As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E IC] The Second Son

• Options
    soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My main attack gives a slide on a hit, so coordinate you blasts with me and I'll try and get the enemy into position. Also, for this combat, I can keep the hobgobs from standing next to each other, so if your attacking ac wait forme to do that.

soxbox on
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well, now we just have to wait for their turn.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    robp85robp85 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Round 1.5

Both the hobgoblins charge forward at Shield swinging their flails wildly. The warforged ducks and dodges the would-be blows with ease until one of the enemies finally plants a foot into the midsection of the paladin doubling him over. It becomes obvious that the hobgoblin gains some confidence as he raises his fist into the air and laughs.

This may be harder than orginally expected.

Hobgoblin 1 moves to G8.
    Hobgoblin 1 uses flail vs Shield (AC:20) = 20 Hit for 7 damage!
    Shield is now marked by Hobgoblin 1.

Hobgoblin 2 moves to G7.
    Hobgoblin 2 uses Formation Strike vs Shield (AC:20) = 16 Miss!

Map will be updated here later when I'm at my computer.

Alester Cromwell - 25/25 - AC19/F12/R15/W16 - HS 7/7 - AP 1/2
    @C6 - Status: Normal.
    Chloro - 28/28 - AC16/F13/R13/W15 - HS 10/10 - AP 1/2
    @C5 - Status: Normal.
    Keldyn Sodosa - 23/23 - AC16/F12/R15/W15 - HS 7/7 - AP 1/2
    @C8 - Status: Normal.
    Rune - 32/32 - AC14/F15/R13/W12 - HS 11/11 - AP 1/2
    @C7 - Status: Normal.
    Shield - 29/36 - AC20/F15/R13/W14 - HS 13/13 - AP 1/2
    @F8 - Status: Normal.
    Zamiel - 22/22 - AC16/F10/R11/W16 - HS 7/7 - AP 1/2
    @D5 - Status: Normal.
    Hobgoblin Soldier 1 - 47/47 - AC20/F18/R16/W16
    @K8 - Status: +2 AC when next to other Hobgoblin Soldier.
    Hobgoblin Soldier 2 - 47/47 - AC20/F18/R16/W16
    @K7 - Status: +2 AC when next to other Hobgoblin Soldier.

Next up: Everyone!

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Zamiel is startled by the sudden attack, but quickly regains his composure when Shield gets booted. Allowing his walking stick to fall to the crook of his arm, he grasps the holy symbol at his neck. "Steady, steady," he mutters to himself, waiting for Shield to regain his footing.

Zamiel's eyes narrow and he gestures at the Hobgoblin who struck Shield. The creature starts as he is suddenly surrounded by a clinging gray mist. "Your fate unravels," Zamiel hisses in Goblin.

"Shield! Hit him now!".

Readied action to attack Hobgoblin 1 just before Shield's turn.
    Astral Seal vs. Hobgoblin 1 (R:16) = 21 Hit, Hobgoblin 1 takes a -2 penalty to all defenses.
    The next ally to hit Hobgoblin 1 regains 9 hit points

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Now if someone can just separate them a little.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Rune shakes his head, and his typically unreadable expressions creases into the barest of grins. "You are all out of shape, my friends. Too much ale and animal flesh. Let me show you how one deals with hobgoblins!"

The warforged raises his left hand, palm outstretched at the nearest hobgoblin. A pulse of reddish-green light emenates from his hand and streaks toward Rune's foe. As the orb slowly revolves around the goblinoid, two lengths of chain burst forth and encircle the soldier. As the icy shackles constrict the soldier, the ends of the chain fly directly back to the warlocks waiting hand.

"I wouldn't move if I were you. Or go ahead and run, I don't care."

As Rune taunts the hobgoblin, he slowly moves to the west, whisps of inky darkness obscuring his position on the battlefield.

Minor: Curse HS1
    Standard: Chains of Levistus vs HS1 (18): 1d20+6 21 2d6+5+1d6 15

If HS1 moves before the EOMNT, he'll take 7 extra cold damage, and I gain a +2 power bonus to my next attack roll against HS1 before the EOMNT.

Move: to F4 to gain concealment from Shadow Walk until the EOMNT. (+2 to all defenses)

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Who attacks next?

Brody on

• Options
    SuperRuperSuperRuper Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I am, I'm just trying to get on Orokos, I can't get on for some reason...Apparently IC is down too.

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ChemENGR
  • Options
    Kevin R BrownKevin R Brown __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Alester keeps a disdainful watch over the goblins as the charge recklessly forward.

