As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Shin Megami Tensei/Persona]: the Strange Journey is underway. Suit up!

• SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    As long as we're posting music.... Her arms ain't dat thick!
    *POW*
    <3 Argilla

Edit: Agreed, DDS2's hard mode is not to terrible to be honest. I highly recommend the ring that gives you 2x power first round (forget it's name), and an attack all skill.

Syphyre on
  • an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm partial to the DDS1 opening myself, but 2 isn't bad either. For the most part I prefer the music in the first game, but the battle music in the second is awesome. Does anyone know if the soundtracks are available anywhere besides eBay?

CJ, about the red star strategy, is there any way to get Pixie to bring the almighty spells on a regular basis? Pixie seemed to hit me with everything else.

Edit: On DDS2's hard mode, up to the last dungeon (I think) the most difficult thing for me was not having the right skills for the mid-game optional bosses. Everything else was pretty manageable. As far as the last dungeon, I'll let you know when I have time to actually beat it.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    DDS1 really creeps me out. I wouldn't call it a full blown horror game, but there are a bunch of little touches that make me think twice about playing it at night. Like the moody music. Or how if you let the victory screen play out, not only do your characters scream out, but it will actually echo into the stat screen. Serph's especially gives me the willies. Not to mention the music that plays during said stat screen.

And fuck, don't get me started on the game over screen. I'll actually rush for the remote to mute or even change the channel, just so I don't have to see or hear it. *shudder*

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Om Mani Padme Hm

Zephyr_Fate on
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Gilder wrote: »
    Only people who like Svadisthana are cool.

Svadisthana is cool too. It's just not as cool as Sahasrara :P

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2009
    A duck! on
    edited November 2009
    Comrades is so much better than the regular DDS1 sleepfest random battle theme by a country mile.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2009
    Regular battle actually has two cycles, though! And there's Secret Hunt!

A duck! on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    an_alt wrote: »
    I'm partial to the DDS1 opening myself, but 2 isn't bad either. For the most part I prefer the music in the first game, but the battle music in the second is awesome. Does anyone know if the soundtracks are available anywhere besides eBay?

CJ, about the red star strategy, is there any way to get Pixie to bring the almighty spells on a regular basis? Pixie seemed to hit me with everything else.

Luck. Sometimes she's a Megido beast(which drains her MP quickest), and sometimes not.

Either way, just keep pressing the Debilitate/Sukukaja combo. He'll more than likely miss enough to keep them debuffing and not adding into their thirty turn count.

And the biggest advice I can give for anyone taking on Hito?

Don't bother grinding for noises. Level 92-94 and Life Surge is all you need. The extra stats won't make enough difference. You can survive the worst any of his demons can bring, shy of being fully debuffed. It's the Gate of Hells and Gaea Rages you have to watch out for.

I think I have enough info to write up a better guide than the one GameFAQs has, so if I get around to it, I'll certainly share it here.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Inviting You The Hades: A Shin Megami Tensei Retrospective

We could start really, really early, but no one knows much about the Namco (no S)MT games yet, so let's skip those and just get to the good stuff.

Shin Megami Tensei
    [SNES, 1992]

img00003.jpg

We've heard of them maybe once or twice.

img00001.jpg

This is where it all begins: with the Key of Solomon, a symbol utilized in beckoning the Demons of the Goetia, typically through usage of the Tetragrammaton. Ose, Forneus, Decarabia, all those guys; Goetic demons. I'm not too sure about the specific mythology surrounding them and why they're so integral to SMT, but I assume possibly because they're the ones most associated with the tradition(!?) of demon summoning.

img00000.jpg

This is modern day Japan, in the Kichijoji district of Tokyo, but things are just a little bit weird. Your neighborhood is being blocked off, due to a series of strange murders. Demons are beginning to roam the streets, and people begin mysteriously disappearing. What's more, the people you see in your dreams start appearing in reality.

img00004.jpg

You don't want to keep Yahweh waiting, do you?

Much like almost every SMT and its offshoot following this game, SMT allows you to name the main character and determine your own stats.

img00005.jpg

Along with your friends'.

hero2.jpgheroine2.jpglaw2.jpgchaos2.jpg

Just a sample of the weird faces you meet.

SMT was released in 1992, and the Super Famicom/SNES version was fan translated in 2002. Definitely worth checking out.

Beyond that, it's been remade and ported to the Sega CD, PSX, GBA, and even the Virtual Console.

It's never been officially released in the US, and likely never will.

smt-battlesfc.png

SMT1 consists of massive first person dungeons, minimal plot development, and a very morbid setting. Par for the course, mostly.

It's where the ball got rolling, and you could do far worse for a nice old school experience.

Which version to play?

The SNES version has the eeriest music and the low-key look fits it best, IMO.

Also, it's the only way to play it in English.

Fun Facts:

-Cerberus is among your first demons. He goes on to appear in every SMT game, and you get special music in SMT Nocturne when you bring him into the Cathedral of Shadow.

-For you SMT Imagine vets, and what's left of your sanity, much of the music from Imagine is remixed from SMT1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K3SwwrStc8

I promise you'll recognize a couple of tracks immediately from somewhere in Shinjuku Babel.

