As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kitty wanna catch a riiiiiiiiiiide...

GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So, driving from Boston to Philly tomorrow afternoon. Couldn't find someone to watch the kitty, so she's coming with. Opinions, keep her in the carrier or give her free roam of the back seat? Have the litter box available? Anyone have experience with this sort of thing?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
Grundlestiltskin on

• VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It's only like a 6 hour drive or something, leave her in the carrier and don't worry about it. She'll probably meow like crazy then go to sleep. Most cats are awful when allowed to roam in cars.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    If she's not used to driving in the car, keep her in the carrier, at least for the first leg of the trip. It'll help keep her calm. Make sure to make frequent stops, and have the litter box available so she can use it when she needs it.

After a while, if she's doing well, you might try letting her have roam of the car. My cat would like to sleep behind my wife's neck when he was younger (and much smaller). Just make sure she's not able to get down where the pedals are.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • CobaltredCobaltred Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I would strongly recommend, as the previous posters have, starting her off in the carrier. My cats always have freaked out when in a car with the engine on, and they seem to really prefer the security that the carrier provides. And I have always had very calm, very mellow cats.

Cobaltred on
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If it helps at all, she's been the car before - when I picked her up from the animal shelter she sat in her carrier the whole half hour ride home. She doesn't really mind the carrier, when I bring it out she usually goes in on her own.

She's not a very vocal cat, she's just a nutjob when she's not sleeping. My biggest concern was her jumping up on the dashboard or getting underfoot.

How would I even know if she had to go to the bathroom?

Grundlestiltskin on
    edited November 2009
    I did lock her in a closet once for like 6 hours without her going to the bathroom in it. Maybe she'll be fine.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    She probably won't go to the bathroom in the carrier. She'll wait and will probably go as soon as you let her out. Just make sure when you get to your destination you have water and her litterbox ready to go before you let her out.

VisionOfClarity on
  • NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    if you don't want the cat in a carrier, make sure that it can't get into the front of the car, and jam itself under your brake pedal. Cats like to be there. Then you die.

My cats would often take a piss in the carrier on the way to the vet btw. Not much to be done about it...

NotYou on
    edited November 2009
    If it helps at all, she's been the car before - when I picked her up from the animal shelter she sat in her carrier the whole half hour ride home. She doesn't really mind the carrier, when I bring it out she usually goes in on her own.

She's not a very vocal cat, she's just a nutjob when she's not sleeping. My biggest concern was her jumping up on the dashboard or getting underfoot.

How would I even know if she had to go to the bathroom?

You won't know. That's why you need to make frequent stops, and make it available to her.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • illigillig Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    don't let her roam free for her own safety... if you get in a crash, you'll be protected by seatbelts and airbags, while your cat will be a smear on your windshield... much safer in a secured carrier

illig on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Maybe a slightly larger carrier (like for a small dog) would be easier for a long trip than one of those tiny things.

TL DR on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    are you doing it yourself?

we drove cross country with two cats this summer. it was nice having someone to run interference if the cats tried to come up to the front. for the most part they hung out on top of the dog crate we had set up in teh back for them with a litter box in it. they didn't really use the box. however our one guy got really stressed out and pooped on his bed, and another time he peed in the trunk area. up until that point we had been drugging both of them but the one was a bad drunk and got more freaked out so after the pooping incident he didn't get any more and was fine the rest of the trip

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Humans would be a lot funnier if our stress reactions involved pooping in our beds.

Grosser, but funnier.

admanb on
    edited November 2009
    Update:

I tried keeping her in the cat carrier, that lasted about 20 minutes before she started crying. I left her out and she was a whirling dervish around the car. Eventually I stopped and set a bed up in the front seat and another in the back seat along with her litter box. She spent most of the ride switching between the front and back beds napping.

Sad side note - she was peacefully dreaming away in the front seat when I had to stop short. She smacked into the console a little, but she seems to be ok.

Grundlestiltskin on
    edited November 2009
    Glad everything went okay, if not up to expectations.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Update:

I tried keeping her in the cat carrier, that lasted about 20 minutes before she started crying. I left her out and she was a whirling dervish around the car. Eventually I stopped and set a bed up in the front seat and another in the back seat along with her litter box. She spent most of the ride switching between the front and back beds napping.

Sad side note - she was peacefully dreaming away in the front seat when I had to stop short. She smacked into the console a little, but she seems to be ok.

Yeah...that really is the biggest plus with a carrier. I know that kitty cries can be sad (my cat will wail for hours if placed in a carrier) but they don't end up flying into inconvenient places if unexpected things occur. I really encourage you to take your short stop to heart and not drive around with an unsecured animal in the future.

ProPatriaMori on
  • FourthPointFourthPoint __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Do cats get car sick? My little dog used all the time.

FourthPoint on