Options

Paper? That's like a baby's toy! [eReaders]

• Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    I am by all measures extremely computer savvy, and I much like the convenience of whispernet over dicking around with a mounted drive every time I want to put books on it.

Plus it is a lot of fun to just fire up the store and download samples wherever I happen to be

See, this is what I don't understand, how often do you want to put books on? I mean the desktop software is faster, easier to use, and it'll auto sync your device when you plug it in to charge, which you need to do with some regularity anyway. Desktop software is generally more convenient o_O

I dunno, having both in the household (kindles and sonys) the wireless is kinda nice in theory, but it doesn't come in handy enough for me anyway, to even make it on to the list of considerations i'd look at when i want to upgrade mine.

Having the ability to do both with the Kindle (ie, download it direct to the Kindle vs. download it to the PC then transfer it to the Kindle), I find the wireless option to be far, far less of a hassle.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I am by all measures extremely computer savvy, and I much like the convenience of whispernet over dicking around with a mounted drive every time I want to put books on it.

Plus it is a lot of fun to just fire up the store and download samples wherever I happen to be

See, this is what I don't understand, how often do you want to put books on? I mean the desktop software is faster, easier to use, and it'll auto sync your device when you plug it in to charge, which you need to do with some regularity anyway. Desktop software is generally more convenient o_O
    • I buy new books more often than I charge my device.
    • I don't know which new book I'm going to buy until I'm done with my current one.
    • I don't like fumbling with wires any time I can avoid it.
    • I dispute that buying the books on the computer and transferring them is faster or more convenient even once the device is plugged in; in my experience, it is neither.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I plug my kindle into the wall to charge (seriously, Sony, stop trying to sell a wall wart and put a USB->wall adaptor in the box)

In the 3 days I used the reader touch I connected it to my comp like a dozen times. Shit got old

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

I dunno, having both in the household (kindles and sonys) the wireless is kinda nice in theory, but it doesn't come in handy enough for me anyway, to even make it on to the list of considerations i'd look at when i want to upgrade mine.

Having the ability to do both with the Kindle (ie, download it direct to the Kindle vs. download it to the PC then transfer it to the Kindle), I find the wireless option to be far, far less of a hassle.

I have to drive at least 30 minutes before I can use the wireless features of the Kindle. However, plugging it in and dropping a couple of files into a folder isn't exactly a hassle so I'm not complaining.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    OremLK wrote: »
    We're beyond the cutting edge of early adopters though. I know plenty of people that don't have the skills to sync with computers that either have, or are considering a Kindle.

Indeed. And in fact Amazon has been marketing the Kindle hard at non-computer geeks since day one with considerable success.

I think this might be because marketing it to computer geeks is marketing it to a crowd that knows what a raging hard-on the publishers have for bizarre DRM, and that it's not worth the headache.

I've wanted a Kindle for a while now. And my dad said he was thinking about getting me one for Christmas. But when it really came down to it, spending $260 on something that allows the publishers to jerk around the users to their heart's content just seemed a really bad way to spend money.

At least as far as this computer geek is concerned - I won't spend the money on one of these things until the standard has matured, and the DRM has been neutered to the point of an e-book being a reasonable facsimile of a real book.

I.e. I want to be able to loan the thing to a friend, or just outright give it to someone without dealing with limited activations, phoning home, or any of that crap.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    HoundxHoundx Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    s3rial one wrote: »
    At least as far as this computer geek is concerned - I won't spend the money on one of these things until the standard is matured, and the DRM has been neutered to the point of an e-book being a reasonable facsimile of a real book.

I.e. I want to be able to loan the thing to a friend, or just outright give it to someone without dealing with limited activations, phoning home, or any of that crap.

Just get anything that supports epub (pretty much anything except the kindle). Removing epub drm is trvial.

Houndx on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I also am not understanding what the argument against having wireless is. It's not like having wireless prevents you from plugging it in and making transfers that way. It might make it a little more expensive but really the price isn't so bad anymore.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think it's more of the argument that some people make recommendations based solely on whether or not it has wireless (ie, Gizmodo).

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Just saw something interesting.

Apparently a crew at nookdevs have started to crack the Nook's OS and they say it can do anything a rooted Android phone can do.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh my.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Has anyone with the kindle done any experimenting with browsing Wikipedia on it? That seems like a fun little feature, if it works. Is it pretty usable, or is it unbearably slow?

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    OremLK wrote: »
    I also am not understanding what the argument against having wireless is. It's not like having wireless prevents you from plugging it in and making transfers that way. It might make it a little more expensive but really the price isn't so bad anymore.

And really, when you look at the alternatives without wireless, it doesn't actually seem to affect the price at all. Sony's equivalent reader, the Touch, retails for $40 more, and their model coming out soon with wireless is a full $140 more, though it does have a larger screen to compensate for that price.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Has anyone with the kindle done any experimenting with browsing Wikipedia on it? That seems like a fun little feature, if it works. Is it pretty usable, or is it unbearably slow?

Wikipedia's not so bad, since it's not very graphically intensive. It loads about as fast as a 56k modem. It's a little annoying scrolling down the page with the nubstick though.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Just saw something interesting.

Apparently a crew at nookdevs have started to crack the Nook's OS and they say it can do anything a rooted Android phone can do.

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to start doing that. Pretty much the first thought I had when they handed me the promotional material.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So basically this means that the Nook will work as a MID?

Impersonator on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It should be able to.. albeit slow.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SideAffectsSideAffects Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So I think my girlfriend got me a Nook for xmas :O Obviously she took the hint what with me blabbing about ereaders for the last month or so :)

However, in my red-pill-blue-pill debate (nook vs kindle) I was REALLY starting to lean towards the Kindle. I'm a bit worried about the lack of a web browser...when the time comes should I just return it and buy a kindle or just accept the fact that I have a larger ebook library? ;)

SideAffects on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So, I'm totally going to buy a Kindle 2. Sometime.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TroyTroy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I bought the Sony Pocket eReader (prs300) yesterday.

