As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How often do you edit your posts, and why do you do so?

freelancerbobfreelancerbob UKRegistered User regular
edited December 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
Seems like that's not too complex a question, but it might provide insight, humour, or at least waste a minute or two of your life.

Seriously, I seem to have to edit every other post for spelling or capitalization or grammar. Even though I ALWAYS read through before I post, I constantly find I have forgotten some little thing.

I often remember some little idea or concept that I feel compelled to throw in even though I already hit post. No-one likes to see the same guy throw up 2 consecutive posts after all.

Also, I put the reason for the edit in the actual posts EVEN THOUGH there's that little "reason for edit" box. I think this must be a throwback to older, crappier forums which didn't have this feature, but I think It makes it clearer and helps show the evolution of the post.

If you are a Mod, on this or any other forum, what are the most common reasons you have to edit another user's post?

I am really hoping I don't have to edit this post, so I'm going to read through it really carefully, and then do so again.

edit: just kidding, I didn't edit this one, yet...

edit: ECHO WAS HERE

What is this thing that is happening here.
freelancerbob on

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I usually only edit whenever I mess up on spelling or a link I am posting is broken. I don't usually edit content in my posts unless it is pretty bad.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I usually edit when I realize I had one more thing to add or forgot something. Or when I realize something I said might be interpreted some way. And I have a habit of editing my posts with a note.

Edit - I guess I edit to correct spelling too, or when I have some jackass random word somewhere I didn't mean it to be.

Henroid on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    i don't give a fuck about spelling or capitalization or punctuation most of the time

and i am infamous for my usage of line breaks

so really i don't edit my posts very much unless a mistake i make (typo, word omission, etc) actually makes what i said difficult to understand or could lead someone to the opposite conclusion or something.

Pony on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    spelling and better insults

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    After a few years of typing no more than a few paragraphs a month (if that), I now suck at typing. So I frequently edit for grammar, punctuation, and spelling.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I usually just lurk but I feel like contributing for once.

When I would regularly post on a different forum, I was pretty bad at editing. I would post first, then go over my post for any mistakes that had to be fixed. I was also pretty bad at it, I would often times repeatedly edit my posts because I read over them too fast. D:
    But things were a bit different there, emphasis was on the first posts because literally no one sat and read entire threads. The other forumers were pretty immature and had little attention span. People would read a couple of pages and then move on to some place else, even the post quality went down after those couple of pages. D:

There was also pressure to post a lot, so posts were always pretty shitty.

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    Spelling, capitalisation and punctuation.

Or if someone has posted something that makes my post irrelevant or changes the subject I might add something.

Bogart on
  • OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Mostly spelling.

Edit: What the guy above me said as well.

OldSlacker on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have a bad habit of going back and restructuring sentences after I type a post. Too often I fuck that up so I have weird tense changes and stuff. So those are a far amount of my edits. Then I get weird, uh, "typos" where I have a word substitution. They aren't typos as much as me typing the completely wrong word. It's weird but I'll go back and read a post and find I completely substituted a word for another while typing it.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    nuka wrote: »
    I usually just lurk but I feel like contributing for once.

When I would regularly post on a different forum, I was pretty bad at editing. I would post first, then go over my post for any mistakes that had to be fixed. I was also pretty bad at it, I would often times repeatedly edit my posts because I read over them too fast. D:
    But things were a bit different there, emphasis was on the first posts because literally no one sat and read entire threads. The other forumers were pretty immature and had little attention span. People would read a couple of pages and then move on to some place else, even the post quality went down after those couple of pages. D:

There was also pressure to post a lot, so posts were always pretty shitty.

