As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mega-Man: Always Fighting To Save The World!

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ah, those were the good ol days. I liked BN up till 4, then it just got silly. Two is still the best IMO.

Also does anyone know if those archie comics are recurring subscriptions? I would like to get my hands on those Megaman comics.

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, I played and loved the first two Battle Network games and really liked them. They had a unique art style, and collecting chips was addicting.

The newer handheld Mega Man games sort of suck though, as I understand it. Anybody have any experience with them? I guess they're called like, Mega Man Star Wanker or something.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Never played Battle Network. Always seemed too goofy to me.

To be fair though, I didn't really play any of the NUMEROUS spinoffs after Legends.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I didn't like Legends 2 all that much, too much combat and the Legends combat engine is a bit...bad.

Also the extremely linear dungeons were kinda lame.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Legends 2 was ok, but the story was weird. I specifically remember the exposition before the last boss literally putting me to sleep (it didn't help that I was really, really tired when I played that part :D). I still have no idea what they said - all I heard was something about Elysium. Never beat that game either - last boss always kicked my ass until I gave up.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Ah, those were the good ol days. I liked BN up till 4, then it just got silly. Two is still the best IMO.

Here's how I rate the Battle Network series:

1) MMBN 2 - Man, the "Gater" Program Advance was broken.

Gater

2) MMBN 3 - Lots of surprisingly difficult extra content.

3) MMBN 6 - Beast Out was awesome, as was the ability to change between forms during combat. The final boss(es) weren't interesting at all, though.

4) MMBN 1 - A great introduction, but it hasn't aged well.

5) MMBN 5 - The Liberation Missions were fun, but the rest of the game was pretty forgettable (although it did give us the line "I'll jack-in to your squirrel if that's what it takes!").

6) MMBN 4 - Contains the silliest (and also somehow the most dull) scenarios in the entire series.

7) MM Network Transmission - Bleh.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I bought Network Transmission because it was cheap and in good condition, and it was Mega Man.

I haven't played it yet. No good?

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I bought Network Transmission because it was cheap and in good condition, and it was Mega Man.

Network Transmission is some decent platforming action. I found it enjoyable! If you got it for cheap you might as well give it a shot. At the very least it has some pretty nice music.

Now Battle Chip Challenge, that is literally the worst game with the Battle Network branding on it.

Slicer on
  • Options
    JishianJishian ◥▶◀◤ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I recently gave Mega Man 1 another try on the VC. So far I've beaten Cut Man and Elec Man, this is two bosses further than I've ever been!

Jishian on
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The Megaman Star Force games follow a weird pattern. The first is pretty good, if a bit more exploitable than most of the Battle Network games. The second is one of the worst and most broken games I've ever played, it is absolutely insane in the worst way. Star Force 3 though is on par with the best Battle Network games though.

Z0re on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Slicer wrote: »

Network Transmission is some decent platforming action. I found it enjoyable! If you got it for cheap you might as well give it a shot. At the very least it has some pretty nice music.

Now Battle Chip Challenge, that is literally the worst game with the Battle Network branding on it.

Keep in mind that Network Transmission is fucking hard as hell.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    TikhonTikhon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh man, hearing that Battle Network music in the Gater video totally takes me back.

I've never actually finished a BN though. I've just gotten to the last battle in 1 and 3.

Tikhon on
    cockman.jpg
  • Options
    RestartRestart Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Gater is legendary.

Restart on
    spritesWalk.gif
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

I liked 5, up until the cheap (as usual) end boss, anyway. My favorite part was the Liberation Battles.

One of my dream games would be a sequel of sorts to Mega Man X: Command Mission, where you form a unit of Maverick Hunters and fight Mavericks in battles similar to those; at least, similar from the map/strategy perspective.

I was disappointed to learn that MMBN5 still had regular random battles, too.

As for 6, I still need to play that. But since I never beat 5, I just sort of got sidetracked...
    Also does anyone know if those archie comics are recurring subscriptions? I would like to get my hands on those Megaman comics.

I'm not sure what you mean by "recurring subscriptions." Do you mean that if you get more than one, they just tack it on to the end of what you have?
    Yeah, I played and loved the first two Battle Network games and really liked them. They had a unique art style, and collecting chips was addicting.

The newer handheld Mega Man games sort of suck though, as I understand it. Anybody have any experience with them? I guess they're called like, Mega Man Star Wanker or something.

Star Force. I actually liked the first one more than Battle Network, even if I didn't like the characters quite as much. But the gameplay was overall more fun to me, particularly the battles.

Star Force 2, I got tired of after one too many frequent random encounters. Besides sucking up most of one's time while playing, it made it difficult to get your bearings and figure out where you were supposed to go when you pick it up again. At least, it did for me.

Star Force 3, I still need to get. I hear the series more or less ends there.
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Legends 2 was ok, but the story was weird. I specifically remember the exposition before the last boss literally putting me to sleep (it didn't help that I was really, really tired when I played that part :D). I still have no idea what they said - all I heard was something about Elysium. Never beat that game either - last boss always kicked my ass until I gave up.

I recall equipping a part which makes you immune to flame damage, finding a place near the end with these worm things who only did that kind of damage and exploding on contact with me, and having the Vacuum Arm button rubber-banded down as I turned off the TV and did something else until I had enough Zenny to fully-upgrade the Shining Laser and show that bitch how we do things downtown.
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

Here's how I rate the Battle Network series:

1) MMBN 2 - Man, the "Gater" Program Advance was broken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltSwVg_DgtU

...and I won't even comment on what it looks like Mega Man is doing to GateMan throughout that attack. Though I might do the same thing for that kind of damage...
    7) MM Network Transmission - Bleh.