Pathetic. But I suppose that's a compliment for such vermin.

The witch slayer strides across Shield's flank to intercept one of the hobgoblins (Move to F6), a bright glow flaring-up around him, and sweeps his greatsword through one of the creature's shoulders - casting a mist of it's rancid flesh and blood through the air.

Shielded bhy Faith vs AC: 1d20+8 9 1d20+8 25
    Shielded By Faith DMG: 2d10+4 13

I have a +4 bonus to AC until the end of my next turn.

...Damn, that damage roll sucked. :P

Kevin R Brown on
    ' As always when their class interests are at stake, the capitalists can dispense with noble sentiments like the right to free speech or the struggle against tyranny.'
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ardent Strike vs AC20: 1d20+7 20 1d10+4 8 Hob-gob 1 takes 8 for the team, and I regain 9.

Divine Challenge against HG2

Chuckling more of his raspy chuckles, Shield raises his hammer, dedicating this strike to the god of law. And the strike runs true, letting the goblin know just how awesome it felt to get kicked in the face.

Brody on

• Options
    edited November 2009
    Keldyn continues holding his orb before him, mumbling incoherently. He opens his eyes and points to the left of the Hobgoblin before Shield. "MOVE!" he commands as a barrage of horrid bird beasts emerge from the ground at the creature's feet, causing him to stumble back in fear.

Phantom Bolt vs Will on Hobgoblin 1: 1d20+5 19 1d8+4 6

Hobgoblin 1 is slid to H9. He's now at 16 HP, and will take an additional 7HP if he moves (which he'll have to make any melee attacks). I also have combat advantage against him until EOMNT.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Does Phantom Bolt give him the 7 damage to move? Or is that still from the the chains?

Brody on

• Options
    edited November 2009
    That'd still be from the chains, I'm quite sure. Also, congrats on the hit, it's good to be healin' folks again.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Chloro sees the events happening around him and reacts. he runs to the side and reaches out to the nearest Hobgoblin. As he thrusts his hands forward, they form a whip which wraps itself around the monster and pulls it closer. His robe suddenly drops as his body bursts into a swarm of locusts.

"Come and get it, ugly."

Move to E3

Thorn Whip vs. FORT HobGob 2 (IC is down and I can't get on Orokos so I rolled myself...and crit'd. But you can just count it as a regular hit if you'd rather see proof. 1d8+4 : 5+4 : 9 damage. and he's pulled 2 squares to F5)

Minor: Beast Form. I can't get on Orokos for some reason. This saddens me...

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    That's everybody - hobgoblins up. We should probably keep an 'up next' going in the footer so we know who's still to act.

Most problems with orokos not letting you log in can be fixed by deleting all your cookies from orokos and trying again.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    That's weird that you're having trouble with Orokos and Invisible Castle. I would agree with Sox, try deleting your cookies and see what happens. I'm accessing it fine.

From now on, if you're having trouble rolling online for some reason, let me know in a PM or on the boards and I'll be happy to roll for you. If I can't get to one of those sites, I can always find another.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Round 2.5

Having been pretty easily separated and hurt badly, the hobgoblins seem to hesitate momentarily. That only lasts a moment, though, as they begin maneuvering as a team. Through some careful steps, they are able to put themselves next to each other once again. Both swing their flails at the avenger and while Alester easily ducks the first attack, the second catches him on the shoulder causing pain to shoot through his arm. The hobgoblins are back and focused.

HS1 moves to G7 and takes 7 damage.
    HS1 takes 4 damage for not attacking Shield and takes a -2 penalty to the attack roll.
    Flail vs Alester (AC:19) = 10 Miss!

HS2 shifts to G6.
    HS2 takes 4 damage for not attacking Shield and takes a -2 penalty to the attack roll.
    Flail vs Alester (AC:19) = 24 Hit for 10 damage!
    Alester is now Marked by HS2.

Initiative:
    Shield
    Keldyn
    Alester

Hobgoblin Soldier 1
    Hobgoblin Soldier 2

Chloro
    Rune
    Zamiel

Note about initiative. I don't care when you go as long as it's in your "initiative block". That means, at this point, Shield, Keldyn and Alester can go in any order. Chloro, Rune and Zamiel must wait for the Hobgoblins to go before they can go. Hope that makes sense to everyone. Let me know if it doesn't.