Ohhhhhhhhhh let me guess you used Gaia right

Anyways I only hardcore edit my OPs (which is also the only time when I use grammar and paragraphs and periods and shit) because, you know, that starts a thread off. Gotta be all professional and shit or else people won't post in it

Besides that I pretty much only edit my posts for spelling, never content-although once I changed a thread title of a thread I made here because it was unnecessarily inflammatory. I actually felt guilty and hypocritical about doing it- people who edit out posts for content (besides to clear up possible misinterpretations in the post) seem to me to be backtracking their statements and getting rid of evidence of their contrary positions.
    Pretty spineless if you ask me

Also I have no issue with doubleposting if it's two separate thoughts or ideas you're posting. Makes things easier to read, for me

Rent on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'll delete about 1/4 of my posts 10 seconds after I make them because I realize they're dumb jokes/puns or I was making an argument that wasn't relevant/interesting. Then I panic for a little while waiting for someone to have quoted it during that 10 seconds and demanding an explanation for me being dumb.

KalTorak on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I edit to add things I think of right after I press post.

Also to remove insults which are likely to be construed as ad hom before the person has really broached enough stupid.

electricitylikesme on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have a general habit of mangling a word via typo and realizing it just after hitting the Post button. That's probably the most common reason for me.

Also, the old "Oh wait! One more thing!" bit. I do that often.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Often I create a sentence that's clunky and awkward, so I go back and revise. Most of my edits are for stylistic reasons.

MKR on
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I'll delete about 1/4 of my posts 10 seconds after I make them because I realize they're dumb jokes/puns or I was making an argument that wasn't relevant/interesting. Then I panic for a little while waiting for someone to have quoted it during that 10 seconds and demanding an explanation for me being dumb.

Me too.

I also edit to reply to posts that appeared while I was posting. I think sometimes I edit to concede a point to a post immediately below mine, though in retrospect that seems a poor use of the function.

I sometimes use the edit like P.S.! P.P.S.! And another thing! But lately I have been trying to avoid this.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    fixing broken tags, especially quote tags (mostly from badly-pruning a quote tree), is probably my biggest reason for editing

next would probably be addressing a point made between when I started typing my reply and when I pressed 'submit'

I rarely edit for spelling, grammar, typos, etc. unless it's really really bad

I will occasionally edit to avoid double-posting but only rarely -- I agree that if it's two separate thoughts, then a double-post is ok

Nerissa on
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I mangle sentences so badly, I often need to fix to become somewhat coherent. I guess it's due to a chaotic writing style, where I change my point often while writing, and wanting to respond fast in discussions.

I also make homonym mistakes in English, and i'm terrible at keeping my ()'s tidy.

And then there's the tendency to just abandon a post before I write it, because I feel it doesn't contribute enough, is nonsense, or that I don't have time to properly make my point. But mostly I do that before hitting post.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    edited November 2009
    Mahnmut wrote: »

I sometimes use the edit like P.S.! P.P.S.! And another thing! But lately I have been trying to avoid this.

Oh god I hate that, I don't imagine a forum as people writing letters to each other but more as a conversation that's slightly delayed (like a satellite interview on the news, is what I mean). It just strikes me as bizarre

Also, I hate people who write edit when they didn't edit their posts. I mean, they're not fooling anyone- we know your posts hasn't been edited. It's jarring in comparison to "And another thing..." "Also..." "Furthermore..." etc

[/pedantry]

Rent on
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Usually to clarify. Most of my posts are initial quick thoughts. After I read the post in context sometimes I feel I need to add more information so people know what I'm talking about.

E: Regarding the title of the thread. [lolz!]

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
    edited November 2009
    SanderJK wrote: »
    I also make homonym mistakes in English, and i'm terrible at keeping my ()'s tidy.

BH0213-150dpi.jpeg

Rent on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I frequently re-read what I've posted and immediately realize I've left out something (perhaps due to being distracted by actual work), or find a spelling, punctuation or gramatical error. Depending on how swiftly a thread is or isn't moving, sometimes I'll even edit a post that's several hours old rather than just post again in the topic, though that's usually for minor corrections or updates.

But I've noticed that I edit all the time.

