Options

Paper? That's like a baby's toy! [eReaders]

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ah, fair enough. :)

Oh! But Didgeridoo, maybe wait until CES? That's early January, right?

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm sorry, but do you mind explaining what CES is? I haven't heard of that before.

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Oh, I see. Thank you!

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Neither of you are helping :P

How about this: The Kindle is well supported, but B&N has more eBooks than Amazon, right? B&N is switching to ePUB format (if not already) which means that more eReaders will be able to use them.

Topping that off, the Nook has been rooted and will probably be modded in some form in the coming weeks, let alone the number of up-and-coming eReaders. Just wait and see what happens for now :) (Personally, I really wanna see what gets done with those color/eInk hybrid screens)

Actually, the Nook doesn't have more books. That's a little bit of smoke and mirrors by B&N in their advertising. The 1M total they're throwing around apparently includes Google books. There's no actual total available for just the B&N store, but most peg it as somewhere less than Amazon's offerings.

Right. B&N actually has a smaller selection of modern bestsellers than Amazon - they just count the obscure public domain classics, where Amazon doesn't.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2009
    Probably going to pick up a Kindle with whatever Christmas money I scrape up. I've just been grabbing public domain stuff on my iPhone, and fuck do I hate reading on that for extended periods of times. It's not bad for short bits like forums and articles, but I just dislike it for extended stuff like books.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I wish the Kindle had a feature where it kept a tally of how much money you save on each book if it normally costs more than the Kindle version (with negatives added in if the Kindle cost is more, of course).

I think I'm almost to the point where it's paid for itself, but I'm not sure. A huge part of it was a logic textbook that normally sells for $75, but on the kindle for the usual $9.99.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The Nook looks promising but considering the reviews and reception its been getting I think it, like the original Kindle, would be best to wait until version 2 comes out. Probably be faster with a more efficent battery. But right now the only way the Nook could steal me from the Kindle would be if they were to get Graphic Novel and Manga support with Marvel, DC, Tokyopop, and Dark Horse behind them. First eReader to get comic books on them will win in my eyes.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Not only that some of the third party eReaders coming out are being built for cost effectiveness, we could be seeing a $100 ereader within a year.

Personally I've been holding out for the Sony Daily (900) for the screen size & power. Now I just have to scrape the money together again & pray my car doesn't need more work done. The 3g is nice but useless for me since most of the time I'm in places that don't have it. So I need the removable memory option that the Sony models have. The Daily can go up to 32gigs. I could put a year's worth of reading on there & be just fine.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    well it seems like the nook just needs a firmware update. that would help with battery life and the speed issue. from what i have read it has the form factor etc, just needs some software tweaking. though if you can only lend a book once ever, taht kind of sucks.

Does anyone know if you can link more than one reader to an account? like say i had one and my wife had one, if we kept it under one name could we load them up with the same books or would we need to buy the book twice

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    mts wrote: »
    well it seems like the nook just needs a firmware update. that would help with battery life and the speed issue. from what i have read it has the form factor etc, just needs some software tweaking. though if you can only lend a book once ever, taht kind of sucks.

Does anyone know if you can link more than one reader to an account? like say i had one and my wife had one, if we kept it under one name could we load them up with the same books or would we need to buy the book twice

I don't know about the Nook, but that's how my wife and I share our Kindles. They're both under her Amazon account, so anything she buys, I can download a second time on my Kindle, and vice versa.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    metfanscmetfansc Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My wife and I both have kindle's on the same account so we share everything on the two books. On the main post about the Nook today, i work for a book distribution company and I just want to make the point that publishers HATE HATE HATE libraries and only see them useful for academic and other types of books that would never sell at all if they didn't exist. The very idea of Harry Potter being readily available in a library drives publishers completely bonkers and they detest the very concept of it.

To them a Library should only exist as a government cash cow for books that no one would purchase on their own.

metfansc on
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I got some time to play with the Nook last weekend, and I eagerly await to see if this software upgrade will speed it up a bit. If so, it will be so bought!

Neurotika on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    BN has started selling all of their new books as Epub and are converting the rest to it as well. They still have DRM and are working with Adobe to allow other readers to be able to validate those files.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The Nook has now been hacked to run Pandora.

All you Nook owners should be veryyyy happy now. :) I'm a little jealous, myself, as a Kindle owner.

Based on all the stuff coming out of the people who've rooted the Nook, apps are going to be possible very very soon - and B&N is not moving to block them at all. Also it can potentially be tethered, or so I've heard.

I'm excited to see what this will mean for the future of e-book readers!

Spacemilk on
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Tethered?

Neurotika on
  • Options
    StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    Use the free wireless for a laptop or something.
    That would be sick.

