As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Japanimation] ITT B:L shows how small our penises really are compared to his

• Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So can anyone recommend a couple decent dubs from the last few years, outside of the super obvious stuff that gets talked about every ten pages or so?

Screw recent years. Watch Virtua Fighter, English dub.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    DragonPup wrote: »
    Black Lagoon's dub was far and away better than the Japanese.

It one of those shows like Bebop where an english dub enhances the setting.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »
    So can anyone recommend a couple decent dubs from the last few years, outside of the super obvious stuff that gets talked about every ten pages or so?

Desert Punk has a good dub, mainly because they wear helmets most of the time, which also shows in the budgeting of the show.

I'm watching the Bleach movie, and I love the subtlety of changing the ribbon color in both her forms. It's such a clever hint.

I'm watching it too, and I gotta say, the dub drives me frigging nuts. Maybe it's just the fact that I've watched it in Japanese with subs for so long, but the voices just seem wrong.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Alright, Fist of the North Star is the most badass thing to come out of Japan since samurai. I'm on episode... 7 I think, and Kenshiro is just an awesome character. This is pretty much the best shounen I've ever seen, and may surpass One Piece if it keeps to a tight plot pacing like it's done thus far.

Also holy shit I didn't know you could blow people up in new and interesting ways and then make a 109 episode anime cataloguing it.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Finally watched Cencoroll. It's just not the same without that music. The monsters seemed a lot more detailed and... strange in the short/trailer, too.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    JONJONAUGJONJONAUG Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Alright, Fist of the North Star is the most badass thing to come out of Japan since samurai. I'm on episode... 7 I think, and Kenshiro is just an awesome character. This is pretty much the best shounen I've ever seen, and may surpass One Piece if it keeps to a tight plot pacing like it's done thus far.

Also holy shit I didn't know you could blow people up in new and interesting ways and then make a 109 episode anime cataloguing it.

My reaction was pretty much the exact opposite.

*Rents New Fist of the North Star*
    Me: I've heard very little about this show, but it looks like Violence Jack with less shirts.
    *About fifteen minutes later*
    Me: HAHAHAHAHA! Oh wait this is actually supposed to be serious? Uh...don't know if want.

Basically

What I watched: New Fist of the North Star
    What I expected: Violence Jack with less shirts and some martial arts stuff
    What I got: Hilariously cheesy story and super-exploding head anime

It really isn't very good. Not saying that it's bad, but there's better stuff out there.

JONJONAUG on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So I just watched Summer Wars. Wow what an excellent movie, if you are able definitely track it down and watch it. A lot of great ideas and themes in the movie and very very enjoyable all around. It's a movie that can leave you smiling when it is done, which I always like.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    JONJONAUG wrote: »

My reaction was pretty much the exact opposite.

*Rents New Fist of the North Star*
    Me: I've heard very little about this show, but it looks like Violence Jack with less shirts.
    *About fifteen minutes later*
    Me: HAHAHAHAHA! Oh wait this is actually supposed to be serious? Uh...don't know if want.

Basically

What I watched: New Fist of the North Star
    What I expected: Violence Jack with less shirts and some martial arts stuff
    What I got: Hilariously cheesy story and super-exploding head anime

It really isn't very good. Not saying that it's bad, but there's better stuff out there.

That's part of what makes it great, is the over-the-top cheesiness. Keep in mind that I find absolutely nothing wrong with, say, G Gundam. I had a blast with New Fist of the North Star, despite the overcompression. I mean, he punched a cave and the cave lost. How is that not awesome?

Now, a related show that's actually a damn sight cooler is Souten no Ken, or Fist of the Blue Sky. It's a prequel series done by the guys who did Fist of the North Star, and it concerns Kenshiro's uncle (Kasumi Kenshiro) in a pre-World War 2 Shanghai. It's still pretty serious, but the setting lends itself to that much moreso (and it also isn't afraid to poke fun at itself, like with cyborg mafia lords).

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Everyone's favorite Air Gear character had another cameo.
    15.jpg

For those not aware, yes, that is Barack Obama. Or rather, John Omaha, President of the United States

Jragghen on
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    There are a lot of positive reactions to Summer Wars already, which is good, but I think I'm going to wait for a better copy (one without the Korean subtitles) to come out, and maybe even the Blu-ray, which should make the Oz segments even more trippy.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    WingoWingo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Okay, here's a request. Anybody know a good show similar to Baccano? Baccano in the meaning of "flashy time skip-y show that doesn't give a shit whether you get it at first"? I'm really enjoying the show so far (Ep.7 or so), and now I'm curious whether there's anything like it out there.

