As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Shin Megami Tensei/Persona]: the Strange Journey is underway. Suit up!

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hey cj, was Alice the girl in SMT1 who asked you to die for her?
    Oh hey little girl named alice, asks you to get a bunny. I just got that reference.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    For some reason, playing Persona 3 during my sophomore year of high school seems to make a lot of sense. I can actually sympathize with over-hormone'd teenage stupidity.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Man, Persona 4 makes me miss FFXIII's retry system. Goodbye 45 minutes of gameplay! :(

captaink on
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    captaink wrote: »
    Man, Persona 4 makes me miss FFXIII's retry system. Goodbye 45 minutes of gameplay! :(

:lol:
    45 mins ain't much.
    I lost as much as 3h before.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh Anthony.....

"She's like hundreds of years old, right?!"

:lol::lol:

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Pretty much every game makes me miss that. I'm really long past the age where I have any interest in risking more than one battle's worth of backtracking when I lose. The whole resource-management to get through a dungeon thing just doesn't work for me anymore (especially if the game doesn't feature a convenient way to save and quit like say, Resonance of Fate).

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dis wrote: »

:lol:
    45 mins ain't much.
    I lost as much as 3h before.

3 hours!? That should just never happen. You have only yourself to blame.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    MeiteronMeiteron Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    SJ last boss, second attempt:
    First, I'm kicking myself for not discovering mitama fusion as a way to get extra source skills onto existing demons, like, 40 hours ago. A few hours of grinding and fusing on null/drain/repel skills to cover weaknesses, went for another go at it.

First form was much easier to handle, and went down really quickly. The second form is slower mainly because it seems to repel almost everything, but not all the time, so there's some kind of shifting resistance going on.

I was chipping away with almighty moves and chakra pot spam until I ran into an attack which goes by "MA", which is essentially a potential game over button.

Seriously. On use it drains 100% of the health of whoever it hits, no miss/resistance/anything. In my case, it hit my MC only a couple rounds before I'd probably have won, prompting a traumatic P3 endboss flashback.

There's an accessory that gives endure, but it'd take another hour or so of grinding to get the proper forma. I might just try to luck out on a few more attempts.

Meiteron on
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Your tales of last boss hell please me, Meiteron. I am now looking forward to a grueling battle in... probably twenty to thirty hours. What alignment did you end up with?

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, didn't take long for Mastema to turn Messian. Ah well.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Started playing SJ again after playing it for an hour and then not touching it again until now. I hate this negotiation system so much. I feel like all the people who couldn't get the pixie to join them in Imagine. No matter what I say it's wrong. Always. I can never recruit anyone because no matter what question I get I answer it wrong. It takes me like 7 encounters to get something to join me because I can never get past the first question. I need to get that Sub App. to calm them down or something. I never had this problem in the other games, but SJ is just out to get me.

Gilder on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    For it being such a huge part of the system, and often a large selling point of the series, negotiation is consistently one of the worst things in the games.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    dcleedclee Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Especially when the way they respond to the same question seems to differ randomly. For instance, I met a group of 3 of the same demons, and all 3 of them asked the same 1st question, which btw only had 2 answers. So for the 1st one, i went with the first choice, but got rejected. 2nd demon, chose the 2nd choice, and got rejected again! So for the 3rd one, I went with the first choice again, but this time he accepted. D:

dclee on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's mostly because it's such a crap shoot. You can't even determine right responses from personality, because their preferences always change. At least Persona monster types are a little more predictable.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The worst thing is how the game taunts you. Like "This demon is very playful." Surely this will help me answer correctly!

What are you?

A stranger
    >A hero
    A businessman

FUCK YOU ACT YOUR AGE HUMAN SCUM

And then the next time you say businessman and they want you to be more playful. I just treat every answer as having a 33% chance of being right, because it really doesn't matter what I say. I just have the worst luck in the universe at getting that 33%.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    At least sometimes they'll decide to respond well anyway.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    One time I thought the game took pity on me because the demon calmed down after one wrong answer when I got the first question right. Then I asked it to negotiate and it got pissed and attacked me. It was like the game was dangling a carrot in front of me and when I reached for it it punched me in the dick.