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    At some point you have to figure either B&N is going to block them or the wireless carrier is. No way AT&T or whoever is going to permanently provide skads of free wireless to people streaming music and tethering off their laptop

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So, I used my DX over the time I was away at a show for work. After the show, before the show, during dead times at the show... damn thing never left my hand unless I needed both for something. Flight out there didn't have any issues with the flight attendant. She was savvy :). Flight home though, the attendant was giving me the evil eye and kept on me to turn it off until the flight was underway D:. I love this thing so much, and as of now, if I get the option, it's an eBook I will choose, unless they don't have it.

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The Nook is also running a Facebook and Twitter app and a browser.

+ information.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    That's pretty awesome, but I can't imagine that B&N are going to let this stand. They must be panicking at this news, and wondering whether this means people will start pulling copies of the e-books off the device and sharing them.

I know absolutely nothing about 'rooting' devices, and the B&N execs probably don't either. Even if this has absolutely nothing to do with sharing e-books, that's what they're going to immediately start thinking about.

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't think B&N will care much for stuff like that since they did choose the open source Android on it in the first place. When it comes to it reaching a point when the tinkering can get to the books for free is when I can see them going after them, but I don't think it would effect the other stuff. Just the books.

Helpless Rock on
    WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm having a hard time finding info regarding .pdfs. I have tons of D&D and Call of Cthulhu pdfs that I want to be able to read clearly off an ereader. Is this possible yet? Or is it more hassle than its worth?

JRosey on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    It's possible on both the Kindle and the Nook.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    But no zoom, right? That might make things hella difficult to read.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    PDFs look great on the Kindle 2. This was a big concern for me as well. You can't adjust font size, but you can read in landscape which works great.

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I suspect JRosey's problem is that some of them are photo scans of very old out-of-print Call of Cthulhu sourcebooks, right? I have a few of the same kind of thing.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I suspect JRosey's problem is that some of them are photo scans of very old out-of-print Call of Cthulhu sourcebooks, right? I have a few of the same kind of thing.

Yup. And I buy pdfs directly from the publisher which is nice but I hate reading them on my laptop. My main concern is that there's usually pictured borders down the sides that might force the page to be too small to comfortably read.

JRosey on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Not sure if this is a selling point or not for you guys, but Sony eReaders will get exclusive Dow Jones and New York Post content.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I don't think B&N will care much for stuff like that since they did choose the open source Android on it in the first place. When it comes to it reaching a point when the tinkering can get to the books for free is when I can see them going after them, but I don't think it would effect the other stuff. Just the books.

I doubt they care about the apps, but underwriting infinite data over 3G? Either they're going to lose their shirts or if they have a flat rate deal the wireless carrier is going to have a fit and disable Nooks.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Not sure if this is a selling point or not for you guys, but Sony eReaders will get exclusive Dow Jones and New York Post content.

If I pay them more can I not get the Post?

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    At some point you have to figure either B&N is going to block them or the wireless carrier is. No way AT&T or whoever is going to permanently provide skads of free wireless to people streaming music and tethering off their laptop
    B&N won't do it anytime soon unless/until AT&T threatens to cut all Nooks off. After all, if people hear about this and buy a Nook for this reason, they're locking themselves in to a platform. That's exactly what B&N wants. AT&T won't want to provide it, but could they cut off individual Nooks who are drawing too much? Could they even cut off all Nooks, once they've been sold? (I actually don't know the answers to these questions but it's very interesting stuff)

(also I'm sorry if someone said this already, I haven't read pg 15 yet, I was reading through 14 and wanted to respond to this)

Spacemilk on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    They could brick all modified Nooks and force you to play a fee to have them flash the software back to the defaults.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    They could brick all modified Nooks and force you to play a fee to have them flash the software back to the defaults.

God help them if they can remotely brick the things. I would not stand for it.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The percentage of people that are actually going to buy the nook specifically for the purpose of rooting the device and tinkering around with it is probably less than 1% of total nook buyers.

Yes, I realize that's a statistic I pulled out of my ass, but still. Anyone that thinks that NO ONE on the engineering team of the nook foresaw this is foolish.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The percentage of people that are actually going to buy the nook specifically for the purpose of rooting the device and tinkering around with it is probably less than 1% of total nook buyers.

Yes, I realize that's a statistic I pulled out of my ass, but still. Anyone that thinks that NO ONE on the engineering team of the nook foresaw this is foolish.

Has Dilbert taught you nothing?! :lol:

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    SniperGuy wrote: »

God help them if they can remotely brick the things. I would not stand for it.

It happened to the Jail breaked Iphones and Modified Xboxes. You'd be a fool to think that they wouldn't consider a final solution of some sorts. Just check the user agreement of the hardware and make sure that Modifications are not against the rules.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Did they actually 'brick' either of those, though?

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    They banned xboxs from live, which pretty much makes them worthless.

Apple hasn't blatantly bricked anything yet.

useless4 on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    useless4 wrote: »
    They banned xboxs from live, which pretty much makes them worthless.

Except for the fact that they can still play games.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg