As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E IC] The Second Son

1234568»

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Can I attack around the corner?

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Brody - You can attack around a corner, but cover rules will apply (you'll take a -2 to attack)... but I'm going to do that.

My plan is winged horde so that they can't opportunity attack, then push G9 back a square with my phantom bolt. Then you can move to I8 and use your thorn whip to either move the shrieker closer to alester so that he can hit him, or try pushing him into the pit (your call).

Before that however, it would be awesome if Shield could hit chillborn 2 with divine sanction, then shift next to chillborn one and divine challenge him so that us squishies don't get murderised. Edit - oh, damn, didn't notice that shield was immobilized, regardless, he should probably go and hit chillborn 2 before I push him out of reach.

Sound like a plan?

soxbox on
  • Options
    SuperRuperSuperRuper Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I was actually going to go over to the side of Alester opposite the chillborn. (I5 ish) and pull him near Alester and possibly into the pit.

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ChemENGR
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    That'd work - you'd have a clear line of sight, but you'd be in superior cover - a much better option. Still going to wait on Shield to move though, as if I miss one with my phantom bolt, I can use my orb of deception to hit the other one instead.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Keldyn looks around the room, seemingly in a rare moment of clarity after the administration of Zamiel's prayer. He raises his orb to the sky, his newfound power spilling out and creating a swarm of phantom birds to assail the chillborn. Both creatures buckle under the assault, unable to pay much attention to anything other than keeping the birds off themselves.

Taking advantage of their distraction, Keldyn steps forward, oblivious to the danger to himself as he raises the orb again. The birds assailing the chillborn before him form together as one and violently push the creature back.

Actually - I rolled it all up and didn't need to use the orb, so here goes:

Standard: Enlarged Winged Horde at G6 vs Will: 2#1d20+7 25 23 1d6+5-2 9.
    Move to G6
    Action Point: Phantom Bolt at Chillborn 1 vs Will: 1d20+7 20 1d8+5 12 - slide him to G4.

Chillborn 1 takes 21 damage and is moved to G4
    Chillborn 2 takes 9 damage
    Neither chillborn can take opportunity actions (and hence cannot flank either) until EONT.
    I have combat advantage against Chillborn 1

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Chloro takes advantage of the phantom creatures which spill from Keldyn's orb which claw the attackers in an extremely familiar way. He heads behind a near pillar to help Alester with his pallid prey.

"Don't leave just yet!"

A vine flies from his hands to ensnare the foe but he narrowly sidesteps the vine, just as the second one hits and wraps around his ankle, pulling him to the edge of the chasm. The shrieker slides to the edge and tries to grab a protruding rock. His fingers catch it, but he can't hold his grasp. Chloro smirks and mutters under his breath...

"Have a nice trip."

He turns to face his other enemies and his form falls into a thousand insects.

"Who's next?"

Move: to I5

Standard: Thorn Whip on Death Shrieker: 14 vs FORT misses.

Action Point Re-roll: Thorn Whip on Death Shrieker: 22 vs FORT hits for 9 damage and pulls him to K8. He makes a saving throw to avoid falling I believe...and....FAILS! Now I don't know what happens.

Minor: Beast Form in order to increase my defenses for a possible attack from that Chillborn and I'm gonna get up close next round.

Better use of the whip?

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You don't have an action point do you? Retrying that thorn whip would be a good use of it if you do

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Alright, well, as a Minor Action, Divine Challenge on our friend Chillborn 1, then swing in with a Holy Strike.

And oh god I fail. Holy Strike vs AC 22: 1d20+9-2 8 1d10+5 10

At least he is still marked.

Bathing the nearest pallid creature in holy light, Shield calls on Bahamut to guide his strike. Unfortunately, the halo of light gave the mob enough heads up to easily avoid any sort of retribution.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    robp85robp85 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Round 2.0

The Death Shrieker's cries fade away as it falls into the pit. Whether death or just serious injury awaits, none of you are sure but considering how the voice fades, you suspect there's little hope of survival for it.

This does not slow the chillborn, though. Both continue their attacks. One swings at Keldyn but he easily ducks the attack. The other slams into Shield once again. Having his feet held down by ice seems to increase the power of the attack against the Warforged hurting him substantially more than before.

I believe Chloro had an AP left. Seems like a legitimate turn. Of course, I could've missed something before....

