As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How often do you edit your posts, and why do you do so?

• Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My method of posting is as follows:

First, I type out the post. Then I'll go back and fix the spelling errors that firefox finds and fix those. Then I re-read my post and usually fix things like paragraph formatting or punctuation. I never make mistakes with capitalization for whatever reason. If the post is particularly long (more than a few paragraphs, but more importantly if I'm in a debate and really trying to make a point) I'll often add something of a "concluding thoughts" paragraph at the end. Just a sentence or two that sums up my ideas in the post or something like that.

After I hit the post button I'll glance through it again, not looking for spelling but comprehension stuff, and more formatting issues. I often edit my posts; spelling, formatting, clarifying a point, adding something I forgot or removing something I'm not sure about. I used to put the reason at the bottom all the time, but now I do so only occasionally.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I edit instead of responding if someone is fewer than like 5 posts below me. No need to clutter.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'll edit in a quote of whoever I'm replying to if someone snuck in a post between mine and theirs or if the page changes.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I edit probably half of my posts, usually quickly enough to bypass the "edited at:".

I have a habit of using the same word (usually adjectives) more than once in close proximity, which is something that bugs me, and I usually try to edit it out.

Also notorious for remembering something I wanted to add right after I click post.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I edit instead of responding if someone is fewer than like 5 posts below me. No need to clutter.

You expect them to re-read the posts above them?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I usually end up editing posts to fix small typos. However, since English isn't my primary language, sometimes I write a sentence and initially think it's fine, but right after submitting the post suspicion starts nagging in the back of my head: "Hang on a minute, is this sentence structure saying what I was going to say or something else entirely?". Then I might end up editing the post a few times to get it to actually convey the message I intended for it to convey.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Yeah, I always click "view first unread" and never scroll up, so I would never see an edit unless it was made before the next post, or quoted.

Hence why I don't edit stuff out if multiple people after me. (btw, this line was added from an edit. Twice. :P)

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    GalielmusGalielmus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Often I'll see a post on page 2 or 3 and make a super witty or helpful reply. I mean, it'll be something profound and sagacious, worthy of the attention of the divine. I've often been considered for ascension to higher realms for my wisdom and understanding.

...but then I see the thread is on page 65, and that train has long left the station. So I have to make a hasty edit, something along the lines of lulzwut narf!

Galielmus on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Yeah, I always click "view first unread" and never scroll up, so I would never see an edit unless it was made before the next post, or quoted.

Hence why I don't edit stuff out if multiple people after me. (btw, this line was added from an edit. Twice. :P)

Well it is not my fault if you miss out, homps.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    broken images/links

or if i decide to expand on what i was saying in the post

usually only get grammar/spelling if it seriously detracts from the readability of the post

i also do a quick check before pressing the post button in the first place, for maybe 3/5 of the posts i write i'll realize didn't come out that well, and hit the back button

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I edit all the damn time.

Usually it's because I think of a better way to phrase whatever I typed immediately after hitting "submit reply". Or I realise that what I've typed could be ambiguous. There are plenty of people on here that will pedantically debate an unclear phrasing for three pages, even if it's immediately made clear which interpretation was intended.

Most of the time I do it quickly enough that they're ninja edits, but in complex threads it sometimes causes problems if someone has already started drafting a response to the unintended interpretation by the time I submit the edit, so if I'm typing something long or putting across a lengthy point I do try to make sure I'm not going to have to edit.

japan on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Most of my edits are because I was changing things around before I hit "post" and I left a fragment or something hanging around in the middle of a paragraph.

That, or I hit post and then notice that a more recent reply said something that I want to comment on.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I edit quite often as I cannot type at all. Also I sometimes leave in chunks of a sentence I thought I deleted making me sound like a gibbering madman.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I edit quite often as I cannot type at all. Also I sometimes leave in chunks of a sentence I thought I deleted making me sound like a gibbering madman.

Same here.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I always edit my posts.

Except this one. I hope.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    freelancerbobfreelancerbob UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So in conclusion, most of us edit posts for fairly predictable, human reasons, like spelling, clarity, or guilt over doubleposting.

I find it somewhat comforting that I am not alone in my quirks.

freelancerbob on
    What is this thing that is happening here.
  • Options
    Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I edit to fix broken formatting, but most often for clarity. I have a knack for writing posts and then immediately realizing that what I just wrote is either unclear or needs to be extrapolated on.

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I edit all the freaking time. I try to avoid adding or deleting significant content, mostly because someone might be responding to a post as I'm editing it. But I often rephrase stuff or add explanations after re-reading my post and realizing that it isn't clear.

Actually, does this kind of thing piss people off? I wonder if I should try to avoid doing it. When I've been jailed I've certainly become a much more careful poster.

