My Spawns and Drawings

jokastijokasti Registered User
edited December 2009 in Artist's Corner
So yeah. A while ago I started putting up some of my spawn pics on deviantart, and then I started putting my drawings up. Right now I do avatar requests for the folks at GitP, and I'd like some critiquing.
And here's the site: URL="http://jokasti.deviantart.com/"]Link[/URL
And here's all of my Spawns:
---Origins
Spawn__Origins_by_jokasti.png
---Warmth
Spawn__Warmth_by_jokasti.png
---Freeze
Spawn__Freeze_by_jokasti.png
---Violets
Spawn__Violets_by_jokasti.png
---Sun
Spawn__Sun_by_jokasti.png
---Ocean
Spawn__Ocean_by_jokasti.png
---Fire
Spawn__Fire_by_jokasti.png
---Spring
Spawn__Spring_by_jokasti.png
---Water
Spawn__Water_by_jokasti.png
---Supernova
Spawn__Supernova_by_jokasti.png
---Aurora
Spawn__Aurora_by_jokasti.png
---Ultimate
Spawn__Ultimate_by_jokasti.png
---Flare
Spawn__Infinite__Flare_by_jokasti.png
---Indigo
Spawn__Infinite__Indigo_by_jokasti.png
---Rings
Spawn__Infinite__Rings_by_jokasti.png
---Nature
Spawn__Nature_by_jokasti.png
---RainFlame
Spawn__Rain__Flame_by_jokasti.png
---RainDrop
Spawn__Rain__Raindrop_by_jokasti.png
---Fan
Spawn__Fan_by_jokasti.png
---Energy
Spawn__Energy_by_jokasti.png
---Wing
Spawn__Wing_by_jokasti.png
---Elemental
Spawn__Elemental_by_jokasti.png
---Smoke
Spawn__Smoke_by_jokasti.png
---Paka Paka
Spawn__Paka_Paka_by_jokasti.png
---RainLeaf
Spawn__Rain__Leaf_by_jokasti.png
---RainLeafv2
Spawn__Rain__Leaf_v2_by_jokasti.png
---Iceworks
Spawn__Iceworks_by_jokasti.png
---Heart
Spawn__Heart_by_jokasti.png
---Fireball
Spawn__Fireball_by_jokasti.png
---Spires
Spawn__Spires_by_jokasti.png
---Meteor
Spawn__Meteor_by_jokasti.png
---Space
Spawn__Space_by_jokasti.png
---Sword
Spawn__Sword_by_jokasti.png
---Earth
Spawn__Earth_by_jokasti.png
---Rose
Spawn__Rose_by_jokasti.png
---Tailless
Spawn__Infinite__Tailless_by_jokasti.png
---Nebula
Spawn__Nebula_by_jokasti.png
---Elemental v2
Spawn__Elemental_v2_by_jokasti.png
---Sunset
Spawn__Rain__Sunset_by_jokasti.png
---Smiley
Spawn__Smiley_by_jokasti.png
---Elemental v3
Spawn__Elemental_v3_by_jokasti.png
---Inferno
Spawn__Inferno_by_jokasti.png
---Gust
Spawn__Gust_by_jokasti.png
---Waterfall
Spawn__Waterfall_by_jokasti.png
---Pink
Spawn__Pink_by_jokasti.png
---Spore
Spawn__Spore_by_jokasti.png
---Ice
Spawn__Ice_by_jokasti.png
---Wisp
Spawn__Wisp_by_jokasti.png
---Alone
Spawn__Alone_by_jokasti.png
Other Drawings:
---Karnokoto
Karnokoto_by_jokasti.jpg
---Elf
Elf_by_jokasti.jpg
---Toga
Toga_by_jokasti.jpg
---Caped
Caped_by_jokasti.jpg
---Engineer
Engineer_by_jokasti.jpg
---Girl in Blue
Girl_in_Blue_by_jokasti.jpg
---Halo Elite
Halo_Gold_Elite_by_jokasti.jpg
---Ninja Guy
Ninja_guy_by_jokasti.jpg
---Viera Assassin
Girl_in_Blue_by_jokasti.jpg
---Secret from Keychain of Creation
Secret_by_jokasti.jpg
---Marena from Keychain of Creation
Marena_by_jokasti.jpg
Thanks in advance.

jokasti on

Posts

  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    Please post images you want critiqued directly in this thread.

    bombardier on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    hey jokasti welcome to the forums
    do you mind telling us a bit about the process and such?
    a lot of us around here are more representational artists, so you may find that crits may be few and far between for this sort of work just because it's not at all what we're used to. (not a bad thing!)