(Suginami-esque BGM at 3:14.)

The originals mostly sound much better.

A familiar face got her start in SMT 1:

Won't you die for her?

Tangent: this would make a really awesome LP, and you could follow along as I die horribly through my first time!

I did start playing this once some time back, and I never got far because a virus nuked my CPU.

So it wouldn't be too difficult to start over, and I still want to experience it. Just a thought, anyway.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Blackjack, I know you've posted this a ton before, but what stats should I be pumping in Persona 1? So far I've been going for pure Dexterity just because it seems to actually do something as opposed to all the rest.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    So it wouldn't be too difficult to start over, and I still want to experience it. Just a thought, anyway.
    I certainly wouldn't mind seeing where it all began (or, this being SMT, ended). Especially if it means you digging up some info on the demons of Goetia, since I've always been too lazy to. :P

Still... I'm assuming you'd be playing this in English, which would have to involve an emulator and... err... doesn't this forum have rules about that sort of thing?

Well, whatever. I'd like to see it anyway.

WotanAnubis on
    edited November 2009
    I certainly wouldn't mind seeing where it all began (or, this being SMT, ended). Especially if it means you digging up some info on the demons of Goetia, since I've always been too lazy to. :P

Still... I'm assuming you'd playing this in English, which would have to involve an emulator and... err... doesn't this forum have rules about that sort of thing?

Well, whatever. I'd like to see it anyway.

Fan translations are an iffy matter.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I believe it was decreed back when Mother 3 came out that fan translations are alright, as it would otherwise be impossible to experience the game. Especially in this case, as it is 17 years old, and probably won't ever get an official translation.

Unless they make some sort of DS thing, I suppose. Not terribly likely, however.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    SMT I and II were really enjoyable when I played through them in summer '08. I just love the feel of SNES RPGs, and I always enjoy it when I hear updated/remixed music from these games when I play Nocturne.

The first one is trivially easy if you abuse the hell out of charm spells and charm bullets.

I'm really looking forward to Strange Journey because it seems like a throwback to these two games.

langfor6 on
  • Izanagi-OkamiIzanagi-Okami Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    A familiar face got her start in SMT 1:

Won't you die for her?

Holy crap! Finally Persona 3 all makes sense now.

Izanagi-Okami on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I believe it was decreed back when Mother 3 came out that fan translations are alright, as it would otherwise be impossible to experience the game. Especially in this case, as it is 17 years old, and probably won't ever get an official translation.

Unless they make some sort of DS thing, I suppose. Not terribly likely, however.

We've gotten plenty of chances for SMT1 and 2 to come out in the US. They came out on the playstation and GBA as well. We're not getting them. It doesn't really matter though because those games suck. They're too hard, confusing because they're in first person, and not very fun. We don't need them, let's just be happy that we got Nocturne.

Gilder on
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

We've gotten plenty of chances for SMT1 and 2 to come out in the US. They came out on the playstation and GBA as well. We're not getting them. It doesn't really matter though because those games suck. They're too hard, confusing because they're in first person, and not very fun. We don't need them, let's just be happy that we got Nocturne.

I thought they were fun. They're like early versions of Pokemon, except your trainer fights too!

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Doing a replay of P4 (well, technically a first go I guess, since I never got past the Heaven dungeon the last time), and I can't decide what my party for dungeoneering and/or bosses will mainly be. I was thinking Yukiko, Teddie, and Kanji to start with, which would allow Main to focus on putting out the hurt, but I don't know what I'd be missing with that combo.

Also, since I've completely forgotten by now, what social stats are most/least important to raise?

Ledneh on
    edited November 2009
    If you care to provide some veteran input before the masses do, now's the time. :P

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=106437

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Doing a replay of P4 (well, technically a first go I guess, since I never got past the Heaven dungeon the last time), and I can't decide what my party for dungeoneering and/or bosses will mainly be. I was thinking Yukiko, Teddie, and Kanji to start with, which would allow Main to focus on putting out the hurt, but I don't know what I'd be missing with that combo.

Also, since I've completely forgotten by now, what social stats are most/least important to raise?

Nooooo just use one healer. I suggest Yukiko, because I found her to be better (Everybody BURN!) and because she doesn't fucking squeak everywhere she goes.

Seriously, I don't think it's worth it to have two healers, because that means two weaknesses on top of whatever your MC may have at any given time. One healer can do the job just fine, and that's only one ass to cover. I mostly used the starting party, switching out Chie and Yosuke every once in a while with whoever I wanted at the moment. Kanji's a fine choice too, though, and I may have been using him more than Chie overall.

Aydr on
  • langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I found neither one to be particularly challenging. Abuse of charm spells and bullets plus application of the right hand rule makes the first one a cinch. Charm isn't as powerful but still effective in the second game, and the right hand rule still carries you through a lot of the game.

The worst part about the first two games is that if you build a squad of demon powerhouses they can really drain your magnetite supply.

Nocturne, on the other hand, slaps me around like a drunken father abusing a foster child.

langfor6 on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The nice thing about Teddie is that even though he has an elemental weakness, his evade is very high so it doesn't hit him very often.

