than I did Oblivion.

My faults with Oblvion lied more in the fact that I hated how everything levelled up with me ... it was a hate I couldn't get over. I want to level up and come back to low level areas and slaughter those who dared oppose me when I was a lower level.

Sadly such a thing was not possible in Oblivion and it made me feel like I was never actually accomplishing anything.

That said I can appreciate everything else that's great about the game even if it wasn't my cup of tea.

Enchanted Arms on the other hand seems to be a decent JRPG but not one that does anything enormously differently. Even so I'm still enjoying it more.

Bamelin on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    syndalis wrote:
    Hardtarget wrote:
    I can't believe nobody voted for Tiger Woods 07.

You guys are all DEAD to me.
    You totally should have voted then. ;)

Still lots of categories to make your voice heard, man.

I totally have not been on my comp much lately, but i'm back now :)

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    GOTY All genres for the 360 is easily Viva Pinata, a game very few people will ever play.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • SnazelSnazel Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I want to level up and come back to low level areas and slaughter those who dared oppose me when I was a lower level. Sadly such a thing was not possible in Oblivion and it made me feel like I was never actually accomplishing anything.

I loved this comment, because I realize I was no longer the only boy on Earth who felt this way. I am no longer Jack Kirby's Kamandi, thank you.

I got crucified by my friends when I confessed I disliked Oblivion. Then I was almost cast out like some kind of leper when I confess I traded the thing in for...wait for it...

Viva Pinata.

Yes, I enjoyed VP more and yes, I still call myself a roleplayer. Some have wondered how I can live being so shameful and useless. It's a secret I refuse to tell.

I hate golf, I liked the Tiger Woods game, although not enough to buy it. I hated Madden this year and I think EA Sports is dying slowly on the inside. I loved the FIFA games this year, and was delighted to see one year-end poll highlight the cool music that came with FIFA '07. It really did feature a lot of great tracks.

Snazel on
    Snazel.png
  • Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Snazel wrote:
    I want to level up and come back to low level areas and slaughter those who dared oppose me when I was a lower level. Sadly such a thing was not possible in Oblivion and it made me feel like I was never actually accomplishing anything.

I loved this comment, because I realize I was no longer the only boy on Earth who felt this way. I am no longer Jack Kirby's Kamandi, thank you.

I got crucified by my friends when I confessed I disliked Oblivion. Then I was almost cast out like some kind of leper when I confess I traded the thing in for...wait for it...

Viva Pinata.

Yes, I enjoyed VP more and yes, I still call myself a roleplayer. Some have wondered how I can live being so shameful and useless. It's a secret I refuse to tell.

I hate golf, I liked the Tiger Woods game, although not enough to buy it. I hated Madden this year and I think EA Sports is dying slowly on the inside. I loved the FIFA games this year, and was delighted to see one year-end poll highlight the cool music that came with FIFA '07. It really did feature a lot of great tracks.

I agree completely.

I haven't liked an elder scrolls game since Daggerfall. Oblivion is a prettier Morrowind, and Morrowind was a prettier Daggerfall, except that Daggerfall was better than both of them. Viva Pinata is a truely great game, the sort of thing that an Animal Crossing, Pokemon, and Harvest Moon loving man like myself could really sink his teeth into. Also, I love the style, but god damned, it took Rare three systems and a handful of games until they finally found one where their fur shading technology actually worked well.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Viva Pinata is being considered under a different category.

Everybody loves Viva Pinata.

Everybody.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    GOTY All genres for the 360 is easily Viva Pinata, a game very few people will ever play.
    I get the feeling that is the reason why. Seems to be a valid reason for a lot of people around PA.

Renzo on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2007
    Well, the Sports and Racing GOTY articles are up, and Voting is still going on for the RPG of the year.

Next Category should be a bit more interesting to follow, I promise ;)

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    syndalis wrote:
    Well, the Sports and Racing GOTY articles are up, and Voting is still going on for the RPG of the year.

Best Gears of War game 2006?

a) Gears of War
    b) Gears of War CE

Rook on
  • RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    haha "RPG's"

Ranced on
    edited January 2007
    Rook wrote:
    syndalis wrote:

Best Gears of War game 2006?

a) Gears of War
    b) Gears of War CE
    I almost, in the RPG category, made the poll

-Oblivion
    -Oblivion CE

But decided against it. Surprisingly, some folks ARE voting for FFXI and Enchanted Arms.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    edited January 2007
    Best Downloadable Content of 2006 - Click here to go to the poll.

This one is a bit different, and we will be running it until Monday at 12:01 am.

