As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Shin Megami Tensei/Persona]: the Strange Journey is underway. Suit up!

• FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    FFFFFFFFF

Trying to beat Persona 4 finally, and that stupid boss at the top of Heaven's Tower just killed me four times in a row. It's basically because Yukiko is weak to ice and it lets the boss have two turns. He just spams Ice x All twice and kills my MC. GAH.

This is seriously making me not want to play now.

You can just have her guard when he does Quad Converge? Have everyone guard if you're at danger of dying in one turn or you're paranoid.

This is also a good point to to use magic mirrors or have makarakarn. If you have a persona that repels ice and knows makarakarn, you'll have two characters reflecting a large chunk of damage back at him any time he chooses ice and if you have Chie that's three characters who aren't taking damage every round.

Frosteey on
  • TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The first time I fought him, he wiped me out with his first Quad Converge. All that's really needed is a couple repel/absorb/immune persona for each of the elements and have vulnerable characters guard the turn after a Quad Converge.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Chie is way too low level and Teddie is somewhat low level, otherwise I would probably use them here.
    I could probably fuse a better persona, so I can get null-ice or something. I haven't exactly taken time to figure out how fusion works and basically end up fusing random ones together to make more powerful ones.

Which spell is Makarakarn?

blaze_zero on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    fuse a Lilith

reflects electric and comes with Makarakarn (which let's a character repel magic once)

Elendil on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    yay, Horus hall in the Brutes' base. Have went from Level 52 to 60 more or less with auto-attack on.

KiTA on
  • SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Request for the next Persona or other SMT game that requires fusing. Allow us to load our own MP3s into the Velvet room. Please. I can't simply mute the TV because I need the sound feedback from the moving the cursor and selection. Please Atlus? I know you won't do it because that would make the player's lives easier, but please? The melody...it haunts...

Then make Elizabeth dance to the music.

Syphyre on
  • JONJONAUGJONJONAUG Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't know why you guys are always hating on the Velvet Room theme.

It sounds good and it is very calming. You need very calming music because otherwise you're going to put your foot through your TV after trying to get that perfect hexagon fusion for an hour only to get a fusion accident.

JONJONAUG on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sure it's calming. But you can only listen to it for so many hours before it starts driving you crazy.

And then you play the next game and whoops its the same song.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So, am I the only person who beats a dungeon on the first day its available?

blaze_zero on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    So, am I the only person who beats a dungeon on the first day its available?

No. In fact, in the developer's post-mortem of Persona 4, they said that this was one of the problems they had with the design - based on the way things are set up, most people will hurry up and try to complete dungeons ASAP creating a big divide between the dungeon gameplay & the sim gameplay, whereas what they wanted was for people to take on the dungeons in several trips to add variety to the sim gameplay.

RainbowDespair on
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So i finally started P4 a while ago. It just doesn't quite get it done for me like P3 did. At least it doesn't have Aigis though. Although the combat seems generally easier.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think I fondly remember P3 more than P4, because P3 was entirely fresh. P4 just improves on it.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited December 2009
    I think I like 3 more than 4 because I played it over the span of like, 6 months. So in the end it felt more epic than 4.

Also I didn't enjoy 4's story as much. Too repetitive.

And I liked 3's visuals more. And 3 had better music imo.

4 really just had better gameplay.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    4 is better than 3 in every way possible except maybe music.

But then, the more I think about it, the more I realize 3 is my least favorite in the series, so...

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think I prefer P4, mostly because in P3 my favorite characters (like Junpei and Akihiko) got overshadowed by characters I didn't like quite as much (like Yukari, who I still overall liked just not as much, and Aigis who, well, is Aigis).

P4 I felt like the party members got a little bit more of the screentime they deserved, though there's still some stuff like how I wish we got a little bit more of Kanji's emotional arc or maybe some fleshing out on Naoto (like maybe with regards to Kanji). Honestly though, at that age it's a lot more realistic that Kanji didn't get a very solid resolution to his issues.

Aydr on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So I'm playing FF X for the first time, and I have to say that that game is really making me miss the boss battles in SMT games. They seem so much more fair in SMT. In FF it's like every boss is either stupidly easy because there's a gimmick or stupidly hard because there's some dumb gimmick the boss has that isn't the easiest thing to counter. SMT bosses just feel right.
    Okay yeah, I just reached the Mt. Gagazet fight in X and I'm a little bitter okay? That fight is pretty much as dumb as that one battle in DDS2 near the end. That's like the only time in SMT I've ever felt a boss fight was totally unfair and stupid.

Gilder on
  • Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't remember any DDS2 bosses being unfair unless they're optional...

Zephyr_Fate on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm referring to
    Meganada. You basically have to grind out some null skills for him because he'll always use what you don't have to get in more and more turns. You need Null Charm and something else, but I can't actually remember why he was so hard. I just remember that it was the only boss in the game I ever had to purposefully grind out skills to beat.

Gilder on
  • Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I farmed for Narasimha's item and Parvati's item. I got so high a level that I had Null Element on someone and just used that to dominate Meganada. Good times. 3rd floor of The Sun is a great training area.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    4 had better, subtler writing, to my mind.
    Only thing 3's plot had over it was pace. 4 feels a little slow at times.

Xagarath on
  • YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    As a whole, I prefer P4 a great deal more, but there are so many parts of P3 I love to death; the atmosphere of the final month is devastating and the finale is bitchin'. The themes of the inevitability of death and its acceptance just mesh so well with everything else.