Any comment appreciated! :mrgreen:

Wingo on
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Railgun 9
    So the Level Upper is an mp3? If such a thing really existed it'd be all over the torrents already! I am kind of surprised by the amount of abuse Shirai gets by the villians of the week, but they all make the same mistake: They monologue.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    darksteel wrote: »
    There are a lot of positive reactions to Summer Wars already, which is good, but I think I'm going to wait for a better copy (one without the Korean subtitles) to come out, and maybe even the Blu-ray, which should make the Oz segments even more trippy.

I could see it benefiting from Blu-Ray, it's animated really well. The copy out around does seem to have some audio sync issues as well later on in the movie. Nothing to make it unwatchable but it can be a bit annoying.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Get the original 1.36GB "raw" of the movie and use it with the subtitles. The ~850MB video that comes with the subs is just re-encoded version of it (that desyncs).

Glal on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The original broadcast release of Haruhi has some neat playing with the story order.

Also Fist of the North Star rocks, and haters are on notice.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    kdrudy wrote: »

I could see it benefiting from Blu-Ray, it's animated really well. The copy out around does seem to have some audio sync issues as well later on in the movie. Nothing to make it unwatchable but it can be a bit annoying.

BD version is only coming out in six months though :x

Falx on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Black Lagoon's dub was far and away better than the Japanese.

It one of those shows like Bebop where an english dub enhances the setting.

Gunsmith Cats is, I suppose, better in English too. I'm not a huge fan of the BL dub, though I do very much prefer Cowboy Bebop's English, primarily for Beau Billingslea's performance as Jet Black.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Railgun 9
    So the Level Upper is an mp3? If such a thing really existed it'd be all over the torrents already! I am kind of surprised by the amount of abuse Shirai gets by the villians of the week, but they all make the same mistake: They monologue.
    I kinda figured as much, since that one guy was listenin to music all the time. Why it isn't all over the web, I'm not sure :P I think it probably has to do with the city they're in. There's already a bunch of special stuff the city has. Maybe they have super restrictive internet usage.

The guy was following her by her footsteps. She kept on moving up, so he could hear her above him. Wasn't just the monologing.

skettios on
  • Options
    ACSISACSIS Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Trigun, Vampire Hunter D, Ninja Scroll, Death Note, Hellsing and...

ACSIS on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Railgun 9
    It was originally on a website that was taken down. Anti-skill or whoever apparently has been putting energy into preventing it from spreading. At some point you have to suspend disbelief and assume that they actually have something like the capacity to do that. The idea of an origination being able to stop the distribution of various files on the internet is a bit more laughable than a high school girl who can control electricity though.

More realistically. It works by some handwaving involving synesthesia. It would have to be a pretty complex audio file, and MP3s are lossy. They could make the argument that it would have to be in a lossless format, and most people with lives outside of the 'scene' can't really be arsed to dick around with massive FLAC files. It probably wouldn't be that easy to find torrents.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    No mention of Big O for dubs? Criminal.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Big O is hardly "the last few years", otherwise I would have mentioned it myself.

setrajonas on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    For something that was within the last few years and hasn't been mentioned already, Gun x Sword had a pretty good dub. Van's English VA was great at sounding grumpy which was basically what the character was like most of the time.

Slicer on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    These days it is a lot harder to find a cringe worthy dub than it used to be. Acceptable, mediocre, and other such adjectives are much more common place when describing dubs.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Having been away from my computer for a good five days, I am now completely lost with regards to Gankustuo (as are, apparently, roughly 200 or so posts). What chapter ought we to be up to by now?

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think it's 12, but I'll have to double check.

I'm still behind since I have been pretty busy lately but this week will definitely be the time I catch up on it and I mean it this time.

Slicer on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ACSIS wrote: »

Trigun, Vampire Hunter D, Ninja Scroll, Death Note, Hellsing and...

Yes, but that would involve watching Gundam Seed.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    redx wrote: »
    Railgun 9
    It was originally on a website that was taken down. Anti-skill or whoever apparently has been putting energy into preventing it from spreading. At some point you have to suspend disbelief and assume that they actually have something like the capacity to do that. The idea of an origination being able to stop the distribution of various files on the internet is a bit more laughable than a high school girl who can control electricity though.

