As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age: Origins: Dog armor addon this holiday season! (Gameplay tips in OP)

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited December 2009
    I actually found the party structure to be pretty rigid. I always needed Wynne, and you always need a rogue and a tank. You're options are kind of limited, and playing a DPS mage or Controller seems to best fill in the gaps.

You never need a rogue

As long as you don't mind missing out on half of the loot in the game

Tube on
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I actually found the party structure to be pretty rigid. I always needed Wynne, and you always need a rogue and a tank. You're options are kind of limited, and playing a DPS mage or Controller seems to best fill in the gaps.

You never need a rogue

Yeah, I really missed out on all those crazy salves, chainmail, and poultices. :P

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    akesoakeso Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

You never need a rogue

yeah, the crap loot.
    Rogue is mostly there for traps and backstabbing

akeso on
    primeval-warrior-sig.jpg
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2009
    I was a little annoyed at the end of the game when I realised that any good loot I got in the chests for was Rogues anyways.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I think I built my tanks sub optimally this time round. I went with big armour and high constitution and strength and I guess that was a mistake. I hear dexterity is vital. It does get a little tedious when your mighty warriors can't take down an enemy solo because they're orange and orange people are apparently utterly fucking epic.

When I play again I'll take advantage of the fact that potent lyrium potions sell for more than their components cost. It actually makes vague sense and would make things a lot less painful, most of my money went on crafting potions.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The only thing people need to know is that you can buy two, yes TWO, backpacks in Ostagar for like 10 silver.

A duck! on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Dexterity is good, but massive armor makes a huge, huge difference, so I focus on strength first every time.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

You never need a rogue

Yeah, I really missed out on all those crazy salves, chainmail, and poultices. :P

Why do they lock the box with the healing poultice, when there's a set of magical platemail in a crate completely unprotected?

zerg rush on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I think I built my tanks sub optimally this time round. I went with big armour and high constitution and strength and I guess that was a mistake. I hear dexterity is vital. It does get a little tedious when your mighty warriors can't take down an enemy solo because they're orange and orange people are apparently utterly fucking epic.

When I play again I'll take advantage of the fact that potent lyrium potions sell for more than their components cost. It actually makes vague sense and would make things a lot less painful, most of my money went on crafting potions.

Dex is really only needed to get the top shield abilities. Then pump str/con to your heart's content. I threw a few points into magic as well, so the poultices aren't complete crap.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    zerg rush wrote: »

You never need a rogue

Why do they lock the box with the healing poultice, when there's a set of magical platemail in a crate completely unprotected?

While it doesn't make any real world sense, it at least allows me to feel that I didn't gimp myself too horribly since I missed recruiting Leilanna and Zevran is
    a fucking turncoat.

chrono_traveller on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    A duck! wrote: »
    The only thing people need to know is that you can buy two, yes TWO, backpacks in Ostagar for like 10 silver.

Several things about Ostagar annoy me and that is one of them. I'm also irritated that the Warden's Keep armour is levelled so I'll feel compelled to leave it as long as I can to get the best variant.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    zerg rush wrote: »

You never need a rogue

While it doesn't make any real world sense, it at least allows me to feel that I didn't gimp myself too horribly since I missed recruiting Leilanna and Zevran is
    a fucking turncoat.

They're pretty good for stabby stab. Done right, you make those two do massive single target damage.

Just so long as you make Leilanna put the damn bow away.

akeso on
    primeval-warrior-sig.jpg
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Several things about Ostagar annoy me and that is one of them. I'm also irritated that the Warden's Keep armour is levelled so I'll feel compelled to leave it as long as I can to get the best variant.

If you miss the backpacks in Ostagar I'm pretty sure you can get one in Lothering and one later on in Denerim. I'd have to check though.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Actually, you can sell the Warden Commander armor to the vendor at Warden's Keep (for example) at a higher level and buy it back scaled. I've upgraded it to Dragonbone in this way.

Also what difficulty are you playing on Tube? On Normal being a tank is pretty straight forward. Don't even really need that much dexterity.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Same thing with the crystals in Shale's quest. I was so pissed when I went trough the Dwarf section first and got shit for it, especially because that's the only fucking source of Brilliant Crystals (or at least the only one I've ever seen).

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Taramoor wrote: »

If you miss the backpacks in Ostagar I'm pretty sure you can get one in Lothering and one later on in Denerim. I'd have to check though.

You can, but you can't get up to the maximum backpack size, which is 125.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Same thing with the crystals in Shale's quest. I was so pissed when I went trough the Dwarf section first and got shit for it, especially because that's the only fucking source of Brilliant Crystals (or at least the only one I've ever seen).

You can get them from the house if you do him late in the game

akeso on
    primeval-warrior-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    akeso wrote: »
    They're pretty good for stabby stab. Done right, you make those two do massive single target damage.