Chillborn 1:

Move: shift to G5
    Standard: Slam vs Keldyn (AC:17) = 15 Miss!

Chillborn 2:

Standard: Slam vs Shield (AC:21) = 21 Hit for 16 damage!
    Follow up attack: vs Shield (F:16) = 21 Hit and Shield is still immobilized (save ends)!

Initiative:
    Chillborn (12)
    Zamiel (15)
    Alester (12)
    Rune (12)
    Keldyn (8)
    Chloro (8)
    Shield (4)

Map:
    2z90j8j.png

Notes:
    -You cannot step into the squares with the statues and they completely block line of sight
    -The room does expand down south for 2 more squares before entering another hallway.
    -Falling down the pit hurts...

Alester Cromwell - 13/33 - AC19/F14/R17/W16 - HS 4/7 - AP 0/2
    @L7 - Status: Immobilized (save ends). Bloodied.
    Chloro - 33/33 - AC17/F14/R14/W16 - HS 10/10 - AP 0/2
    @E7 - Status: Normal.
    Keldyn Sodosa - 27/27 - AC17/F13/R16/W16 - HS 6/7 - AP 1/2
    @D6 - Status: Normal.
    Rune - 32/32 - AC14/F15/R13/W12 - HS 10/11 - AP 1/2
    @E6 - Status: Normal.
    Shield - 17/42 - AC21/F16/R14/W15 - HS 11/13 - AP 2/2
    @F7 - Status: Bloodied. Immobilized (save ends).
    Zamiel - 27/27 - AC17/F11/R12/W17 - HS 6/7 - AP 1/2
    @D7 - Status: Normal.
    Chillborn 1 - 25/48 - AC22/F21/R17/W17
    @G5 - Status: Divine Challenge. No OA's until EO Keldyn's NT. CA to Keldyn.
    Chillborn 2 - 26/48 - AC22/F21/R17/W17
    @G8 - Status: Cursed. No OA's until EO Keldyn's NT.

Next up: Everyone!

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Rune frowns slightly as the creature plummets to its demise. "A pity...one less soul to burn for eternity in my patron's glory."

Seeing an opportunity to gain some elbow room, the warlock walks past the nearest zombie and nonchalantly sends the cursed orb to the creature with a flick of his wrist.

Unfortunately, the warforged is so distracted by the thought of the loss of the death shrieker's soul that Rune is unable to conjure infernal flames to strike his foe.

Move to G3 to gain Concealment.
    Minor: Curse C1.
    Standard: Hellish Rebuke vs C1 (17): 1d20+8 16 1d6+6+1d6 11

cytorak on
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Impressed with his allies' flawless dismissal of one of the foes, Zamiel steps carefully to the other side of the hallway, hoping to assist Shield with his quarry, once again the wall interferes with his aim, making a clear shot impossible. He can at least ease the Warforged's wounds, giving him the stamina to stand hale against the monster's onslaught.

Move: Shift on over to D6
    Standard: Sacred Flame vs Chillborn 1 (R17) = 13 Miss
    Minor: Healing Word on Shield = Healing Surge + 12

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Keldyn attempts to sustain the onslaught of smoky birds, but the creatures disappear in a flash of light. He clutches at his head as the voices return and full fury, berating him for his incompetence. He dashes away to safety, screaming in frustration.

Rune can't get to G3 - you can't move diagonally across a wall, and you can't move through his square - that's why I had to push him aside earlier to let Chloro past. Perhaps move to G7?

Enlarged Winged Horde at G6 vs Will: 1d20+7+2 10 1d20+7 11 1d6+5-2 4
    Oh, Orokos. Why you gotta treat me like that?
    Move to D6

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Wait...what? I can't move F6-G6-H5-G4-G3? You can move through ally squares, IIRC.

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It's the G6 to H5 that's the problem - you're moving across a diagonal through a corner of the statue - since we can't move into the statue squares, I don't think you're able to do that unless rob says otherwise.

soxbox on
  • Options
    Kevin R BrownKevin R Brown __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Alester grins as the shrieker is dragged into the abyss.

He turns his head toward the others, light erupting from his eyes to sear the Chillborn.

Standard: Radiant Vengeance vs Chillborn in G5. 9 Radiant damage, I gain 4 THP.