More realistically. It works by some handwaving involving synesthesia. It would have to be a pretty complex audio file, and MP3s are lossy. They could make the argument that it would have to be in a lossless format, and most people with lives outside of the 'scene' can't really be arsed to dick around with massive FLAC files. It probably wouldn't be that easy to find torrents.
    It sounds laughable that anti-skill could slow file distribution, but this is a city built expressly for research in psionics, some of it highly classified. Keeping a tight leash on information is an absolute necessity in this town, and they'd be seriously dumb to not have control of local ISPs. While they can't monitor every file transfer ever, they certainly can aggressively monitor traffic and take action against IPs involved with torrenting and the like. Meaning it has become very difficult to find online, leading to extortion rackets like the one we saw this episode.

Which doesn't quite jive with whole forums of users being able to post HEY GUYS LET'S MEET UP AT DENNY'S, THE SECRET PASSWORD IS ____, but hey.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm gonna make an obscure refference to an obscure anime.
    I've been playing Dragon Age and I named the dog Gouron, the same as the one from The Twelve Kingdoms.

Recently I rewatched Tekkin Kinkreet. Theres something about how visceral the entire experience. The turbo violence can be so disturbing, or should I say enthralling? And man the dub is great. When theres as much screaming and crying as this you need to get the VA right.

Lenore03 on
  • Options
    SomethingorotherSomethingorother Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Lovely wrote: »
    setrajonas wrote: »
    Umineko 6 portrait / cover / various screenshots. Spoilers, obviously.

http://d-stage.com/shop/detail.php?seq=11975

Portrait 6 is so god damned hot.....

....Um. .... *cough* sorry.

As a side note, Witch Hunt has mentioned that the Episode 5 patch should be out before the end of the year. Which is close enough I suppose, but still..... the wait is killing me :( .
    Moar Battler fanart has spawned as well. This shit looks intense!!!

Somethingorother on
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Lenore03 wrote: »
    I'm gonna make an obscure refference to an obscure anime.
    I've been playing Dragon Age and I named the dog Gouron, the same as the one from The Twelve Kingdoms.

haha, nice :^:

skettios on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Yes, but that would involve watching Gundam Seed.

Hey now, SEED was not all that bad.

It's not off the tracks terrible like Destiny, it's at least on par with the vast majority of the other gundam series. And the dub was aces.

Full Metal Panic had a pretty great dub.

Kelor on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    FLCL dub is the best.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ok, I got nothin'...
    037_01.jpg

Apparently a manga series teaching Japanese how to talk "casually" in English, the phrases are actually contributed by U.S. Marines stationed in Japan, which accounts for the above. It is, evidently, absolutely hilarious, especially the CDs that come with them.

By hook or by crook, I must find this series.

EDIT: Perhaps this audio from one of the CDs can more vividly explain this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9EPscb41M4&feature=player_embedded

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ok, I got nothin'...
    037_01.jpg

Apparently a manga series teaching Japanese how to talk "casually" in English, the phrases are actually contributed by U.S. Marines stationed in Japan, which accounts for the above. It is, evidently, absolutely hilarious, especially the CDs that come with them.

By hook or by crook, I must find this series.

Holy crap...

Falx on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This may be the most awesome thing Japan has done since they smashed the ever-loving crap out of the Russians.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I can support an adorable girl telling me to go beat those evil fuckers now.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    http://myanimelist.net/manga.php?id=16070
    The premise is simple. You follow the days of Sergeant Maritan, a Drill Instructor of um… the U.S. Marines? Well, yeah. Apparently, Maritan is actually a Princess from the Magical Kingdom of Paris Island, which has signed a treaty of co-operation and friendship with the Great United States of America. God bless America. Maritan usually goes around abusing training raw meat recruit Army-tan, under the supervision of Lieutanent Commander Navy-tan. There’s a GA-tan somewhere near the end too, a meganekko attached from the Self Defence Forces, it seems.

Edit:

Damn, no one seems to be scanlating this. This is a crime!

Found this

Falx on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The most awesome thing is Chiyo-chan of Azumanga Daioh fame voicing Army-tan. Cussing.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
This discussion has been closed.