As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Award Season '09: Oscar Buzz

• Options
    Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think people in the academy AND at Fox are wondering if it qualifies for Best Animated Feature.

I still think the Best Animated Feature award is a double-edged sword.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't see Avatar being considered Animated Feature, not with Cameron as the director. I do predict it to win a million technical awards.

Hope District 9 wins something.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I like Zoe Saldana for best actress in Avatar, but no one will agree with me (Nomination not necessarily to win it).

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I think there might be rules preventing her nomination - I remember something getting in the way of Serkis getting nominated for Gollum in Two Towers.

If she got nominated, there'd be a lot of fanboy whining regarding why Serkis never got his due respect then.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wait, is Avatar considered animation? 'Cause it seems like that's what it is.

It's motion-capture though. I thought that wasn't allowed.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    I bet you a million dollars that Avatar wins Best Picture.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I dunno. I think Hurt Locker might take it.

Which seems like a juicy story on Hollywood's behalf. They don't like Cameron anymore. Giving his ex-wife a trophy the same year he gets nominated for his dream project? I can see it happening.

Well, that and the Hurt Locker is apparently REALLY fucking good. I still need to see it.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

...you crazy. I'd bet money on Star Trek before this, and I wouldn't bet money on Star Trek. Seriously, if Dark Knight didn't even get nominated, why would you think this actually wins?

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The Hurt Locker IS really fucking good. If Avatar wins best picture then that's it, I'm done.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Adam Sandler playing Douche Adam Sandler for best perf?

what?

Sam on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    fantastic-mr-fox.jpg

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

...you crazy. I'd bet money on Star Trek before this, and I wouldn't bet money on Star Trek. Seriously, if Dark Knight didn't even get nominated, why would you think this actually wins?

I missed and/or forgot about that. How the fuck did TDK not get nominated?

enc0re on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    enc0re wrote: »

Because it's a comic book movie, and the general public still thinks that comic books are for children. I gave up on the Oscars when the distinctly mediocre Slumdog Millionaire won best picture over this.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Because it's a comic book movie, and the general public still thinks that comic books are for children. I gave up on the Oscars when the distinctly mediocre Slumdog Millionaire won best picture over this.

Yeah, but I don't think the general public are that sold on CG cat-elves, either. It took Lord of the Rings three movies to get the Oscar, and that's for one of the most celebrated works of literature of our time.

Personally, if I had to guess the Best Picture Winner, it would be Precious. That just oozes Best Picture winner. I'm more interested in Best Animated this year since it actually looks close and which five nontraditional movies make the Special Bonus Nominations.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009

Titanic. If that shit heap can win the Oscar, so can Avatar.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    titanic was a blatant academy fellator though

Sam on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Currently, Hurt Locker is the frontrunner. Precious has a lot of heat and Up in the Air is getting a lot of looks as well.

Avatar IS being considered. I'm willing to bet the very apt Star Wars comparisons so far, will continue, in the same way as Star Wars lost to Annie Hall.

The General Public has nothing to do with what gets nominated. The people in charge of the nominations are usually as far away from "General Public" as you can get without going to Mars. The General Public loves the fuck out of Comic Book movies, obviously. But I didn't buy that there was really any academy "we're serious grownups" bias keeping "The Dark Knight" out, either. It just didn't make the cut. Empire Strikes Back wasn't nominated for Best Picture, either.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Avatar just has too much competition, and while it looks amazing and fantastically directed, there are movies out there which are directed fantastically directed and look good without having some questionable problems.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    DryghtenDryghten Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    For my money, The Road was the best film this year. And I truly believe Viggo should get the Oscar for his performance in the role of 'The Man', and that John Hillcoat should get the Oscar for best direction.. Cannot believe how underrated this movie is.

Up is my vote for best animated picture.

Also, in direct response to the OP: Billy Crudup is a very talented actor, but if anyone deserves an Oscar for The Watchmen, it would have to be Jackie Earle Haley as Rorshach, or Jeffrey Dean Morgan for The Comedian (however, there is one line in the film I cannot stand --the way he delivers the
    "it's all a joke" line while crying on Moloch's bed

Overall, this was a fairly mediocre year for movies for me. I mean, I really really liked Avatar, Invictus (Rugby bias, on the whole I think it was one of Eastwoods weaker efforts) The Road, Up and The Hangover... but everything else was just... meh.

Dryghten on
  • Options
    Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    fantastic-mr-fox.jpg

If I could lime a picture I totally would. This is now one of my favorite movies of all time.

Mr Obersmith on
    Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I heard that Alvin & The Chipmunks: The Squeakuel was submitted for best Animated Feature.

That just feels wrong.

Yeah, it's best that we don't usually see the list of submissions, lest we think the studios completely detached from reality.

On that note, The Hangover has actually been formally submitted to the Academy. Though, in my mind, that's not nearly as egregious as Warners submitting Brandon Routh for best actor in Superman Returns.

EDIT: Here's a link to all the submitted animated features. I'm surprised Disney, with Up, A Christmas Carol, Ponyo, and The Princess & The Frog already representing the Mouse House, went for broke and submitted the nearly-direct-to-dvd Tinkerbell & The Lost Treasure. That takes some serious balls. Or greed.