Map:
    dxgvnd.png

Note:
    The tree trunks (H5, H12, D13) are impassable and block line of sight.
    The water is difficult terrain.
    Bush at F7 is difficult terrain but provides cover.

Alester Cromwell - 15/25 - AC19/F12/R15/W16 - HS 7/7 - AP 1/2
    @F6 - Status: Marked by HS2.
    @E3 - Status: Normal.
    @F4 - Status: Normal.
    Shield - 36/36 - AC20/F15/R13/W14 - HS 13/13 - AP 1/2
    Hobgoblin Soldier 1 - 5/47 - AC20/F18/R16/W16
    @G7 - Status: +2 AC when next to other Hobgoblin Soldier. Bloodied.
    Hobgoblin Soldier 2 - 18/47 - AC20/F18/R16/W16
    @G6 - Status: +2 AC when next to other Hobgoblin Soldier. Bloodied. Oath of Enmity. Divine Challenge.

Next up: Everyone!

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Wait, Hobgob 1 couldnt hit Alester from G8? Also, both are had Divine Challenge on them, one from ardent strike, the other from the divine challenge power.

Also, how does shifting and difficult terrain work?

Brody on

• Options
    edited November 2009
    Alester feels the goblin's hefty weapon peel away his Earthly flesh, but is unshaken by the blow. He simply step to one side (shift to F5) and sweeps his weapon right across the brow of his sworn adversary, circling around him and forcing him to expose his flank.

Overwhelming Strike vs AC: 1d20+8 27 1d20+8 14

Overwhelming Strike DMG: 1d10+4 8

8 Damage to the HG2, and I shift to G5 while sliding the thilthy little goblin into F5

Kevin R Brown on
    ' As always when their class interests are at stake, the capitalists can dispense with noble sentiments like the right to free speech or the struggle against tyranny.'
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I think G8 was just a typo, Brody. The little bastard is in G7.

He'll pay, though. They all pay. :lol:

They also were noted as taking the damage from your sanction.

EDIT: Oh, never mind. HG 2 didn't take the 4 damage from your sanction. Good call!

EDIT 2: ...And I'm a dumbass. I shouldn't have shifted HG2 where I did; for some reason I thought we had a rogue or something that could take advantage of the easy CA.

All I did was screw-up AoE damage powers. :(

My bad.

Kevin R Brown on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I guess its too late for that anyways. Crit an ardent strike, although suddenly I can't reach HG1, so 14? dmg to HG2.

Ardent Strike vs 22: 1d20+7 27 1d10+4 7

I though he moved HG1, fixing post

OMG so confused. Ok. I thought HG1 was the one in front of you, and HG2 was closest to me.

I swing first, then move to F6 and Divine challenge HG2.

Calling out,

BAHAMUT GUIDE ME!

Shield raises his hammer, bringing it down with a resounding crack on the nearest goblin.

Moved to F6, and I think HG1 is dead.

Brody on

• Options
    edited November 2009
    ...Why couldn't you hit HG1? That's the one standing right next to you.

Kevin R Brown on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So, I'd like to try and heal Alester with Astral Seal, but he already went ahead and did his attack. Does that mean he went before Zamiel even though Zamiel is earlier in the initiative or can I declare that Zamiel was going to wait until before Alester's attack like he did for Shield? The timing of my attack is pretty critical, obviously.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Keldyn opens his eyes and looks around, trying to figure out what's going on. "Which one? That one! No, that one!" Settling on a plan of action, he summons forth another batch of illusionary bat creatures, and promptly scares the living hell out of the bush in the middle of the field.

Phantom Bolt vs Will: 1d20+5 8 1d8+4 9

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Hell yeah! That shrubbery never saw it coming!

Kevin R Brown on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    HG2 is at 10 HP, and HG1 is at 2 HP, right?

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Alright, sorry for the confusion all....

I've done a couple of things to help out. First of all, I've marked the hobgoblins on the map. One has a 1 in the middle of the token and the other has a 2. That should help alleviate some confusion.

Second, I did miss the Divine Challenge on both hobgoblins. I've changed the post above to reflect them both taking the -2 penalty to the attack and the 4 damage.

Third, Shield hits HS1, not HS2. HS1 is in range. Because of this, HS1 is now dead (indicated in the status below).

Fourth, I've posted an updated status. I hope everything is right this time.

Fifth, Brody, you can shift off of difficult terrain onto normal terrain but you can't shift onto difficult terrain.

Sixth, Keldyn's attack vs the Bush was by far the most impressive attack so far.