Oh and because I hate humanity, here's a little video I found on youtube. If you manage to sit through the whole thing, you're a stronger person than I am.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9OvPtm8qZs

RainbowDespair on
  • Izanagi-OkamiIzanagi-Okami Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The nice thing about Teddie is that even though he has an elemental weakness, his evade is very high so it doesn't hit him very often.

Oh and because I hate humanity, here's a little video I found on youtube. If you manage to sit through the whole thing, you're a stronger person than I am.

What is this I don't even-- What?!

Somehow I misread your post and thought the movie was going to be a live action Persona. Now I really want a live action Persona television drama.

Edit: Oh! I see that's the name of the video.

Izanagi-Okami on
    edited November 2009
    The video would be good if not for the misplaced, overbearing music choices. I LOVE the pieces on their own, but they totally overshadow a bunch of dialogue, even if it's bad dialogue. The opening is pretty nice, though.

Zephyr_Fate on
    edited November 2009
    Aaaaa do I want Kanji or Chie, Yukiko or Teddie, Yosuke or whoever else in my combat party

DECISION PARALYZED

Also I had forgotten how generally good everyone's voice acting is in this game. Refreshing. :)

Ledneh on
  • TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You want Yosuke in your combat party. He's very well rounded and can consistently dish out solid damage. Plus brave blade seems to crit an unrealistic percentage of the times I've used it.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure my party is going to include Yosuke and Yukiko full-time, and I've decided to sideline Teddie based on the noise he makes walking yeurrgh

So the real question I guess is Chie, Naoto, or Kanji for slot three? I gather Kanji is the better attacker until Chie gets Power Charge, and Naoto is better for dungeon crawling with his instakills.

Maybe I should use all three but that's a lot of grinding eughh vOv

Ledneh on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    No Naoto is pretty sucky. All of the harder enemies are immune to death and then all you have is Megidolaon. That's fine for things like the big robot enemies, but you don't encounter them enough to be worth it. I think some even break convention and resist almighty. Stick with Chie or Kanji.

Gilder on
    edited November 2009
    The final party I used in P4 is Chie, Yukiko, and Kanji. I just chose the characters I liked the most...

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2009
    Naoto saved my ass a billion times in the later dungeons, what with being able to cast Hama and Mudo like no other. Same reason I used Koromaru and Ken in P3.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure my party is going to include Yosuke and Yukiko full-time, and I've decided to sideline Teddie based on the noise he makes walking yeurrgh

So the real question I guess is Chie, Naoto, or Kanji for slot three? I gather Kanji is the better attacker until Chie gets Power Charge, and Naoto is better for dungeon crawling with his instakills.

Maybe I should use all three but that's a lot of grinding eughh vOv
    Kanji actually outdamages Chie until Chie is in the mid-to-high 80s and has all of her ultimate equipment. Which is not something most people do. He also gets Matarukaja which gives him something to spend his SP on in boss fights.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited November 2009
    The only person I would actively discourage people from using is Naoto, which is a fucking shame because I love the character. Too bad Naoto deals almighty damage, which means all of the spells cost more SP than the other characters' spells.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2009
    Naoto is worthless. Especially in boss fights.

Well, and the plot.

And just in general.

The only good thing about Naoto is the ultimate Persona for the Fortune Link.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited November 2009
    The only person I would actively discourage people from using is Naoto, which is a fucking shame because I love the character. Too bad Naoto deals almighty damage, which means all of the spells cost more SP than the other characters' spells.

I loved using Naoto. Free death spells yay.

Zephyr_Fate on
    edited November 2009
    As it turns out I settled on Yosuke and Yukiko for reasons previously described, and Kanji I actually picked because he is just so goddamn excited about those all-out attacks. It cheers me up. :mrgreen:

Ledneh on
  • TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That's probably gonna be my party when I play through the game again come January. Though I will miss Power Charge + God's Hand and the Galactic Punt.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Instant death spells are super awesome in the last few dungeons I don't know what you're talking about : ( I used them pretty much every fight. Mind Charge+Megido isn't ideal, but it doesn't lag behind that much. Definitely better than dragging Chie through boss fights for most of the game.

If Megido wasn't so naturally terrible in this game Naoto would be absolutely awesome : ( Megido in Strange Journey is actually super strong and I use it all the time.

Frosteey on
    edited November 2009
    Look the problem with Naoto's instant death spells is that you're either only using them on things with weaknesses, in which case saving the SP and going for Mahama and Mamudo is a much better idea, or you're using them to clear the entire field, in which case Samsara and Die For Me! is a much better idea.

Obviously, the MC can do everything better than everyone, but when it comes to which party members can contribute the most once the MC is done being broken, Naoto is at the bottom of the barrel.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm a big fan of Naoto for random encounters. Not only does she have powerful instant kill spells, but if the enemy isn't weak to those, she's one of the few characters with group physical skills. She also has one of the better special attacks (similar to Kanji's).

On the other hand, she's probably the worst character for boss encounters.

RainbowDespair on
This discussion has been closed.