Oh, I'm sure you can. This playthrough I'm going to buddy up to both of them. Its just because of the course of events in my first playthrough that I lacked their services.

chrono_traveller on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

The crystals at shops scale as you go up in level. Come back at level 19 and they should be selling brilliants.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    a fucking turncoat.
    Only if you're a dick to him. Honestly, he only needs to be at Warm for you to convince him to stick around. Warm! That's only 25 approval!

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Blackjack wrote: »
    a fucking turncoat.
    Only if you're a dick to him. Honestly, he only needs to be at Warm for you to convince him to stick around. Warm! That's only 25 approval!
    fucking him seems to work pretty well too

akeso on
    primeval-warrior-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    a fucking turncoat.
    Thing was that I didn't do anything to gain or lose his approval. I think it might have only been around 10 just because of the few reputation altering events while he was in the party.

chrono_traveller on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Keeping everyone sweet isn't that hard. Maybe it's because I was playing pretty much good and took pretty much good people along with me. Gifts are also really powerful
    but I can't I lugged those fucking maps around all game before finding out that they're for Loghain.

Tube on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You can, but you can't get up to the maximum backpack size, which is 125.
    On a backpack related note, Gorim sells a backpack, but seemingly only later in the game.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So right now I'm at Ozrammar.

Do I have to choose to side with one of the two dwarves fighting for the throne? I don't feel right having to side with one of them without meeting them face to face.

I agree with whoever said a bit back that the dwarf in the tavern should have been a candidate. Dude sounds like he's got his shit together.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    More comments on City Elf origin(longish):
    So I'm playing through with my Mage now, and I don't know why, but I feel less involved and connected than I did with my City Elf Warrior.

It may be due to the fact that I've already beaten the game, so I have a general idea of what's to come, but I think it might be due to the origins themselves.

With the City Elf, you come from an impovished background, live in a slum, and are fucked with and treated like shit every day of your life. As a woman, you not only have to deal with these trials, but you're also seen as a whore by the human nobles; a fucktoy they can simply take and use whenever they want. Notice when Vaugahn interrupted your wedding party - Soris tells basically tells you the only reason why there was any rescue attempt at all was because Neralas, your betrothed, went ballistic on the rest of the elves who just stood by and let it happen. Neralas wasn't from your Alienage, so he didn't understand that those kind of things happen so much, the Elves learned to just take it as resisting would bring on worse punishments, due to them not having a voice in the city.

And when I returned to Denerim and the guard told me they purged the Alienage because the elves were rioting and they, "Killed the Arl's son", oh man did I feel like shit. I felt like I was directly responsible and all of my people had been massacred because I impaled Vaugahn's perverted ass like a stuck pig instead of taking his deal. That I'd made the wrong choice in helping Shianni, and that now not only was she dead, but so was the rest of my family and friends. Seeing her "spirit" show up in the Temple of Andraste sure as hell didn't make things any better either.

When you finally get to return to the Alienage and find out everyone is ok and Shianni was alive, I was actually happy! And when I found out those Tevinter fucks were capturing my people and sending them off as slaves, my father included, holy shit I was seeing red! Getting to rescue him made me happy. Then later I found out that entire bit about the Alienage being purged was a plot point that would have happened regardless of my choice or origin, which made me feel less guilt.

Overall it may just be a feeling I have since that was my first completed character, but I don't know. I think that the City Elf female origin simply has more "character" than the Mage origin. Sure, you get betrayed and kicked out of the Circle, but that's just you getting fucked with. The City Elf has a lot more on her shoulders to deal with.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Do I have to choose to side with one of the two dwarves fighting for the throne? I don't feel right having to side with one of them without meeting them face to face.

I agree with whoever said a bit back that the dwarf in the tavern should have been a candidate. Dude sounds like he's got his shit together.

You can meet with them face to face. You can follow either/both questlines up until the end as far as I know.

chrono_traveller on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    There's pretty much no justification of taking a deal wherein you leave your friends to be raped in exhange for money that doesn't make you a colossal asshole. I really enjoyed the "bloodstained bride" aspect of the city elf origin but I thought as a whole it was too quick and they could have made it more impactful. If they'd introduced the husband as a childhood friend perhaps, or just spent a little more time on characterisation. Still very well put together though, I'm just nitpicking.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The Mage Origin is basically the worst. Even worse than the Dalish Elf one, which is so bad.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

You can meet with them face to face. You can follow either/both questlines up until the end as far as I know.

Ah, okay. I thought once I decided to help one, I wouldn't be given any opportunities to side with the other. At least that's what their respective lackeys are telling me.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The Mage Origin is basically the worst. Even worse than the Dalish Elf one, which is so bad.

I liked it. I thought the harrowing was a fun quest and the whole sequence introduced magery in Dragon Age well. I think people are inclined to like the first origin they tried the best.

Tube on
  • Options
    RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Beheln had my vote...
    ...as soon as I walked into Orzammar and his follower totally axed that guy for talking shit. If he's able to inspire people to spill blood, and commands enough fear for no one to cry foul over it, that's a guy who can get shit done. That's a leader. That's your next King.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Ah, okay. I thought once I decided to help one, I wouldn't be given any opportunities to side with the other. At least that's what their respective lackeys are telling me.