    for a start, i can immediately see that some appear to have a lot more depth than others (looking at 7th down from the top) and i actually tend to prefer the more minimalist ones from a design point of view. really digging the colors and shapes of 5 from the bottom... i like how it fades off, i find it more visually interesting than some of the others, it looks almost like graphic, colored smoke

    if i were to suggest anything for pushing it a bit, i'd work a bit more with the tips, some of them seem to cut off rather bluntly, and that one in particular has a whispyness about it that i feel would be really nicely accented if you sort of drew out those tips a bit more, and added a bit of that fading treatment to the very ends.

    also like i said, i really find the color scheme on that one stands out to me.
    i feel like if you drifted away from the neon colors on black a bit and tried more color combos, you'd get a much different feel from all of these
    it'd be neat to see you experiment with that sort of thing.

    do you consider yourself a modern fine artist or more of a designer?

    beavotron on
  • ChillyChilly Registered User
    edited November 2009
    They look like that iPhone app that generates a firework type dealio that follows your finger, where you can change their color and width. I've never seen this art before other than that, I would be interested to learn the process.

    Chilly on
  • ChillyChilly Registered User
    edited November 2009
    Yup yup yup, knew it.


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMcrJKy35z0&feature=related

    I have too much of an attention span problem to play this app any more than 30 seconds.

    Chilly on
  • jokastijokasti Registered User
    edited November 2009
    beavotron wrote: »
    hey jokasti welcome to the forums
    do you mind telling us a bit about the process and such?
    a lot of us around here are more representational artists, so you may find that crits may be few and far between for this sort of work just because it's not at all what we're used to. (not a bad thing!)

    for a start, i can immediately see that some appear to have a lot more depth than others (looking at 7th down from the top) and i actually tend to prefer the more minimalist ones from a design point of view. really digging the colors and shapes of 5 from the bottom... i like how it fades off, i find it more visually interesting than some of the others, it looks almost like graphic, colored smoke

    if i were to suggest anything for pushing it a bit, i'd work a bit more with the tips, some of them seem to cut off rather bluntly, and that one in particular has a whispyness about it that i feel would be really nicely accented if you sort of drew out those tips a bit more, and added a bit of that fading treatment to the very ends.

    also like i said, i really find the color scheme on that one stands out to me.
    i feel like if you drifted away from the neon colors on black a bit and tried more color combos, you'd get a much different feel from all of these
    it'd be neat to see you experiment with that sort of thing.

    do you consider yourself a modern fine artist or more of a designer?

    Thanks. I use the Spawn Illuminati Application for the iPhone for my Spawn art.
    I had the app back when you only controlled where the spawn went and when they exploded. They've added so many more options that I downloaded the original again because it just wasn't as fun. I got very good at determining the best colors and designs and I took pictures of then. I really don't have very much control over it other than when I take the picture, but that's what I love about Spawn; it's such a wild form of art. I consider myself a modern designing photographer :mrgreen:

    So yep, Chilly, you're right.

    But awhile ago my iTouch broke so I stopped making them. I am going to get myself an iPhone for Christmas and then I expect to start making these again, so right now there are only 55-60 of them. I am also the only artist of this type (I think).

    jokasti on
  • jokastijokasti Registered User
    edited November 2009
    OK. Updated all 49 of my Spawns, I'd like critiquing on them.
    Now for my other drawings.
    Edit: And now all of those are updated! Critique away!

    jokasti on
  • jokastijokasti Registered User
    edited November 2009
    Bump for great justice.

    jokasti on
  • Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Now that you've got basic shapes down why not draw a portrait with this? You could use a photo reference if you wanted to. Take it to the next level duder.

    Arden Canelo on
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    jokasti wrote: »
    Bump for great justice.

    Dude, you could at least wait more than a hour before you bump your own thread.

    Flay on
  • jokastijokasti Registered User
    edited November 2009
    Now that you've got basic shapes down why not draw a portrait with this? You could use a photo reference if you wanted to. Take it to the next level duder.
    Do you mean combine some of the Spawns into one big Spawn? That's a good idea, I'll have to try that out.

    jokasti on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    thought of doing this sort of stuff with acrylics? Id imagine it could be fun.

    winter_combat_knight on
  • jokastijokasti Registered User
    edited November 2009
    I don't know. This is essentially digital art. I think it would be pretty hard to recreate it, but I think you're right in that it would be fun :P

    jokasti on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    i personally think it'd be neat to take this sort of concept further in photoshop
    i see it as sort of graphic design based experimentation. using colors and very bold graphic shapes to create flow and depth. it's not at all representational, but you still get depth from it, which i like, i can see this working really well in design.