Failed to save vs Immobilization

Radiant Vengeance vs Chillborn: 1d20+4 17 1d8+3 9

Save vs Immob: 1d20 8

Kevin R Brown on
    ' As always when their class interests are at stake, the capitalists can dispense with noble sentiments like the right to free speech or the struggle against tyranny.'
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'll use the Minor Action Warforged Resolve, gaining 4 temp and 4 regular HP, which I will follow up with a Piercing Smite! Piercing Smite vs Reflex 17: 1d20+9-2 14 2d10+5 9

Sad... Well, use my Move Action as a Minor and Divine Challenge the Chillborn.

And I'll use a free action to cry.

Starting to feel the abuse, Shield shutters for a moment, somewhat the equivalent of a human shaking himself out. Feeling revived, he cries out

Bahamut! Guide Me!

and swings for home. Unfortunately, his swing just adds another dent to the walls. Glowering at the Chillborn, a face that involves lots of sharp ends, Shield calls down a halo of light to bathe the uncooperative living dead.

Brody on

• Options
    edited January 2010
    Round 3

The chillborn fighting Shield finally misses an attack, slamming its cold body into the corner of the cavern freezing a small section of the wall. The other chillborn moves toward Rune and slams into him successfully. However, Rune is able to resist the cold magics emanating from the undead.

Chillborn 1:

Move: shift to G4
    Standard: Slam vs Rune (AC:14+2) = 22 Hit for 11 damage!
    Follow up attack: vs Rune (F:15+2) = 13 Miss!

Chillborn 2:

Standard: Slam vs Shield (AC:21) = 16 Miss!

Initiative:
    Chillborn (12)
    Zamiel (15)
    Alester (12)
    Rune (12)
    Keldyn (8)
    Chloro (8)
    Shield (4)

Map:
    3322lv6.png

Notes:
    -You cannot step into the squares with the statues and they completely block line of sight
    -The room does expand down south for 2 more squares before entering another hallway.

Alester Cromwell - 13+4/33 - AC19/F14/R17/W16 - HS 4/7 - AP 0/2
    @I5 - Status: Normal.
    Rune - 21/32 - AC14/F15/R13/W12 - HS 10/11 - AP 1/2
    @G3 - Status: Normal.
    Shield - 42+4/42 - AC21/F16/R14/W15 - HS 11/13 - AP 2/2
    @F7 - Status: Immobilized (save ends).
    Zamiel - 27/27 - AC17/F11/R12/W17 - HS 6/7 - AP 1/2
    Chillborn 1 - 11/48 - AC22/F21/R17/W17
    @G5 - Status: Bloodied. Cursed.
    Chillborn 2 - 26/48 - AC22/F21/R17/W17
    @G8 - Status: Cursed. Divine Challenge.

Next up: Everyone!

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Chloro's body begins to reform next to the statue. He takes in the situation arising before him. As he looks ahead he sees Rune in a bit of trouble and decides to help out.

As the leaves and twigs of his body begin to entwine together once again, Chloro a multitude of snakes begin to weave out from under his robes. Several of the serpents lash out against the chillborn and wrap around his body. As the apparition tries to fight of the snakes he falls to his knees, and finally to the ground. The snakes continue to hiss threatening to harm those who choose to tarry within their reach.

Minor: Back to Humanoid form

Standard: Stinging Cloud vs Chillborn 1 : 21 vs REF is a hit for 15 damage. Which takes him out.

The zone persists in a burst 1 centered at G5. Any creature who ends their turn in the zone takes 8 poison damage. So if anyone can move that Chillborn over a few squares we'll be in good shape.

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Zamiel shuffles down to exit the hallway, hoping to get a clear shot at the remaining undead. He vents a jet of divine fire at the creature, but even bereft of its cover it is able to just barely dodge the ghostly flames, much to Zamiel's chagrin.

Move: Move to G6
    Standard: Sacred Flame vs Chillborn2 (R17) = 16 Miss well crap, if only I had used Divine Fortune I would've hit :I

Also, I would Healing Word Alester but he's out of my line of sight :I

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Rune attempts to ignite the remaining skeleton, but he is momentarily distracted by the swarm of snakes in front of him.

Hellish Rebuke vs C2 (17): 1d20+8 9 1d6+6+1d6 16

Critical Failure; huzzah!

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Im going to use Divine Strength as a minor, and extra cry if I miss this time.