Finally, I've learned not to post when I'm so tired I can barely keep my eyes open :)

Let me know if you guys find anything other mistakes or have any other questions. Hope this helps.

Alester Cromwell - 15/25 - AC19/F12/R15/W16 - HS 7/7 - AP 1/2
    @F6 - Status: Marked by HS2.
    @E3 - Status: Normal.
    @F4 - Status: Normal.
    Shield - 36/36 - AC20/F15/R13/W14 - HS 13/13 - AP 1/2
    Hobgoblin Soldier 2 - 10/47 - AC20/F18/R16/W16
    @G6 - Status: +2 AC when next to other Hobgoblin Soldier. Bloodied. Oath of Enmity. Divine Challenge.

Still up: Zamiel, Rune, Chloro

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Turning his attention to the second hobgoblin, Zamiel scowls and makes a complicated gesture with his free hand. Shadows lazily rise from the ground below the creature, and wrap themselves around its body. The hobgoblin cries out as its senses and reflexes and dulled, crippling its ability to defend itself.

"Try to keep this one alive, it may know info valuable to us!" Zamiel shouts to his allies.

Bane vs. Hobgoblin 2 (W:16) = 19 Hit
    Hobgoblin 2 takes a -4 penalty to all attack rolls and all defenses until the EOMNT.

EDIT: The timing for Astral Seal can be a bit tricky, so if anyone cares to benefit from the healing on that. It's best to let me know and/or wait until I post the attack so there's no confusion. Again though, I have bunches of ways to heal so there's no need to rely on that, just let me know if you want to be healed and I will hop to it.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I ran around the bush. ^..^

Brody on

• Options
    edited November 2009
    Actually, Alester is on F6. Do you have another spot you'd like to move to?

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    One of the hobgoblins falls. Chloro watches as the other is being circled.

Chloro walks up to the lone monster. "Your time is near, beast."

As he speaks insect-like claws spring forth from his form, wounding and holding the hobgoblin down.

Move to E5 by way of not invoking OA.

Grasping Claws vs. REF Hobgob2: 18 +2 for CA : for 8 damage and he is slowed until EOMNT

(accidentally labeled as "The Auxilliaries" my bad)

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Alester is on G5

Brody on

• Options
    edited November 2009
    +1 THP from Dark One's Blessing from HG1's death.

As one hobgoblin falls and strengthens the warlock, Rune quickly flings the orb to the other enemy. "Strike me if you dare, goblinoid."

A burst of fire from the warforged's hand makes that option impossible for the hobgoblin, its screams drowned out by the crackle of brimstone and flames.

Minor: Curse HG2
    Standard: Hellish Rebuke vs HG2 (12): 1d20+6 26 1d6+5+1d6 10

That's a crit, so he actually takes 6+5+6=17 damage total (aka murder).

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    And thus ends the combat. Congratulations, 300 xp for each of you (I know, it's a bit high for this encounter, but we're leveling quickly here).

Do your normal post-battle stuff and let me know when you're ready.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Alester wipes his greatsword across the ground to clear it's steel of the goblin's ichor.

"Oops. Suppose we'l need to find another mouth to coax information from. It's no tremendous loss; we could hardly trust anything that rolled off of this beast's tongue."

Alester will spend a Healing Surge, bringing himself to 21 HP.

6 surges left for the day.

Kevin R Brown on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Zamiel recovers his walking stick and glares at his fellow companions.

"We could've learned from not only what they said, but what they did not say, and how they said it. I dislike exploring without a token idea of what may await us. Still, everyone did a splendid job working together, a fine skirmish to begin our test of this place."

If Alester deigns to allow it, Zamiel will use a Healing Word for his healing surge, no need to roll because it'll put him at max hp whatever the outcome.

After that Zamiel is ready to rock and roll.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Rune's infernal orb flies back to his hand soundlessly. The warlock's hand grows dark as he straightens his cloak and begins examining the bodies for anything of note or value.

"Let us press onward; these fools offer us nothing."

Perception to Search Hobgoblins: 1d20+0 6

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Sweet deal, marshmellow.

Alester's back up to 25 HP.

Kevin R Brown on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

I want to see how much background knowledge Alester has about this dang tower:

History Check: 1d20 16

Kevin R Brown on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Keldyn walks over to the bush and pokes curiously at it with his dagger. Satisfied with his contribution, he joins the others.

Ready when you guys are. History: 1d20+9 14 - I don't know any more than Alester.

soxbox on