    and really, the limitations of the software are what that this is far as you can really push it, so if this is something you're interested in, maybe take it a step further, and start doing this same sort of thing in more advanced software.
    it looks almost like fractal art to me, i dunno if you've heard of fractal, but it's basically creating abstract, complex patterns using some sort of whacked out math equation. (so over my head....but looks really really cool)

    there's lots of it on deviantart and on the internet in general
    i feel like if you like this sort of work, the next logical step for you is either fractals or graphic design.

    beavotron on
  • jokastijokasti Registered User
    edited November 2009
    I was thinking about trying to recreate this in Illustrator, and it would go good with the Power Rangers idea above :D
    I don't think it would be hard, just tedious for the ones like Paka-Paka.
    I've heard of fractals, but they didn't really interest me, because that math stuff is way over my head too... I'll stick with Spawns :)
    So I guess graphic design is in my future... hopefully. I should look into that.

    jokasti on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    yes you should!! graphic design is so awesome

    magictoaster is sort of the resident designer, if you have questions about it, he's the guy to ask

    beavotron on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So these are basically screenshots of some game for the iphone?

    rts on
    skype: rtschutter
  • SublimusSublimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Creative screen shots from a pseudo game/visualizer.

    Sublimus on
  • jokastijokasti Registered User
    edited November 2009
    Sublimus wrote: »
    Creative screen shots from a pseudo game/visualizer.
    Exactly :mrgreen:

    jokasti on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    hey, i have this app

    it's neat

    Projeck on
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    really nice, i myself have been focussing on these things called "colossi" i make them using the ps2 app Shadow of the Colossus.

    bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • MonniMonni Registered User
    edited November 2009
    bwanie wrote: »
    really nice, i myself have been focussing on these things called "colossi" i make them using the ps2 app Shadow of the Colossus.

    Well at least he posted some drawings he actually drew.

    But you're clearly just taking your first steps into the wonderful world of drawing things, so there isn't anything particular for me to criticize. Just keep practicing for now. Good luck and have fun.

    Edit: If my post is a bit weird, it's because I'm a little tired at the moment, sorry.

    Monni on
  • ZaengoZaengo Registered User
    edited November 2009
    hmmmm. i really dont know what i should feel about this. the spawns 1st off, arent really what im into. mainly because its an iphone app. the drawings, could use some work. im not really an official artist, im really still in school but i love drawing. but in my inexperianced opinion, these drawings resemble a photoshoped tracing of some of the drawings done by my 5th grade classmates (most of them girls trying to show their friends what they would look like when they got married in the future) but that doesnt mean that they arent good. i like some of the line work, and i really like the elite. the engineer... not so much. all i can really say is to work on your clothing and get the heads to a better size. you have some some great line work, and room for improvement, wich is a good thing. an awsome thing. a fuckin awsome thing dude.

    Zaengo on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    A. There is no such thing as the 'iTouch'. It's an ipod touch. Eesh.

    B. I'm really unwilling to call the spawns your "art", because this appears to be more the work of the software designer than your own. The fact that you didn't write the software, plus your attitude regarding how wonderful they are, is a bit off-putting.

    C. I don't really have much to say about the drawings; they're rather simplistic. What sort of art are you looking to actually make?

    mattharvest on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    jokatsi, please shrink the images that are enormous in your OP.

    beavotron on
  • srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Alright, I'm going to be a little more harsh: I can vaguely see how using this app to create a sequence of conceptual images makes sense, but you've done very little. I was looking through all of these wondering about how you painted them digitally yourself. Seeing that they were all made using an iPhone app is frustrating. People can't critique this because it's content that's essentially created by your finger flicking around and a really awesome program that someone else designed.

    I mainly find it frustrating because it felt kind of deceitful for a moment. If you had been able to pull off those brush strokes, it would have meant something much more about your level of skill. You should have explained what the app was in your first post instead of assuming we knew and then someone outing you.

    So I'm going to ignore those, as I don't consider them original work. Looking at your drawings, it's obvious you aren't at a level where making conceptual sequences is really useful for progressing. Your drawings have a lack of depth, anatomy, and clean/appealing lines. I'd suggest drawing by pencil instead of jumping to vector illustration--I tried to do the same thing when I started, and it's not useful until you have a grasp of shape and three-dimensional space, let alone anatomy.