Qingu on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Qingu wrote: »
    I edit all the freaking time. I try to avoid adding or deleting significant content, mostly because someone might be responding to a post as I'm editing it. But I often rephrase stuff or add explanations after re-reading my post and realizing that it isn't clear.

Actually, does this kind of thing piss people off? I wonder if I should try to avoid doing it. When I've been jailed I've certainly become a much more careful poster.

I do this all the time. I'll realize that I used the same word multiple times close together and it sounds bad, or there is a synonym that would be much clearer, or just make simple grammatical changes, but I probably edit one in every three posts or so with something small like this.

Since mods can see edits I always wonder if they find anything amusing.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sometimes I do it to sneak hidden messages into the "reason" field.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I never really finish my posts. I merely abandon them.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I usually only edit to clarify a point or reword a sentence so that it makes more sense.

Also, if an image or URL isn't posting correctly.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I edit a ton because my thought process isn't logically structured. I think in like, shapes and visual images and ideas and random shit. I don't think verbally. I do have a logic of sorts but it's almost intuistic logic rather than premise 1, premise 2, premise 3, etc. It's more like I jump to the conclusion then have to think to myself how I came to that and "do the working" in my head to explain it to someone.

So the process of any given post is basically an attempted translation of my vague "though-feeling" into these lip smacking noises people want written down.

Since I'm not very good with words without a lot of effort, I often have to proof read important posts a lot to be sure I haven't accidentally said something in a sloppy way that can be misconstrued. I think I'm getting better with practise but it's still easy to slip up and say something I don't even agree with myself when I come to reread it. :P

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sometimes I do it to sneak hidden messages into the "reason" field.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I almost always edit to go back and pull quotes from multiple posts, because I consider multiple posts in a row pretty annoying.

Oh, and spelling.
    And incorrect usage of semicolons.

And to totally mop up after drunk posting.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Generally spelling and broken links, but often there's new info I want to add and I'm still one of the final few replies in the thread, so there'd be no point adding a new one.

Also, ElJeffe is pretty much the coolest person ever.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2009
    I edit my posts frequently so I can trap people in their responses to arguments I can claim I never made.

I also edit other people's posts to make them look stupid or make myself look better.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I edit my posts frequently so I can trap people in their responses to arguments I can claim I never made.

I also edit other people's posts to make them look stupid or make myself look better.

you are the best mod ever have i told you that

wait i didnt say that

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I edit nearly every post I make. I'm a compulsive editor. Spelling, content, phrasing, grammar, punctuation, sometimes using the same adverb on the beginning and end of a clause sometimes.

That sort of thing. Also, many edits because I realize I had more to say.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    plufim wrote: »
    Also, ElJeffe is pretty much the coolest person ever.

I smell media bias.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think everyone should have access to the edit histories of all posts, not just their own.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Oh yeah, I do that too. Sometimes my brain will start fizzing away after I start discussing a topic and ideas/things to say just sort of pour out. sometimes this includes me coming to a realisation in mid post and wanting to change my position. Which I'm sure is confusing for others but I dunno what to do to fix that. :P

Morninglord on
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I usually edit my posts if they have bad grammar or spelling....or if I sound like a fucking dumbass.

Yep.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I edit nearly every post I make, and I do this because I am basically a fuck up.

Nartwak on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Nartwak wrote: »
    I edit nearly every post I make, and I do this because I am basically a fuck up.

Man ease up on yourself.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Let me tell you about my browsing habits. I used to read long threads from the start, feel like replying to a post, get to the end, and then totally forget what I wanted to respond to. Now I just open "quote" tabs as I read and c/p them all into one response.

I also discard probably 1/2 to 3/4 of all posts I write immediately because no one cares what I think on the internet (having one of those moments right now, let me tell ya).

I try to type very carefully, so my edits are usually of the "fake edit" variety where I have a fairly non-sequitur thought just as I'm about to post.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Let me tell you about my browsing habits. I used to read long threads from the start, feel like replying to a post, get to the end, and then totally forget what I wanted to respond to. Now I just open "quote" tabs as I read and c/p them all into one response.

I also discard probably 1/2 to 3/4 of all posts I write immediately because no one cares what I think on the internet (having one of those moments right now, let me tell ya).

I try to type very carefully, so my edits are usually of the "fake edit" variety where I have a fairly non-sequitur thought just as I'm about to post.

Not submitting at least half of your posts is key to being a good person.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Often. Grammar. Spelling. Perception.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Nartwak wrote: »

Didn't edit that one. I guess that's one more failure to put under your belt.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I've never understood this attitude.

It's not like extra posts cost anything.

If anything it keeps a thread that should be alive (because someone is interested in it) alive.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png