As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The D&D Blu Ray Thread

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, just double checked the disk.

If I want the theatrical version of the Watchmen, I can download it now. If I want the Director's cut, I need to fill out a form and wait 8-10 weeks for shipping. The director's cut is the goddamn BluRay version I bought.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    So who else is pissed that the Menu button is disabled during the goddamn previews on discs?

I always hated previews for home movies anyway, but now they're all unskippable unless I keep hitting Next Chapter. District 9 had a red band trailer I actually considered watching for 1/2 a second before realizing I have the Internet to watch ads.

How long before they start streaming new trailers onto BD players?

Another annoying bit about the pre-movie crap on BDs is that there are a bajillion different ways to skip past the stuff, and all the disks have different methods. Sometimes I have to hit the menu button. Sometimes I have to hit the system-menu button. Sometimes I have to use chapter-skip. Sometimes I have to hit chapter-skip and then the menu button.

For fuck sake, people, standardize.

Standardize? Hahah, what do you think they are? HD-DVDs?

After a little research, Blu-Rays ARE region coded but Region A covers the best places like the US and Japan. Importing away!

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Yeah, just double checked the disk.

If I want the theatrical version of the Watchmen, I can download it now. If I want the Director's cut, I need to fill out a form and wait 8-10 weeks for shipping. The director's cut is the goddamn BluRay version I bought.

See if your local video store has it...

That is pretty messed up. So they want to snail mail you a "digital copy" of a movie you own? Surprised they didn't just send you two free movie tickets.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    So who else is pissed that the Menu button is disabled during the goddamn previews on discs?

I always hated previews for home movies anyway, but now they're all unskippable unless I keep hitting Next Chapter. District 9 had a red band trailer I actually considered watching for 1/2 a second before realizing I have the Internet to watch ads.

Another annoying bit about the pre-movie crap on BDs is that there are a bajillion different ways to skip past the stuff, and all the disks have different methods. Sometimes I have to hit the menu button. Sometimes I have to hit the system-menu button. Sometimes I have to use chapter-skip. Sometimes I have to hit chapter-skip and then the menu button.

After a little research, Blu-Rays ARE region coded but Region A covers the best places like the US and Japan. Importing away!

Post your collection for this thread too, B:L

Falx on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Got a PS3 for christmas and decided to get some Blu-Rays with it. Ended up ordering Band of Brothers, Generation Kill, and Inglourious Basterds. They're all excellent. Gonna have to pick up the Kill Bills, the Bourne Trilogy, Serenity, and Shaun of the Dead when I get a chance.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

This is why I like the PS3. You bring up the on-screen commands by pressing circle, and it's either "Top Menu" or "Title Menu" that gets you to the main screen.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2010

This is why I like the PS3. You bring up the on-screen commands by pressing circle, and it's either "Top Menu" or "Title Menu" that gets you to the main screen.

I have a PS3. And those two still don't always work. And why are there two different fucking menu buttons that can do the same thing, anyway? It's stupid to not have standardization for this shit. It's also stupid to sometimes just not allow you to skip to the main menu. Does Disney really think that after the 373rd time of skipping past their half-dozen trailers I'm finally going to cave and buy Cinderella 3?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's not like DVDs didn't do the same thing.

shryke on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's gotten worse.

They disable the Top/Main Menu buttons now. It should be unniversal that to get to the menu screen I press Menu, wherever I am on the disc.

ElJeffe - there's different menus; the Top goes to the main screen, the 'PopUp' button pulls up the in-line menu if they have one. D9 and Iron Man both do, not sure which other discs off the top of my head.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    shryke wrote: »
    No, they didn't, neither did HD-DVDs. Bluray is a frustrating as shit format.

Yar on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yar wrote: »

Oh yes, they did.

DVDs pioneered the unskippable trailers thing.