And I'm going to try really hard not to edit this one.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    Rent wrote: »
    Mahnmut wrote: »

Oh god I hate that, I don't imagine a forum as people writing letters to each other but more as a conversation that's slightly delayed (like a satellite interview on the news, is what I mean). It just strikes me as bizarre

Also, I hate people who write edit when they didn't edit their posts. I mean, they're not fooling anyone- we know your posts hasn't been edited. It's jarring in comparison to "And another thing..." "Also..." "Furthermore..." etc

[/pedantry]

Your hatred may be misplaced. I think sometimes the edit tag in the bottom right doesn't show if you edit the post really quickly.

Bogart on
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I do it due to misspellings and the like.

Sometimes I do it because I am not clear in what I am saying.

Stuff like that.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Forar wrote: »
    I frequently re-read what I've posted and immediately realize I've left out something (perhaps due to being distracted by actual work)...

That seriously made me laugh out loud. Oh, since English isn't my language I constantly have to edit, proofread, etc. everything I post. It doesn't help that I'm usually typing the first thing that comes to my mind and I don't usually read my posts until I've hit the Submit button.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    There's an edit button?

I just proof read my posts before hitting submit.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Decius wrote: »
    There's an edit button?

I always preview my posts and still manage to find errors I overlooked in the preview and only caught after I already submitted it.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
    edited November 2009
    Decius wrote: »
    There's an edit button?

If you catch every error every time, then you're some sort of subhuman freak.

But that's ok. All kinds of people and non-people are tolerated here. <3

MKR on
  • ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The lack of edits in this thread is dissapointing.

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Spelling mistakes and their general ilk are what I typically edit a post for. Leaving a spelling mistake in just seems... wrong.

That said, I will occasionally add an addendum to a post if it is relatively small and doesn't really warrant a new post all to itself.

Edit: Does this make you feel better, Uean? :mrgreen:

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Often, I somehow find ways to combine words that make sense only to me. When I read my own posts and find that's the case, I go back and edit for clarity. I typically do this once immediately after posting and once again 5 minutes later.

Niceguy Myeye on
    edited November 2009
    Often, I somehow find ways to combine words that make sense only to me. When I read my own posts and find that's the case, I go back and edit for clarity. I typically do this once immediately after posting and once again 5 minutes later.

Like beercloddle?

MKR on
  • Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    MKR wrote: »

Like beercloddle?

Actually, this is a perfect example of what I was talking about. By combining, what I really meant was 'piece together in sentence form.'

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I tend to use edit so I don't have post after post after post in one thread, especially if no one else is posting. I'll post something, come back a few minutes later with something else to add and since no one else has posted, I"ll just edit my previous post and throw the thought in.

Edit: It tends to pile up.

Edit edit: Like this.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    Because my eyes keep fixing words and phrases that I actually misspelled and it is very annoying.

FyreWulff on
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I make typos in pretty much every post I make. Except this one.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I edit for spelling stuff I know I can spell right. Usually I realize what I did as soon as I hit the submit button. If you correct your post real fast the "last edited" tag doesn't show up.

I have tons of secret edits:mrgreen:

tallgeeze on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I never edit my posts

override367 on
  • FubearFubear Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I edit them for clarity, or impact, or if I ask a question and it was answered by someone earlier or later in the thread.

If it's a separate point, I'll usually separate it from the rest of the post with a big EDIT: right before.

I have a thing against editing posts based on the content. If I said something stupid, it should stay there in the thread as a matter of public record. Unlike a politician, I will publicly reconsider my stance if someone brings up a good counter.

Fubear on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I edit if I notice spelling / grammatical errors, thoughts or wordings that I decide to change. Occasionally I will edit a post to add a separate thought if I recently posted something in a thread, read to the end of it and have something else to say. This is rare because I try to completely catch up before I post anything but sometimes I get antsy.

Tomanta on
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    tallgeeze wrote: »
    I edit for spelling stuff I know I can spell right. Usually I realize what I did as soon as I hit the submit button. If you correct your post real fast the "last edited" tag doesn't show up.

I have tons of secret edits:mrgreen:

Come to think of it, anybody have any idea what determines whether "last edited" pops up? I've edited posts five minutes after hitting Submit without triggering the tag, and edited posts the moment the page loads and still get nailed.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif