As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cartoons fo the 80's: when Merchandising reigned supreme!

14567810»

• Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Matthew wrote: »
    As far as Transformers anime goes? Masterforce, and Victory (Though it's villains are total wimps) are both good. Zone isn't bad, but there's only one episode of it. As far as the Unicron trilogy is concerned, Cybertron is considered the best of the series, and Energon has the very dubious distinction of being considered the single worst Transformers series in history, even surpassing Headmasters, who held the distinction before this.

Shit. I just went and rented Headmasters. D:

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    At least it's not the Transformers with lolicon.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »

Ugh
    fucking Kiss Players

Antimatter on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Antimatter wrote: »

Ugh
    fucking Kiss Players

I don't think they went that far...

see317 on
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    see317 wrote: »

Ugh
    fucking Kiss Players

See, I had to go look this stuff up. Now I need another shower. I mean, come on, one bad guy had a god damn dick for a tongue. Not a tongue that vaguely looks like a penis, we're talking straight out, prehensile, extending for miles, fluid oozing from the tip dick. And despite the girls being old enough to drive they look like they are about 12.

iguanacus on
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Does anybody else remember Sherlock Hound?

I remember watching this alot when I was young, and having a quick look up on wikipedia, the first 6 episodes were done, by none other than Hayao Miyazaki. A great little cartoon.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    iguanacus wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »

Ugh
    fucking Kiss Players

See, I had to go look this stuff up. Now I need another shower. I mean, come on, one bad guy had a god damn dick for a tongue. Not a tongue that vaguely looks like a penis, we're talking straight out, prehensile, extending for miles, fluid oozing from the tip dick. And despite the girls being old enough to drive they look like they are about 12.

This guy created it.

That should say it all.

Also the TF wiki's are priceless, pity that the G.I.Joe ones kinda stink.

Cade on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Are we talking about Kiss Players in here?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    Godfather wrote: »
    @ Orson Welles: Honestly, what did you guys expect?

He went from directing the greatest american movie in history to working on a crappy 80's kids movie. Citizen Kane skyrocketed his ego to astronomical heights.

It didn't help that with Kane, he pissed in the Wheaties of a guy who more or less owned the media.

Yeah, that was his entire motive for doing the movie. That picture got banned after a week in some places. I've been meaning to see it for so long.

The point is that Welles always had a rather large ego, both as a result from his superb directing abilities and powerhouse acting. So to him, this kids movie property was probably the ultimate fall from grace.

How he got to that point in his life is beyond me.

He pissed in the Wheaties of a media mogul powerful enough to start a war. Do I really need to explain further?

He was twenty five when he made that movie. Twenty five!

A mogul with that much power would have crushed him much quicker.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    15 pages and no mention of the "Once Upon a Time" cartoons?

Might be because the English version didn't have a good intro music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITPhlUJQ0wI&feature=related

We used to watch this all the time in school when the teachers were having a lazy day.

also
    Dangerous wrote: »
    Speaking of 80s anime, I just finished watching this one. Sadly it wasn't around in english here when I was younger, but I know kid me would have fucking loved it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEL3IfvAFMk

Holy shit I remember this! I don't know when I saw this or what it was all about, but damn I recognize that captain's face, and some of the lead characters.

And this was mentioned before, but are there any cartoons from the 80's and 90's worth watching nowadays? The only one I can think of is probably Ducktales.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Dunno about how well most 80's stuff held up, but as for 90's if I had to make one and only one recommendation it'd be Batman TAS, which has aged very well.

Slicer on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    Does anybody else remember Sherlock Hound?

I remember watching this alot when I was young, and having a quick look up on wikipedia, the first 6 episodes were done, by none other than Hayao Miyazaki. A great little cartoon.

I TOTALLY watched this as a kid! But I think the opening music was different. I can't remember.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    KlorgnumKlorgnum Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wow, this thread is bringing back memories. Mostly of shows my parents never let me watch...

A few I haven't seen mentioned yet:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRdCoXI6Hq8
    I seem to remember one episode featuring fish (they were miners?) being murdered in communal showers that had poison gas come out of the spouts. Does anyone else have the slightest clue what I'm talking about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad73hhgWaQI

I know it's early 90s, but I'm throwing this out here too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2NuMYMjAf0

Klorgnum on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Don't know if this one's been mentioned yet.

Alfred J Kwak, a Dutch/Japanese product. The story of a happy little duck raised by a mole.

Also, Adolf Hitler

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Alfred J Kwak is one of the best children's shows ever. I especially liked that "Crow grows up to be Hitler" arc. That was quite something.

edit: And apparently Crows name in the English version is Dolf, so hey hey.

reVerse on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    reVerse wrote: »
    Alfred J Kwak is one of the best children's shows ever. I especially liked that "Crow grows up to be Hitler" arc. That was quite something.

edit: And apparently Crows name in the English version is Dolf, so hey hey.
    It's also his name in the original Dutch. I wonder if they had this in mind right from the start.

Anyway, yeah, that arc was awesome. And pretty much the only one I still remember. :P
    His beak is yellow!

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I know that we mentioned Captain Power in this thread. Would puppeteering count as animation? Because The Storyteller was awesome. The Dark Crystal was awesome (I remember seeing that in the theaters). Jim Henson was awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4V3CFZdcmc

Dalboz on
  • Options
    StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I remember getting tired of the Smurfs and really liking the Shirt Tales instead when I was younger.

I also liked watching Bionic 6, but I never hear/read about anyone else ever seeing this show.

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Staxeon wrote: »
    I also liked watching Bionic 6, but I never hear/read about anyone else ever seeing this show.

I remember seeing it.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh man, I just remembered

The Biskitts

[edit] And another. That didn't appear to have an English dub (or you guys've just been lazy putting it on YouTube).

Tofffsy and the Magic Blade of Grass

Glal on