Of course, there it was usually only a choice of "Do I Chapter Skip them or Fast Forward through them". And then there were the canny ones that disabled both of those but left the menu button working, just to fake you out!

shryke on
  • Options
    nescientistnescientist Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yar wrote: »

Like one or two Disney movies did, I think. They used the same thing that prevents you from navigating away from the "WARNING! PIRACY IS A CRIMINAL MATTER! YOU WILL BE DRAWN AND QUARTERED!" screen. There was a fuss, and then it never, ever happened again. Except for a couple times. When it happened again.

nescientist on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Falx wrote: »
    B:L wrote: »

Post your collection for this thread too, B:L

Well if you insist.
    blbooray.jpg

You were talking about my Blu-Ray collection, right?

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2010
    Technically VHS pioneered the unskippable trailers thing.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

True. DVDs more pioneered undermining the new technology in order to keep having them.

shryke on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    As someone who authored a few DVDs, it's trivial to simply check the box that says "Make Unskippable" and then that's that -- can't hit menu, can't hit "next." It's entirely up to whoever produces the disc to both put previews on there and to make unskippable (or almost unskippable) trailers on there. What I think is worst is the "Blu-Ray is Awesome!" ads. Like, yes, I'm seeing this on blu-ray, thank you.

Hopefully it gets "better" now that we seem to be getting rental blu-rays. Honestly, I don't really mind if I have to press 3 buttons to figure out how to skip through the trailers on a movie I got from Netflix. On one that I own, though, I don't want to be skipping the same shit each time I put it in.

Still, at least now there are quite a few films that simply put Trailers in the "Extras" menu and cut right to the movie.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    Ah yes, the ads trying to sell me bluray, on the bluray disc I'm already watching at home. Way to think through those ads, assholes.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    mayne you have blu-ray but you don't totally believe in blu-ray yet though.

ahaha. shit's annoying and retarded.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I can just imagine someone with a new player, the bubble-wrap still in hand, standing in front of their new HDTV;
    "Wow, I was all set to return this, but that preview really sold me. Honey, come look at this!

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'd imagine it's really there to sell blu-ray to your friends.

They don't realize that blu-ray fans are doing that already.

Variable on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    I'd imagine it's really there to sell blu-ray to your friends.

They don't realize that blu-ray fans are doing that already.

It's like all the ads for the NFL you see during football games.

"Oh, shit! Really? NFL? I have to get me some of that!"

Or the millions of dollars spent on Super Bowl ads for products that have market saturation so high that people that live in huts in Cambodia know about it.

"You know, I forgot how much I like Coke. I'm glad this commercial reminded me of its existence. I had been planning on drinking the first wet substance I could find. But not now. Thanks, Coke."

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I can't just type lol but that post made me laugh.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    I can't just type lol but that post made me laugh.

I do what I can . . .

Atomika on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Did the fast forward button on your VCR break off?

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What amazes me are people who bitch about studios not putting out movies on VHS or balk at $30 for a bottom-rung DVD player. WTF is wrong with some people?

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    chasm wrote: »
    What amazes me are people who bitch about studios not putting out movies on VHS or balk at $30 for a bottom-rung DVD player. WTF is wrong with some people?

What blighted hellscape do you live in where people are clamoring for movies on VHS?

Atomika on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ah yes, the ads trying to sell me bluray, on the bluray disc I'm already watching at home. Way to think through those ads, assholes.

BLURAY, THE BEST WAY TO WATCH MOVIES AT HOME, EVER.

The one time I said "No shit, that's why I spent $1800 on this home entertainment system" back at the preview made me worried for my own sanity.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I have a PS3. And those two still don't always work. And why are there two different fucking menu buttons that can do the same thing, anyway? It's stupid to not have standardization for this shit. It's also stupid to sometimes just not allow you to skip to the main menu. Does Disney really think that after the 373rd time of skipping past their half-dozen trailers I'm finally going to cave and buy Cinderella 3?

Now it is time for the "even though Arch knows a lot about biology he sometimes (often) displays a stunning lack of knowledge outside of that sphere" moment of the day.

I never really watched movies on my Ps2, but now that I have my Ps3 and home theater set up...what exactly do all the buttons on the ps3 controller translate to when watching movies?

Sometimes I hit stuff and it does things and then I don't know how I did those things....

Also I am sure there are things that I could be doing that I am not. Maybe not though.