I don't hate that Hangover was submitted, because there is no love for non-dramas at the Oscars, so push what you can!

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've never been a huge Pixar fan. I've only watched Incredibles, Monsters Inc. and WALL-E, and they were okay, but not really something I would go out of my way to watch again. I certainly don't think Pixar deserves a free ride in the Animated category - let alone a position in Motion Picture, as many have argued for.

But I just saw Up. And if that doesn't warrant a nomination for Best Picture, they need to redefine that entire category. I rarely use this word in any serious context, but Up is a goddamned masterpiece.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I've never been a huge Pixar fan. I've only watched Incredibles, Monsters Inc. and WALL-E, and they were okay, but not really something I would go out of my way to watch again. I certainly don't think Pixar deserves a free ride in the Animated category - let alone a position in Motion Picture, as many have argued for.

But I just saw Up. And if that doesn't warrant a nomination for Best Picture, they need to redefine that entire category. I rarely use this word in any serious context, but Up is a goddamned masterpiece.

Get off yer internet (or go to a torrent site) and watch Ratatouille. Posthaste.

Sam on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I can honestly say I enjoyed Up far more then Ratatouille.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ratatouille was okay, but Wall-E is easily their best film. :P

The Hurt Locker is a front runner for best picture? It was all right, but it was so formulaic and unimaginative. Great direction, I'll give it that, but the writing could've been done by cut-and-pasting other war movie scripts.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Nova_C wrote: »

The Hurt Locker is a front runner for best picture? It was all right, but it was so formulaic and unimaginative. Great direction, I'll give it that, but the writing could've been done by cut-and-pasting other war movie scripts.

Formulaic?

When did "crazy guy alienates his friends and family and willingly enters warzones because he hates the civilized world" become a formula?

Atomika on
  • Options
    InHumanInHuman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The actor who played Landa deserves gold.

Invictus was good, but not good enough. Mabye I have such a problem with it because it dosn't comepare well to "Gran Torino", which was one of Clint's best works.

InHuman on
  • Options
    blakeblake Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Page- wrote: »
    The Hurt Locker had better get nominated for something, though.

Totally agree with this. In fact, if Jeremy Renner doesn't get nominated for anything, I'ma flip a shit. Not really, but I would be sad. : [

blake on
    What kind of bees make milk?
    Boobees!
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It's probably a dickish move, but i'm gonna strike Coraline from my personal list.

That movie was pretty crappy.

EDIT:
    fantastic-mr-fox.jpg

I have been trying to see this movie literally for weeks, but no frikkin' theater in or around Houston seems to be showing it anymore!

I fear that when I finally make it back up to Canada in January, it'll have been pulled from showtimes!

Godfather on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Formulaic?

When did "crazy guy alienates his friends and family and willingly enters warzones because he hates the civilized world" become a formula?

Yeah, I'm having trouble understanding how you could find it formulaic when you consider that it doesn't really even have a central plot. That's probably the only real problem I can see with the film, but I also think it's on of its better qualities.

I think the point was not that he hated civilization, just that he was addicted to the war in a way. That's what I got out of the openning quote and the last act of the movie, anyway.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I would like to see Hurt Locker win. of what I've seen so far, anyway.

oh, wait, I want Inglorious to win, that's right. It's gotta win something, if not best picture.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited December 2009

Because it was bombastic and masturbatory

:rotate:

bongi on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »

Yes!

I have seen nearly all and enjoyed most of Pixar's films (Finding Nemo and Wall-E being my least favourite, and I've seen Ratatouille which was good but nowhere near as good as Up) but Up blew everything else they have done away, imo.

Up was movie perfection for me and was my favourite everything of the year.

Unfortunately while plenty of people liked it few have liked it as well as we have.

Janson on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    wall-e and finding nemo are so much better than Up.

Variable on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hey, I said it was my opinion (and you are wrong) :P

Janson on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    you are the one who is wrong

janson

Variable on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Variable wrote: »

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Andrew Stanton bitches.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Variable wrote: »

I'd disagree. I think you can make a case that Wall-E is better than Up, but the term "SO MUCH" in front of better makes me give the stinkeye. Wall-E and Up are both fucking magnificent movies. I personally think Up is the better film, but even so, I don't think it's that much better than Wall-E. To me, the quality comparison is closer to Godfather and Godfather Part II. The gulf between those two is more like a small rip in a piece of paper.

Modified Best Picture Nominees

The Hurt Locker
    Nine
    Up in the Air
    Inglourious Basterds
    Up
    Precious
    A Serious Man
    An Education
    Invictus

I get the feeling that Eastwood's gonna get his, even though people seem put off by how blatantly oscar-baity the film is. Avatar is definitely going to get the massive blockbuster nod that I thought Star Trek might have gotten earlier.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I think Up starts incredibly strong, but I don't like where it goes.

maybe I need to see it again.

I also dislike The Incredibles though so most don't really give a shit about my opinions on Pixar.

Variable on