Also Mass Destruction + the Final version of Burn My Dread = the best JRPG battle themes.

YggiDee on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Re: DDS2-
    I remember always being terrified of Meganada from the cutscenes, then I fought him with almost no trouble at all. Of course, that was on Normal.

And welcome to all RPGs that aren't SMT. They all feel cheaply difficult lately, not 'you can win with the right amount of skill' difficult.

Also, I'll just leave this here:

7187024.jpg

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You know, I have not gone back to play P3 since I beat it the first time.
    I think I was too depressed at the end of the game. Its one thing to sacrifice oneself to save the world, but not even giving the player a choice as to who to say goodbye to really pissed me off. I didn't really care about Aegis, but being stuck with her at the end and in a coma before the rest of the party shows up really depressed me.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
    edited December 2009
    You do get a choice in P3P, at least with the female protagonist.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    I think I was too depressed at the end of the game. Its one thing to sacrifice oneself to save the world, but not even giving the player a choice as to who to say goodbye to really pissed me off. I didn't really care about Aegis, but being stuck with her at the end and in a coma before the rest of the party shows up really depressed me.
    Seriously... They just remembered... THEY WERE ALL ON THE WAY THERE

Aydr on
    edited December 2009
    Aydr wrote: »
    I DIED IN THE ARMS OF A TOASTER WITH BREASTS

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So beat Beezy human in DDS1, farming Titanias. Heat has almost maxxed out the grid, actually, it's kinda scary. Working towards Monotheist with him and the Protagonist. I grinded so much on Horus-es that everyone excelt Celo has 99 Magic.

KiTA on
    edited December 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Re: DDS2-
    I remember always being terrified of Meganada from the cutscenes, then I fought him with almost no trouble at all. Of course, that was on Normal.
    same

it was Vrtita or whatever that's spelled that made me want to punch a wall

oh awesome I'm confused there goes half my money

Elendil on
    edited December 2009
    I know. If the MC held on for just 2 more minutes it would have been a sad but sweet ending as he said fair well to them all. Instead the MC just up and croaks, leaving it depressing without that last moment of joy that would have made it all worth it.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • CelethangCelethang Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    DeMoN wrote: »

I'm curious if I'm the only one too dense or *something* to realize that
    the MC dies at that part. I never played The Answer and the only way I found out was by searching around and I stumbled across it. I thought WHAAATT, and then when I thought about it, it made a ton of sense.

So how the heck did I miss that the first time?! I finished the game thinking it had a happy ending. :oops:

Celethang on
    edited December 2009
    Celethang wrote: »
    DeMoN wrote: »

I'm curious if I'm the only one too dense or *something* to realize that
    the MC dies at that part. I never played The Answer and the only way I found out was by searching around and I stumbled across it. I thought WHAAATT, and then when I thought about it, it made a ton of sense.

So how the heck did I miss that the first time?! I finished the game thinking it had a happy ending. :oops:

You're not the only one. When I finished it, I had managed to delude myself into thinking the MC was just taking a nap. Then I headed into some forums to talk about the end, which is when I learned the MC had gone into a coma. As soon as it was said, everything clicked on how it talks about the MC getting weaker and weaker, and then finally drifting off. At which point, I could no longer pretend otherwise and was super depressed.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
    edited December 2009
    Hit my first roadblock in DDS2 Hard Mode.

The Tribvhana. Figures.

Partially my own fault; I've been just getting by on the normal skills. Haven't done any real grinding.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Hit my first roadblock in DDS2 Hard Mode.

The Tribvhana. Figures.

Partially my own fault; I've been just getting by on the normal skills. Haven't done any real grinding.

I don't know why, but I really like grinding in the DDS games. I usually throw it on while I'm recording a podcast and grind macca and mantras for two hours. I will also do it while listening to podcasts and audiobooks. I think I might be weird...

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2009
    I can't not grind in DDS. The constant rewards combined with the fear of maxing a mantra far from a save point just ruin me.

Elendil on
  • an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Elendil is exactly right. Having that save point right there and realizing that one team member is almost done the current mantra is only one step away from a prison without walls.

Edit: There was a Matrix reference in there, but this post is already too geeky...

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    an_alt wrote: »
    Elendil is exactly right. Having that save point right there and realizing that one team member is almost done the current mantra is only one step away from a prison without walls.

Edit: There was a Matrix reference in there, but this post is already too geeky...

And then you get the problem where, after maxing that character's mantra, somebody else is now almost done. So you grind some more and max that, then your 3rd character is nearly done. And after that, then your first character is now almost done his new mantra. So you...

It's a never ending spiral of grinding.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    an_alt wrote: »

And then you get the problem where, after maxing that character's mantra, somebody else is now almost done. So you grind some more and max that, then your 3rd character is nearly done. And after that, then your first character is now almost done his new mantra. So you...

It's a never ending spiral of grinding.

Yup. However, I would change the last sentence to "It's a glorious never ending spiral of grinding."

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • MattakuevanMattakuevan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Crap, all this talk makes me want to play DDS again.

Mattakuevan on
    edited December 2009
    So not even DDS2 is safe from Messian/Gaian drama.
    Order will decide.
    Angel wrote:
    The strong will rule and the weak will perish. We need not order, but chaos.

Jenna is still awesome.
    You're under arrest for treason.
    Who do you think created the demon virus?

[epic slaughter]

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Just bought Persona 4 online.
    Now to wait for it to arrive.

Rizzi on
This discussion has been closed.