As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The D&D Blu Ray Thread

12345679»

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    I easily have 200+ DVDs at home and I really don't know what to do with them. I want to get rid of them, but I don't just want to throw them out!

DVDs still look pretty legit if you've got a player that will upscale them

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I easily have 200+ DVDs at home and I really don't know what to do with them. I want to get rid of them, but I don't just want to throw them out!

You can mail them to me.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    or you can sell them, I guess

I had an outrageous DVD collection

I put a good chunk of them online on various game trading forums at $5/each and I think I made about $600

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've still got over 1k DVDs, even after giving away a shit-ton to one of my best friends.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I have a couple hundred and do not plan on getting rid of them. A lot of them will most likely not be made again for a long time.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    I've got somewhere between 700-1000 at last count, and I'm running out of space again, on the custom shelves (two of them) I had built to accommodate that many. I really should go through them, and see what I can get rid of.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've rated tons of movies that I've seen on Netflix, back for well over a decade. I think I'm at like 500 movies, many of which I'd never want to see again.

What the hell were you guys buying?

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm sure my local library system would take any DVDs I didn't want anymore. They loan them out nowadays, just like books.

LaOs on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    EggyToast wrote: »
    I've rated tons of movies that I've seen on Netflix, back for well over a decade. I think I'm at like 500 movies, many of which I'd never want to see again.

Really. I have like... 60 movies tops. And, outside of buying the entire Criterion Collection, I'm not really sure what else I want to own.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I don't see the appeal of Sports cards, Anime figures, playing endless amounts of video games, Tabletop RPGs, and a bunch of other hobbies people around here seem to have. We all have our own silly hobbies. I actually watch movies multiple times. I only buy a movie if I'm sure I'll watch it repeatedly. They're something I can come back to and continue to enjoy.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    EggyToast wrote: »

Anything that I enjoyed that was cheap. Which honestly, I'm kind of regretting. I went through my collection last night, and pulled 32 movies to sell off. If I don't expect to watch it at least two or three more times, I'm going to force myself to not buy anymore movies.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    chasm wrote: »
    Hurt Locker now, Moon later.

I actually ended up with both. My local BB was sold out of Hurt Locker, and they only had one copy of Moon left. So I grabbed that, not wanting to go completely empty-handed, and decided to hit up Target on the way home. They still had some Hurt Locker copies left, so I grabbed that as well. Still haven't watched either. Stupid commute sucking all my energy, grrr. :P

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    shryke wrote: »
    Yar wrote: »
    It's not like DVDs didn't do the same thing.
    No, they didn't, neither did HD-DVDs. Bluray is a frustrating as shit format.

Oh yes, they did.

DVDs pioneered the unskippable trailers thing.

Of course, there it was usually only a choice of "Do I Chapter Skip them or Fast Forward through them". And then there were the canny ones that disabled both of those but left the menu button working, just to fake you out!
    I own hundreds of DVDs. It was very rare for any of them to pull this crap. Very rare. I can only think of one Blu-ray so far that hasn't.

Yar on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I remember someone recommending a really cheap place to get blu-ray online, but now I can't find it. Anyone remember where it was?

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

DVDs still look pretty legit if you've got a player that will upscale them

I do agree. But a lot of the movies I have are starting to get upgraded to Blu-Ray.

For example, Lastnight I picked up the Matrix, Fight Club, Army of Darkness, 300 and Reservoir Dogs in Blu-Ray. I have most of these on DVD, but I picked them up because they were all less than $20.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I have like 500 dvds and maybe 150 blu-rays now.

my dvd collection, considering its size, is kinda weak. My tastes have changed a lot since I first started building it.

my blu-ray collection I've tried to keep of a higher quality but there's still SOME stuff I regret.

I'd sell off some of my dvds and even a couple of blu-rays but the payoff is barely worth the hassle. if I find myself needing money, I'll do it. otherwise doubles go in the closet.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Oh yes, they did.

Of course, there it was usually only a choice of "Do I Chapter Skip them or Fast Forward through them". And then there were the canny ones that disabled both of those but left the menu button working, just to fake you out!
    I own hundreds of DVDs. It was very rare for any of them to pull this crap. Very rare. I can only think of one Blu-ray so far that hasn't.

I think your memory is faulty. I can't think of many DVDs I have that DON'T pull something like this.

Pretty much all DVDs disable the menu button till you've gone through some ads or logos or previews or whatever.

shryke on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2010
    The best remote though is the Logtech Harmony 1100, with the IR blaster and the bluetooth module for the PS3.

shit is amazing, people used to pay thousands of dollars for a remote that now costs less than 400 with all the addons if you buy through amazon.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Oh yes, they did.

I think your memory is faulty. I can't think of many DVDs I have that DON'T pull something like this.

Pretty much all DVDs disable the menu button till you've gone through some ads or logos or previews or whatever.
    Nuh-uh, you are.

I love the Harmony. I only have one of the cheaper ones, but I would love that tabletop dealio.

Yar on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Oh yes, they did.

Though, if you find yourself watching the dvd's on your computer and on VLC it will skip all of that and go to the menu regardless of what the disk wants you to do.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Got my BR reader installed on my PC. Seems to work alright (after AnyDVD allowed me to use my non-HDCP monitor). But the stupid blu-ray firmware updater garbage gives me a UAC prompt every time I start my computer. Boo.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I remember someone recommending a really cheap place to get blu-ray online, but now I can't find it. Anyone remember where it was?

Here's one site that's been thrown out (haven't used it myself): http://www.blu-rayboxsets.com/

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    blu-rayboxsets just shows the third party prices from amazon.

or that's all it was last time I looked about a year ago. I wouldn't expect that it's changed.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I blind-preordered A Serious Man because it's a coen brothers film that's been reviewed very favorably. To get free shipping I stuck Fargo on blu-ray on the order too, because the price is down to $10.49. Thankfully I never owned it on DVD, so no worry about duplicates there.

It is too bad that the coens never have any commentary or much in the way of special features on their discs. I almost never watch those kind of special features, but I'd make an exception for those guys. Alas...

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Took the plunge and bought a Blu-Ray player last week. Absolutely love it, and despite what some people say, I think my player does a very nice job upconverting. I bought a Sony S-360. Now I have Band of Brothers Blu-Ray coming next week, and I can't wait.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Band of Brothers is fantastic on BluRay.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.