Gilder on
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Reminds me of how much happier I became in Nocturne once I got a high level demon with "Brainwash". Mind Taking made the game so much more enjoyable.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I personally don't have much problems with the negotiation system. Mainly because I'll run into them 3,000 times. In other words, I have plenty of chances to get the right answers.

right now I'm lvl 50 and my party consists of a White Rider, Grendel, and a Succubus.

The Succubus is basically the black mage of my party, Grendel is the black belt, and the White Rider is an offensive support unit. I also have this rather unusual Valkyrie with both Mortal Jihad and Berserker God. I'm not sure what is the point of having too heavy physical attacks, but she was a fusion accident.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    MeiteronMeiteron Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's odd that everyone's having these problems with randomness in negotiation because I had a completely different experience. I think in the whole game, I ran into maybe 3 or 4 situations where the same question from the same demon would give two different outcomes to one of your answers. Most of the time once I figured out a proper answer to one question that'd always be the right answer, and so eventually I'd get two questions in a row I'd remember and move onto the "gimme stuff" stage. Of course, once I got relax spray I basically used it for the entire game, because all that can take a pretty long time. At least you get it fairly early on.

I'll say this about the negotiation system: I much prefer it to Nocturne's because SJ has the demons ask you the questions BEFORE they start asking for money and items, not after. At least this way there's a bit less throwing your resources down a bipolar demon-shaped hole.
    Teriferin wrote: »
    Your tales of last boss hell please me, Meiteron. I am now looking forward to a grueling battle in... probably twenty to thirty hours. What alignment did you end up with?

Well hey, I enjoy a good round of SMT-style schadenfreude myself, so I'm happy to provide some to others! :P

Turns out it's a good thing I didn't spend that extra hour of preparation because the fourth time was, in fact, the charm.

(The third time was an aborted attempt after an improbably large string of bad luck which I will never think about again much less discuss.)

For this first time around I was neutral from start to finish, 58 hours in total. Neutral was fine for demon use, although I often ended up splitting 2/2 for alignment in the party, or having all my demons law/chaos for some places. I did run into several places where fights/missions/equipment were unavailable because of neutrality, though, so I'll probably be leaning chaos for my new game+.

Meiteron on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So I wasn't paying attention when my Black Frost leveled up, and it looks like he replaced his bufadyne with something called luster candy. Don't know if I should keep it.
    Gonna mitama refuse it to keep BOTH.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    JONJONAUGJONJONAUG Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So I wasn't paying attention when my Black Frost leveled up, and it looks like he replaced his bufadyne with something called luster candy. Don't know if I should keep it.
    Gonna mitama refuse it to keep BOTH.

Luster Candy is awesome and busts bosses wide open.

JONJONAUG on
  • Options
    aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for answering my questions about Persona PSP, guys. I'll just spread my stats between Dexterity and Agility from now on.

Just one more thing, and it's sort of an early game spoiler, I guess:
    I'm at the point where I rescued Masao from the Police Station, and I just said no to Hidehiko joining my party. My reasoning is simple: I wanted to have room for Yukino again, and since I'm not able to get rid of Masao's stupid character, Hidehiko got the cut instead.

Please tell me I didn't fuck myself up, that "Brown" is a super awesome powerhouse I'll never be able to get again, and that I could've gotten rid of "Mark" later on.

Also, is it just me or do all the female characters' basic Personas have Dia?

aunsoph on
  • Options
    GorelabGorelab Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Are there any bosses who aren't tyrant type?

Gorelab on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Strange Journey question, in the third area:
    I just went through all the nonsense going through the dark area and stumbling onto the Elve which that demon leader appears to have eaten. I cannot for the life of me figure out where to go next. I'm pretty sure I've checked every door and wall and found nothing but locked doors/hidden doors.