Holy Strike vs AC: 1d20+9-2 23 1d10+5+2 8 Finally hit CB2, who takes a total of 12 Radiant damage.

I'll shuffle my feet uselessly as a minor.

Lol, Im stuck. Immobilized (save ends): 1d20 2

Feeling himself filled by the strength of his god, Shield drives his hammer into the Chillborn's face.

Brody on

• Options
    edited January 2010
    Keldyn tries to summon a cloud of creatures to force the creature out into the open, but his concentration wavers and he instead tries to force the statues to move. This attempt is less than successful. Keldyn glares into his orb and mutters violently.

Phantom Bolt vs Will: 1d20+7-2 10 1d8+5 6

G6 is in Chloro's poison zone, so I'd advise not standing there. I think I'm the only other guy with a forced movement power, so I don't think we can get him into that zone unless anybody else has something?

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hmm, didn't notice the poison zone, I'd have still gone in though, I was very keen on getting that cover out of the way.

Plus it's not like I'm hurting for Healing Surges, Zamiel will be fine.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Delaying Alester.

Round 3.0

With only one creature left, the battle seems to be on the heroes side. Once again, the chillborn lunges at Shield but he's easily able to fend off the attack with his shield.

Chillborn 2:

Standard: Slam vs Shield (AC:21) = 17 Miss!

Initiative:
    Chillborn
    Zamiel
    Alester
    Rune
    Keldyn
    Chloro
    Shield

Map:
    280m4w1.png

Notes:

Alester Cromwell - 13+4/33 - AC19/F14/R17/W16 - HS 4/7 - AP 0/2
    @I5 - Status: Normal.
    Rune - 21/32 - AC14/F15/R13/W12 - HS 10/11 - AP 1/2
    @G3 - Status: Normal.
    Shield - 42+4/42 - AC21/F16/R14/W15 - HS 11/13 - AP 2/2
    @F7 - Status: Immobilized (save ends).
    Zamiel - 19/27 - AC17/F11/R12/W17 - HS 6/7 - AP 1/2
    Chillborn 2 - 9/48 - AC22/F21/R17/W17
    @G8 - Status: Bloodied. Cursed. Divine Challenge.

Next up: Everyone! Finish it off!

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Eager to end the conflict, Rune raises his hand once more and brings the creature the sweet taste of death once again. The warlock smiles as the skeleton's soul zooms quickly into his cursed rod.

Hellish Rebuke vs C2 (17): 1d20+8 20 1d6+6+1d6 15

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The fight over, Zamiel untenses, a bit embarrassed at how little he contributed to the creatures downfall. He reminds himself, however, that this is why there are adventuring parties in the first place, the bad luck of one member is evened out by the exploits of his comrades. There will be other conflicts and he'll have the chance to redeem himself then.

He circles around the pit to Alester and congratulates him on his brave dash over the pit, "it was quite a sight, you leaping into the fray against that shrieking fiend. Rest a moment and I'll see what I can do for your wounds."

Minor: Healing Word on Alester = Healing Surge +14 healing.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The danger having passed, Keldyn straightens himself up and walks boldly into the room, peering curiously into the seemingly bottomless pit. He then glances up at Alester, watching as he shakes off the last of the immobilising cold. Then, remembering the avenger's earlier leap and looking back at the pit, his eyes open wide.

"I can't tell if that was incredibly stupid or incredibly brave." He tilts his head to the side for a moment, listening to something. "I think I'll settle on brave." He shakes his head in amazement and glances around the room, ready to move on.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You see small ripples in Chloro's cloak as the snakes began to curl their way up his leg.

"I rather liked his acrobatics. Oh and sorry for the serpents. They get carried away sometimes."

Sorry, I wasn't paying attention to the threads. For some reason I figured the other would update sooner.

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ...Wrong thread?

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Caravan? I think you have your rp's mixed. Or I get really lost somewhere.

Looking down at the gap that seems to be holding everyone's attention, Shield shrugs and starts heading for the hallway.

It got the job done. Is that not what matters?

Brody on

• Options
    edited February 2010
    Chloro follows the warforged down the hallway, playing with a snake that twists it's way through his fingers.

Yo, what's the deal?

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It's been a month and a half - I take it we're dead here? Kevin got ban-hammered and hasn't been on for a month, so that's not going to be helpful if we're looking to continue.

soxbox on