What was the best Downloadable content released in 2006? DLC has long been an issue that has divided and angered the community. Everything from five dollar horse armor to buying cheat codes has risen to the surface, annoying gamers and hurting the image of Microtransactions.

However, amidst all of the negativity, there have been some absolute gems that have released over 2006, and fulfilled the promise of Microtransactions, validating its purpose.

Select your favorite game that was enhanced by DLC in 2006.

And of course, please discuss your decisions here in this thread. I am actually curious to see what comes out on top on this one.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Voted for the Goldeneye maps.

They were actually very well done.

Ranced on
  • TheFid2TheFid2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oblivion takes this one for me because of the quality AND quantity.

Plus, I got in on Mehrunes Razor when it was free, which was an incredible deal for the content contained therein.

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm going to repeat what I said at Arcadians, since I bothered to actually type something for once...
    This was the best vote so far.

Oblivion has gone from crap to awesome.

GRAW pissed me off at the time, as I thought it was too much, despite the content being decent. Plus it literally split the userbase which killed the game off for me. Now it is half price, I will definately get it one night when me and my bro don't know what to play.

PGR3 - Totally awesome content. I bought all the extra cars, took the free promotional ones, and enjoyed them all. Then there is the extra free modes, wether or not they should have been in the game is irrelevant. I loved the game as it shipped. Getting these modes for free down the line was just fantastic.

Kameo - Some really good content. Co-op should have been there from day one, but many of the skins packs were cool. I really need to get around to playing the new hardcore-level armoured-dudes version. Would be a great excuse to break out this game.

PD0 - Got my vote, unquestionably.

Not the most actual content by volume, but the buyable extra maps were some of my absolute favourites (I loved this game in multiplayer, played it all year until Gears hit). The reason this gets my vote is purely for the Goldeneye maps. So much fun, so much nostalgia. Me and my buds played them for hours. And the best thing? There were no real rumours, no hype. Just one day, months after the game launched BAM FREE GOLDENEYE DOWNLOAD GO GET! Totally awesome stuff. Thanks Rare, thanks Microsoft, that is exactly what I wanted from DLC, in the face of EA microtransaction bullshit, and a fantastic example of why the service should exist in the first place. Awesomesauce ++ :up:

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited January 2007
    I also voted for PD0. In my opinion the Goldeneye maps were a perfect example that makes the Live Marketplace great. Rare really went above and beyond with their PD0 content and I feel they deserve recognition for this.

Bamelin on
    edited January 2007
    The Best Shooter of 2006

Even though some might THINK Gears is a shoe in on this category, it is going against some heavy hitters like Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, Call of Duty 3 And Rainbow Six: Vegas. Other cult favorites like Prey and Battlefield: Modern Combat might take some votes as well.

Discuss your favorite shooter of 2006.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Gears of War. I think all jokes aside it has swept the board for best game, and by definition best shooter.

Vegas is a very close second though, for sure. Vegas doesnt get enough love as it should.

ToadTheMushroom on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Gears of War. I think all jokes aside it has swept the board for best game, and by definition best shooter.

Vegas is a very close second though, for sure. Vegas doesnt get enough love as it should.
    R6 was great before I got GoW. Then playing a week of GoW fucked up my mentality for R6. I played like the crappy guys in the PA comic.

It's hard to flip flop betweent he two. You have to exclusively play one or the other.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    PikaPuff wrote:

R6 was great before I got GoW. Then playing a week of GoW fucked up my mentality for R6. I played like the crappy guys in the PA comic.

It's hard to flip flop betweent he two. You have to exclusively play one or the other.

This is true.

Which made the footage shown in the Halo 3 Et Tu Brute video so fuckin jarring. Seeing those Brutes in combat just standing in the middle of nowhere I just kept thinking 'get into cover guys' which is just the mentality of Vegas and Gears. In that way they are hallmark shooters because they make you see all other shooters in a light which makes them seem 'off'.

Gears to a larger extent, as the cover is more fluid and natural, but also Vegas which must have realised, 'ok guys we are making a great realistic game, and oh shit I just got shot in the fucking face better duck behind that car'

ToadTheMushroom on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm going to lose, but I think Rainbow Six: Vegas is alot better than Gears. The singleplayer sucks IMO but the multiplayer is some of the finest I've ever played.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited January 2007
    This one was easy. There is no other game this year that has kept me playing the way GoW has. I lost a month and a half of my life to that game and it still keeps calling my name.

Rainbow Six is ok but I think GRAW was a better game IMHO. If not for GoW my vote would have been GRAW.

But the awsomeness of GoW outshone them all.

Bamelin on
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    GRAW beats out GoW only because of the amazing co-op and steal ur mans games we had for weeks after its release.

Two thumbs up, would play again.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?