    You have a long way to go, it depends on how seriously you want to take it and where you want to go with it. Using this iPhone app will essentially get you nowhere in terms of making those drawings better. I would suggest an app like that to an animation student or a painter to use as inspiration.

    srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'd like to piggy-back on something srsizzy started: about tools.

    It's important to remember that if while art includes an absurdly broad range of things using just as broad a range of tools, the only important thing that is consistently required is the skill of the artist in creating something that is communicative somehow (I leave aside all the talk of WHAT should be communicated, etc.). What you're doing when you use an app like this is to take someone else's communication - the stuff generated by the app - and marginally rearranging it with your input.

    It's like taking a beautiful painting, cutting it up, and rearranging the pieces. Eventually, you might a way to do it artistically (e.g. by evoking some new meaning in the new shape, or even better creating whole new 'images' that are independently meaningful). However, most of the time, you'd just be piggybacking on someone else's work (at best) or just making noise (at worst).

    The app you're using is more like Rock Band than, say, a sampling synthesizer. When you play Rock Band, you can create something beautiful if you play it well, it's just that what you're "creating" is just allowing the software someone else designed to perfectly play the music someone else performed. You're doing something skillful in playing the game, but you're not a musician. It's the same thing with this app.

    (I love Rock Band, btw: this isn't an anti-Rock Band comment any more than I'm opposed to the app itself)

    mattharvest on
  • A-squaredA-squared Registered User
    edited December 2009
    This happens alot with many students new to art, they do not seem to understand the method behind abstract art. before attempting any form of abstract art take a gander at these... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_Painting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_field

    A-squared on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ah yes, abstract art. It's just like real art but without all the hard work.

    At least conceptual (not concept) art tries to serve a purpose...as miserable as that purpose is.

    rts on
    skype: rtschutter
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    There are some people who would be incredibly angry that you think that during the huge portions of their lives they spent perfecting their art they weren't doing any hard work.

    Food on
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    cakemikz wrote: »
    Ah yes, abstract art. It's just like real art but without all the hard work.

    At least conceptual (not concept) art tries to serve a purpose...as miserable as that purpose is.

    Well that is a fairly idiotic thing to say.

    Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • A-squaredA-squared Registered User
    edited December 2009
    Personaly I believe that abstract expressionism came out of a time where modern painters could express the post war period. The youngins see the works of the abstract expressionism movement and try to recreate them without understanding the context in which they were painted and paint what they think is "Random"

    Oh cakemikz, I would be offended but I love your work too much.

    A-squared on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Food wrote: »
    There are some people who would be incredibly angry that you think that during the huge portions of their lives they spent perfecting their art they weren't doing any hard work.

    While I definitely am not in complete agreement with Cake here, your point is equally invalid. Just because you work hard at something, doesn't mean you've done any hard work.

    Think about it this way: if you spend a hundred hours doing something, it doesn't mean it was worth those hundred hours. Just because you spend a tremendous amount of time planning a piece of abstract art, for example, doesn't mean it actually has any of the components that actually make something art (e.g. aesthetics, communicative value, etc.). It doesn't mean it DOESN'T have those things either, of course.

    It doesn't matter if you've spent a day or your whole like working on something: the quality of the work stands alone, regardless of how much you care about it, how hard you worked, how long you worked, etc.

    mattharvest on
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't get what you're saying. Cake said making abstract art doesn't take hard work and I disagree. I never said that just the fact that something takes a lot of work means it's automatically good. (And conversely just because something doesn't take a lot of work doesn't mean it's bad.)

    Food on
  • Guy BellGuy Bell Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    cakemikz wrote: »
    Ah yes, abstract art. It's just like real art but without all the hard work.

    At least conceptual (not concept) art tries to serve a purpose...as miserable as that purpose is.

    When did art start having to serve a purpose?

    Guy Bell on
  • A-squaredA-squared Registered User
    edited December 2009
    I don't really see why there is a strong connection between the concept and the amount of work put in. Does art have to serve a particular purpose?

    Also, where is the line between conceptual and non conceptual art work.

    A-squared on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Food wrote: »
    I don't get what you're saying. Cake said making abstract art doesn't take hard work and I disagree. I never said that just the fact that something takes a lot of work means it's automatically good. (And conversely just because something doesn't take a lot of work doesn't mean it's bad.)

    Re-read my first sentence: my point is that just because you (or anyone) works "hard" at doing something, that doesn't mean it was hard work. In other words, it doesn't matter how hard it was to the person doing it when determining whether it is "hard work" or not; it matters whether the work actually was complicated, skillful, etc.

    mattharvest on
Sign In or Register to comment.