Anyway....Christmas was pretty good to me. Got Watchmen director's cut, Pan's Labyrinth, and the shitty american Godzilla.

Arch on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    LB/RB Skips Scenes
    LT/RT Fast Forwards when held

Start Pauses

Triangle brings up the PS3 Menu

X resumes or selects

I think that's all you need to know.

(Or just buy the $30 remote)

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's actually a pretty nice remote, and Bluetooth, so you don't even have to point it at anything.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Houn wrote: »
    It's actually a pretty nice remote, and Bluetooth, so you don't even have to point it at anything.

hmmmmmm

Arch on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Arch wrote: »

hmmmmmm

Dude, are you listening? I can have it cocked at an angle, behind the couch, under a pillow, and it will still control the screen. I can set it near me, and with a single finger I can but reach over and fully control the brightly flashing screen in front of me. Lifting? Pointing? These are antiquated ideas, a Neanderthal solution to the challenges of today's modern entertainment.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

hmmmmmm

Dude, are you listening? I can have it cocked at an angle, behind the couch, under a pillow, and it will still control the screen. I can set it near me, and with a single finger I can but reach over and fully control the brightly flashing screen in front of me. Lifting? Pointing? These are antiquated ideas, a Neanderthal solution to the challenges of today's modern entertainment.

apparently my hmmmmm was not eloquent enough

brb gettin this payday

Arch on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

hmmmmmm

I was wondering what the limits were for the bluetooth remote, so I messed around a bit one day. Turns out it works from every point in our condo - whether that be from the bathroom 2 rooms over with the door closed, or from inside the refrigerator. You know, just in case :P

Ketar on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Okay so QUESTIONS

My TV only does 720p. Is it worth buying a blu-ray player given that my max res isn't 1080p?

If so, which stand-alone player would you guys recommend? I don't give a damn about youtube or Netflix streaming or any of that crap - I can stream Netflix over my 360. All I want is a high-quality, barebones deck.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    my TV is a 720p set -- it accepts 1080p but scales it down. My living room is big enough and my TV is a good size so I'm far enough away that I don't see any difference. If I sit in the middle of the room I can start to see more of the fine details of the TV (rather than seeing the picture) so if my TV was bigger I would've wanted to get a 1080p set (and have an extra 500 dollars when I bought the thing, of course).

And yes, I see a very significant difference even w/o watching it at completely full resolution.

EggyToast on
  • Options
    polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

What I love even more is the fact that studios put those same ads on DVD's. Yep, I can totally see how awesome Blu-ray looks on this upscaled DVD!

So, since joining the cool kids club (PS3 purchased on Black Friday), I made a silent agreement with myself that I would not go crazy with replacing things I already owned on DVD. But week after week, retailers keep making me betray myself as they sell catalog titles for like, $10. My collection went from the paltry 2 titles I picked up with the hardware to almost 25 in a little over a month. So far I am not doing well keeping promises to myself. :P

I'm thinking about picking up either Hurt Locker or Moon today, but I haven't seen either one yet. Based on comments I've seen here and from co-workers and such, I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy both enough to own, but I'm only going to be getting one at first. I know Hurt Locker will have more "bang" (no pun intended), but what say you, PA thread?

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hurt Locker now, Moon later.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I've been using Goozex to get rid of DVDs that are semi-popular but that I want to rebuy on blu-ray. There are fewer blu-rays flying around the service than DVDs, but most DVDs are essentially worthless.

I have had some luck selling the occasional DVD on eBay, though, as long as they seem to typically go for between 2-5 bucks. Anything less than that isn't worth it to me. Since eBay lets you list 5 things for free each month, it and Goozex have been a nice way for me to get rid of DVDs and slowly get blu-rays in their place.

It also helps me clear out DVDs that, in hindsight, I'm not sure why I bought. I must say that I'm very happy that blu-ray purchases seem much more focused on 'It looks great!' and less "it was really cheap at blockbuster"

EggyToast on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I easily have 200+ DVDs at home and I really don't know what to do with them. I want to get rid of them, but I don't just want to throw them out!

Sharp101 on