I should have liked this, but I didn't. It just didn't come together the right way for me.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I played Battle Network 3 Blue or whatever back when it was new, and it was pretty fun for a Mega Man RPG.

Are the other games worth checking out, and is it worth trying to grab both versions of the later games? What are the differences?

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I didn't think so.

Imagine you're playing a classic sidescroller Mega Man game. Imagine that you have more abilities you can use than just 8 robot master weapons. Now imagine that you can only choose a small number of those abilities at any time, and that you have to wait for, like, 5 minutes before you can select new ones (oh, and the ones you select can run out of uses).

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I really wish I could find information about the Japan exclusive Battle Network games.

I did manage to find this video of gameplay from Legend of the Network, though.

This is artwork of the character in the video:

capcom18.jpg

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I played Battle Network 3 Blue or whatever back when it was new, and it was pretty fun for a Mega Man RPG.

Are the other games worth checking out, and is it worth trying to grab both versions of the later games? What are the differences?

They're all pretty much worth looking in to if you liked one of them. I loved the BN games and the Star Force games. Too bad there aren't going to be any more.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I really wish I could find information about the Japan exclusive Battle Network games.

I did manage to find this video of gameplay from Legend of the Network, though.

This is artwork of the character in the video:

capcom18.jpg

Here's all the info you need:
    None of the Japanese exclusive MMBN games are worth playing.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I'm not sure what you mean by "recurring subscriptions." Do you mean that if you get more than one, they just tack it on to the end of what you have?

No as in if I get the one year sub, then that year is up, will they automatically charge my card for the next year unless I say cancel? Cause some companies do that and its really annoying.

SPEAKING OF BN GAMES. I still love my BN 4.5 Real Operation game I got years ago. Something about slotting in fake bass for Starman to do massive damage is hilarious.

Riokenn on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

BN5 for Nintendo DS is a rare find; it features both versions, with some crossover features I don't believe are in the originals, AND can interact with different games in the cartridge slot of the DS (different Mega Man games, that is), including the GBA versions of BN5.

I liked 4. First and only BN game I've managed to beat legit. And just BARELY.

And I liked the first Star Force.
    No as in if I get the one year sub, then that year is up, will they automatically charge my card for the next year unless I say cancel? Cause some companies do that and its really annoying.

Oh, sorry, no idea about that. If I can find out, I'll mention it here.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm not sure we can even assume the comic is going to last past a year. I mean, would Archie really make plans for a brand new comic and assume it'll sell like gangbusters? I really dont know how, as a company, financially stable they are.

Tikhon on
    cockman.jpg
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    How long did the IDW Mega Man comic last, 4 issues?

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure did. Bought 2 and 4 then bought the compilation book that had all the issues. Dunno why, but Roll always looked so werid in the first issue cover.

Riokenn on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Dreamwave, not IDW, and yes, four issues.

I expect far better results from Archie for a number of reasons, two of which are:

1) More faithful to the source material, and

2) It's likely to have far, FAR better distribution. DW only sold to comic shops, the direct market, and a lot of people don't have or know of a comic shop near them. Archie's titles, on the other hand, can be found virtually everywhere. If you are in the US or Canada, finding the book should be little problem.

And I think that will be a key difference. A lot of people I know, people in the actual fandom who visit the sites and partake in the comments and forums regularly, have never even seen an issue of Dreamwave's version, if they knew it existed at all.

But this? From Newsarama to IGN to CBR and more, there are more promotions, interviews, etc. People will know this exists.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Thats true. The Toysrus I just moved near to puts comic books in the misc action figure aisle. Which includes the little Mega Man and Sonic toys they have.

Tikhon on
    cockman.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    If you have questions about the comic, this is something you'll want to check out.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So is there any chance we'll get anymore games in the ZX series?

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Better not be fucking true.

Even though I know it is.

Goddammit, I was excited for that.

Edit: Assholes at GAF are all "oh no this was always going to be shit mur mur murrr".

Yeah, a LBP-inspired Mega Man game where you can create your own stages and customize your own Mega Men sure sounds awful. Oh no, wait! It sounded the opposite of awful!

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It was totally ugly and we're all better off for it.

Hope they get MML3 on the way out as well.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Because all games look exactly as they do when they're first announced. No chance at all it would improve on its visuals as it nears release, right?

• Options
    edited March 2011
    That art style was final according to interviews, I thought it was the stuff of betas as well.

They had to work really hard to out do MMPU when it comes to ugly...and they succeeded.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm gonna go fight the Hook Guy from Resident Evil 4 out of protest.

Hope I can get past the part with the haunted mirror this time.

• Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sure, Mega Man Universe could have been decent, eventually, but they showed that game way way too soon.

Put on a brave face, Legends 3 will be that much better. Or something.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    What about all that really cool anime footage?

At least turn that into something.

• Options
    edited March 2011
    That was from Mega Man Online.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    That's...not the same thing?

• Options
    edited March 2011
    That's...not the same thing?

Rockman Online is not Mega Man Universe.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Universe looked horrible and Mega Man Legends 3 will be horrible. We can pretty much consider the character dead at this point.

Orochi_Rockman on