Am I missing something important?

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I just went through all the nonsense going through the dark area and stumbling onto the Elve which that demon leader appears to have eaten. I cannot for the life of me figure out where to go next. I'm pretty sure I've checked every door and wall and found nothing but locked doors/hidden doors.

I'm pretty sure you need to find that angel that helped you in Bootes right now. He's in a room on 1F.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Gilder wrote: »
    Started playing SJ again after playing it for an hour and then not touching it again until now. I hate this negotiation system so much. I feel like all the people who couldn't get the pixie to join them in Imagine. No matter what I say it's wrong. Always. I can never recruit anyone because no matter what question I get I answer it wrong. It takes me like 7 encounters to get something to join me because I can never get past the first question. I need to get that Sub App. to calm them down or something. I never had this problem in the other games, but SJ is just out to get me.
    Same here. I didn't recruit a new monster for the entire time I was exploring Antlia's second floor. And I was fucking trying.

Elendil on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm in Bootes right now and having a hell of a time recruiting anything at all. I try to be playful with the Jack Frosts cause they seem like kids, but fuckers are like "You disrespectin' me, son! Don't go using our language to call yourself a Hee-Ho, Ho! Time to drive a Knuckle-ho sandwich into your hee-ad! Ho!"

And all the feral grunting from the ape-looking things and some of the other demons where your choice is either "Make random noises" or "Say nothing" usually ends up either directly in a fight or it runs away.

I might just level to 17 on the enemies down here and just fuse a bunch of the early ones from Antlia. I also desperately need a better magic user than my Harpy and someone with Media

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

I'm pretty sure you need to find that angel that helped you in Bootes right now. He's in a room on 1F.

This is exactly what you need to do. You might have already done it already even but after that scene you need to go back now.

I was summoning random things last night in order to try out some new fusions. Since its my first SMT game I still don't have a handle on like Vile + Fairy = prime type of equations.

I managed to get a Divine Virtue.

I used a inferno source and it ended up with Agidyne and possibly fire boost. It is bananas.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    And all the feral grunting from the ape-looking things and some of the other demons where your choice is either "Make random noises" or "Say nothing" usually ends up either directly in a fight or it runs away.
    Those are 'Dark' demons. You can never recruit Dark demons, except during Full Moons if you have Lunacy equipped.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    aunsoph wrote: »
    Thanks for answering my questions about Persona PSP, guys. I'll just spread my stats between Dexterity and Agility from now on.

I'm at the point where I rescued Masao from the Police Station, and I just said no to Hidehiko joining my party. My reasoning is simple: I wanted to have room for Yukino again, and since I'm not able to get rid of Masao's stupid character, Hidehiko got the cut instead.

Please tell me I didn't fuck myself up, that "Brown" is a super awesome powerhouse I'll never be able to get again, and that I could've gotten rid of "Mark" later on.
    Yukino is only a permanent member of your party in the Snow Queen story path so you're not getting her back - you've already passed the point where it determines if you're going on the SEBEC path (main game) or Snow Queen (harder story path). But don't worry, all of the characters you have to choose from for your last character are roughly the same level of power so just choose whoever you like the most.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Yukino is only a permanent member of your party in the Snow Queen story path so you're not getting her back - you've already passed the point where it determines if you're going on the SEBEC path (main game) or Snow Queen (harder story path). But don't worry, all of the characters you have to choose from for your last character are roughly the same level of power so just choose whoever you like the most.

Wow... I just Googled a FAQ for the Snow Queen path, and it seems like I was very close to stumbling upon the Snow Queen path by myself. I thought I had visited all rooms in the school open at the time before going to check out the hole, including visiting the Gym and that Storage Room... (I'm a completionist.) but I apparently didn't visit the Principal's Office, which was the last step before going into to the Gymnasium.

That sucks, Yukino seemed like a great character.

Well, it's probably for the best, so I can experience the main storyline first... plus, you know, Snow Queen is supposedly much harder than the SEBEC path, if this FAQ is to be trusted.

aunsoph on
  • Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I tried to give a 'sexy look' at a demon-

She couldn't see it through the Demonica mask.

Also, Angels don't like it when you compare them to a tomato

YggiDee on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Wow... I just Googled a FAQ for the Snow Queen path, and it seems like I was very close to stumbling upon the Snow Queen path by myself. I thought I had visited all rooms in the school open at the time before going to check out the hole, including visiting the Gym and that Storage Room... (I'm a completionist.) but I apparently didn't visit the Principal's Office, which was the last step before going into to the Gymnasium.

That sucks, Yukino seemed like a great character.

Well, it's probably for the best, so I can experience the main storyline first... plus, you know, Snow Queen is supposedly much harder than the SEBEC path, if this FAQ is to be trusted.
    It's not really "much" harder. It's tougher, yeah, but mostly because there's just a lot more fighting to it. I tend to prefer it, battle wise, just because the team you get is excellent. MC, Yukino, Ayase, Nanjo or Brown, and if you're smart, Ellie. They have excellent contact options all around, they have some great Persona compatibilities amongst them, Ellie and Ayase both favor Dexterity and Agility, the two best stats. Ellie's 'ultimate' Persona is bar none the best Persona in the game, etc.

Also, about the fifth character choices in the main path:
    Brown is probably the weakest of them, so don't worry. Chances are you didn't do the things needed to get the secret character, so you're "stuck" with Ayase or Ellie -- two of the best in the game. I tend to go with Ayase in the main quest just because Ellie and Maki tend to fill a similar role -- supporter/healer, while Ayase is more of a nuker, and Ayase's contacts tend to mesh better with that team. But, they're both great options and like I said, Ellie's ultimate is phenomenal, if you're planning on doing any grinding for them.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Those are 'Dark' demons. You can never recruit Dark demons, except during Full Moons if you have Lunacy equipped.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the Dark demons will refuse to talk to you at all. Things like the Poltergeists in Antlia, who when you try to talk to them just go "No talking!" and produce a "Don't try that again" message. The grunty ones are just too stupid to talk with normally, so you're forced to take your chances with whatever non-language they use.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

No, he's talking about Wilder demons. Wilders grunt like animals, and Fouls just kind of moan (like the Slimes in the very first area of Antlia). They don't actually speak, so trying to get anything out of them is a total crapshoot. One I always lose...

Dark demons, like Poltergeists, tend to at least have the decency to tell me I can't talk to them.

Edit: Wow, royally scooped. That's what I get for leaving my browser window open for an hour.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    DarkDragoonDarkDragoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I really haven't had any more trouble doing demon negotiations than previous games.

DarkDragoon on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That's not really saying much.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    More often-then-not, I find the answers to be pretty consistent among the personalities, though occasionally an answer that pleased them one time may not appease them another time. One instance I remember is running into a "gentleman" demon, and he asked me what kind of wine I preferred, with the right answer being "white." The next gentleman demon I met got angry at this response (though it was also a full moon, so maybe that changed it somehow?)

Someone should probably create a negotiation FAQ at some point.

SpeedySwaf on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Negotiation FAQ would be lover-ly, but I can't imagine someone recording all of the possible options with all of the phases of the moon. That would take more time than the game's been out.

Any recommendations on decent demons for Bootes? I'm currently teal-coloured, so I guess I'm straddling that Law line. I have a Law Harpy who I'd love to replace to something better soon. She's got Dia, Magaru (wind) and Dormina (sleep) Problem is her magic stat is low. A Law Itsumade (skull with raven wings) who's pretty boss cause he has Maragi and Needle Assault and the Speed Down (all) spell. And a Neutral Ippon-Datara (weird almost android-y looking thing) who I fused with the Oni Source so he's a decent phys. damage dealer with Charge, Rampage and Fang Breaker.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

This discussion has been closed.