I personally didn't do it, but others have said you can. And, you might notice that their respective quests stay in your journal.

chrono_traveller on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

I liked it. I thought the harrowing was a fun quest and the whole sequence introduced magery in Dragon Age well. I think people are inclined to like the first origin they tried the best.

My beef with the Mage Origin is that I feel like the
    Option to betray Jowan wasn't fleshed out enough. I wasn't going to go with his stupid plan, and because of it my recruitment into the Wardens felt completely random. It's so abrupt and reasonless, you can tell they were really counting on you not telling Irving and thus needing Duncan to bail you out.

Dwarven Commoner is still totally the best though. It was almost the last one I tried and it's awesome.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ranadiel wrote: »
    More comments on City Elf origin(longish):
    So I'm playing through with my Mage now, and I don't know why, but I feel less involved and connected than I did with my City Elf Warrior.

It may be due to the fact that I've already beaten the game, so I have a general idea of what's to come, but I think it might be due to the origins themselves.

With the City Elf, you come from an impovished background, live in a slum, and are fucked with and treated like shit every day of your life. As a woman, you not only have to deal with these trials, but you're also seen as a whore by the human nobles; a fucktoy they can simply take and use whenever they want. Notice when Vaugahn interrupted your wedding party - Soris tells basically tells you the only reason why there was any rescue attempt at all was because Neralas, your betrothed, went ballistic on the rest of the elves who just stood by and let it happen. Neralas wasn't from your Alienage, so he didn't understand that those kind of things happen so much, the Elves learned to just take it as resisting would bring on worse punishments, due to them not having a voice in the city.

And when I returned to Denerim and the guard told me they purged the Alienage because the elves were rioting and they, "Killed the Arl's son", oh man did I feel like shit. I felt like I was directly responsible and all of my people had been massacred because I impaled Vaugahn's perverted ass like a stuck pig instead of taking his deal. That I'd made the wrong choice in helping Shianni, and that now not only was she dead, but so was the rest of my family and friends. Seeing her "spirit" show up in the Temple of Andraste sure as hell didn't make things any better either.

When you finally get to return to the Alienage and find out everyone is ok and Shianni was alive, I was actually happy! And when I found out those Tevinter fucks were capturing my people and sending them off as slaves, my father included, holy shit I was seeing red! Getting to rescue him made me happy. Then later I found out that entire bit about the Alienage being purged was a plot point that would have happened regardless of my choice or origin, which made me feel less guilt.

Overall it may just be a feeling I have since that was my first completed character, but I don't know. I think that the City Elf female origin simply has more "character" than the Mage origin. Sure, you get betrayed and kicked out of the Circle, but that's just you getting fucked with. The City Elf has a lot more on her shoulders to deal with.

It's okay, everyone agrees that the mage origin sucks. Just the price you pay for ultimate power.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

Mage was my first. I like it just barely more than I like City Elf female, which was my second, which I like barely more than Human Noble, which was my third.

The rest vary between "this is okay" and "god when is this going to eeeeeeend" for me.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Nah, I tried mage first and see above.

Mage spoilers:
    I just didn't care about any of the people involved. Jowan is a whiny fuck that I'm somehow supposed to believe is my good friend from childhood despite never doing anything but bitching about the Harrowing, and Lily could be replaced with basically anyone or anything else without changing anything about the Origin.

The Harrowing was decent, but it was way, way too easy and I (personally) figured out the "twist" with Mouse right after I met Mouse so it wasn't an 'oh snap' kind of moment.

I think my personal ranking goes City Elf > Human Noble = Dwarf Commoner > Dalish Elf > Mage; haven't done Dwarf Noble yet.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    L.E.O.L.E.O. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

the dwarf commoner was kick ass, especially if your going to play a mean character, it just really fits with that personality.

L.E.O. on
  • Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So I'm trying to figure out about how far through the game I am, but I'm also trying to avoid spoilers/guides. Help would be appreciated:
    I have finished Redcliffe, so I have their support for the war. I am also about halfway through the danish/werewolf quest chain. I know I still have the dwarves to do and after that am not sure.

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    QuirkyLittleTyrantQuirkyLittleTyrant A Mug Featuring Pichu On A Cloud Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Endgame/Landsmeet Spoilers:
    So is there any way to get the entirety of the Landsmeet nobility on your side? I've done it twice now and I've been able to get everyone except this one old asshole. I get everyone to agree that I am indeed the hottest of shit and should have the power to decide who gets to rule Ferelden, and this goddamn ancient bastard is all "I SIDE WITH LOGHAIN!"

Edit: I've done everything but Human Noble now, and Dwarf Noble is by far my favorite. I would happily play a game solely based on the politics and constant backstabbing dwarven royalty has to deal with.

QuirkyLittleTyrant on
    PSN ID: Khrysocome
    Steam: ZappRowsdower
This discussion has been closed.