Mainly because of,

A. The size
    B. The widder range of file formats

I wanted an ebook to read books, that's it. I always plan out what I'm going to read so it is never a problem of needing to get a new book right away. Needless to say it fills the role I want it for perfectly. Every add on feature that the Kindle and Nook offer I already have a device that works far better.

Maybe it's me getting older but the simplicity of the 300 is refreshing, I don't need all them damn hoozits and thingamajiggers.

I also have to say the first book I'm reading is Neal Stephensons "Diamond Age", which is great and fitting.

I don't know what it is but I feel like I have to read Sci-Fi on this thing.

Troy on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I really like the 300. I'm still semi-regretful that I got the 600 instead. The 300 definitely has the best screen of all the current-gen eReaders.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think I am getting a 600 for christmas, should I get a 300? I have a 500 right now.

useless4 on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    useless4 wrote: »
    I think I am getting a 600 for christmas, should I get a 300? I have a 500 right now.

It's hard to say, the extra features on the 600 are nice and some people are fine with the screen, but lots of people going from the 5xx to the 600 can't stand it. It's something you really need to see in person and decide for yourself

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    useless4 wrote: »

It's hard to say, the extra features on the 600 are nice and some people are fine with the screen, but lots of people going from the 5xx to the 600 can't stand it. It's something you really need to see in person and decide for yourself

See if you can try a demo 600 at a local Best Buy to check out first.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    Got my kindle and I am in love.
    My PDFs show up great in landscape mode.

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Photo PDFs or text?

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    Text. Not as crisp as the kindle books, but very readable.

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've had my Kindle 2 since March and I've couldn't be happier with it. I did have one return on it because I accidently left it on power save mode [screen saver] vs turning it off and the upper right hand corner had e-ink stuck with the saver image. Not a huge deal and Amazon was very cool about it and replaced it [warrenty] with no questions asked. Having no backlight isn't really a negative feature as it reads as naturally as a paper back book. Got the Amazon leather kindle cover with it and works great. Keeps the Kindle safe from scratches and can be used to prop the Kindle up to read on the desk while I'm at work. Lovely device and worth the cost to get.

For those wondering if they should get a K2 or the DX I would say it comes down to if you are going to take advantage of the magazine subscriptions or just read books. The DX was designed with magazines in mind. Not sure if I would care for such a big screen, but it really comes down to preferance and price. And for the price the K2 really does the job for me.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Random thought: how common are eReader demo units at Best Buys? Like, all of them have some, or just in the larger areas?

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I've been to two Best Buys in the area, and both of them had eReader displays

HOWEVER

They were set to only show demo screens, with no way to get into an actual book or anything other than an instructional manual. So that kind of sucked a little.

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Fuckin' A. Kindle for iPhone is finally available internationally.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I've been to two Best Buys in the area, and both of them had eReader displays

HOWEVER

They were set to only show demo screens, with no way to get into an actual book or anything other than an instructional manual. So that kind of sucked a little.

That's fine. I'm more curious about the screens themselves.

Worse comes to worse, I'll take a field trip down to El Paso when I'm back State-side. :(

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    It does really almost look like paper, although there is a certain something about it that is not quite as convincing as the Nook that I got to play with at Barns and Noble. The problem with the Nook being that the responses to commands were pretty slow.

I'm majorly coveting a Kindle right now. The Wikipedia function, newspaper delivery, magazine options, and book selection are calling to me. Somebody talk me out of spending that much money

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm majorly coveting a Kindle right now. The Wikipedia function, newspaper delivery, magazine options, and book selection are calling to me. Somebody talk me out of spending that much money

Doooo iiiiiitttt!!!

Wait, I think I'm doing this wrong...

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Heh, not going to get any help from me, either. I can honestly say I wish I had bought one when it was $359 so I would have bought less paper books in the intervening time. I pretty much don't want to read on paper anymore.

OremLK on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Neither of you are helping :P

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

How about this: The Kindle is well supported, but B&N has more eBooks than Amazon, right? B&N is switching to ePUB format (if not already) which means that more eReaders will be able to use them.

Topping that off, the Nook has been rooted and will probably be modded in some form in the coming weeks, let alone the number of up-and-coming eReaders. Just wait and see what happens for now :) (Personally, I really wanna see what gets done with those color/eInk hybrid screens)

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I hear the Nook is a buggy mess right now though and the battery life isn't nearly as good.

OremLK on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Thank you Cokebottle. But I heard that the books that B&N are counting towards their total are including the out-of-copyright titles that are free, which Amazon also has available but does not count towards their total number?

Your point about waiting is well-taken, though. There could be some very interesting developments in the near future. The question is whether or not i can hold out....

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I don't know about the free books. I had just heard that B&N had more eBooks because they were doing the eBook thing longer than Amazon. I could be wrong on that front. *shrug*

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Cokebotle wrote: »

How about this: The Kindle is well supported, but B&N has more eBooks than Amazon, right? B&N is switching to ePUB format (if not already) which means that more eReaders will be able to use them.

Topping that off, the Nook has been rooted and will probably be modded in some form in the coming weeks, let alone the number of up-and-coming eReaders. Just wait and see what happens for now :) (Personally, I really wanna see what gets done with those color/eInk hybrid screens)

Actually, the Nook doesn't have more books. That's a little bit of smoke and mirrors by B&N in their advertising. The 1M total they're throwing around apparently includes Google books. There's no actual total available for just the B&N store, but most peg it as somewhere less than Amazon's offerings.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg